Why Loyalty To One Cruise Line?

MAGNUM PI

It all looks good on the surface, but no one knows how to get a nickel or dime out of your pocket like NCL. Those booking incentives do look very attractive but what they don't tell you off the bat is you still need to pay gratuities on their "free" beverage and dining packages. Then, once they have you captive on board, they nail you with $7.95 room service charges, the highest daily gratuities in the business and several other little fees. Everyone nickel and dimes, but NCL is the master at it. One way or another, the cruise lines get their money.

But getting back to the subject of this thread, if you've only sailed one line, it's good to try another line, even if its NCL.

Well the price I quoted is in fact with the gratuity added on, so again, it's really not close at all. We have NEVER ordered room service on any cruise we have been on, so that is a non-factor. We also always tip in cash, so we will simply have the gratuities removed, so also a non-factor. I think every line nickels and dimes just as much as the others.

Because you mentioned how exceptional the pricing was with NCL but that pricing is only exceptional because of the included alcohol package (which isn't completely free....you still have to pay the 18% gratuity on it).

I've been on 4 NCL cruises. Do you think I would comment on how good or bad NCL is if I had not been on at least one? :rolleyes:

Carnival has fixed time dining with the same service team.

Carnival does not charge for room service.

Carnival has much much better pizza and is open 24/7.

Carnival has bigger pools.

Carnival shows more movies and shows on the big screen TV.

Carnival has MUCH better service in the MDR and better tasting food.

Carnival has larger cabins.

Carnival doesn't charge gratuities on top of the cover charge at specialty restaurants.

Carnival has a piano bar.

Carnival has Guy's and the Blue Iguana.

Carnival hands out trophies for the winner of each game (trivia, sports, etc). On NCL, they give you points at each game which can be redeemed for something not very special at the end of the cruise.

Carnival doesn't charge a corkage fee to bring wine on the ship.

Oh, and it's Master Sergeant, not Captain. ;)

As I have mentioned, the price I quoted DOES include the gratuity so yeah...

A lot of people on here will talk trash about a line they have never even been on, so you never know.

We hate fixed time dining.

We never use room service.

NCL has O'sheehans which has many more options, and is also 24/7

All cruise ship pools are tiny and overrun with kids

I don't cruise to watch movies, but I do enjoy the big screen sometimes. Although some of the smaller ships don't have them.

Dining is completely subjective. I will hold off on the service until I get back.

All we do is sleep in the cabin, size doesn't bother me.

Don't use the specialty restaurants, why when there is so much free food??

I'll pass on the piano bar.

Guys and other are only on select ships.

LOL @ trophies.

I have the UBP, don't need to bring on wine. :cool:

Well the price I quoted is in fact with the gratuity added on, so again, it's really not close at all. We have NEVER ordered room service on any cruise we have been on, so that is a non-factor. We also always tip in cash, so we will simply have the gratuities removed, so also a non-factor. I think every line nickels and dimes just as much as the others.

Two things. One, you're wrong about the gratuities. You will still need to pay 18% gratuities on the "free" beverage package. NCL does not waive gratuites on their "free" beverage and dining packages. You must have missed the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page where it says "Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges."

Second, if you think you can "simply" remove the gratuities on board and pay in cash, you've got a surprise coming your way. NCL does not allow you to do that like the other lines do. To remove the gratuities, it has to be done after your cruise and by writing the company and giving an explanation. It can take up to 90 days to get refunded.

Two things. One, you're wrong about the gratuities. You will still need to pay 18% gratuities on the "free" beverage package. NCL does not waive gratuites on their "free" beverage and dining packages. You must have missed the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the page where it says "Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities & service charges."

Second, if you think you can "simply" remove the gratuities on board and pay in cash, you've got a surprise coming your way. NCL does not allow you to do that like the other lines do. To remove the gratuities, it has to be done after your cruise and by writing the company and giving an explanation. It can take up to 90 days to get refunded.

No I'm not wrong, where did I say I don't have to pay the gratuities?? I said the price that I quoted on here ($1500) is my total, AFTER I have paid the gratuities. The same cruise and beverage package on Carnival(on a smaller ship) would be over $2200.

I know about the policy for NCL. Either way, you still CAN get the money back, it's just after the cruise which is not a big deal.

We have been on three cruises...all with RCI. We chose them initially because we could drive to the port. When we opted for our second cruise there was so little price difference we decided to stay with them since we knew what to expect. The third one was itinerary based and we could drive to the port (again, pricing was close). However, over those three we have noticed a significant difference in the parts of the experience important to us. On each, the service was worse...not necessarily bad (though some was)...just not as good. It was things many don't put value in but we do.

I have two cousins in different parts of the country who cruise A LOT. One gets on a ship at least 4 times a year and has about 50 cruises with 5 different lines. The other goes twice a year and has cruised with 4 lines. Based on what they say about the things we value (and RCI is one of the lines they have both experienced) and how they compare to RCI we have decided to be loyal to Toyota and American. Last year was a land based vacation and this year will be a "road trip". Those family members keep talking about the "only unpack once" benefit, but we are so physically limited that handling a suitcase is a challenge.

We will probably choose a cruise again in the future...but based on what I hear and read here, the trend on service needs to make a 180 first. Either that or we will just book expecting marginal service and quality...but currently that is not something we want considering you are stuck with the line for the vast majority of the total vacation time.

A lot of people on here will talk trash about a line they have never even been on, so you never know.

We hate fixed time dining.

We never use room service.

NCL has O'sheehans which has many more options, and is also 24/7

All cruise ship pools are tiny and overrun with kids

I don't cruise to watch movies, but I do enjoy the big screen sometimes. Although some of the smaller ships don't have them.

Dining is completely subjective. I will hold off on the service until I get back.

All we do is sleep in the cabin, size doesn't bother me.

Don't use the specialty restaurants, why when there is so much free food??

I'll pass on the piano bar.

Guys and other are only on select ships.

LOL @ trophies.

I have the UBP, don't need to bring on wine. :cool:

Just as Guys is only on certain ships, O'Sheehans is only on certain ships as well.

Which grauities are included? I haven't seen anything from NCL where the specialty restaurant gratuities are included. The DSC (daily gratuities may be included in your price but I doubt the specialty restaurant are. And as you stated, why go to a specialty restaurant when so much free is available? That's exactly the way it is on Carnival and maybe that's why they have so many specialty restaurants on NCL, because their free venues are not that good. I too don't want to be forced to pay extra for food but on NCL, it's going that way to get a good meal.

Edited by TaDaaa!

Has this changed? It was not like this on the Sun back in July. We did have to wait until the last day of the cruise to modify them (did not try to remove them completely, just a slight modification due to an issue that could not be resolved).

Edited by TaDaaa!

Try MSC for a change, especially their Yacht Club.

Complimentary mini-bar.

[YOUTUBE]jVslSeyH9Ck[/YOUTUBE]

I'm not loyal to a single cruise line either. See my signature for the various cruises. To be fair, I enjoyed them all!

Yacht Club on MSC is like the Haven on NCL or the Havana Club on Carnival (Vista). Too expensive and hoity toity for my tastes.

Just as Guys is only on certain ships, O'Sheehans is only on certain ships as well.

Which grauities are included? I haven't seen anything from NCL where the specialty restaurant gratuities are included. The DSC (daily gratuities may be included in your price but I doubt the specialty restaurant are. And as you stated, why go to a specialty restaurant when so much free is available? That's exactly the way it is on Carnival and maybe that's why they have so many specialty restaurants on NCL, because their free venues are not that good. I too don't want to be forced to pay extra for food but on NCL, it's going that way to get a good meal.

A couple of BIG differences here. 1. O'Sheehans is on all but a couple of ships, and they will be converted over soon. 2. There is something similar to O'Sheehans on the ships that don't have them(Blue Lagoon). 3. It is a 24 hour eatery with a LOT of options. Guys is very limited in hours, and has burgers and fries. Also, after a certain time at night, all you can get on most Carnival ships is the pizza. That is very limiting to those of us who like to stay up later.

Again, where did I say that gratuities are included?? I said in the price I put on HERE, which was my total price(minus daily gratuities). The total for the NCL(including UBP gratuities) was about $1500. The closest Carnival cruise with Cheers included would have been over $2200. The daily gratuities are $12.00 on Carnival and $13.50 on NCL. That means you would pay a whole 21 extra dollars on NCL. But as previously mentioned, we tip in cash anyway, so this is a moot point.

Carnival(and most other cruise lines) have about as many specialty restaurants as NCL. You absolutely DON"T have to pay extra on NCL, as the MDR, O'sheehan's, Buffet, and pool grill are all free.

All but one of my cruises have been with Princess, except for one short family cruise on Carnival, and I currently have 2 more booked with Princess.

Why do I stick to Princess, you ask???

Simple!! Because I like the way Princess does things, and the itineraries, and I like the way the staff and crew of Princess ships make me feel ... pampered.

So I see no reason to try someone else. I was underwhelmed by the one Carnival cruise I took, but enjoyed that I was cruising with family. It wasn't a bad cruise, just not up to what I was accustomed to.

I thought it would be interesting, to hear WHY some loyal veteran cruisers, remain that way? I'm not challenging them in any way.

I have no issue with folks who remain loyal to one line. I can understand sticking with a product that one knows they like.

I used to be that way. I used to say things like, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and "I just like the way they do things." This was mostly because after cruising NCL in my early days, I switched to RCI and was blown away with how much better they were than NCL....so I stuck with RCI.

Now, I'll cruise most lines without hesitation (except NCL...I still think they suck). I've come to learn that fresh, new experiences and getting away from the same old experiences is so much better than cruising for loyalty. But that's just me. :)

A couple of BIG differences here. 1. O'Sheehans is on all but a couple of ships, and they will be converted over soon. 2. There is something similar to O'Sheehans on the ships that don't have them(Blue Lagoon). 3. It is a 24 hour eatery with a LOT of options. Guys is very limited in hours, and has burgers and fries. Also, after a certain time at night, all you can get on most Carnival ships is the pizza. That is very limiting to those of us who like to stay up later.

Again, where did I say that gratuities are included?? I said in the price I put on HERE, which was my total price(minus daily gratuities). The total for the NCL(including UBP gratuities) was about $1500. The closest Carnival cruise with Cheers included would have been over $2200. The daily gratuities are $12.00 on Carnival and $13.50 on NCL. That means you would pay a whole 21 extra dollars on NCL. But as previously mentioned, we tip in cash anyway, so this is a moot point.

Carnival(and most other cruise lines) have about as many specialty restaurants as NCL. You absolutely DON"T have to pay extra on NCL, as the MDR, O'sheehan's, Buffet, and pool grill are all free.

I find on average, an NCL cruise is about $100 more per person than a similar Carnival cruise. Take away the drink package and your cruise would be cheaper on Carnival as well. Also, to get one of the "free" package on NCL, you have to book an OV or higher (I usually sail Insides and no "freebies" on NCL with those cabins). I'm just trying to get you to understand you're not comparing apples to apples and you're trying to make others believe you are. I'm all for trying other lines (I've done 5 of them) but when explaining to others, I always make sure they understand all of the differences and not just the ones that I want to highlight.

As for specialty restaurants, NCL and CCL are worlds apart. Many Carnival ships only have the Steakhouse as a specialty restaurant and some also have an Italian restaurant. Most NCL ships have 5 specialty restaurants (La Cucina, Cagney's, Modernos, Tappenyaki, Le Bistro) so your statement that they are the same isn't even close. And it's my opinion that the reason service and quality is so poor in the MDR is to push people into those numerous specialty restaurants on NCL.

Enjoy your NCL cruise. I hope you have a blast. For certain reasons I too still cruise NCL even though it is my least favorite line. But I will be sure to let people who I talk cruising with know what ALL of the reasons I like or dislike a cruise line are.

Edited by TaDaaa!

I find on average, an NCL cruise is about $100 more per person than a similar Carnival cruise. Take away the drink package and your cruise would be cheaper on Carnival as well. Also, to get one of the "free" package on NCL, you have to book an OV or higher (I usually sail Insides and no "freebies" on NCL with those cabins). I'm just trying to get you to understand you're not comparing apples to apples and you're trying to make others believe you are. I'm all for trying other lines (I've done 5 of them) but when explaining to others, I always make sure they understand all of the differences and not just the ones that I want to highlight.

As for specialty restaurants, NCL and CCL are worlds apart. Many Carnival ships only have the Steakhouse as a specialty restaurant and some also have an Italian restaurant. Most NCL ships have 5 specialty restaurants (La Cucina, Cagney's, Modernos, Tappenyaki, Le Bistro) so your statement that they are the same isn't even close. And it's my opinion that the reason service and quality is so poor in the MDR is to push people into those numerous specialty restaurants on NCL.

Enjoy your NCL cruise. I hope you have a blast. For certain reasons I too still cruise NCL even though it is my least favorite line. But I will be sure to let people who I talk cruising with know what ALL of the reasons I like or dislike a cruise line are.

Thanks for your insights.:D

Man, this is VERY wrong.

As I have said MANY time now, the EXACT same cruise itinerary, on the EXACT same week on Carnival, would be over $700 dollars more.

Even if I took away the drink package on Carnival, the cruise on Norwegian WITH the drink package would be comparable to JUST the cruise on Carnival.

You are simply wrong about not getting freebies for insides, as we are booked in an inside on both of our upcoming cruises and have the freebies.

Again, to recap since you can't seem to comprehend what I'm saying. I looked at the SAME cruise itinerary, on the SAME week, with similar ships(NCL's ship is actually bigger) and with cruise fare, drink package, and port charges the NCL cruise would be $1500, the Carnival cruise would be $2240. How is that not an exact apples-apples comparison??

Again, why does it matter about the speciality restaurants, as there are so many free ones?? I'm sorry but I'm not going to agree with you on food taste because that is so subjective. As far as service, I have seen JUST as many complaints about Carnival as I have NCL. Does that mean I should believe them?? Heck no, if you only listened to negative people, you would NEVER take a cruise.

That's fine that you don't like NCL as much, but stop trying to tell me I'm wrong, when you clearly don't understand the comparison.

We have cruised on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Yes, same parent company. I would love to try some new things from time to time, but the cruises we have taken have been convenient for travel and budget reasons. We cruise as a multi-generational family- my parents, my brother/SIL/nieces, me, my husband. Our family has discovered that cruising together is a great way to spend time together, yet allows us all to explore and experience new things. We have done Caribbean itineraries. Often, the cruise is a gift from my parents. We find that Royal and Celebrity offer a product that is appealing to the majority of the family.

Our next cruise is at the end of March on the Allure. We all wanted to experience the Allure and all she has to offer. The price was right. I know that we (husband and I), and my parents are Platinum on Royal. My brother, SIL and nieces may be a higher loyalty level as they have cruised with her (SIL's) family too.

The "perks" we get are nice enough, but not compelling enough to keep us Loyal to Royal.

If the price is right for the time and itinerary we want, we would have no problem making a change.

I have no issue with folks who remain loyal to one line. I can understand sticking with a product that one knows they like.

I used to be that way. I used to say things like, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and "I just like the way they do things." This was mostly because after cruising NCL in my early days, I switched to RCI and was blown away with how much better they were than NCL....so I stuck with RCI.

Now, I'll cruise most lines without hesitation (except NCL...I still think they suck). I've come to learn that fresh, new experiences and getting away from the same old experiences is so much better than cruising for loyalty. But that's just me. :)

Well put.

I've tried a number of lines and remain inclined to keep an open mind - focusing on itinerary and price rather than some trivial "loyalty reward". The point of cruising, in my mind, is to sail when and where you want rather than to gain free laundry, Internet hours, or drink discounts.

We are just off NCL Gem (chosen because of ideal itinerary and tempting price) - which we were tempted to try once more, years after our fifth unsatisfactory NCL experience in 2010. We discovered that we had been right to avoid them, and will not repeat the mistake of giving them another shot. They only SEEM competitively priced - if you want decent service and food, you need to book Haven and eat in specialty restaurants - and that way you pay far more than you would for an enjoyable experience on Celebrity, HAL, Cunard, Princess, or Carnival.

NCL has clearly won the race to the bottom. Aside from them, we are open to whoever offers the best mix of price, timing and itinerary.

A big factor for me is that some lines charge onboard expenditure in AUS$ and others in US$ and a the moment that can make a massive difference in total spend.

Eg Celebrity ans Princess have similar prices on some drinks but then X is US$ and Princess AUS$ you are paying nearly 35% more per drink on Celebrity.

Likewise, Princess include tips in the fare (here in Aus) Celebrity charge US$25 a day (for two) extra so if the fare is he same to start with over each week that's near on Aus$200.

That sort of thing makes a difference.

A big factor for me is that some lines charge onboard expenditure in AUS$ and others in US$ and a the moment that can make a massive difference in total spend.

Eg Celebrity ans Princess have similar prices on some drinks but then X is US$ and Princess AUS$ you are paying nearly 35% more per drink on Celebrity.

Likewise, Princess include tips in the fare (here in Aus) Celebrity charge US$25 a day (for two) extra so if the fare is he same to start with over each week that's near on Aus$200.

Except that X has nearly always included the drinks package as a perk which makes it cheaper even if it is in USD.:D

We can always have a Princess vs X fight here now, Although they both have advantages,:p

We can always have a Princess vs X fight here now, Although they both have advantages,:p

I like them both, a few things we'd love to take from Celebrity and put on Princess.

Aqua Spa Cafe (Mrs Gut just loved)

Cans of soft drink instead of gun stuff

Loved the cafe (but yet to sail a Princess ship with IC, but that changes soon)

Sofa in a balcony cabin (once got that with Princess)

Hated the round ended beds on Celebrity.

I'll sail with either based on timing price and itinerary, I do wish Celebrity had a bigger presence here.

We cruise Carnival, Princess and NCL and Love them all

But for us we gamble a lot while on our cruise so mainly cruise with whoever gives us the best bang for our buck in Discounted or Free cabins, perks etc

Currently that's Carnival where our last cruise and the 2 upcoming ones had a Free Ocean View cabin and $1,500+ in cash from the casino......So it's a No Brainer currently why we're sticking with Carnival(They basically pay us to cruise ) 😜😜...plus they are a totally fun cruise line

Wow, that's pretty cool? Curious if they pay you to cruise, how much are you paying Carnival to gamble? Do you come out ahead still?

My hubby is intrigued!