Nassau for the uninitiated.

babs135

Majority of the people that say Nassau is unsafe usually have never left the comfort of a 1st world country. Just because the area doesn't look like home doesn't mean everyone that lives there is out to get you. Tourism is a huge part of their economy, robbing all visitors wouldn't help tourism.

Everyone wants paradise and they want it ASAP. Yes, the beach by the dock is unimpressive and gets crowded, But taking a taxi or walking a bit will pay off immensely in finding a more spacious beach area. The port is whatever you make of it.

Majority of the people that say Nassau is unsafe usually have never left the comfort of a 1st world country. Just because the area doesn't look like home doesn't mean everyone that lives there is out to get you. Tourism is a huge part of their economy, robbing all visitors wouldn't help tourism.

Everyone wants paradise and they want it ASAP. Yes, the beach by the dock is unimpressive and gets crowded, But taking a taxi or walking a bit will pay off immensely in finding a more spacious beach area. The port is whatever you make of it.

Perfectly stated!

I have been to Nassau 14 times, i still enjoy going there, even if nothing more than hitting up Jankanoo Beach and stopping at Fat Tuesdays and Senor Frogs, i still manage to have fun.

Are there pushy people outside the port trying to sell you things? Yes. Just need to say no thank you and keep moving.

I have never felt unsafe any time I have been there.

-Matt

I don't even get off the ship anymore in Nassau. In my opinion NCL's Port Canaveral , GSC, Nassau itinerary is the least desirable offered.

Thanks for that-not!! Just the itinerary I was looking at :eek:

Seriously, it's absolutely ages since we visited the Space Centre so are happy with this and a cruise is better than being at home :D

I was also disappointed by reading the reviews and comments on these threads...however, when we got off the ship, we expected to see the vendors and the crowds, but once we were passed that, we truly enjoyed the shops and food and people. We didn't feel unsafe there at all.

Do your homework/research and find a destination there that you will want to visit or book a tour you would like to take. Once you get out of the sea of vendors (haha), grab a taxi and off you go!

Enjoy the Bahamas!

Anytime you step outside of your house the level of safety decrease. Leaving the ship in Nassau is no different. I had no concerns over my safety, but didn't venture out of the downtown area. The people in the immediate port area are pushy, but a firm no thank you generally moved them along. I did have one taxi driver that was determined to give me a ride, but it was nothing simply asserting yourself saying no and walking away would not solve. Once we made it out of the secure port area we were not hassled by anyone and enjoyed our abridged walking tour.

Thanks for that-not!! Just the itinerary I was looking at :eek:

Seriously, it's absolutely ages since we visited the Space Centre so are happy with this and a cruise is better than being at home :D

We did this trip on the BA back in 2014 knowing the ports are pretty lame but wanted to spend time together as a family on a new ship. We didn't plan to get off any of the ports except GSC but we ended up missing GSC and went to Nassau that night early.

Does it get to Port Canaveral at 1p.m.? When we went it was noon but they pushed those arrivals back 1 hour last time I checked. That doesn't give you a ton of time at KSC but supposedly the NCL excursion there they give you an extra hour after they normally close.

We've been there several times, never felt unsafe. Crowded and dirty, yes (and we live in the Northeast US. Its always crowded and dirty). We have found that anywhere outside of Nassau is beautiful. Take a tour, or a taxi and go someplace out of town. Thats how you enjoy Nassau! ;)

I don't know about the rest of you, but the armed men with AK-47's standing around guarding the exits and entrances to the area around the port was less than appealing.

I got off the ship the first time I went to Nassau and that one time was more than enough.

The second time, I found that the pool area was actually MORE crowded on Nassau port day than any other sea day. Seems staying on the ship is a popular option.

If I got off the ship again in Nassau I would only do the ship provided excursion to Atlantis.

My fourteen year old daughter refuses to go on a cruise that will take us back to Nassau. I have been there 4 times (been there, done that type of thing). She has been there twice and had felt more than uncomfortable both times. They do get really pushy, trying to get you in their cab, and then once at the beach(we usually head to Cabbage over on paradise island) they are fighting with each other, where they can drop you off. Then they are fighting over, what part of the beach you can go to. Then they are fighting over, who gets to get you your chairs. Then you are constantly bombarded with buying drugs and Marijuana. As an adult, I can just ignore them. But for my kids it is kind of scary.

I think many people think Nassau is unsafe based upon the travel advisories and critical crime warnings from the U.S. state department and government of Canada over concern in the rise of armed robberies and sexual assaults against tourists in the pier area as well as paradise island and cable beach. The advisories also warn of this occurring even during daylight hours. So I think Nassau has earned a reputation worthy of being cautious.

I did not feel uncomfortable or threatened in Nassau. Do your homework and have a plan. Know where you're going and how to get there (walk, taxi) Don't wear expensive jewelry or flash your money/phone/etc around. I've read that you should say please, thank you, and especially GOOD MORNING/AFTERNOON/EVENING to people you come in contact with (just use good manners really but a little goes a long way). Same as any other city!

I don't know about the rest of you, but the armed men with AK-47's standing around guarding the exits and entrances to the area around the port was less than appealing.

Just like how we have armed forces in American airports?

The biggest problem with Nassau is that it is a very common cruise port. We are about to take our 9th cruise and it will be our 5th time to Nassau. We have done many interesting things there, from going to Blue Lagoon to the walking tours of the city, but there's nothing left that interests me as a cruise day trip. I'd go to Atlantis, but not when it costs $1000 Canadian for the four of us to spend 6 hours there.

As others have said, there are interesting things to do away from the immediate port area. Be aware of your surroundings and all should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the Blue Lagoon beach pass through NCL, I think around 50 per person and had a great day there. We got lucky that we did get GSC, so we had two amazing relaxing beach days. There are also some nice day passes available if you search the Bahamas forum..

I love the Bahamian people, they are lovely if you get to know them. I would not want to spend the day shopping and then let that represent the Bahamas. There are a ton of things to do if you look.

I've been there 5 times.. it's turned into a hell hole. I have witnessed 2 police foot chases while there. And on my last cruise, I spoke to 2 different people on our ship that had bad experiences while off the ship. 1 was pick pocketed for his wallet, and the other had 4 teens approach him and demand money at knife point. We are a young couple, and constantly get offered weed and coke while there. I've had enough with Nassau. Another very reputable cruise website voted Nassua as the most dangerous cruise destination in world in 2015. See below.. This is from less than a year ago..

"The U.S. State Department has issued a critical crime warning for Nassau, Bahamas today. The warning is titled Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Nassau (Bahamas), Nassau Violent Crime.

The warning states that U.S. citizens residing in and traveling to the Bahamas to be aware of their surroundings and remain on heightened alert to avoid being a victim of crime. The warning states that armed robbery remains a major criminal threat facing U.S. citizens with the crime threat on New Providence listed as “critical.”

The last warning from the State Department or the U.S. Embassy in the Bahamas was just last month when the State Department issued the 2015 Bahamas Crime Report which revealed that armed robbery and sexual assaults were increasing.

The most recent warning focused on violent incidents on March 22nd and 23rd which occurred in areas heavily frequented by U.S. citizen visitors and residents. One victim was was stabbed and killed and the other man was critically wounded and robbed.

We picked Nassau as the most dangerous cruise destination in the world last year."

I have done this walking tour of Nassau twice, once with my husband and once with a friend. I will be going back in 2 weeks with 5 friends and we will be doing it again. The Queens staircase, which is not far from Port is beautiful ! http://www.frommers.com/images/destinations/maps/jpg-2006/251_walkingtour:historicnassau.jpg

Edited by hockeyluver

Been to Nassau a number of times. Have never had a problem there, never felt in the least bit unsafe. Those who claim the vendors are "pushy" and "aggressive" have probably never seen real pushy or aggressive. Saw lots of smiles hawking taxi rides or carriage rides is all. A simple "no thanks" and on we go.

We usually walk along Junkanoo beach and then to Fish Fry at Arawak Cay and have lunch at one of the many restaurants there. Walk back to town and maybe have a beer at one of the places there (Pirate Republic is a fairly decent craft brewery there).

Would never even consider staying on the ship. We cruise to travel, not for ships, so that carries zero appeal for us.

Nassau is a port of call on a cruise I am thinking about but reading comments on the Port of Call forum I get the feeling people are not impressed. Some even claim it is unsafe.

Can someone put my mind at rest?

Atlantis and the resorts during the day are safe, the fish fry area during the day so long as there are people around is safe. The Main Street off the pier during the day so long as there are people around is safe. Avoid areas that are empty and don't go out by yourself at night, that most certainly is not safe. Nassau has a crime rate akin to some of the worst inner cities in America per capita.

Atlantis and the resorts during the day are safe, the fish fry area during the day so long as there are people around is safe. The Main Street off the pier during the day so long as there are people around is safe. Avoid areas that are empty and don't go out by yourself at night, that most certainly is not safe. Nassau has a crime rate akin to some of the worst inner cities in America per capita.

Agreed.

But not many ships overnight in Nassau so the situation at night would not be an issue for a cruiser.

I think many people think Nassau is unsafe based upon the travel advisories and critical crime warnings from the U.S. state department and government of Canada over concern in the rise of armed robberies and sexual assaults against tourists in the pier area as well as paradise island and cable beach. The advisories also warn of this occurring even during daylight hours. So I think Nassau has earned a reputation worthy of being cautious.

We have been to Nassau about 6 times and we are going again in May. If you stay within the tourist areas like the main drag or resorts, it is fairly safe. Once you leave the main area, you are fair game.

We have had several incidents in Nassau. Pushy people are literally everywhere around the pier and Senior Frog's. Most listen to a "no thank you" but not all. We were walking towards the Queens Staircase and a homeless man, who was completely strung out, was stalking us. We quickly retreated. I personally think Junkanoo beach is completely disgusting also and had broken glass in the sand and quite a few local undesirables as well. To top it all off, the last time we were there, we were eating breakfast and saw 2 dead bodies (a mom and her daughter) floating down the harbor. Needless to say, Nassau is not our favorite stop.