Celebrity's website

suzyed

I am so amazed at the number of people who have problems with the Celebrity website...it's not the least bit user friendly.

It makes me wonder why Celebrity makes no attempt to rectify the situation? It is continually broken!

I seem to recall recently something about Celebrity working with a source to modify and improve the website, but I couldn't dig it up. Anyone have more info, or am I trippin'?

They have been singing that tired song for years.....

We were on Summit last week and the issue about the website came up at the Cruise Critic meet and greet. The ship officers professed surprise that there were that many issues with the website, but did say that the company was working on it. IMHO, it is a bit better in the last few months than it was, but not much.

Ohiodoglover

Website is VERY complex. Celebrity actually showed me what causes about 1/2 the problems. It is a security issue and if one does not sign out they in effect are locked out to prevent others on that computer from changing or accessing any records. It could be better if there was a note reminding everyone to sign out.

The other 1/2 of the issue is the website and trying to simply do too much and always changing stuff. Seems there is a new promotion almost daily! THe IT people have got to be doing that most of the time.

I had very big problems with the website prior to our recent cruise. It was constantly down, I could nto get into my account, could not complete the online express check in and more.

It required many calls to Celebrity and they were able to "unlock" my account but it was for a one time use only. It always returned to the "account being altered, comeback in 20 minutes" tune.

The Celebrity agent told me at one pointy that they were in the process of out sourcing the entire website and it will be better. He did not provide a definitive time frame but, that changes are in the works.

To be fair, once they have chosen a webpage service provider, I would think it will take a while to fix all the problems and errors and database issues that now exist.

There is hope for the future but for the time being, we continue to suffer :)

Website is VERY complex. Celebrity actually showed me what causes about 1/2 the problems. It is a security issue and if one does not sign out they in effect are locked out to prevent others on that computer from changing or accessing any records. It could be better if there was a note reminding everyone to sign out.

The other 1/2 of the issue is the website and trying to simply do too much and always changing stuff. Seems there is a new promotion almost daily! THe IT people have got to be doing that most of the time.

Don't take this wrong, I'm sure that's what they told you but there are plenty of very highly secure web sites out there that automatically log you out without locking up your account (like any major investment site). I call BS on that excuse. There are tons of 'VERY complex' web sites out there that don't have the problems X site has. I would bet that it's lack of IT talent/skills or lack of funding or a combination of both (probably this)!

Don't take this wrong, I'm sure that's what they told you but there are plenty of very highly secure web sites out there that automatically log you out without locking up your account (like any major investment site). I call BS on that excuse. There are tons of 'VERY complex' web sites out there that don't have the problems X site has. I would bet that it's lack of IT talent/skills or lack of funding or a combination of both (probably this)!

I'm right there with you. I sign on to numerous financial sites daily and every time I exit it (either leaving the site or closing the browser) I am automatically logged off. And as complex as Celebrity's site might be, the sites I visit makes Celebrity's look like a "Dick & Jane" book as compared to "War & Peace".

It does come down to the competency of the programmers of the site.

I agree totally. Celebrity has been making excuses for years, few of which ring true.

Surely some of the operational issues have been caused by gluing together different systems which is generally awkward, difficult and error prone. Presumably Accenture has been hired to rewrite or "fix" the system....we have no dates, no details, but that's some people's guess (not mine, by the way...I think their focus is on improving Celebrity's image and communications on social media sites...but I digress).

Unfortunately, there are errors on the site that are just plain errors that no one fixes. Essentially that means if Accenture does fix the site, the information on the site will continue to be wrong, inaccurate and confusing. To date, Celebrity obviously doesn't care...no reason to think that will change.

How about an example....sign in....go to some cruise you have booked or just go to the drink packages. Look at the classic drink package: $64.90 per day....look at the asterisk and read at the bottom of the page that 18% will be added when you check out....very clear...it will be $64.90 plus 18% (we all know that's wrong but that's what the web page clearly says).

Now look at the premium drink package....ahh...that's $65 a day and again, the asterisk and reading you find that 18% will be added at checkout (which we know is correct).

Of course, we're all smart...but the average person would look at that and say...wow, must be a special deal...the premium package is only $.10 more or $12 a day including tax...what a deal.

It's been that way for months.....It would take about 1 minute to fix....it's been reported many times.....but nothing happens because no one seems to care about web site content.

I seem to recall recently something about Celebrity working with a source to modify and improve the website, but I couldn't dig it up. Anyone have more info, or am I trippin'?

Here is just one example: Click Here

Celebrity website issues, along with "it will be fixed soon" have been going on for at least 6 or 7 years. Seems like every major fix either forgets some areas or breaks other areas.

When I did the online check in for our next cruise, I entered my birthday with the correct year, 1952. I got an error message saying 'please enter a date before today's date'! Seriously??! I tried again and got the same message. So I changed it to 1953, then I got a message saying 'Captain's Club number and name do not match'. But that was preloaded off my profile! I had to mess with it forever and finally got it to work. Then it did the exact same thing when I signed in DH.

Just the latest glitch, there's always something!!

And it would also be even better if the web site would automaticly log off instead of just closing the session. This works fine on other sites... so I suppose it could be possible for X also.

Celebrity will never fix the website. The VP is completely clueless.

I don't know the VP, but he/she is surely responding to the pressure to reduce cost...and IT is a cost center undoubtedly running with a lower budget. The VP is likely measured on reservation and optional activity revenue, and has no measure at all with customer satisfaction or accuracy....and apparently not for availability either. Generally, it's the measurement system that guides what IT does. So don't blame the VP....just go to the top and blame the CEO who either doesn't know how bad the web site is, doesn't care or has delegated it by hiring a consultant so it's no longer a problem on the table.

I don't know the VP, but he/she is surely responding to the pressure to reduce cost...and IT is a cost center undoubtedly running with a lower budget. The VP is likely measured on reservation and optional activity revenue, and has no measure at all with customer satisfaction or accuracy....and apparently not for availability either. Generally, it's the measurement system that guides what IT does. So don't blame the VP....just go to the top and blame the CEO who either doesn't know how bad the web site is, doesn't care or has delegated it by hiring a consultant so it's no longer a problem on the table.

ghstudio: Do you have an email address I can reach you at?

Gosh I hope they don't view it as a cost center - most successful organizations recognize that IT is an area that has immense possibilities to boost revenue generation if done right

Edited by oroszdb

Celebrity website issues, along with "it will be fixed soon" have been going on for at least 6 or 7 years. Seems like every major fix either forgets some areas or breaks other areas.

The link is quite humorous as the issues and questioned posed back the still exist.

Someone complained abut problems with the online checkin and the rsponse was "Thank you for sharing your frustration. Because we have received several concerns about Online CheckIn we are quickly looking into solutions for ways to assist our guests and travel partners with navigating through the process with greater ease.

Thank you,

Celebrity Cruises Web Marketing "

The question was posted on April 15, 2013 and the answer was posted on 3 May 2013

And here we are, discussing it still :)

Ah yes, memories of the Tina Alexander fiasco.

Here is some more:

Celebrity Cruises — Responsive Web Design

The last we heard near the end of 2015, they were supposedly negotiating with some company to do promotional stuff

(sorry, don't remember the name- maybe Accenture?).

It was supposed to include replacing the website with a new, updated one "sometime next year" but have not heard anything more about it and am not holding my breath waiting. :D

So here's a thought.....how about if we all stop booking Celebrity cruises until the web is fixed since they are going to fix it soon. Should be no problem for Celebrity...what the heck, they are already fixing it...right?????

If only one's wishes on a forum could translate into action.....

I don't expect anything new or accurate to appear in my lifetime. Fortunately (for Celebrity), my lifetime grows shorter each year :)

Edited by ghstudio

The link is quite humorous as the issues and questioned posed back the still exist.

Someone complained abut problems with the online checkin and the rsponse was "Thank you for sharing your frustration. Because we have received several concerns about Online CheckIn we are quickly looking into solutions for ways to assist our guests and travel partners with navigating through the process with greater ease.

Thank you,

Celebrity Cruises Web Marketing "

The question was posted on April 15, 2013 and the answer was posted on 3 May 2013

And here we are, discussing it still :)

Please note that Celebrity carefully avoided any mention of actually implementing any solutions.

It's quite simple. If Celebrity is building off of what they already have in terms of templates, clickable links, etc., it should not take more than 10-16 weeks to make corrections, additions, etc. If they're starting completely from scratch, double it.

Based on when the announcement was made, a retrofit should be done now.

So here's a thought.....how about if we all stop booking Celebrity cruises until the web is fixed since they are going to fix it soon. Should be no problem for Celebrity...what the heck, they are already fixing it...right?????

If only one's wishes on a forum could translate into action.....

I don't expect anything new or accurate to appear in my lifetime. Fortunately (for Celebrity), my lifetime grows shorter each year :)

I am looking at sailing on Celebrity for the first time in a few weeks. Some of the issues I have had with the website: Checking on my OBC balance, trying to edit the transfers I booked, ordering luggage tags....I continually get that message..."we can't find that reservation number" "we are working on the site, try again in 20 minutes" I am so frustrated with this site that I will think twice before booking with them again...this is going to have to be some wonderful magical cruise for me to use them again! LOL!

Cunard's website is not much better letting one access cruise info. But at least there is never a problem signing on.

Princess has managed to make a terrific website....I can see and do whatever I want to do on there! I see all my onboard credits, I can order distilled water for DH's cpap, I can order robes in our cabin, I can see that my free gratuities are on my account, etc etc...everything WORKS!!

I just don't understand how one cruise line can get it right and the others get it so WRONG! :confused::confused:

Edited by suzyed