What is considered a "good" rate?

We are a family of 5 sailing out our PC in June on the Magic (western caribbean). Our rate before taxes and everything comes to about $801 a person. I have been checking for price drops every day and it's not budging. Just wondering if the rate we got was good or not and if I should not be expecting any PDs.

We are a family of 5 sailing out our PC in June on the Magic (western caribbean). Our rate before taxes and everything comes to about $801 a person. I have been checking for price drops every day and it's not budging. Just wondering if the rate we got was good or not and if I should not be expecting any PDs.

How many days?

Balcony, ocean view or inside cabin?

Not nearly enough information to provide an opinion.

But let me offer some unsolicited advice..

If all 5 of you are staying in one cabin, you might went to check the price of booking 2 cabins instead. I found that a balcony for 4 was more expensive than the same category balcony for 2 and the interior cabin for 2 right across the hall. Double the floor space, bathrooms and storage space...plus still had a balcony to enjoy.

also , when are you going? different times of the season has different price points. going during holidays or when school is out cost more than other times.

still need more info to determine if its a good deal.

Hi there

Once school is out you will always find prices go up. Unfortunately prices will likely not come down as you get closer to June, more likely they will go up.

You can only compare the per person price to something similar. So if I was to say that I went a cruise for $400 per person last fall, it would be meaningless.

What you can do is compare the price for your selected date to the price on the same ship (if the itineraries are the same) for the dates a few weeks before and a few weeks after. You will get a sense now of the rates for the cruise you have selected.

What you can now do is see if there are some comparable cruises with other cruise lines. Again check a variety of dates around your preferred sailing dates. You now have real numbers to compare to. Research the ships for specific amenities etc...and make a decision.

It really doesn't take too much time and may save you a lot of money. Some people feel that their TA will do the job for them but I feel that if I haven't checked for myself I can't be sure that I have all the information.

have a great cruise

P.S. as was said, for 5 people, unless you really feel an OV cabin is important, connecting interiors is a good choice

Deciding on the amount is a tough question but compare different cruise lines, different ships and even shore based vacations. In the end for my family it comes down to if we have the cash on hand to pay for it before we sail.

For us, any balcony cabin at less then $100/per person/per day is a great deal. Where else can you get a view, all meals (plus some!), entertainment, and travel to different countries for that?

Rates can be so different. It's really hard to say. For instance, we cruise next month in a b2b on the Breeze, an 8 day southern and a 6 day western. (2 people balcony) we paid $689 each for the 6 day and $1,129 each for the 8 day. Almost twice as much for an extra two days! I'd say don't stress, as you felt comfortable paying what you did. Just have fun.

Not nearly enough information to provide an opinion.

But let me offer some unsolicited advice..

If all 5 of you are staying in one cabin, you might went to check the price of booking 2 cabins instead. I found that a balcony for 4 was more expensive than the same category balcony for 2 and the interior cabin for 2 right across the hall. Double the floor space, bathrooms and storage space...plus still had a balcony to enjoy.

This is a great idea I've failed to realize. Interesting for future cruises.

Not knowing the kind of accommodation, specific date or length of cruise it is hard to answer your question - but in general, any rate I am willing to pay is, by definition, a good rate.

That said, normally in June rates begin the summer time spike as the ships fill with families who have kids on summer break.

Also, in general, if everyone is in the same cabin and the rate is $800 PP for each person, then that seems kinda high. I'd expect that to be the price for the first two in cabin, but would expect the others to pay a lower fare

Edited by Hobbsey

Not knowing the kind of accommodation or length of cruise it is hard to answer our question - but in general, any rate I am willing to pay is, by definition, a good rate.

That said, normally in June rates begin the summer time spike as the ships fill with families who have kids on summer break.

Before you are chastised, it's 7 days OV.

$800pp before taxes and fees seems a little high to me, even in June. We have mostly cruised in the summer, so I am familiar with the rates at that time. The fares for additional passengers are usually quite a bit lower, which lowers the overall rate.

What are the fares for the first two passengers and the remaining three?

Before you are chastised, it's 7 days OV.

LOL, thanks - I saw that after I posted.

Still, merely knowing that wouldn't completely help since OV constitutes multiple sub categories which may cost differently.

How far out did you book the cruise? Typically there's a big difference in price between booking 1-3 years out and booking within 6-12 months of the cruise. The price may have been the best available at the time of your booking but would have been a few hundred dollars cheaper further out.

I just booked the same cruise last week for next October (I know, going to be hard to wait). We booked a balcony for 2 people. When I booked it was $814/person, then there were two different sales (both ES) so we are down to $769/pp. Not too bad since we are on the Lido deck. That comes out to approximately $109 a night.

I agree with the person who said, whatever you are willing to pay is a good rate.

For us, any balcony cabin at less then $100/per person/per day is a great deal. Where else can you get a view, all meals (plus some!), entertainment, and travel to different countries for that?

This is pretty much my thinking, as well, for a seven day. I haven't booked anything less than a seven day since 2009. ;)