Price Still Dropping

pdx13

I noticed today that the price for our cruise had dropped AGAIN, although this time after final payment. This is the third or fourth price decrease on this cruise. My TA says this is not typical for Seabourn, that she is seeing many cancellations across the board due to weak currencies compared to US $, poor market performance, and unease about political unrest, terrorism. It has been extremely frustrating although we have been treated reasonably well thanks to the efforts of our TA. Just hope that this truly is an aberration and not characteristic of Seabourn.

So have your TA ask for something from Seabourn - every time there's a price drop that would realistically affect you.

We have done that, with reasonably good results. It just seems to be a cumbersome way to do business. We have not experienced this on cruises with other lines although I am sure it happens. I can understand the desire to fill the ship, but if they are going to drop the price, particularly prior to final payment I would think Seabourn would automatically adjust fares for passengers already booked. Not sure it should be incumbent upon the passenger or TA to spot the price change and then negotiate some accommodation. We would never have seen the first couple of price changes had it not been for CC. Since then I hve been watching the price more closely.

Our TA recently noticed the additional price drop and was able to negotiate some on-board credit with Seabourn. Not the same as saving literally thousands of dollars had we waited until today to book the same cruise. The advantage we have is knowing the exact location of our veranda suite…..important because we like mid-ship. Also, we would have missed the business class seats we were able to obtain with miles, many months ago. So…. all things are relative.

I think what's surprising here is that the cruise I am referring too (and I believe pdx13 is referring to as well) is not the in Med. It is the sole cruise that Seabourn does each spring up the western coast of Europe. It is hard for me to believe that this did not sell out…..a great itinerary. The only thing I would do differently is swap Rouen for Bordeaux, which had been the major French port on their itinerary in previous years.

I think what's surprising here is that the cruise I am referring too (and I believe pdx13 is referring to as well) is not the in Med. It is the sole cruise that Seabourn does each spring up the western coast of Europe. It is hard for me to believe that this did not sell out…..a great itinerary. The only thing I would do differently is swap Rouen for Bordeaux, which had been the major French port on their itinerary in previous years.

Rouen is a great port. First the sail down the Seine is amazing. Second, Rouen itself is of great interest and especially the cathedral. Third, it is a great gateway for tours whether it be to Paris, the Normandy Beaches or other more local destinations.

In the end it all comes down to demand. If demand is down they are all lowering prices to fill the ships as best they can.

It does pay to keep tabs on all of this.

By the way do likewise for any hotel reservations.

Keith

Our TA recently noticed the additional price drop and was able to negotiate some on-board credit with Seabourn. Not the same as saving literally thousands of dollars had we waited until today to book the same cruise. The advantage we have is knowing the exact location of our veranda suite…..important because we like mid-ship. Also, we would have missed the business class seats we were able to obtain with miles, many months ago. So…. all things are relative.

Interesting what Seabourn offers. First time around we got a significant price reduction, next time a large OBC, this time the offer was upgrade X2 or future cruise credit. Again, all reasonable, but I would have preferred to have been offered the opportunity to take advantage of the lower price each step of the way. I wouldn't have taken the future credit if I did not plan to cruise Seabourn again, so they have by no means run me off, just frustrated by the process. We also booked early so we could secure premium flights with miles and thinking that the cruise might sell out. I am not much for waiting until the last minute and perhaps that is the price you pay.

Of course it is supply and demand. What I find pitiful is the desire to sail full regardless. Case in point is current segment on Odyssey. You look around and scratch your head wondering what some of the newly boarded are doing here.

At lunch the following day, a fellow from San Francisco is bragging about paying $250/day. Well worth what he thought was a high air fare to catch the ship in Fiji.

Of course it is supply and demand. What I find pitiful is the desire to sail full regardless. Case in point is current segment on Odyssey. You look around and scratch your head wondering what some of the newly boarded are doing here.

At lunch the following day, a fellow from San Francisco is bragging about paying $250/day. Well worth what he thought was a high air fare to catch the ship in Fiji.

$250 a day is incredibly low, we just picked up a 14 day summer cruise in the sale around the 10K mark and thought that was fairly priced. It's certainly a lot cheaper than last year where we had one of those round figure birthdays to celebrate but the fares never got to a level we could justify. So I'm turning ?0 a year late :)

What's Seabourn's marginal cost for 2 passengers on an already-sailing ship? They can adjust crew, probably the largest expense, but you can't remove 1/20th of a crew member and you have to plan a bit in advance. We eat and drink our fair share onboard but I don't think we consume $250 of raw materials a day. So Seabourn probably does make money selling the last suites shockingly cheaply, but it's a somewhat dangerous game of chicken if everyone starts playing it.

Seabourn could have a rule, anyone under $500 a day has to eat the TK menu.

Perhaps the family who got this cruise for a steal this time will come back again because it's hard to leave Seabourn once you've experienced it. Talking about what you paid for your vacation loudly enough for others to hear is a bit crass but if they are having a good vacation and adding even a little to the Seabourn bottom line, I hope they have a nice time .. and come back.

I was raised to believe that it is crass to boast about how much money one makes, what one paid for something, or to ask those questions of others, but even on Seabourn there will be some examples of such behavior I suppose. Just as there are examples of passengers who belittle and abuse staff. Impossible to completely escape these folks. Given the current state of politics in the US I am beginning to think there are many more of these folks than I ever imagined.

I've posted this same comment on another thread, but it's relevant here also. I always dread it when the conversation at the Sky Bar turns to, "so what did you pay". If I wasn't happy with the price I wouldn't have paid. A lower price can cause a great deal of angst for some. I agree with others, it's a bit crass to raise it. But I think sometimes people are just so happy with the deal they got.

Ponant price differently - the price when the itinerary is first published is 30% off for a period, then it reduces incrementally by 5%. So by booking early you have the greatest discount. In fact most of their itineraries sell out 12 months in advance. We were also advised that they do not sail with full capacity as many of their rooms open to the next to form larger suites. I have noted the comments of other bloggers who have had issues with Ponant. Aside from that I think their pricing policy has merits.

Thankfully I've only had to deal with that type of passenger on a different line. Sad to hear that they're infecting Seabourn. But then again, on my first Seabourn cruise on the Pride there was that person in R2 that had the staff reaching into his pocket for tips, and on the Odyssey there was the one passenger paying off crew to have their picture taken with his toy.

Edited by Emperor Norton

From what I have read on here Seabourn do seem to handle price drops pretty well. I know on mainstream cruise lines they wriggle out of giving anything back by calling the reduced fares a different promotion the arguing that because the new fare is a "super saver" rather than a "saver plus" you get nothing. In reality there is of course no difference. Same cabin, same food, same queues to do anything.

As has been mentioned initially SB seem to offer reduced fares or upgrade packages early on, pay for a window get a balcony. Then the upgrade goes as balconies sell. Nearer to the cruise there may be some discounts but there may not. We have seen fares rise as the lower grade accommodation sells out. Leave it too long and you might not get on board.

No one likes to think they've paid too much. By offering on board credits and upgrades SB soften the blow.

What makes the SB cruise fares and availability more complicated is the fact that 1 cruise might be part of 2 or 3 longer cruises. In that instance SB has to juggle things around. They might limit the number of shorter cruises to ensure availability for guests wanting to book the longer journey.

Our December Encore is a prime example. Dec 4th - Dec 20th, then Dec 20th - Jan 7th, or Dec 4th - Jan 7th. The first leg will be less popular than the Holiday leg. Ideally they want people to book the whole 35 day journey so availability gets restricted, prices juggled and nearer the time things might change. As an early adopter I need some sort of assurance that I will be looked after as & when prices move, particularly as the bulk of the movement will happen after final payment.

I'm happy at that stage to get OBC and / a suite upgrade. It lessens the blow and I am guaranteed to be on board.

Air travel is the same. You book business or first class travel and pay a premium. You could roll the dice and wait until you get to the airport but there is a high chance you might end up turning right and have your knees round your ears for 12 hours. In the case of the cruise you wouldn't be cruising!

The internet has made things like pricing much more transparent. Forums like this ensure we are educated customers. We must appreciate the rules of the game though.

Henry :)

Not meant to hijack the thread but - in general - where do these "reductions" appear? The prices on the SB website don't seem significantly lower than I usually see, but I haven't checked every one. Is that the source? Is it true (as many bloggers would have me believe) that my TA isn't going to beat the bottom line price supplied by SB? (credits and charters notwithstanding).

Not meant to hijack the thread but - in general - where do these "reductions" appear? The prices on the SB website don't seem significantly lower than I usually see, but I haven't checked every one. Is that the source? Is it true (as many bloggers would have me believe) that my TA isn't going to beat the bottom line price supplied by SB? (credits and charters notwithstanding).

I would be very surprised if booking directly with SB was ever the cheapest way to get on board. They usually quote web price at the time with no deviation to protect their agents.

A good agent will work with you as the SB commission is very generous compared to the likes of Royal Caribbean. SB need a strong army of re-sellers able to liaise with their clients and there are always alternatives to SB waiting in the wings.

Henry :)

Henry - slightly off topic but linked I think - I know we are not able to recommend travel agents on this board. I have used the same one the last 4 times (this has included Oceania and Regent as well as Seabourn) an Internet agent the name being linked to the number of stars Seabourn has however, how do we in the UK find the best travel agent for Seabourn cruises? I checked the find a travel professional on the Seabourn website but it just gives Carnival House. Do you use a smaller agent local to you or a larger one that has an on-line presence? Is there anywhere experienced cruisers are allowed to make recommendations?

Many thanks

Edited by Techno123

As has been explained on CC threads before, TAs are not only the source of better fares (big time) but they are allies- valuable ones at that. Wouldn't you want one should you have some sort of issue with the supplier cruise line versus trying to negotiate around a problem yourself?

Bottom line is that cruise lines are not really in the business of selling. Leave that to the professionals.

Happy sailing!

more follow up and possible thread hijacking, apologies...

regarding the fares - if I search the web and click on a link that says BEST CRUISE PRICES EVER or WE CANT BE BEAT or so on - and if I do this dozens of times, which I have - i have yet to see a fare that is less than the very same fare offered on Seabourn's website, or within, say, 5%. Hardly earth shaking, in any case. (this is not the fantasy brochure fare, but the realistic what-you'll-probably-pay fare)

sooo am I to conclude from all of you that, if I deal directly with a (perhaps local) TA, I will easily beat these rates by a decent margin?