Dress Code

lljost

Although I agree that swim ware is inappropriate I wouldn't allow it to affect my enjoyment of my meal. I wouldn't pay it a second thought and I certainly wouldn't waste time posting about it. There's nothing you can do about it so just ignore it and go about your business.

Sorry to rain on your parade but this is just the sort of attitude that has gotten us into todays societal down turn. Never judge, never call anyone out for poor behavior and then wonder why we are knee deep in so many problems.

The cruise lines ( all of them except Cunard) are relaxing their dress code enforcement in order to retain market share. If you notice, Cunard with their strict dress code enforcement were unable to exist as a stand alone cruise line and were absorbed by Carnival along with several others.

The days of formality on cruises are gone.

There are not enough cruisers left who desire to wear tuxedos to support cruise lines, so they are relaxing their enforcement out of financial necessity.

Edited by swedish weave

Sorry to rain on your parade but this is just the sort of attitude that has gotten us into todays societal down turn. Never judge, never call anyone out for poor behavior and then wonder why we are knee deep in so many problems.

Oh, I didn't realize the pax in shorts was yelling, making a scene and acting inappropriately to the crew or other passengers. If that was the case he should have been asked to adjust his behavior or leave. I just figured it was a guy trying to get some dinner like the rest of the group in a high volume restaurant which happened to be wearing swimshorts. After possibly being delayed extensively on his tour as someone has mentioned. My mistake.

That's just plain scary!! There's an awful lot of people with ghastly "taste" in attire and/or how their attire fits, no matter where you go. Makes one wonder what THEY see when they check themselves in the full length mirror before leaving the house. :confused: Some of things seen in stores and on streets would make one lose interest in dinner if it was worn to the dining room on a cruise!! :eek:

I've see a few people who were dressed up that scared me alright. They looked so foolish I couldn't pay attention to my meal. :p

I might notice a woman in a beautiful gown or a hot guy in a tux but otherwise I couldn't care less what anyone else wears to the dining room. I'm way too focused on enjoying my hubby and kids to notice what those around me are wearing. Of course we are usually laughing, talking or even occasionally laughingly making our teens stop "ringing" the water glass to pay attention to others. I do see usually older couples who barely speak to each other eating and I feel immensely sad for them but that's the extent of worrying about others. Maybe those people are the ones who have time to be aghast at what someone is or isn't wearing....

Someone's clothes wouldn't ruin my night. It's just disrespectful to not moderately follow the dress code. It's a elegant night and we enjoy seeing people dressed up. Go to the buffet or order room service if you can't wear slacks and collared shirt at a minimum.

For those complaining about the me,me,me groups please look at what you are posting.

I want everyone to dress according to a guideline so they please ME.

I think they should respect ME and what I want.

It will disturb ME if someone wears something I do not like in the MDR.

Why are all the people doing something I do not like as it does not please ME.

The ME ME ME works both ways. Enjoy your next cruise. I know I will as it will do what pleases ME not others.

Someone's clothes wouldn't ruin my night. It's just disrespectful to not moderately follow the dress code. It's a elegant night and we enjoy seeing people dressed up. Go to the buffet or order room service if you can't wear slacks and collared shirt at a minimum.

Tripper is exactly right. The guy-tired or not always has good alternatives to the MDR of he refuses to put on a good shirt and pants. Yet...for some reason, he insists on going to the MDR dressed inappropriately.

All I can say os go figure...

I have said many times before on here..if the cruise lines won't enforce their dress codes, then get rid of the dress codes and wear what you like.

It is not right that some take the trouble to dress appropriately and others could not give a toss.

Wow! A formal wear thread! What a surprise! I'm currently on the Diamond and not here on CC much, so imagine how shocked I was to log on and discover people are arguing about formal wear! Did anyone change any one else's mind yet? :p

Formal night on this cruise was more so than I've seen recently. More tuxes and almost every man in a tie and jacket.

Wow! A formal wear thread! What a surprise! I'm currently on the Diamond and not here on CC much, so imagine how shocked I was to log on and discover people are arguing about formal wear! Did anyone change any one else's mind yet? :p

Formal night on this cruise was more so than I've seen recently. More tuxes and almost every man in a tie and jacket.

Remember its your cruise!!

Enjoy.....

:D You make an excellent spokesperson for the Me Me Me crowd. :D

I am glad you appreciate when people talk about you and use you as a fine example of what they are talking about. Thank you for noticing.

Contrary to what some say, I think that Princess has a higher compliance rate in Aus/NZ than pretty much anywhere.

I think we have gone off the track here a little from the original post. Formal night is another matter altogether. The original post drew attention to what is an acceptable dress sense for a normal dining experience in the evening in the main dining rooms. It has always been my feeling that if you don't want to be even reasonably attired in the main dining rooms of an eveing you can always go to Horizon Court or out on deck. But having said that you only have to look around restaurants when you go out to dinner on land to see that times have certainly changed in regards to dress sense.

As I have said earlier if Princess does not want to enforce a dress code then they should not have one.:)

I think we have gone off the track here a little from the original post. Formal night is another matter altogether. The original post drew attention to what is an acceptable dress sense for a normal dining experience in the evening in the main dining rooms. It has always been my feeling that if you don't want to be even reasonably attired in the main dining rooms of an eveing you can always go to Horizon Court or out on deck. But having said that you only have to look around restaurants when you go out to dinner on land to see that times have certainly changed in regards to dress sense.

As I have said earlier if Princess does not want to enforce a dress code then they should not have one.:)

It's like most other dress code posts. It might start off referring to a casual evening & the posts quickly try to address both formal & casual evenings in the same breath.

This wasn't a formal wear thread. It was about not enforcing the dress code that excludes certain dress from the MDR's. Bathing suits, shorts, t's ... we all know the specific exclusions.

Apparently one guy got in for dinner with a bathing suit and T. That has to be like 1 in 10,000 situation. I have seen and others have reported people turned away in shorts to go change (outside of embarkation).

Another poster mentioned that on this evening a ton of folks were returned to the ship late by Princess excursions. Who knows if they were told to just head to the MDR as they were due to the time?

IDK - I wasn't on the ship. I do agree with enforcing the excluded very casual dress from MDR. I have to believe there was some sort of exceptional situation because this is hardly the norm (bathing suits and T's - even shorts for that matter).

I had this same experience on the QM2 some years back on formal night. The vast majority of pax had on tuxedos & formal suits(as is Cunard's norm) This guy had on swim pants & wife beater t shirt. I demanded he be ejected & go dress properly. I have no problems during breakfast & lunch when pax dress like that, but not at night in the MDR. The Maître D finally had the slob removed. We found out later this guy had planned this all along. We never saw him in the MDR after that. On our Feb.7-21 Regal Princess cruise we saw MANY pax dressed like absolute trailer trash. This was during Feb.7-14 of the trip. seemed the Football crowd had no idea what proper evening dress was. Luckily, they were not allowed in Allegro. Most were up in Horizon buffet. I can deal with nice shorts(not at dinner) but some of these guys were just horribly dressed at night including the formal nights. I know many here say ignore it. Sorry, but when we book a nice cruise I don't care to see slobs like that. Kind of ruins the ambience.

So it is only the men who push the guidelines on formal nights.....seen plenty of the other sex too who gets in but not dressed very classy.....:confused:

It really isn't about formal wear, but about what is considered acceptable dress for a night out at almost any type of restaurant(except McDonalds!)

I am glad you appreciate when people talk about you and use you as a fine example of what they are talking about. Thank you for noticing.

Funny how you interpreted my post. :D

They can surely say that I respect all other respectful people when I spread my "Me Me Me" rhetoric. My "Me Me Me" statements are for the good of the majority of Princess cruisers and follow Princess guidelines.

The "Me Me Me" people that you champion are the complete opposite. ;)

Get over it already. It is not going to get any better. I feel sorry for people who let stuff like, what other people wear to dinner bother them. If that is the worst thing that happens to you, you should be happy. Good grief, you are on a cruise ship, try to have a little fun, :rolleyes:

What everyone is failing to mention is if the cruise line personnel are making the decision about who is allowed in the MDR, our opinions don't mean a thing.

That's what the Maitre d is for, and the head waiter. Let them know you are offended and make them react. People tip or not tip for a reason. If it bothers you so much to ruin your night do something about it.

That's what the Maitre d is for, and the head waiter. Let them know you are offended and make them react. People tip or not tip for a reason. If it bothers you so much to ruin your night do something about it.

I don't care a whit about what other people wear. The guy at the door decides what is appropriate and I respect his decisions.

That sure makes life easier and more pleasant.

I think the "I believe you should be able to wear what you like it's your holiday" crowd would not like sitting next to a big hairy man just wearing a sparkly sequinned thong and a bow tie. Presumably however they should be thinking that this acceptable wear on any night of his cruise.

Where do you draw the line, you do not, the cruise line does and puts it in writing for all to read and adhere to.

Regards John

And then does not enforce it giving tactic apprval to those they let in not complying to their "Guidelines". So where is the so called line drawn at.

OP:

We were on the CB for two weeks as well. We overlapped your first week and we were on the week prior too.

We were not in the Palm but in the other one on floor 6 (cannot remember the name). We saw a couple of different men in shorts and flip flops for evening dining throughout the cruise- not just the night we sailed late. Before anyone gets all up your nose about how I knew they were different men- trust me, even two weeks on a cruise couldn't make someone gain that much weight.... :)

This was the case on our Christmas cruise on the Grand. Shorts and flip flops in the evening dining venue.

I understand what you are saying. If a dress code is stated then it should be enforced.

Someone above said something about men/women discrepancies. I agree. A few years ago my husband was sent back to the room for a jacket on formal night while I continued on to our table. I followed a woman in jean capri's and a t-shirt going to her table.

No, it doesn't ruin anyone's cruise or meal. I don't look under the table while we eat. But, I do think that it is a matter of respect for those around you to dress as the evening dictates. Should some decide not to follow the request and are let in then so be it. When it gets too bad that it detracts from my pleasure then I will move on.