A new twist on Gala Nights

dakrewser

Evidently my two granddaughters - ages 6 and 9, who took their first cruise on the NA in December - were much taken with Gala night. So much so that they've now instituted Gala nights at home - but with a twist.

It's called "Choose your own Gala night", something they decide in the afternoon. Then they put on their finest, get bejeweled and set the table with the best linen, china and silver. I'm to be a guest at one tonight. But it was very carefully explained that it didn't mean I had to get "gussied up", as I could come as I wished (I assume as long as I met the minimum dress code).

What a great idea!

Each table in the MDR could choose their own Gala night (or choose not to have one). Let the steward know the night before and the "Gala night" table setting could be ready. Of course, I think everyone at the table would have to agree but it would solve the problem of satisfying both the ones who wish to dress up and those who don't.

What do you think?

What do you think?

I think it's a great thing to do with kids at home. It gives them an opportunity to put on their nicest clothes, and best manners. They can use the good dishes, glassware, and flatware and practice using their best behavior.

Then, when they grow up, they know that different occasions call for different ways of doing things.

Lucky you to get a chance to participate in that with them.

Dave,

How adorable! I only wish we had young and excited grandchildren to play with, and get "gussied up" to share a gala night. Luckily, DW and I are 17 and 8, respectively, at heart. We have gala nights at home now and then just because ... and we still do date nights out.

So far as the MDR on board HAL ships go -- you can have your own gala night any time you want. Just decide to do so, and dress however you wish. Enjoy!

Dave, also

On our two Caribbean cruises this past fall we saw A LOT of young children dressed to the 10"S! They loved it and they were the stars of the evenings! Let their be magic - whether you are young or not so young!!

It was a fabulous meal. Well, venison chili isn't a normal gala meal (except, perhaps, in Texas) but a fine time was had by all. I'll be sure to pass on your comments.

It sounds lovely, and how terrific that gala night made such a positive impression on your granddaughters. Some years ago I took my teenage grandsons on their first cruise, and they thoroughly enjoyed putting on a suit and doing the whole formal night thing.

Evidently my two granddaughters - ages 6 and 9, who took their first cruise on the NA in December - were much taken with Gala night. So much so that they've now instituted Gala nights at home - but with a twist.

It's called "Choose your own Gala night", something they decide in the afternoon. Then they put on their finest, get bejeweled and set the table with the best linen, china and silver. I'm to be a guest at one tonight. But it was very carefully explained that it didn't mean I had to get "gussied up", as I could come as I wished (I assume as long as I met the minimum dress code).

What a great idea!

Each table in the MDR could choose their own Gala night (or choose not to have one). Let the steward know the night before and the "Gala night" table setting could be ready. Of course, I think everyone at the table would have to agree but it would solve the problem of satisfying both the ones who wish to dress up and those who don't.

What do you think?

I think you are a very lucky man to have such wonderful granddaughters!!!

The only problem I see with guests choosing "Gala night" in the MDR is that every night we eat at a different time and sit with different people. so there is no way to agree/ vote on it. But yes we just did our own "Gala night"s on our last cruise. We dressed up if we felt like it and didn't when we didn't feel like it.

Love your granddaughters idea for Gala nights at home.

Do let us know how it turned out.

It was fantastic - although the 6YO did fall asleep immediately after dinner (a couple of hours before her bedtime). Too much excitement, I guess.

What a lovely idea! Nowadays it seems so difficult for busy families to sit down for a meal together. Making it a "gala" occasion shows that the girls are already learning about making a gathering special. I hope you took pictures of them in all their finery.

Have they seen Downton Abbey? Perhaps on one gala night, you might volunteer to don white gloves and serve at table. :D