Would You Take 2nd Best Rather Than Not Cruise At All?

babs135

I've, for lack of a better word, "settled" the 2 prior cruises to our most recent one. I've wanted to sail Oasis since it debuted, and was booked on it in Jan 2011. We cancelled that cruise because we did a pool the prior year and spent more than we planned (go figure). Ended up later on booking a 5 day on Navigator. 2 years later, we really wanted to cruise again, couldn't afford Oasis again, couldn't afford Carnival Breeze 8 day route and settled on Carnival Dream for price. After 3 years, I decided we were doing the Oasis this time, no matter what, I booked it far enough in advance to make payments. Had a great time. The other cruises by no means sucked but they weren't what we were after at the time.

For me, it would depend partly on what the two choices are. Which cruise lines? What are the itineraries? Is your "second choice" a cruise line you've never been on before, and you have some doubts about? If you opt not to go on a cruise at all, what would your Plan C be? If you go with cruise "B", don't look at it as settling for second best, but rather as an opportunity to try something different and still have a fun vacation.

I deliberately did not mention the cruise lines because they are as different as chalk from cheese, but I will say that we have sailed with both before so know what to expect, although the second choice is a new ship with some quite different features to our earlier sailing. Second choice also includes a stay in New York which is very appealing.

I was just curious what other people thought and would do in similar circumstances.

My great-grandfather (born approx 1855) used to have two days holiday a year, Christmas Day and Boxing Day. When asked if they felt hard done to by that, he said no, because that's all anyone had. In other words, there was no-one to be envious of.

If, going on the cheaper cruise, you're going to be envious of your former selves because you couldn't have the more expensive one, then don't go. If you're just going to go on holiday knowing it's the best holiday you could have, then go. (I'm assuming you had a good time on that line first time round, otherwise you wouldn't be considering it at all.)

24 hours on from my opening post I have reread it and decided I sounded rather pathetic. Looking at some of my friends and the problems they face on a daily basis I should be grateful that I can at least think about taking a cruise at the end of the year - they would bite my hand off to have the opportunity.

If someone had said to me 10/15 years ago that DH and I would be in a position to take 2 holidays a year (3 on one memorable occasion) I would have laughed at them and said 'no chance', but chance came and we have been lucky and indeed privileged to have had some fantastic holidays, both on land and on sea.

Whatever decision we make, and it might be something completely different to my opening comments, I know we will have a great time.

Thank you for listening to me, for your advice and if I remember I'll come back and tell you what we did - even if it was a stay at home holiday (hope not :D)

Let me try and explain. At the moment due to both financial and other reasons we are not able to book anything :( however I am tracking two similar cruises for December. Hopefully everything will be sorted out by then and we can actually book something.

And here is the reason for the heading. Both of us prefer one cruise more than the other, but naturally 'the other' is considerably cheaper and would probably be the one we would book. But would we be happy, knowing that we really would rather be on another cruise and should we just cut our losses and say that this year is a cruise-less year (Nooooo).

Having said all of that, I know we would have a great time regardless of which cruise we chose, it's just the thought that in the back of our minds we really would have preferred the other one.

Why is life suddenly complicated :eek:

Do the one you can afford and be happy about it. IMO, a cruise is always better than no cruise.:D

But would we be happy, knowing that we really would rather be on another cruise and should we just cut our losses and say that this year is a cruise-less year (Nooooo).

Having said all of that, I know we would have a great time regardless of which cruise we chose, it's just the thought that in the back of our minds we really would have preferred the other one.

If it's just a matter of knowing it wasn't my first choice and I'd still be happy, then yes, I'd take it. If it were a matter of needing to take something I know I probably wouldn't like (like booking an inside cabin), then I'd rather not cruise. I'm definitely happy with second (or even third) choices, but I'd rather pass than take something that I wouldn't have ever chosen at all.

Let me try and explain. At the moment due to both financial and other reasons we are not able to book anything :( however I am tracking two similar cruises for December. Hopefully everything will be sorted out by then and we can actually book something.

And here is the reason for the heading. Both of us prefer one cruise more than the other, but naturally 'the other' is considerably cheaper and would probably be the one we would book. But would we be happy, knowing that we really would rather be on another cruise and should we just cut our losses and say that this year is a cruise-less year (Nooooo).

Why is life suddenly complicated :eek:

We had to cancel our CCL Glory/NY/Washington DC land/cruise vacation due to a death in the family the day before our cruise. We wanted to make up for it that year but the only thing that fit our schedules was a 4 day CCL Destiny Cruise over Thanksgiving. We took it and were very glad we did. We had fun and a well deserved break from life....we ended up rebooking the same vacation we had to cancel for the next year and never regretted our decision.

Generally speaking, I would take my second choice over nothing, because I'm always running on the (admittedly, possibly mistaken) assumption that there's always next time.

BUT, that really depends on what the 2 lines you're choosing between, what the itineraries are, and whether or not this is "the vacation of a lifetime."

The lines we cruise are similar enough to each other in what they offer (that we care about), that that wouldn't matter to us.

As for itinerary, well, that is THE most important to us, so if we have to choose between, say, Europe or (ho hum) yet another week in the Caribbean, we'd likely hold off, unless something came up that was too affordable to miss at the same time as "oh my gawd, we need a vacation STAT".

My first two cruises were "on the cheap side" and we were in ocean view cabins.

My third cruise, was also a cheap sale, but it was for a Jr. Suite with a balcony. After that cruise, I decided I wouldn't sail again without a balcony.

If I couldn't afford a balcony, I would stay home and save until I could.

I cruise for the itinerary, not the ship. I'm not interested in cruising, just to cruise.

But to come on an open forum with the question, must mean you have your doubts too. Only you can make the ultimate decision.

December, you say... do you have to book time off work, or are you free to just go? Unless it's over Christmas, Dec. can be the ideal time for a last minute bargain... And if you're sailing in Europe, then a balcony's mainly pointless. ;)

I'd choose the better cruise line if at all possible. I'd rather sail in an inside cabin on a good cruise ship than in a suite on a bad one.

One of my friends let me know how miserable she was on a cruise line. I knew from the moment she told me about the trip that she probably wouldn't be happy. I kept the info to myself. It was a cruise with her husband's company and employees--a whole-ship charter. Since he was fairly high up, they got to be in one of the suites. But the food and entertainment and service were not up to what she was used to on better cruise lines. (And by better, I mean Celebrity and Princess, not the ultra-pricey ones.)

December, you say... do you have to book time off work, or are you free to just go? Unless it's over Christmas, Dec. can be the ideal time for a last minute bargain... And if you're sailing in Europe, then a balcony's mainly pointless. ;)

They are both Xmas cruises which is what we want.

If it was a choice between only an inside cabin or not cruising, I would not cruise. There is no way my DH or myself could stand an inside cabin. But, if it was an itinerary that wasn't my favorite of a choice, but much less expensive (and we do have a tight budget), I would chose the less expensive cruise. In fact, just today, I did this. Took advantage of the Princess $1 deposit Leap Day special. Had my eye on 3 cruises- a 7 night to Amber Cove, St Thomas, and St Kitts, an 8 day to the ABC islands, and an 8 day to Amber Cove, St Thomas, St Kitts, and Grand Turk. The two 8 day cruises were about $300 pp more for a similar cabin category, enough that I thought it was unaffordable and went with the 7 nt cruise. Am I happy with my choice? You bet I am! I get to visit 2 new ports, I have a vacation to look forward to after my very busy work schedule leading up to and including Christmas week, and I get to be on a cruise with my husband, for an entire week! So, if budget is an issue like it is with me, go for the less expensive cruise, and I guarantee you will have a wonderful time.

Have any of our comments been of help?

I am always curious if when we present varying opinions it helps the OP narrow their choices or sway them one way or another.

Good point, although I always think the person asking just wants confirmation on what they have already 95% decided.

If it was a choice between only an inside cabin or not cruising, I would not cruise. There is no way my DH or myself could stand an inside cabin. But, if it was an itinerary that wasn't my favorite of a choice, but much less expensive (and we do have a tight budget), I would chose the less expensive cruise. In fact, just today, I did this. Took advantage of the Princess $1 deposit Leap Day special. Had my eye on 3 cruises- a 7 night to Amber Cove, St Thomas, and St Kitts, an 8 day to the ABC islands, and an 8 day to Amber Cove, St Thomas, St Kitts, and Grand Turk. The two 8 day cruises were about $300 pp more for a similar cabin category, enough that I thought it was unaffordable and went with the 7 nt cruise. Am I happy with my choice? You bet I am! I get to visit 2 new ports, I have a vacation to look forward to after my very busy work schedule leading up to and including Christmas week, and I get to be on a cruise with my husband, for an entire week! So, if budget is an issue like it is with me, go for the less expensive cruise, and I guarantee you will have a wonderful time.

For me it needs to be the right itinerary and then cabins don't matter so much.

Have any of our comments been of help?

I am always curious if when we present varying opinions it helps the OP narrow their choices or sway them one way or another.

You have all been of help in pointing out that I had said that we would be happy with which ever cruise we chose.

If it was a choice between only an inside cabin or not cruising, I would not cruise.

Our concession to be able to cruise more often has been an inside cabin. Only time we had a balcony was when we were upgraded. Loved it, but not necessary (who am I kidding :))