Dress Code

lljost

We have been on the Caribbean Princess the past two weeks. Cannot believe what people are wearing in the dining room at dinner and nothing is being said. Last night we walked in to Late Fixed seating in the Palm Dining behind a man with a t-shirt and swim trunks on. One of the head waiters looked right at him and never said a word. I questioned him and said, is it ok to wear swim wear to dinner now. He never said a word to me. We spoke with our head waiter and he indicated that he says something if it he sees it but it appears that the Maitre'd and head waiters are definitely not enforcing any kind of dress code for dinner. I have no problem with nice dress shorts for dinner on the men but swim trunks never belong in there. We were on the Crown in December and watched one of the head waiters refuse a man wearing a tank top in for breakfast. Why can't there be consistency across the ships?

If you want condistency across the ships you will not get it done here. That is something Princess corporate will have to decre and dmand adherence to by its staff. Otherwise all that will happen is more and more rancor on this and other web sites.

Hope this gets locked quickly.

Edited by Potstech

While I agree that a bathing suit isn't really acceptable for the dining room many of my bathing suite look just like shorts. Are you sure his "bathing suit" was not in actuality a pair of shorts that look similar?

Consistency is something that you won't find on Princess ships. Different head waiters have they're own way of running their dining rooms.

While I agree that a bathing suit isn't really acceptable for the dining room many of my bathing suite look just like shorts. Are you sure his "bathing suit" was not in actuality a pair of shorts that look similar?

Consistency is something that you won't find on Princess ships. Different head waiters have they're own way of running their dining rooms.

Definitely a mans swim trunks and a simple t-shirt. My DH and I are long time Princess cruises and yes we know the inconsistencies on board the different ships, but really the Maite'D should set the example and strongly encourage his head waiters to do the same...

My head is still spinning from why on earth would anyone wear a bathing suit to the dining room. The person's self-respect must be very low or else they're living in their own world that revolves around themselves.

Princess in general is afraid to confront any passenger or enforce common decency even if it means negatively affecting many other passengers. It's a "the customer is always right even when they're wrong" attitude. :(

Definitely a mans swim trunks and a simple t-shirt. My DH and I are long time Princess cruises and yes we know the inconsistencies on board the different ships, but really the Maite'D should set the example and strongly encourage his head waiters to do the same...

I see by your future cruises that you have a cruise coming up on the Crown. In past years it was noted as being one of the ships with a more lenient dress code enforcement. Let us know how it stacks up to the CB.

My head is still spinning from why on earth would anyone wear a bathing suit to the dining room. The person's self-respect must be very low or else they're living in their own world that revolves around themselves.

Princess in general is afraid to confront any passenger or enforce common decency even if it means negatively affecting many other passengers. It's a "the customer is always right even when they're wrong" attitude. :(

Pam, you hit the nail on the head exactly!! The world revolves around them. They are all that matter, and they will do as they please. To heck with the rules. It seems to be the prevailing attitude today. Me me me.

As far as Princess being afraid to enforce the rules, maybe they would tick off a few people, but I would bet there are more of us that would be pleased to see enforcement.

I agree with what Pam posted .

But,here's a thought - if Princess does not want to dissuade passengers who obviously are not dressed according to the ship's guidelines,then what about those passengers who do respect the guidelines? Those of us that do show consideration for the way we dress for dinner should also be respected.

If someone wants to be dressed "comfortably" for dinner,they can go the the buffet or the grill on the pool deck.

I also agree with another poster who suggested taking comments to the Princess corporate level.

Maybe,if they receive enough comments.,guidelines may be followed more consistently across the ships in the Princess fleet.

Another thought- I think Princess mentions that passengers should dress in a way similar to what they would wear to a fine dining restaurant at home.

I can not imagine a gentleman being seated at a Manhattan restaurant ( or any major city) wearing a bathing suit and a simple t shirt.

A lot of shorts look like swim trunks. I have to laugh about the whole situation. Visiting with a couple of the head waiters and maître d last week on the CB, they were ALL looking forward to the end of the "B2B season." They had has many as 800 B2B cruisers each the past few weeks. which had made life a living HELL for all. This group of of cruisers spent most of their time "complaining" about the ship the staff and mostly the other passengers. He wasn't sure whether they were running a Jr high School or a nursing home. I was thrilled. Its not often I get to feel young anymore.

I don't suppose the OP noticed that there was a late departure yesterday for the CB as several large groups were late returning to the ship???

G'day Pam

In my opinion nothing to do with LOW self respect, just the opposite in fact, it's me, me, me me.

Seems to be the age we are in, no one but me matters. No such thing as consideration of others.

Once again we bow to the minority and they are allowed to get away with it. As has been indicated already, I also am of the opinion that Princess take the attitude that the passenger is always right and they don't want to run the risk oif upsetting them. But it is also obvious that they don't care much about the rest of us who do the right thing. If Princess is not prepared to enforce the dress code then don't have one. It is my opinion that a dress code should be enforced particularly for evening meals.:)

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

.....:):):)

Bob

We have been on the Caribbean Princess the past two weeks. Cannot believe what people are wearing in the dining room at dinner and nothing is being said. Last night we walked in to Late Fixed seating in the Palm Dining behind a man with a t-shirt and swim trunks on. One of the head waiters looked right at him and never said a word. I questioned him and said, is it ok to wear swim wear to dinner now. He never said a word to me. We spoke with our head waiter and he indicated that he says something if it he sees it but it appears that the Maitre'd and head waiters are definitely not enforcing any kind of dress code for dinner. I have no problem with nice dress shorts for dinner on the men but swim trunks never belong in there. We were on the Crown in December and watched one of the head waiters refuse a man wearing a tank top in for breakfast. Why can't there be consistency across the ships?

Consistency across the ships? Aye, there's the rub.

For that you need a head office with a clear focus and a plan for everything.

They need to decide on standards and then inform the ship staff of those standards.

Each ship needs a Captain that takes a walk around in a while.

If a Captain said to the Maitre 'd- what was that Circus Clown doing in my MDR last night in his shorts and tee shirt? the MD would blush and inwardly say "Damn-he's found me out" and stutter- it will never happen again Cap'n. I'll have a word with my Head Waiters right away!

But it will happen again as Mr Swim Shorts and everyone who dropped their jaw at seeing this apparition will now know how high the bar lies re the dress code.

The classy clown should have been stopped at the door and a head waiter called over. He could have said "I'm sorry sir but you'll need to wear pants and a shirt for dinner. If you wish to dine as you are then you may want to dine in the buffet this evening." If it's the guy's first time on a ship or first time eating with adults without a high chair involved he'll probably understand that there are rules and expectations.

The Head Waiters have nice white jackets and have risen though the ranks from waiter to....Head Waiter! Now they just want to be left alone.

On some ships there will be staff who believe in the standards and will uphold them-with diplomacy and some people skills. The shorts guy will slink back to his cabin to change and no one will notice or if they do they will say "nice to see standards being upheld!"

Company policy is something that every staff member on every ship needs to adhere to. 'Dependent on which ship..." should never be a reason for variations from the standard expected.

If I complain to a Head Waiter and he doesn't respond I'll say- Thanks,I'll speak to the MD.

If I speak to the MD and he doesn't do anything I'll say- Thanks, I'll speak to the Hotel Manager.

Some of them are too terrified, of being found out as a sham, to take action in upholding standards that the rest of us abide by without question.

Take names and escalate until someone does something. If enough of us do then maybe PCL will realize there's a problem.

Good post!

Norris

With all of the outrage I will assume his swimshorts were speedos or something equally revealing and a potential health hazard.

Without any context I will admit swimshirts to dinner is a bit much. It wouldn't hurt my dining experience at all nor would I really care. However, kids often do. Can they setup a separate dinning room for just kids? I guess thankfully it's Princess so kids are less of n immediate concern.

Consistency across the ships? Aye, there's the rub.

For that you need a head office with a clear focus and a plan for everything.

They need to decide on standards and then inform the ship staff of those standards.

Each ship needs a Captain that takes a walk around in a while.

If a Captain said to the Maitre 'd- what was that Circus Clown doing in my MDR last night in his shorts and tee shirt? the MD would blush and inwardly say "Damn-he's found me out" and stutter- it will never happen again Cap'n. I'll have a word with my Head Waiters right away!

But it will happen again as Mr Swim Shorts and everyone who dropped their jaw at seeing this apparition will now know how high the bar lies re the dress code.

The classy clown should have been stopped at the door and a head waiter called over. He could have said "I'm sorry sir but you'll need to wear pants and a shirt for dinner. If you wish to dine as you are then you may want to dine in the buffet this evening." If it's the guy's first time on a ship or first time eating with adults without a high chair involved he'll probably understand that there are rules and expectations.

The Head Waiters have nice white jackets and have risen though the ranks from waiter to....Head Waiter! Now they just want to be left alone.

On some ships there will be staff who believe in the standards and will uphold them-with diplomacy and some people skills. The shorts guy will slink back to his cabin to change and no one will notice or if they do they will say "nice to see standards being upheld!"

Company policy is something that every staff member on every ship needs to adhere to. 'Dependent on which ship..." should never be a reason for variations from the standard expected.

If I complain to a Head Waiter and he doesn't respond I'll say- Thanks,I'll speak to the MD.

If I speak to the MD and he doesn't do anything I'll say- Thanks, I'll speak to the Hotel Manager.

Some of them are too terrified, of being found out as a sham, to take action in upholding standards that the rest of us abide by without question.

Take names and escalate until someone does something. If enough of us do then maybe PCL will realize there's a problem.

Good post!

Norris

What I highlighted in red is the perfect thing for the headwaiter or maitre'd to say.

Goodness gracious, a man could easily put on dockers and a polo, golf, or tropical shirt.

Excellent idea ! :D Optional dressing up should be the rule on all the ships. :D

That's just plain scary!! There's an awful lot of people with ghastly "taste" in attire and/or how their attire fits, no matter where you go. Makes one wonder what THEY see when they check themselves in the full length mirror before leaving the house. :confused: Some of things seen in stores and on streets would make one lose interest in dinner if it was worn to the dining room on a cruise!! :eek:

Just came off the Crown and saw a man going into dining room,for dinner,wearing shorts, and he was told he has to go change into pants.At least,that waiter,was enforcing the rules.

Although I agree that swim ware is inappropriate I wouldn't allow it to affect my enjoyment of my meal. I wouldn't pay it a second thought and I certainly wouldn't waste time posting about it. There's nothing you can do about it so just ignore it and go about your business.

If Princess is not prepared to enforce the dress code then don't have one. It is my opinion that a dress code should be enforced particularly for evening meals.:)

Totally agree....times have changed and there is almost no place in American society where formal wear is really mandatory anymore....get with the times Princess!!! :):)

For those complaining about the me,me,me groups please look at what you are posting.

I want everyone to dress according to a guideline so they please ME.

I think they should respect ME and what I want.

It will disturb ME if someone wears something I do not like in the MDR.

Why are all the people doing something I do not like as it does not please ME.

The ME ME ME works both ways. Enjoy your next cruise. I know I will as it will do what pleases ME not others.

Edited by Potstech

For those complaining about the me,me,me groups please look at what you are posting.

I want everyone to dress according to a guideline so they please ME.

I think they should respect ME and what I want.

It will disturb ME if someone wears something I do not like in the MDR.

Why are all the people doing something I do not like as it does not please ME.

The ME ME ME works both ways. Enjoy your next cruise. I know I will as it will do what pleases ME not others.

:D You make an excellent spokesperson for the Me Me Me crowd. :D

Dunno about the me crowd. But once again, I'd like to point out that this horrible thing happened the evening the ship was quite late leaving port because several large groups were very late returning from a ship sponsored excursion to a historical site near the border. They were hot tired and I'm sure more than a bit concerned.

Granted like a lot of threads this went its own direction, but one would THINK when there are mitigating circumstances, the pax would have at least as much consideration for others as the staff..............

But course rules are rules...................