Is food on the Anthem really that bad??!!

Herby

We will be sailing on the Anthem on May 5th and the food reviews good or bad will not sway us from - ready for this! Trying everything lol. I promise to come back and tell my opinion but again I'm just one man. I will hope for the best, but I will not go on this cruise with a preset opinion even before I get there. Why ruin it! Just one mans opinion on a page full of them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We will be sailing on the Anthem on May 5th and the food reviews good or bad will not sway us from - ready for this! Trying everything lol. I promise to come back and tell my opinion but again I'm just one man. I will hope for the best, but I will not go on this cruise with a preset opinion even before I get there. Why ruin it! Just one mans opinion on a page full of them

With food tastes being so very subjective, I will not be swayed either. I will also try EVERYTHING I can. :)

PS - We will be on the 5/14 sailing , so save us some food!! :eek:

Happy sailing!

We sailed Anthem last June from UK, and the food in the 4 MDR was disappointing compared to our other Rci cruises, probably the least enjoyable of all our cruises.

And we are no way picky eaters.

We thought if it did not change there would be many complaints when the ship moved to the US

We sailed last June too and thought that the food served in the various restaurants was good and one of the hightlights for our cruise.

I'm wondering if one of the benefits to taking the "classic option" with your dining is that the waitstaff has a vested interest in keeping you happy. I've always tipped beyond what was put on the cruise account. After one or two nights of you not being happy, they will know what it takes to satisfy your palate and will see to it. They always had iced tea at the table waiting for my wife. They know how you like your coffee, etc.

I'm on the Anthem of the Seas now. Out of numerous meals and snacks I've had over ten days, there were two items (that's items, not entire meals) that I couldn't eat. The scrambled eggs in the buffet and one of the salad dressings in Jamie's.

Everything else has been good to excellent.

You know what I did both times I didn't like something?

Sit down, this will blow your mind.

I let them know about the problem and then I found something else to eat.

Crazy, right?

The food is terrific. And if you don't like something, get something else. Repeat as necessary and you'll be happy.

Unless you don't want to be happy. Then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. So I won't try.

Have a nice day, everyone!

you%20are%20bloody%20brilliant_zpsvyqv3iw0.jpg

You never know why one likes or doesn't like something. One of my guilty pleasures is eating Popeye's fried chicken. You won't believe how many times I am sitting in there eating and overhear someone at a nearby table (usually not eating while their table mate is chowing down) say that they don't like chicken where they can see the bones/veins/skin, etc bc it's gross. That they'd prefer chicken nuggets. If they only knew what parts of the chicken they use for chicken nuggets, I think that would gross them out even more. Besides the fact that they didn't even TRY the chicken in the first place.

My point is, who cares why someone else doesn't like something? Go and try for yourself. And like someone else said, if you don't like it, get something else! It's not like on a land restaurant where they'd most likely have to cook a whole new dish for you. They will have many dishes 99% complete already and will take but a few moments to bring you something new.

I was a long-time cruiser on Royal, but over the years, I've seen the ships get bigger and flashier, and at the same time, the variety of food, and the space per passenger decrease. They have some great amenities, but never could use them because they were so packed. When you dig deeper to actually see what food is offered in the buffet, you find that the same food just repeats itself over and over, unlike most cruise ships where different locations in the buffet have different food choices. I haven't been on a RC cruise for maybe three years, and me and my wife vowed to never take one again. Maybe its better now, but the trend I saw over the 15 years prior to that certainly was not in that direction. While cost-cutting has been part of most cruise lines, I will say that Royal has done it the most elegantly to the extreme, popping out the luxurious larger ships, but cramming craming passengers in tightly, and dropping the quality of the food, in hopes that the two floriders, or ice ring etc. will distract them long enough so they don't notice.

We're also on that cruise and we're also looking forward to trying everything we can.

So far, on the cruises we've taken, we've always been able to find something eatable :rolleyes:

We've also learned to not pay a lot of attention to negative reviews. Just last year we went on Adventure and there were a ton of bad reviews and it turned out to be one of our favorite cruises ever... you just never know.

Tom

You should book a cruise on the Anthem and find out for yourself? I have been on the Anthem and have I tasted the food....... And not you! Why comment like that........ If you don't really know? Again, the Anthem needs Chef Ramsey to put them on the right track. If more people came forth and complained maybe they will correct this situation.

Well........Based on other comments in this thread, my response isn't that out of line. I'm going to guess you haven't tasted the HS cafeteria food that I remember. Chicken patties and stale fries come to mind.

I'm interested to see what the food will be like. For the longest time people were complaining and I thought the food was just fine. Then I took Liberty to Bermuda last year and I really noticed a decline. Hopefully they will improve things with all the complaining that's being done.

I'm on the Anthem of the Seas now. Out of numerous meals and snacks I've had over ten days, there were two items (that's items, not entire meals) that I couldn't eat. The scrambled eggs in the buffet and one of the salad dressings in Jamie's.

Everything else has been good to excellent.

You know what I did both times I didn't like something?

Sit down, this will blow your mind.

I let them know about the problem and then I found something else to eat.

Crazy, right?

The food is terrific. And if you don't like something, get something else. Repeat as necessary and you'll be happy.

Unless you don't want to be happy. Then there's nothing I can do to change your mind. So I won't try.

Have a nice day, everyone!

Nobody can eat the scrambled eggs in the buffet.

Well........Based on other comments in this thread, my response isn't that out of line. I'm going to guess you haven't tasted the HS cafeteria food that I remember. Chicken patties and stale fries come to mind.

We called them murder burgers and suicide fries. LOLOLOLOL!!

WJ scrambled eggs - don't remind me!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just came off anthem last week (yes-- the one COMPLETE anthem cruise in recent history). I was on for 8 nights. Overall, I was pleased. Only did free venues. This was the first cruise where I enjoyed breakfast in the MDR more than the windjammer.

My first night, I ate at silk. The food was cold. I asked to speak to the manager-- he fixed it and said this is an ongoing problem. The next night they couldn't find my wine and I met another restaurant manager-- after these two experiences, the supervisors knew me and greeted me by name. They looked out for me and always made sure my food wasn't cold. The supervisors were very helpful and want to make everything right, if there are issues.

Highlights: MDR breakfasts, tutti salad bar, escargot, short ribs.

I just came off anthem last week (yes-- the one COMPLETE anthem cruise in recent history). I was on for 8 nights. Overall, I was pleased. Only did free venues. This was the first cruise where I enjoyed breakfast in the MDR more than the windjammer.

My first night, I ate at silk. The food was cold. I asked to speak to the manager-- he fixed it and said this is an ongoing problem. The next night they couldn't find my wine and I met another restaurant manager-- after these two experiences, the supervisors knew me and greeted me by name. They looked out for me and always made sure my food wasn't cold. The supervisors were very helpful and want to make everything right, if there are issues.

Highlights: MDR breakfasts, tutti salad bar, escargot, short ribs.

That's great that they fixed your problems. Those are pretty major issues, cold food and missing wine (that I'm assuming you paid for). I always am torn about the restaurant managers knowing us and giving us specialized service (moreso on land). I feel like the service should be the same across the board, not only bc they know you. I mean it's nice to have them know you and say hi, but I hate to think they are making my food "better" or giving me more or freebies bc of it, and then I go and recommend the place and bc I'm not there, the staff doesn't make it as good.

We were on the Anthem last week and we enjoyed the food. As long as you aren't expecting gourmet meals you should be fine. I thought the variety in the buffet was great. Loved the tacos and haven't seen that on any other line. For lunches we loved the Cafe at 270. Roast Beef sandwiches and salads were great. All our dinners were excellent except for one night but we were brought something different and it was delicious. Went to Jamie's one night and LOVED it. No complaints at all about food!

That's great that they fixed your problems. Those are pretty major issues, cold food and missing wine (that I'm assuming you paid for). I always am torn about the restaurant managers knowing us and giving us specialized service (moreso on land). I feel like the service should be the same across the board, not only bc they know you. I mean it's nice to have them know you and say hi, but I hate to think they are making my food "better" or giving me more or freebies bc of it, and then I go and recommend the place and bc I'm not there, the staff doesn't make it as good.

I get what you're saying, but my point ultimately was that they want to make things right. I got no freebies (although they DID eventually find the wine). I just found that because I said something about the temperature issue, they tried to make sure it didn't happen going forward.

I only have 1 cruise under my belt, which was last year on a relatively small ship (Radiance), and I thought the MDR food was excellent, but as I say I'm an inexperienced cruiser.

Now for the disclaimer - I'm not a picky eater by ANY means - I'm an even 6 feet tall, 240 lbs. if that tells you anything ;)

I wonder if something gets lost when you scale everything up to a ship the size of the Anthem or the Oasis/Allure twins? And maybe it's dependent on what you order?

Bottom line, though - given the culinary options on board, if someone goes hungry it's no one's fault but their own!

I have been reading one review after the other about how terrible the food is at the 4 complimentary dining restaurants. Hot food is cold, desserts are warm and runny, no taste, over cooked meant, etc... There has been so many that say the same thing that I am really getting worried. I never let a few bad reviews bother me but dozens saying the exact same thing about the food is scary!

Is Royal Caribbean listening I hope!!!

On the Anthem now and ate in most of the restaurants. The food was great...except for the scrambled eggs...you can get eggs made any way you like them. Have fun on your cruise...desserts were wonderful as well.

I agree with the above poster...the scrambled eggs? YUCK. I believe they use the powdered stuff. (not sure) Other than that:

1. I don't have to shop for the food

2. I don't have to prep the food

3. I don't have to cook the food

4. I don't have to serve the food

5. I don't have to clean up after the food.

:D:D:D:D HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Only ate at the complimentary restaurants and thought it was pretty good to great. Chic was the only one that was a let down, food was very...blah. Oh and I wish the pizza was better.

The scrambled eggs on any cruise line, or any buffet are always gross, bland and watery. No one likes them but yet eveywhere still serves them. I'm sure most people who get them (myself included) don't want to wait at the omlette station for real scrambled eggs, so they just get the premade ones, thinking oh it won't be THAT bad. And one bite in, on yes they are. I'm sure 99% of the eggs that are taken off the line are thrown away. What a waste of food.

We were on anthem 1/26/16 11 nights instead of 12, by far the worst food and service ever on cruise ship, however loved the ship! So we are really praying rcl takes not and improves food and service. Very salty! Best bet is solarium bistro, tip the guy and ask for reduced sodium and oil, it was only spot we found edible. RCL, I am sure is well aware of terrible food. I have been reading reviews hoping for some positive food reviews, not yet?

I fully agree with you with your 1-5 list.

I don't think the scrambled eggs are that bad. I don't know what they make them out of and I never want to ask. My wife always stands in the line to get eggs made fresh. It takes a few minutes extra, but it's not like we're in a hurry or anything.

We have never gone hungry on a cruise. What I really hate, though, is when they have something I really like, then they don't have it any other time on the cruise :(

Tom

I agree with the above poster...the scrambled eggs? YUCK. I believe they use the powdered stuff. (not sure) Other than that:

1. I don't have to shop for the food

2. I don't have to prep the food

3. I don't have to cook the food

4. I don't have to serve the food

5. I don't have to clean up after the food.

:D:D:D:D HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

We were on anthem 1/26/16 11 nights instead of 12, by far the worst food and service ever on cruise ship, however loved the ship! So we are really praying rcl takes not and improves food and service. Very salty! Best bet is solarium bistro, tip the guy and ask for reduced sodium and oil, it was only spot we found edible. RCL, I am sure is well aware of terrible food. I have been reading reviews hoping for some positive food reviews, not yet?
of a post NOT to be believed AT ALL....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: