Ferrari watches on the ship

chris.b.74

I bought a Ferrari watch on the Dream in February during the 70% off sale. Paid $100 for it only to find out when I got home that I can buy one here exactly like it for $80. I will never buy any Jewelry again on a cruise ship.

Jewelry purchased onboard is usually not a good deal, even with all the supposed sales. You end up paying just as much if not more than what you'd pay back in the US. These "sales" are designed to sucker people into buying things that they would've never purchased.

As others mentioned, do some research about what you intend to purchase. The Internet is your friend. Many times, you can find the same watch that you're interested in much cheaper ashore. Just make sure that you're purchasing from a reputable retailer.

I bought a Ferrari watch on the Dream in February during the 70% off sale. Paid $100 for it only to find out when I got home that I can buy one here exactly like it for $80. I will never buy any Jewelry again on a cruise ship.

Didn't do as bad as you thought. The after tax price is around $87. Only a $13 difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Didn't do as bad as you thought. The after tax price is around $87. Only a $13 difference.

I like your "glass half full" attitude, but the ship's advertised "70% off"is a bunch of "doo-doo". That would mean that the original price is $335 in order to make it $100 after the discount. And even with this "sale", the final price is still 20% more than what the OP would've paid had he purchased the watch back home.

Deceptive doesn't even start to describe it.

Well I'll be a son of a gun...sounds like I may be the only cruiser that actually got a deal on a watch purchased onboard.

Last March while sailing on the Pride they had a sale on Citizen watches, 35% off or something like that like. I saw a watch I liked, decided to treat myself. I did the same thing when returning home and checked prices, was surprised to find what I paid on board was less then prices I saw online and a couple of retail stores. Just did a quick search online, current prices at various online outlets are still considerably higher. Guess I got lucky.

Well I'll be a son of a gun...sounds like I may be the only cruiser that actually got a deal on a watch purchased onboard.

Last March while sailing on the Pride they had a sale on Citizen watches, 35% off or something like that like. I saw a watch I liked, decided to treat myself. I did the same thing when returning home and checked prices, was surprised to find what I paid on board was less then prices I saw online and a couple of retail stores. Just did a quick search online, current prices at various online outlets are still considerably higher. Guess I got lucky.

My step-mom got a watch, don't remember the brand, that she didn't really like. But, she was so thrilled with the big savings and is a "brand name snob", I didn't have the heart to tell her she only saved $5. plus tax. She could have bought it at home and picked the one she liked better for very little more in cost. I got stung years ago on a diamond ring purchase. Wasn't worth 25% of what I paid for it. I don't even look, anymore. Though they do have some cheap costume jewelry that is fine if you don't expect it to last very long.

The price that they are claiming the big discounts on are the MSRP, not the retail price that the jewelry is actually going for. I found a cpl watches I liked on the ship, but sent the model number to a friend on Facebook and they did the research for me and it was still $20-$100 cheaper on land than the ship.

If you have the receipt go on your September cruise this year and get them to honor the guarantee, buyers remorse.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

Not the only one. I got a good deal also on a Citizen watch a few years back when sailing the Freedom.

I bought a Citizens on the Magic in 2013. I was in the market for a watch before the cruise so I was familiar with prices and available models. I saw one on the Magic that I really liked and bought it, knowing it was about the same price I could get it for online. But being able to try it on and inspect it before purchase made it a good deal in my book. It was only $90 so not much risk anyway.

I've found that it is typically a brand by brand risk. Certain brands have HUGE markups (Invicta, Ferrari) so they can have a 70% off sale. I have an Invicta watch that had an MSRP of $1495, I bought it for $179.95. Same watch was 70-75% off on Carnival for over $350 still.

Other brands like Citizen, Tag, Rolex although I'm not comparing them, they are more established brands and the sales will be much less extreme and prices more comparable to sale prices at your local jeweler.

I've found that it is typically a brand by brand risk. Certain brands have HUGE markups (Invicta, Ferrari) so they can have a 70% off sale. I have an Invicta watch that had an MSRP of $1495, I bought it for $179.95. Same watch was 70-75% off on Carnival for over $350 still.

Other brands like Citizen, Tag, Rolex although I'm not comparing them, they are more established brands and the sales will be much less extreme and prices more comparable to sale prices at your local jeweler.

I think all Rolex watches sold on board are used and that further compounds the price comparison problem. Not to mention you have no idea of the condition of the watch unless you are an experienced watch maker/jeweler. Caveat emptor.

If you have the receipt go on your September cruise this year and get them to honor the guarantee, buyers remorse.

Good luck with that! If you read the fine print, you will see it's not that simple. In fact they specifically state "buyers remorse" is not an acceptable reason for return. You have to bring proof of the items value. In my case, (diamond ring) I would have had to bring an appraisal. At that time I never planned on going on a Carnival cruise again so didn't bother. Now that I do cruise with them, it is too late as I gave it away

...until something goes wrong with what is basically a "gray market" product (i.e., no US warranty). Search CC for the negative stories regarding trying to get money back for junk (or even reputable items) purchased on a ship.

Likewise, jewelry purchases: find and watch the NBC News piece about jewelry ripoffs in Caribbean ports. And, while you're at it, check out their other segment on the "not-so-free wifi" in cruise ports.

...until something goes wrong with what is basically a "gray market" product (i.e., no US warranty). Search CC for the negative stories regarding trying to get money back for junk (or even reputable items) purchased on a ship.

Likewise, jewelry purchases: find and watch the NBC News piece about jewelry ripoffs in Caribbean ports. And, while you're at it, check out their other segment on the "not-so-free wifi" in cruise ports.

As I mentioned above, the main thing when purchasing expensive items when going ashore (watches, jewelry, electronics, etc) is to go to a REPUTABLE store or licensed distributor. All this research can be done before the cruise. Don't buy a Rolex from a street vendor or from a store with the word "Rolex" written with a sharpie on a piece of cardboard and expect it to be legit.

The most expensive thing I've purchased during a cruise was a Tissot watch. I researched in advance the cost of the specific watch that I wanted at stores back home and then I looked up authorized stores in the Bahamas (where we were headed). I compared the price at home, the ship and in Nassau. The one in Nassau was a couple hundred dollars cheaper so that's the one I purchased.

I've taken my watch for service at authorized stores where I live and they've told me that the watch and the warranty certificate that came with it are all legit so I guess my research paid off. [emoji3]

Edited by Tapi