Taking my nephew on a cruise, allowed?

Bastiman

I was planning to take my 12 year old nephew on a cruise in the mediterranean. Would I be allowed to? Would I need to bring some written authorization from the parents?

Anyone with similar experience is appreciated.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2815

I brought my nieces at that age - had all the required documents as outlined (notarized letter, etc.). It turns out that we checked in fine - never was asked to produce anything other than the passports. But I'd still make sure you have everything with you, just to be sure.

We brought my nephew along on our last cruise with X. We had a notarized letter signed by both parents stating the specifics of our cruise (ship, sailing week) We also took a notarized letter authorizing us to make decisions on their behalf (temporary guardianship) including medical w/his insurance info listed. We made sure he had a passport, not birth certificate. We had no issues checking in and was not asked for the information....but we had it. ;)

In addition to the notarized letter, we were told we needed a state- issued birth certificate WITH a raised seal. A photo copy will not do. Have a wonderful time!

Not all states issue BC's with a raised seal. It can't be a photocopy, but it just needs to be an official BC issued by the state.

Not all states issue BC's with a raised seal. It can't be a photocopy, but it just needs to be an official BC issued by the state.[/quote

Thanks for your information! I haven't seen the OH one, yet. I was sharing the information RCCL gave me when I called asking about our granddaughter. It is very helpful to know all states do not have the raised seal.

Caren

Why is anyone talking about birth certificate - the OP is going to the Med - everyone will need a passport, BC is useless.:confused:

Because they need to see the names of the child's parents (which are not on the passport) so they can verify that the notarized letter was signed by at least one of the child's parents. That is what I was told when I asked what documents would be required to take our grandchildren on a cruise.

Edited by DebJ14

Because they need to see the names of the child's parents (which are not on the passport) so they can verify that the notarized letter was signed by at least one of the child's parents. That is what I was told when I asked what documents would be required to take our grandchildren on a cruise.

Hmm...I wonder if that same requirement is applied by any airline for the flight to the cruise.

In addition to the notarized letter, we were told we needed a state- issued birth certificate WITH a raised seal. A photo copy will not do. Have a wonderful time!

Not all states issue BC's with a raised seal. It can't be a photocopy, but it just needs to be an official BC issued by the state.

For a cruise in the Mediterranean EVERYBODY will need a passport.

Edited by Cuizer2

You get picked on only because you are the last poster. NO, NOT EVERYONE needs a passport. The OP is from Sweden, and will NOT need a passport if the Med cruise stays within Schengen.

Technically true, BUT, with the migrant crisis recently, I was greeted by immigration folks looking for passports at the jetway upon my landing on a flight to Stockholm two weeks ago. That may become more common over the next few months.

Safest option in Europe is to take a passport just in case cruise companies change their policies on check-in and you get caught out.

When you visit some of the Med ports, you are technically expected to take your passports with you and on occasions they are checked when returning to the ship. No doubt for a EU resident (from Schengen country) an alternative photo id like driving license would suffice but why risk the hassle?

As a minimum check with the cruise line on what documentation you need to take instead of relying on advice on CC.

I have done many cruises in Europe so speaking from experience. I honestly don't understand people who go on cruises and neglect to take their passport.

Hi all

Thank you all for your input.

As TravelerThom said, I am from Sweden. The cruise start in the UK, which is not in Schengen, so passport is a given. We always travel with passport anyways. Even if it's not always needed.

As yuvraj suggested, I called the RCCL office here in Sweden today and they let me know that I would only need a notarized letter for medical decisions:

consent_zpsvcg5bkkp.png

This could be signed by a lawyer or a doctor.

We brought our granddaughter on the Enchantment of the Seas earlier this month and had a letter similar to the above. They did ask for the letter as well as written authorization that she could participate in excursions and activities. We wound up having to text her dad, who texted the authorization back, and then copy the text to an email to the woman doing our check-in so that she could print it out and maintain a copy. Everything worked out, but was a bit more complicated than we expected!

You get picked on only because you are the last poster. NO, NOT EVERYONE needs a passport. The OP is from Sweden, and will NOT need a passport if the Med cruise stays within Schengen.

Thom

See below.

Hi all

Thank you all for your input.

As TravelerThom said, I am from Sweden. The cruise start in the UK, which is not in Schengen, so passport is a given. We always travel with passport anyways. Even if it's not always needed.

As yuvraj suggested, I called the RCCL office here in Sweden today and they let me know that I would only need a notarized letter for medical decisions:

This could be signed by a lawyer or a doctor.

See below.
Even though the cruise starts in the UK (which is not within the Schengen zone), a passport is still NOT required. From an official EU website (this relates to a German citizen, but rules would be the same for a Swedish citizen)

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/faq/index_en.htm

FAQs - Travel documents for EU nationals

I am German and am planning a trip to the UK. As it is not a member of the Schengen area, can I enter the UK with my German identity card or must I present my passport?

As an EU national, you can enter the UK, or indeed any other EU country, on presentation of your official German identity card. You do not need to present your passport.

Note that if I was an EU citizen and had a passport, I'd take it with me (just as I take my passport on Closed Loop cruises out of the US). I'm not required to take my passport, but I do.

Thom

Even though the cruise starts in the UK (which is not within the Schengen zone), a passport is still NOT required. From an official EU website (this relates to a German citizen, but rules would be the same for a Swedish citizen)

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/eu-citizen/faq/index_en.htm

FAQs - Travel documents for EU nationals

I am German and am planning a trip to the UK. As it is not a member of the Schengen area, can I enter the UK with my German identity card or must I present my passport?

As an EU national, you can enter the UK, or indeed any other EU country, on presentation of your official German identity card. You do not need to present your passport.

Note that if I was an EU citizen and had a passport, I'd take it with me (just as I take my passport on Closed Loop cruises out of the US). I'm not required to take my passport, but I do.

Thom

The point is what policy the cruise line (ie. Royal Caribbean) enforces not what the EU border control requirements are. Apart of sailings out of USA that are considered domestic sailings, all other itineraries including ones out of Europe are considered international by the cruise line. Where this is the case, a passport is required.

Not by the EU, not necessarily by any individual country but by the cruise line which might choose not to let you board. I would rather take my passport than have a discussion at check-in or make assumptions regarding cruise line policy.

...Not by the EU, not necessarily by any individual country but by the cruise line which might choose not to let you board. I would rather take my passport than have a discussion at check-in or make assumptions regarding cruise line policy.
I also would much rather take my passport (and I do), but cruise line policies can be overridden much easier than national laws. Not worth the effort in this case, but I would wager money that it can be done. In November I was informed (actually hidden on page 4 of the Cruise Docs) that I would not be allowed to board an Oceania cruise from Cape Town to Rio unless I had been vaccinated against Yellow Fever - after several back-and-forths where I and others pointed out that there were no legal or medical reasons for this, Oceania changed their policy for that cruise (and I had it in writing).

However I concede that a passport is RCI's stated policy, and not worth contesting even though there is no legal requirement for an EU citizen to have a passport for a cruise within the EU.