Free shuttle from Piraeus to town (Athens)?

kokopelli-az

No free ship shuttle. There are several options, the best advice is to check out the port of call board as you will find a plethora of current information, ranging from the HOHO to the train into Athens ;).

Never had a free shuttle although we did have an Athens on your own transfer once. We've used the Ho-Ho but didn't like that as Athens is quite a drive from the port.

Last time just used a taxi which wasn't too expensive although the drivers driving skills weren't too good.

I think I read that the metro line had been extended to the port. Unfortunately, 'think' is the operative word here. The tram we took was above ground and a quick ride, maybe 15 minutes.

BTW I noticed that you started the rollcall for the reflection TA next month, but haven't seen you posting lately. Did you end up canceling the trip?

There is a new port bus, into duce last year. We were on Equinox and the bus stop was operate the ship, in the port area.

Costs only 4 euro for a day pass, purchased from the kiosk at the stop. The ticket also includes all buses and metro in Athens for the day

The train is about 30 minute walk from the ship and takes you into placa area beneath the acropolis, we we use the bus gain when in Athens this year

We are staying 2 nights in Athens before our cruise in August so was wondering if Piraeus was ok for a wanderer,meal or drink or would we be better going back into Athens? We have an overnight there when we board.

Pirates is a Huge port area and not good place to stay, it safe to walk around during the day, don't know about night. There is a harbour area behind the port, that looked better with yaghts etc. Did not know it was thee until the bus took that root. Google maps the area and you will see it in sat view

Edited by bogofman

We are staying 2 nights in Athens before our cruise in August so was wondering if Piraeus was ok for a wanderer,meal or drink or would we be better going back into Athens? We have an overnight there when we board.

Do yourself a favour and stay in Athens. Much nicer and so much to see. The Plaka district at night is wonderful. It is non stop cafes and shopping. Very laid back and not expensive.

Edited by JUST TRIPPIN'

I think I read that the metro line had been extended to the port. Unfortunately, 'think' is the operative word here. The tram we took was above ground and a quick ride, maybe 15 minutes.

BTW I noticed that you started the rollcall for the reflection TA next month, but haven't seen you posting lately. Did you end up canceling the trip?

We cancelled Reflection some time last year as timing didn't seem to work out for us, but did a last minute booking on Constellation TA for a great price.

We cancelled Reflection some time last year as timing didn't seem to work out for us, but did a last minute booking on Constellation TA for a great price.

Yup, the Connie is having fire sale prices! We did the westbound on her in the fall. Hopefully they have fixed the issues we had, hard to find coffee and ice and silverware and plates in the buffet!! So easy to do, just a management issue. Reflection came down to $799 for a balcony, shocking for that 16 day itinerary!

The bus is a very convenient and inexpensive way to get to Athens. Tickets are sold at the bus stop... if I remember it was around 3 Euro.

This is how close the bus stop is (picture taken from the terminal building):

03-IMG_2613.jpg

04-IMG_2614.jpg

More in our review:

http://travellove.one/Our-Trips/Reflection-Eastern-Med-01/Reflection-Eastern-Med-06/03-IMG_2613.jpg

Edited by Miaminice

Miaminice,

It also depends on which pier the ship is at. Last year on Equnox, we were not docked in the pier that you are showing in your photo. We were much further around, at the very far end of the port. It took us a good 40 minutes to walk to the ferry terminal from where we were docked. Another ship (think it was NCL :confused:) was already berthed in the pier shown in your photo, which was probably 15 minutes from Equinox ;). Unsure if the bus came to the far pier?

Edited by villauk

There is Terminal A and Terminal B in Athens. Celebrity usually docks at B which is the one shown on my picture. Royal Caribbean, Cunard etc. dock at Terminal A.

Even if for some reason you should dock at Terminal A, the bus is a good choice. There is also a stop of the X80 bus in front of the building of Terminal A.

In addition to that there is a free port shuttle running between the two terminals.

Miaminice,

It also depends on which pier the ship is at. Last year on Equnox, we were not docked in the pier that you are showing in your photo. We were much further around, at the very far end of the port. It took us a good 40 minutes to walk to the ferry terminal from where we were docked. Another ship (think it was NCL :confused:) was already berthed in the pier shown in your photo, which was probably 15 minutes from Equinox ;). Unsure if the bus came to the far pier?

There are two cruise terminals. There is an X80 express bus stop at each terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are two cruise terminals. There is an X80 express bus stop at each terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't sure if it stopped at the far terminal, thanks for clarifying, but I know we didn't dock at the terminal shown in the photo ;). It was quite a trek to the ferry terminals from where we were berthed :).

No sign of the free shuttle between the two when we visited last :confused:, I'd definitely have used it in the extreme heat :D.

Edited by villauk

I wasn't sure if it stopped at the far terminal, thanks for clarifying, but I know we didn't dock at the terminal shown in the photo ;). It was quite a trek to the ferry terminals from where we were berthed :).

No sign of the free shuttle between the two when we visited last :confused:, I'd definitely have used it in the extreme heat :D.

FYI: The one on the photo is Terminal B (Themistocles). Since Terminal A is right in Piraeus town where all the other docks are, your description "far terminal" can only match Terminal B... which is a) the usual terminal for Celebrity and b) the one with the bus stop right in front of the terminal door.

Photos of Terminal B

(the one in deed further away from Piraeus center) You can see the bus stop right in front of the door, which is better shown on the photo previously posted:

103-IMG_8958.jpg

01-IMG_2408.jpg

To use the free shuttle between the two terminals you have to enter the building of Terminal A (the one in town) and go through the first security checkpoint.

This is particularly interesting for cruisers of overnights. The gates of Terminal B are closed after 10 pm. You have to enter Terminal A and take the shuttle to B. This will also be mentioned in the "Today" information papers.

Edited by Miaminice

Miami,

I apologise then, as that second photo looks like how I remember it :o, without those lines of buses. The first photo looked like the terminal in the centre by the little train, where I do wish we had docked as on previous cruises. Honestly, we never saw 1 bus when we departed from the ship. Admittedly, we didn't disembark as soon as we docked so there may have been many at an earlier time, but the whole car park was deserted when we began our trek to the ferry (just an odd taxi).