Carnival vs. Royal (guess who wins?)

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I promised you all I would update you on my thoughts of Royal vs. Carnival. So here goes...

Food is very similar, although if I had to choose, Royal has slightly better food and Carnival has better desserts in the MDR. Royal had a "warm chocolate melting cake" that was chewy and just not good. Their cherries jubilee was not as good as Carnival's either. However Royal's MDR service was much faster which I loved! (Carnival puts you to sleep with their slow pace). Terrible coffee all around Royal Caribbean. TERRIBLE pizza as well. It just LOOKED unappetizing. Carnival's pizza is really phenomenal (I am from Chicago, I think I am a fair judge). I missed the silly entertainment in Carnival's MDR. (Royal entertained us only 2 nights on a 7 day cruise). At mealtimes at the buffet, Royal always had waters and juices pre-poured and on trays for you to just grab. I liked this much better. Beats waiting in line when you were hungry while everyone grabbed cups, filled them with ice, then filled them with drinks. However it was hard to find water/ice at non meal times (luckily we brought portable water bottles which we filled at every meal time).

Royal ships are easier to navigate. You don't need to go down then up then sideways just to get where you need to be :) I love how they had small ship models/maps on display near the elevators.

Royal has better organized parties/fun (Quest game, silent party), although Carnival does seem to be a bit more of a younger, more fun crowd. (I am 38 for reference). Hardly anyone ever danced at the disco on Royal and that made me sad. Sail away on Royal is hardly a party.

I NEVER encountered a line on Royal. Not to board, not to debark, not for food anywhere, not for THE THEATER/COMEDY CLUB (glares at Carnival Sunshine). NEVER had a problem finding a place to sit at mealtimes (again tricky at times on Sunshine!) However chair hogs are equally universal. If this is Royal Caribbean all the time I am loving it!

I missed Carnival's fish and chips and burritos. Royal never had any SNACKS (well unless you count the pizza but that was inedible to me). I missed my favorite on Carnival, Alchemy bar (you can have Guy's Burgers, I rarely eat burgers)

I loved Royal's mini movie theater on Jewel of the Seas (though I take away coolness points for having to buy $2 bags of popcorn.) I highly prefer this over those giant, obtrusive deck TV/movie screens but know I am in the minority and Jewel of the Seas is getting one soon.

Royal seems to make more effort and cleanliness/sanitation if you can believe it.

Royal's rooms and showers were smaller and beds less comfortable. As the husband said, "a large person would be in contact with the wall during the entire shower"

Royal has no constant annoying announcements onboard! This made me happy. You got maybe one a day, and that was usually from the captain.

Mostly things were more the same than different, down to the same soft serve ice cream machines, wonderful gyms, general layout, photo gallery, towel animals, muster, and great service by all of the staff.

Overall, for someone my age, CARNIVAL WINS!! The Sunshine and the annoying cutbacks caused me to look elsewhere, but as they say, the grass is not always greener. I'd say the average age on Jewel of the Seas was 55 and I just prefer a bit of a younger, more fun crowd (not 21 year old spring breakers, but mid 30's). Carnival is just more fun, more silly, even down to their marketing, and I really missed that silliness. Royal does seem to have more interesting and varied itineraries, as well as those mega ships, so I would definitely try them again...when I am older.

Edited by MISSSNOOPYGIRL

I'll agree with the great majority of what you reported above, however you must keep in mind that Jewell of the Seas is one of the smaller (only 90 K Tons) and therefor the lack of lines, etc, are to be expected. When I've sailed the larger RCI ships, the lines are horrible, and having to get a ticket for many of the events, because the venue won't hold enough people, is generally a PIA, IMO. ;) I truly like, and have always enjoyed the smaller RCI ships, but doubt that I'll ever sail one of their "megaships" again.

THANKS for the report, and opinions.

"SKY"

Many of the RC ships do have snacks available and for no xtra charge. Cafe Promenade is open just about all the time except when in port. Large selection of mini sandwiches, desserts and cookies as well as coffee, tea, cocoa and water are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by tilliebob1919

Many of the RC ships do have snacks available and for no xtra charge. Cafe Promenade is open just about all the time except when in port. Large selection of mini sandwiches, desserts and cookies as well as coffee, tea, cocoa and water are available.

Does any RC ship have anything close to the Cloud 9 Spa?

Thanks for your review, i have sailed Royal Caribbean twice and Carnival 6 times and i agree that for us too, Carnival wins.

About the lines, Royal definitely has them! Also when we sailed on adventure of the seas, they have the big shopping mall down the centre of the ship that is several decks high, it meant that we couldnt see out, but more importantly, when they had sales, or anything happening in that area it was jam packed, and so difficult to get from one end of the ship to the other. It made the ship feel very enclosed and crowed to me :(

Serenade of the seas was the total opposite though, and beautiful, lots of glass, very open, and one of my favourite over all ships :)

Upon reading the review, I had the same feeling as Mango Mike: it seemd that most of the positives were for Royal, then, at the end, when the "verdict" was made, it didn't seem supported by the details. So, because I have to be sitting here right now any way, I thought I'd test this by making a visual aid out of OP's P.:p

All positive statements about Royal are in bold red, with supporting positive details (or negatives about Carnival) in regular red. All positive statements about Carnival are in bold green, with supporting details (or negatives about Royal) in regular green. Neutral comments, as well as the final, "verdict" paragraph, I left blue.

My conclusion: it looks like a lot more red than green, so it still looks like most of the points went to Royal, but Carnival was judged winner, anyway. That's fine OP, I'm not trying to imply your opinion isn't valid or anything.:o And I do appreciate your time and effort spent in writing the review.:)

It's just confusing, after reading everything that leads up to it, that your final paragraph opening statement that begins with "Overall" (and thus seems like a conclusion arrived at from a logical accumulation of points in the entire post) ends with "CARNIVAL WINS!!".:confused:

I promised you all I would update you on my thoughts of Royal vs. Carnival. So here goes...

Food is very similar, although if I had to choose, Royal has slightly better food and Carnival has better desserts in the MDR. Royal had a "warm chocolate melting cake" that was chewy and just not good. Their cherries jubilee was not as good as Carnival's either. However Royal's MDR service was much faster which I loved! (Carnival puts you to sleep with their slow pace). Terrible coffee all around Royal Caribbean. TERRIBLE pizza as well. It just LOOKED unappetizing. Carnival's pizza is really phenomenal (I am from Chicago, I think I am a fair judge). I missed the silly entertainment in Carnival's MDR. (Royal entertained us only 2 nights on a 7 day cruise). At mealtimes at the buffet, Royal always had waters and juices pre-poured and on trays for you to just grab. I liked this much better. Beats waiting in line when you were hungry while everyone grabbed cups, filled them with ice, then filled them with drinks. However it was hard to find water/ice at non meal times (luckily we brought portable water bottles which we filled at every meal time).

Royal ships are easier to navigate. You don't need to go down then up then sideways just to get where you need to be :) I love how they had small ship models/maps on display near the elevators.

Royal has better organized parties/fun (Quest game, silent party), although Carnival does seem to be a bit more of a younger, more fun crowd. (I am 38 for reference). Hardly anyone ever danced at the disco on Royal and that made me sad. Sail away on Royal is hardly a party.

I NEVER encountered a line on Royal. Not to board, not to debark, not for food anywhere, not for THE THEATER/COMEDY CLUB (glares at Carnival Sunshine). NEVER had a problem finding a place to sit at mealtimes (again tricky at times on Sunshine!) However chair hogs are equally universal. If this is Royal Caribbean all the time I am loving it!

I missed Carnival's fish and chips and burritos. Royal never had any SNACKS (well unless you count the pizza but that was inedible to me). I missed my favorite on Carnival, Alchemy bar (you can have Guy's Burgers, I rarely eat burgers)

I loved Royal's mini movie theater on Jewel of the Seas (though I take away coolness points for having to buy $2 bags of popcorn.) I highly prefer this over those giant, obtrusive deck TV/movie screens but know I am in the minority and Jewel of the Seas is getting one soon.

Royal seems to make more effort and cleanliness/sanitation if you can believe it.

Royal's rooms and showers were smaller and beds less comfortable. As the husband said, "a large person would be in contact with the wall during the entire shower"

Royal has no constant annoying announcements onboard! This made me happy. You got maybe one a day, and that was usually from the captain.

Mostly things were more the same than different, down to the same soft serve ice cream machines, wonderful gyms, general layout, photo gallery, towel animals, muster, and great service by all of the staff.

Overall, for someone my age, CARNIVAL WINS!! The Sunshine and the annoying cutbacks caused me to look elsewhere, but as they say, the grass is not always greener. I'd say the average age on Jewel of the Seas was 55 and I just prefer a bit of a younger, more fun crowd (not 21 year old spring breakers, but mid 30's). Carnival is just more fun, more silly, even down to their marketing, and I really missed that silliness. Royal does seem to have more interesting and varied itineraries, as well as those mega ships, so I would definitely try them again...when I am older.

Edited by ShakyBeef

Good review / opinion. However in the end its just opinions.

We just went on Valor and felt like the average cruiser age was 60.

Maybe it depends on when you travel and where you depart from...

Having been on Carnival and RCL multiple times I would say that RCL is better...I would still (and most likely will) go on Carnival again though.

Having only done one Carnival cruise 16 years ago and being on 6 or so cruises with RCCL.... I am thankful for your review.

I have done the mega ships, the smaller ships and all other lines too.

I appreciated what you wrote about RCCL vs Carnival.

It made sense to me.

We are heading on Magic next spring with our (then) 15 +12 year olds. We can't wait for the FUN to begin!

Thanks again!!

Chass.

The OP pointed out some features that were better on RC, however I think what ultimately made him choose Carnival was the overall atmosphere of Carnival with the younger average age crowed and overall silliness of the Carnival brand. Not to say older people aren't fun, I've met many older cruisers and they were a blast to hang around. For me what's makes or breaks a cruise are the strangers around you and how interesting and fun they are. I get the impression that some of that familiar fun was missing on RC.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Thanks for your review. I agree with many of your points.

I like both lines but do prefer Carnival and a big reason is the terrible beds and pillows on Royal - extremely hard, thin mattresses and flat pillows.

We haven't experienced a difference in dinner service though between the two lines. I give an edge to Carnival MDR, mainly because I like entrees and desserts better.

Overall though, we do like the Promenade (and Café Promenade) on Royal, we like their MDR food, like the service, and like that they have interior accessible cabins that easily sleep 3 which makes Royal an option when looking for a cruise. I will only book Royal thought if the price is right and if they have a Freestyle Coke Machine on board (learned that one after our Navigator cruise).

The OP pointed out some features that were better on RC, however I think what ultimately made him choose Carnival was the overall atmosphere of Carnival with the younger average age crowed and overall silliness of the Carnival brand. Not to say older people aren't fun, I've met many older cruisers and they were a blast to hang around. For me what's makes or breaks a cruise are the strangers around you and how interesting and fun they are. I get the impression that some of that familiar fun was missing on RC.

That's the conclusion I came to, as well. But my point was that upon reading the whole post together, the conclusion paragraph doesn't seem to be a logical part of the whole, which made it kind of jarring. I guess I'm reading and processing the review as an entire composition and expecting a sort of logical flow, as I unconsciously and automatically do with most things I read. (I read A LOT.:o)

The 'verdict' statement beginning with the word "Overall" at the conclusion of a review would logically be followed by the 'winner' announced being the same cruiseline with the preponderance of the 'points' in its favour. But the OP's "Overall" is followed by seemingly the opposite. Even though it does seem she meant she chose Carnival mainly for the younger, more fun crowd, this is not the message that the whole post seems to set out to express.

The choice of that one word, "Overall", I think, is what caused the jarring effect for me. If the final paragraph had begun with "All that being said", or "Despite all the good things about Royal", or some such phrasing, the whole would have been perfectly congruous.:)

OP, please don't get me wrong: I am not trying to disparage you or your review. I mean absolutely no offense, and hope that you don't take it as such. I'm just trying to explain why I (and possibly Mango Mike) found the conclusion to not 'match' the review. I guess it comes down to it's an issue about me, not you. I'm a bit of a word geek.:o

I am on the same page as you. I think her positives were a bit skewed towards RCL, but I get the feeling she preferred the energy that CCL has.

If you had cruised on RC during peak season you probably would have seen a better cross section of age groups. Off season draws an older crowd.

I got the impression from your review that you enjoyed your experience on Jewel of the Seas. You may want to give RC another try on one of the larger ships.

Edited by JimAOk1945

The problem I see with threads like this - threads that compare 2 cruise experiences - is they aren't really cruise line comparisons. In fact, they're ship comparisons. The OP doesn't like the atmosphere on Carnival better than RCI. The OP likes the atmosphere on Sunshine better than Jewel. Had the RCI ship been Voyager and the Carnival ship Spirit, the results would probably be different.

To the OP - Sunshine is a pretty good representation of Carnival because the ship design and atmosphere is pretty standard across most of their ships. However, Jewel is only 1 of 4 ships that are in a unique ship class for RCI. For a better feeling of the overall RCI product, I recommend sailing a Voyager, Freedom, Oasis or Quantum Class ship.

Yeah I was just looking for chips, or chips n salsa, or small finger foods. I wanted something like that, not a dessert. They had free (not very good) pastries at coffee shop

Somewhat confused. From your "mini review", most of your comments were in favor of Royal yet you say Carnival wins - ???

They were really so equal, it's hard to choose, but I was really missing that FUN factor that Carnival offers so fun trumps all. My 58 year old mom agreed, she missed the fun of Carnival. We were docked next to a Carnival ship one day and I was SOOOO wistful, wanting to board that instead.

nailed it :)

It was just no fun when practically the whole ship went to bed at 9:30