How to get from EWR to Cape Liberty?

DrivesLikeMario

Hoping some of you East Coast pros can help:

What is the best way to get from EWR to Cape Liberty? Taxi, car service, shuttle?

What is the earliest we can get into the port for embarkation? We'll be arriving in EWR at 6:30 in the morning. We'll waste a few hours there, but would like to get to the port at the earliest possible time to wait there.

Thanks for the help! :)

Hoping some of you East Coast pros can help:

What is the best way to get from EWR to Cape Liberty? Taxi, car service, shuttle?

What is the earliest we can get into the port for embarkation? We'll be arriving in EWR at 6:30 in the morning. We'll waste a few hours there, but would like to get to the port at the earliest possible time to wait there.

Thanks for the help! :)

From the airport terminal area I would take a taxi or car service. I'm not sure how early the port receives people. What time of the year are you doing this? Because of rush hour traffic, I wouldn't be leaving the airport before 9:00 am.

May. On a Saturday morning, I wouldn't expect rush hour traffic. ???

I can get an Uber or taxi if that's best?

I don't know about Uber. A taxi would run $55-65. Less traffic on a Sat morning.

There is absolutely nothing (and I mean nothing) at Cape Liberty besides the local 911 Memorial. IMO there's no point to arriving before 9:30-10:00 am at the earliest.

I don't know about Uber. A taxi would run $55-65. Less traffic on a Sat morning.

There is absolutely nothing (and I mean nothing) at Cape Liberty besides the local 911 Memorial. IMO there's no point to arriving before 9:30-10:00 am at the earliest.

That's the time we were thinking too. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it!

Uber isn't legal in Newark. The city government recently announced that they're going to crack down them and start towing Uber cars if they're caught.

Take a taxi or car service.

OH! :eek: Wow, I didn't realize that. I had downloaded the app just for this trip so I'm glad you told me. I'll look for a taxi then.

Thanks so much.

Doesn't the cruise lines have transfers to the port from the airport? I know some of the local hotels do. We are paying $17.50 per person from a Newark airport hotel to the port. It leaves at 10 am and noon.

What ship/ cruise line are you going on? Maybe call them and ask.

Doesn't the cruise lines have transfers to the port from the airport? I know some of the local hotels do. We are paying $17.50 per person from a Newark airport hotel to the port. It leaves at 10 am and noon.

What ship/ cruise line are you going on? Maybe call them and ask.

Typically the cruise line transfers don't start leaving until 11 am or after. They wait for flights to get in so they can collect a bus load of people. Country Inns offers a transfer at 10 and 12, but I'm pretty sure you have to be a registered guest to take advantage of it. No one has ever posted about an independent shuttle service to Cape Liberty. Supershuttle is not a big player at EWR and we generally don't recommend it.

Of course there is the public transit option, but it's expensive from the airport. $8.50 train to Newark Penn Station, $2.75 PATH to Exchange Place, $2.25 light rail to 34th St Bayonne, and $10-12 cab ride into the port. It's a totally accessible route and it does kill time if you're just hanging around. I've done it from Newark Penn Station and can provide details.

138east (Carol) Have you been to the new terminal? Is there a place to sit until time of embarkation (sitting/waiting are)? Are there any shops, stores or refreshment areas in the terminal?

I have been through the terminal twice now. There is a sitting/waiting area inside past security. There are some benches outside. No shops or stores. I believe there might be coffee and water. I'll be there Friday morning and will look more closely. One impression that I have is that there is no indoor pre security or post customs seating.

I have been through the terminal twice now. There is a sitting/waiting area inside past security. There are some benches outside. No shops or stores. I believe there might be coffee and water. I'll be there Friday morning and will look more closely. One impression that I have is that there is no indoor pre security or post customs seating.

Thank you! What time do you usually arrive? I will be arriving around 10:30. Just trying to get a feel of how the traffic is through the terminal area. I hate to get caught up in the congestion (Madness).

Edited by Seaworthy01

Last June I arrived around 9:45 for the Liberty and went to the 911 Memorial first. By the time I moved to the parking about 10:30, the traffic line had started to build up for the terminal, but one of the guys directing traffic got me across the traffic to go to the parking. For the Quantum I arrived at about 10:30 and there was almost no line.

Bottom line - it's totally unpredictable.

Last June I arrived around 9:45 for the Liberty and went to the 911 Memorial first. By the time I moved to the parking about 10:30, the traffic line had started to build up for the terminal, but one of the guys directing traffic got me across the traffic to go to the parking. For the Quantum I arrived at about 10:30 and there was almost no line.

Bottom line - it's totally unpredictable.

Totally understandable, Enjoy your cruise this weekend, I wish there were more cruises to no where, I would do them in a heart beat.

Uber isn't legal in Newark. The city government recently announced that they're going to crack down them and start towing Uber cars if they're caught.

Take a taxi or car service.

Any idea's on Elizabeth since most of the airport is in Elizabeth..

Any idea's on Elizabeth since most of the airport is in Elizabeth..

My husband takes uber to Newark airport, but he takes a taxi home. I don't know the legalities, but I've heard stuff on the local news about the airport trying to discourage uber pick ups.

138east...we land around noon on Sunday, May 8, for the Summit cruise. We usually take taxis rather than the Celebrity transfers and I've found taxifarefinder.com is pretty accurate in estimating costs with tip. That site says about $38.00 from EWR to Cape Liberty, but I've seen higher estimates on the forums. Do you know if there are additional charges for two people, rather than one, and costs per bag?

138east...we land around noon on Sunday, May 8, for the Summit cruise. We usually take taxis rather than the Celebrity transfers and I've found taxifarefinder.com is pretty accurate in estimating costs with tip. That site says about $38.00 from EWR to Cape Liberty, but I've seen higher estimates on the forums. Do you know if there are additional charges for two people, rather than one, and costs per bag?

The taxi fare finders are unreliable in this area when you cross city/town boundaries. The last time I checked rates, the flat rate base quote from the airport to Bayonne (Cape Liberty) was $56 plus tolls and tip. This puts you in the $55-65 range.

The taxi fare finders are unreliable in this area when you cross city/town boundaries. The last time I checked rates, the flat rate base quote from the airport to Bayonne (Cape Liberty) was $56 plus tolls and tip. This puts you in the $55-65 range.

That's really good to know. I much prefer information straight from the horse's mouth than from a taxi website which always seems to quote lower than normal pricing. Thanks again!

Carol...thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case there given what I was reading from you and others. Sounds like Celebrity prices their transfers to closely match taxi fares. May book the cruise transfer from EWR to the pier, but take a taxi or shuttle on the return trip (like to keep my luggage with me). Thanks again.

Not to hijack your thread, but any ideas for getting from the port to EWR??

I originally thought about a taxi but I'm wondering if a private car is a better idea??

I'm trying to avoid the cruise line's transfer as they leave the ship very early and my flight is at 350pm.

Thanks!

Karen

You could use a car hire like Dial 7. Or, they have the Manhattan Tour on many cruise lines that is for those with flights after 3:30pm. Your luggage stays with you the whole time and you're returned to EWR at the end of the tour. It's not too much more than the transfers themselves.

Is that per person...there will be 2 of us going on Summit May 8th...so excited!