Is there a slow cruising month?

Toad

We recently signed up for a cruise at the end of the month into April, so obviously I am excited and once again searching he boards for information. Is it me or is this site less busy than it is at other times of the year? Do less people cruise in the spring?

Plenty of folks are cruising all around the world in the spring :). We assume you are going to the Caribbean...and if so you will likely find your ship just about full.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I used to sell travel years ago, and when I did, the autumn months used to be slower or softer than the other months especially for Caribbean and European sailings.

For this year, the last week in March going into April may bring more families as some elementary/high schools are off for spring break. I teach at a private elementary school and we are off the last week of March into April as well as some other schools in my area too. However due to Easter being early and Passover being later this year, the school breaks are staggered between the end of March until mid-April.

Edited by nycruiser80

If you are looking for lower prices because of less demand, December up until about the 20th and mid January into early February tend to be less pricey. I have gotten good rates at the end of April into early May as well as in November.

However, prices fluctuate even on individual cruises, much like airline prices. Generally the earlier you book, the better the price.

Because an empty cabin generates no onboard revenue, they like to sail full. Sometimes as the final payment approaches and right after the final payment there might be a price drop to encourage those who can go last minute.

Clear as mud, right?

There is no slow cruising month. HAL tries to fill their ships no matter when the ship sails.

If you wish to get the best deals, specifically in the Caribbean, try between Thanksgiving and Christmas, excluding the Day. We sail almost every year during this time. Last Dec15 we sailed on the Westerdam, 7 day, Caribbean, got a base rate Signature Suite for $799/person.

I have not noticed this site being less busy. Cruise Critic would know, I don't know whether their traffic trends are available to the public. I thought spring was traditionally a busy cruise period with many people cruising over spring break. The period between Thanksgiving and Christmas are considered the slowest. Price variances on identical itineraries on the same ship will give you an idea of demand. The first and last Alaska cruises of the season are apt to sell for less, for instance.

I have not noticed this site being less busy. Cruise Critic would know, I don't know whether their traffic trends are available to the public.
For my own amusement for a number of years I've been tracking the monthly counts of new members, new threads, and new posts. All taper down Oct>Dec and peak in Apr>May. In the last 12 months we gained 683 members in May and just 249 in Dec. Jul>Sep were all in the mid 300's, and Jan>Feb this year were in the low 400's.

Edited by jtl513

For my own amusement for a number of years I've been tracking the monthly counts of new members, new threads, and new posts. All taper down Oct>Dec and peak in Apr>May. In the last 12 months we gained 683 members in May and just 249 in Dec. Jul>Sep were all in the mid 300's, and Jan>Feb this year were in the low 400's.

Thank you this is very informative.

We have already booked, but noticed the actual sailing appeared to be slow to sell out in spite of the fact that it is scheduled during late March into April. I wasn't really concerned about the price since we have already paid in full. I was just curious if there was a time that more people were looking to cruise or not, and if the cruise critic website was busier at a certain time than others. I have also thought that the roll calls have been less active. Just an observation, so happy to have others input.

We used to sail in the summer every year but changed it up to november even over thanksgiving because $$ was a little more affordable and because the little darlings are in school. Great time of year to travel:D

Certainly agree with Carib in early Dec. We have had some smokin'deals in the first and second week booked in November. But we have also had four or five great Med trips in Oct-usually booked in mid Sept.

The trick is to know what a good fare is and be prepared to book, understand air pricing/options if applicable, and be flexible as to ship and cruise line. Your patience, your work, and your flexibility will be generously rewarded.