Stay away from RC.

ajsimo12

Yes, it does matter how much they make, because that is usually the reason that many jobs, particularly in the US, involve customary tipping - because they are rather low paying jobs that rely on tipping to supplement the pay. Otherwise, no one really "deserves" a tip, unless they are going above and beyond their normal job description to help you out. And handing bags to a porter, so he can load them onto a cart, is not exactly above and beyond.

So, yeah, how much they earn for doing that would normally be a major factor in whether tipping is customary or not.

It's a little fuzzy with porters, because those who help you with your bags at airports or hotels are usually in low paying jobs, and tipping is customary. At ports, sometimes it's the same; other times, the porters are union longshoremen who make relatively high wages and don't really need to rely on tips. So, personally, I just tip a little and don't worry about it, but the money they make does factor into it, and it would seem a bit tacky to be accepting tips if you're already paid generously for what you're doing.

Sorry, it still seems to be job or task oriented but also where they work.

Porters get tips in most places but it sounds like not at these ports, cabbies get tips but not hire cars, waiters get tips but only when in a restaurant and not a fast food place. It seems to me to be a very messy situation for tourists,. we never know when we should tip or when not to.:confused:

Edited by MicCanberra

Sorry, it still seems to be job or task oriented but also where they work. porter get tips in most places but it sounds like not at these ports, cabbies get tips but not hire cars, waiters get tips but only when in a restaurant and not a fast food place. It seems to me to be a very messy situation for tourists,. we never know when we should tip or when not to.:confused:

As I said, I tend to tip anyone who helps me with my bags, because that's generally a low-paying job that relies at least partly on tips. I don't spend time worrying about how much they make, even though I do think it would be tacky for someone to accept tips, if they were making high wages.

As for cabbies vs. car hires, I don't think there is a difference in tipping. (If by car hire, you mean a private car service with driver. Some use that term to mean what we would call a rental car, which you drive yourself. That would not involve a tip.)

Fast food restaurants generally don't have waiters, but if they do, I usually leave a tip. A cashier is not the same as a waiter.

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be, but I do understand that some people seem to over-complicate it on these boards. Especially the cruise line tipping. They've made it as simple as possible - just accept the automatic daily gratuities, and you don't have to think about it at all.

I have to admit I struggled with this story. I can't imagine giving my luggage to a clown that got in my face and demanded a tip. Either oblige him or move on to the next porter. I've never had a porter demand a tip. I also can't imagine a room steward returning to the cabin to try an explain away an alleged 'sex toy' that had been left in the cabin and subsequently thrown in the trash.

Card mix ups happen and I'd be pissed about it but I never take my card back without making sure it's mine. I guess it's a little paranoia I have. I also agree that the manager probably didn't intentionally set the OP up on a cancelled excursion. Some times I think when people have a less than acceptable experience on a ship, and it does happen, they sign up the next day on Cruise Critic and stretch the story out of anger. Like others here, that just my opinion. Sorry if it ruffles any feathers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, it does matter how much they make, because that is usually the reason that many jobs, particularly in the US, involve customary tipping - because they are rather low paying jobs that rely on tipping to supplement the pay. Otherwise, no one really "deserves" a tip, unless they are going above and beyond their normal job description to help you out. And handing bags to a porter, so he can load them onto a cart, is not exactly above and beyond.

So, yeah, how much they earn for doing that would normally be a major factor in whether tipping is customary or not.

It's a little fuzzy with porters, because those who help you with your bags at airports or hotels are usually in low paying jobs, and tipping is customary. At ports, sometimes it's the same; other times, the porters are union longshoremen who make relatively high wages and don't really need to rely on tips. So, personally, I just tip a little and don't worry about it, but the money they make does factor into it, and it would seem a bit tacky to be accepting tips if you're already paid generously for what you're doing.

I think that is part of the main problem of tipping in the US. It's not across the board, and people are confused. Some countries that don't accept tips, just don't accept them for anyone. Here who knows who you are supposed to tip. I got my butt handed to me once about not tipping the salon owner after a haircut. The owner doesn't have to rent a stall, and gets the full price of the service. Sure she rents her salon space, but also collects all the stall rents from her hairstylists. But at the same time, tips are always appreciated no matter how little or how much. We used to own a bike shop, and it was just us two. We would charge for a service, and still many times we would get a tip on top of it. Not necessary but heck yeah we took it.

So if the porters/longshoremen really make that much, tipping isn't necessary. $70k+/year? That's good money! If they really make that much, why do they always seem upset? Do they fake being upset to get tips? How does one become a unionized longshoreman? Is it mainly a position you can get without schooling? If so, I'd be happy making that much with no schooling.

I think the soap has valid points, and I think people should be a little more empathetic versus saying "get over it." Particularly, the OP stated he saved a lot for this trip. While he doesn't indicate what "a lot" is, I think most people can agree that amount varies depending on how much a person makes and spends typically. Without knowing what he and his wife do for a living (and I would never ever ask, not my business), I will go with the assumption that whether they were staying in a Royal suite or an inside cabin, this was a lot of money to them, and they probably used a good chunk of vacation time, and they did experience a series of unfortunate events that I would agree might make me say "never again." I'm loyal to Royal, and I've never had a bad cruise, but I have had experiences in my life that make me say "never again."

For me, I've always had jobs where my max time off at any given time is one week, so if I spent all my vacation money and used as much as I could at once and got little joy out of it, I would be very upset, too. Everyone has different things that bother them. Some people have more than others, but I don't feel like this is the case here.

And many people only get ONE week off, and cannot do two or three days pre and post cruise, and shouldn't get nagged about flying in the day of! Or like us, own our own business, no employees, so when we take off, our business is closed, no money coming in and no paid vacation time, so if anything goes wrong, it's even more upsetting. I cannot agree with a bad day at sea is better than a day at work, bc I am not getting paid vacation time.

As I said, I tend to tip anyone who helps me with my bags, because that's generally a low-paying job that relies at least partly on tips. I don't spend time worrying about how much they make, even though I do think it would be tacky for someone to accept tips, if they were making high wages.

As for cabbies vs. car hires, I don't think there is a difference in tipping. (If by car hire, you mean a private car service with driver. Some use that term to mean what we would call a rental car, which you drive yourself. That would not involve a tip.)

Fast food restaurants generally don't have waiters, but if they do, I usually leave a tip. A cashier is not the same as a waiter.

It's not as complicated as you're making it out to be, but I do understand that some people seem to over-complicate it on these boards. Especially the cruise line tipping. They've made it as simple as possible - just accept the automatic daily gratuities, and you don't have to think about it at all.

Thanks and that is what I do.

After reading about the experience and going through the responses I have a request;

Would all of you who have the "Oh well, stuff happens." attitude start buying millions from our company? That way we can totally mess up the order, provide horrible customer service with a don't bother me attitude and not fear losing business.

Geez...are you people really that afraid of standing up for yourself and demanding a company deliver something at least close to what they advertise?

Just my opinion...your mileage may vary.

First, no one buys "millions" from RCCL or the porters. But I bet people with "stuff happens" attitude DO buy from "your company." Or is "your company" the only company in the entire world that never makes a mistake? Heck, when I was younger I worked for my Dad's company. My Dad was a fantastic businessman, and was the most honest and ethical person I know. My title when I worked for him: "Claims Manager." I handled all the claims for issues that arose. But you know what? I had a lot of people who wanted "blood" for minor mistakes. I also had a lot of people who just simply realize "stuff happens." Was the Porter correct? Heck no! But he also wasn't representative of ALL the porters. 27 cruises and we've always been treated with nothing but a smile and a cheerful greeting from all the porters we've come in contact with.

I am a pilot for a major airlines. Believe me, STUFF DOES HAPPEN. So... you can deal with it as the anomaly it is, or you can let it fester like an open wound and ruin your entire day.

First, no one buys "millions" from RCCL or the porters. But I bet people with "stuff happens" attitude DO buy from "your company." Or is "your company" the only company in the entire world that never makes a mistake? Heck, when I was younger I worked for my Dad's company. My Dad was a fantastic businessman, and was the most honest and ethical person I know. My title when I worked for him: "Claims Manager." I handled all the claims for issues that arose. But you know what? I had a lot of people who wanted "blood" for minor mistakes. I also had a lot of people who just simply realize "stuff happens." Was the Porter correct? Heck no! But he also wasn't representative of ALL the porters. 27 cruises and we've always been treated with nothing but a smile and a cheerful greeting from all the porters we've come in contact with.

I am a pilot for a major airlines. Believe me, STUFF DOES HAPPEN. So... you can deal with it as the anomaly it is, or you can let it fester like an open wound and ruin your entire day.

I understand your point. However, some people work in professions where "stuff is NOT allowed to happen" as the expectation is perfection. And when that expection is not met people run to lawyers. People tend to approach issues according to their lot in life and are not always able to adjust to changing environments. Again, I completely agree with your post but I do see how some people may have issues coping. They place the expectations that other place them onto other people that they encounter.

It seems that a lot of narcissist sail the 7 seas. If it didnt happen to him or her it did not happen at all !

I cant believe Im about to agree with you :eek: I see that mentality on a daily basis on cruise forums and cruise social media outlets!

As far as Porters goes. I tip them. Everytime. I could not care less if they are making minimum wage or 100.00 an hour. They will get a few bucks per bag from me. Everytime.

I agree, "stuff happens".... I can deal with mediocre or even bad service from an uncaring, unmotivated worker (or one just having a bad day). I still tip unsmiling porters, cab drivers, bartenders, etc...... But, if I have an angry porter cursing/yelling and getting aggressively in my face demanding a tip..... that is so over the line that I would look for another porter to deal with, a supervisor or something. That is unacceptable behavior way beyond a "stuff happens" level. That guy, if true, should be unemployed now.

It seems that a lot of narcissist sail the 7 seas. If it didnt happen to him or her it did not happen at all !

Who is saying it didn't happen? I don't know about on the 7 seas, but there are quite a few people on this forum who like to exaggerate any kind of negative or questioning reaction. :rolleyes:

First, no one buys "millions" from RCCL or the porters. But I bet people with "stuff happens" attitude DO buy from "your company." Or is "your company" the only company in the entire world that never makes a mistake? (1) Heck, when I was younger I worked for my Dad's company. My Dad was a fantastic businessman, and was the most honest and ethical person I know. My title when I worked for him: "Claims Manager." I handled all the claims for issues that arose. But you know what? I had a lot of people who wanted "blood" for minor mistakes. I also had a lot of people who just simply realize "stuff happens." (2)Was the Porter correct? Heck no! But he also wasn't representative of ALL the porters. 27 cruises and we've always been treated with nothing but a smile and a cheerful greeting from all the porters we've come in contact with.

(1) Do you always take comments so literally? You may be correct, they do buy from us. If they do, I can assure you they are not a regular customer and we wither have never messed up their order badly or they are hypocrites. I say that because on the rare occasions when we really screw up an order we hear about it and they expect us to make it right.

(2) Even if you consider everything the OP experienced to be "minor" (and I don't), when you had to deal with a customer who your Dad's company had fallen short multiple times on THE SAME ORDER did you not go out or your way to do more for them? Seems to me all the OP was wanting was someone to stem the tide. I understand the customer is not always right. But the are always the customer. Them being right or wrong is really completely irrelevant...you still have an upset customer to deal with.

(3) Human nature is such that there comes a time where enough is enough. I'm fairly certain you have heard the phrase "the straw that broke the camel's back". Personally, I can deal with a mistake or two. It is when I deal with, what I perceive to be, a complete lack of caring or ability that I tend to get "pushed to the edge". On our last cruise we encountered that while trying to correct multiple errors made by the staff on the ship that resulted in us being charged significant amounts for things we did not want or get. All our efforts to correct them, and moving up the chain of command, were fruitless. It was only when I decided to "make a scene" at the counter in plain view and earshot of several others that someone, either with the authority or drive, stepped forward to finally resolve most of the problems (we still had to wait several weeks to get our money back).

Edited by TC1957