Curious incident final night of my 1st princess cruise

newcruzer2

On the flip side, we always put the "Please make up room" sign on the door when we leave the room for the morning. It makes the room steward's job easier knowing for certain we are not in the room.

I laughed when I read this. Was it on Costa Line? (I sailed on several of their cruises in the early 1980s.) I was so embarrassed when I returned to my cabin and found my nightgown "displayed" on the bed, with the waist area narrowed and the bottom part fanned out. I hid my nightgown after that. LOL. You brought back a memory of my early days of cruising.

I had that happen on another cruise line years ago and it "freaked me out" that he had been going through the clothes in the drawers. He was kind of creepy anyway. The next day I asked him not to go through our clothes and he stopped.

WCC

First off it's Steward not Stewart! .

If we are going to be picky, it's steward, not Steward. A room steward is a position, not a name (proper noun). Hence, the lower case 's' rather than than an capitalized 'S'.

All in good fun. Just had to give you a hard time, too! :D:D:D

Hi All

Have had room stewards organise my stuff for me, or fold stuff better than the way I have left them, not a problem,

yours Shogun

Same for me. The only time I've felt that Stewart was out of line was on RCCL when we went to dinner the last night. I had put money in a tip envelope marked Room Steward BUT it was inside a book on the desk. It was not visible. He had to search through all my stuff to find it. As far as I'm concerned he stole that money. Until I place it in his hand it was not his.

On the flip side, we always put the "Please make up room" sign on the door when we leave the room for the morning. It makes the room steward's job easier knowing for certain we are not in the room.

That's what we do. It at least gives them a chance to get ahead a little.

I go on Word and make up a simple list in large font. I ask for extra pillows, ice twice a day and extra hangers.

I also tell our steward we're early seating and anything else I think of.

That starts him off at least knowing a little about our needs.

I pack pretty much before dinner the last night, so he doesn't have to move a lot reorganizing the closet and the life jackets.

We've always been very lucky in our stewards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On quite a lot of our cruises our steward has neatly folded my pjs and put them in the top drawer of the night stand. On one cruise our steward would hand up any clothes I left hanging on the back of the desk chair, I make sure to hang them straight away now, not because I don't want anybody touching them but because it's wasting their valuable time cleaning up after me!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newcruzer; reading in between the lines; because I do not think it possible to give a definitive answer based on your scant account of the incident. I should like to point out that placing a Do not disturb sign on your cabin door then going off to dinner seems a bit weird. I cannot see the point of this action, however what is more important is how the steward would take this. You also mention your husband saying letting it go would be the best thing to do but you did not follow his sound advice. This is the start of the dysfunctional relationship between your good self and the steward in question. You also mentioned that the cabin steward was a woman. The problem here I feel is trying to understand the thought processes of a female cabin steward but giving an inadequate account of the circumstances. Approximately how tall was she?

Regards John

Edited by john watson

No wonder your steward took your wire hangers - he thought they were ship hangers!

There's no need for anyone to pack extra hangers to take on a cruise. All you have to do is ask your steward the first day for more hangers and he will bring you some wire hangers. When people get their clothes back from the ship's laundry, the wire hangers that the clothes came back on are collected at the end of the cruise and reused by the next passengers who board. We always ask for a couple dozen wire hangers as I like most of my clothes hanging in the closet.

Yes, I know I can get hangers from the steward. But I like to not hassle it and give the steward one more special request, and I like to just have them with me, and also for hotels at either end too. The ship laundry hangers do look like mine (maybe they are mine from a previous cruise :)), I know that, and if I got some of theirs with some ship laundry I leave those. If I really want to leave some of my hangers I do. But since I have reasons for wanting to take most of them with me usually, I have learned to just pack them away on the second-to-last night. Some stewards want to take them away, and I understand but it's easier for me to pack them away rather than trying to explain the situation.

My DH and I are,by our natures,very neat people.

We keep.our cabin picked up and as clutter-free as possible.

I am aware that the stewards ( that's stewards) are extremely busy on Princess lately where the number of cabins they are responsible for has increased over the years.

On the last night of a cruise,we are packed and our bags are placed out in the hall before we go to dinner.

We keep our carryons in the cabin,so that we have what we need for the night and the next day.

Before we leave the cabin on the final day, I do a "sweep" of the cabin,collecting trash and putting it in the bins, neatening the bathroom by getting rid of any unwanted bath products and straightening the wooden hangers by putting the clip hangers together and the plain hangers together.

This takes only a few minutes ,but I think that it may help the steward ( that's steward) a bit when he/ she is getting the cabin prepared for the next passenger(s).

I guess it is my idea of paying a kindness forward.

I'm still trying to figure out how the OP's experience is somehow a problem. My opinion is give it a rest. The situation seems like a non-existent issue when all is said and done.

YMMV

Let me first say the we appreciate how hard the room stewards work and tip them well. We are easy neat guest.

When I put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door (for what ever reason) it means I do not want anyone in the room. Whether I am in the room or not.

Sometimes I leave things out that I do not want disturbed, moved or handled.

I don't do it often, but I know I would be upset if my request was ignored.

While I am on the ship, I consider the room ours till the morning we disembark. Until then, I see no reason for the steward to go through the drawers and closet while my personal belongings are in there.

Straightening the hangers, life vest, and clean bedding under the bed is fine. Messing with my clothes and personal items is not.

Luckily, we haven't had this happen since our first cruise when they used my nightgown for a towel animal.

Luckily, we haven't had this happen since our first cruise when they used my nightgown for a towel animal.

Not to make light of your post (at least not too much) I hope that you got a picture............:rolleyes:

Let me first say the we appreciate how hard the room stewards work and tip them well. We are easy neat guest.

When I put a Do Not Disturb sign on the door (for what ever reason) it means I do not want anyone in the room. Whether I am in the room or not.

Sometimes I leave things out that I do not want disturbed, moved or handled.

I don't do it often, but I know I would be upset if my request was ignored.

While I am on the ship, I consider the room ours till the morning we disembark. Until then, I see no reason for the steward to go through the drawers and closet while my personal belongings are in there.

Straightening the hangers, life vest, and clean bedding under the bed is fine. Messing with my clothes and personal items is not.

My thoughts EXACTLY...and thank goodness no one ever made an animal out of my nightie!

Not to make light of your post (at least not too much) I hope that you got a picture............:rolleyes:

I'm sure I have it somewhere! Will have to look. To this day I still hide my nightgown. :D

And yes, conscientious stewards on the last night has pulled out items left in the drawer and tucked away in the closet or gathered together all clothes left in the closet to make sure nothing is forgotten in the packing.

No. No. No.

A conscientious cabin steward will respect your privacy and not look in closed drawers, will not rearrange anything in drawers, and will not remove anything from drawers any day or night of the cruise.

On two Princess cruises a cabin steward has emptied the drawers, throwing out items that he/she considered to be trash (for example: pieces of paper with the contact information for new friends on the cruise) and handling clothes including underwear. This is 100% unacceptable and a request not to do this should not be necessary.

Yes, the cabin steward is very busy on turn-around day. That is not an excuse to violate your privacy the evening before disembarkation.

I laughed out loud when I read this! Was it on Costa Line? (I sailed several times with them in the early 1980s.) I returned to my cabin after dinner and found my nightgown, which had been hanging on the bathroom door hook, "displayed" on my bed with the waist area narrowed in and the bottom fanned-out fully. I was so embarrassed I hid my nightgown after that! LOL Brought back a memory from my early days of cruising.

I don't exactly recall which ship it was, but it may have been Costa. My first cruise was on Costa and it was my only cruise with them. It was probably in the 70's or 80's. I was a youngster. ;) LOL.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Maybe its something they did, BACK IN THE DAY......(animals out of your night clothes) but we used to have that happen too, but was on Carnival or Royal Carrib.

We all agree Cabin Stewards, (and hotel housekeeping too for that matter),

work very hard. No denying that.

But I agree with all of those who said, DND needs to be honored, Everyday, and Don't go thru my stuff including the last night.

My DH and I are,by our natures,very neat people.

We keep.our cabin picked up and as clutter-free as possible.

I am aware that the stewards ( that's stewards) are extremely busy on Princess lately where the number of cabins they are responsible for has increased over the years.

I wonder if your steward (that's steward) knew my Stewart?

Maybe its something they did, BACK IN THE DAY......(animals out of your night clothes) but we used to have that happen too, but was on Carnival or Royal Carrib.

We all agree Cabin Stewards, (and hotel housekeeping too for that matter),

work very hard. No denying that.

But I agree with all of those who said, DND needs to be honored, Everyday, and Don't go thru my stuff including the last night.

Had a room steward go through my toiletries bag. In front of me. He wanted to prove that it was me who blocked the toilet system by throwing my face wipes into the toilet. How did he know I had them? They were at the bottom of my wash bag?

As I have never put anything other than human waste and toilet paper into a toilet at home or in any hotel or on any cruise ship I was furious by his assumption that he could touch my most personal items. I reported it immediately at the front desk in person, repeated my story to the customer services officer, the deck supervisor, the ship's hotel manager, and even the after cruise survey. We got a new cabin steward but I never got an apology.

Edited by wishfulone

On another note, referring to the steward as Stewart is an old joke. Like having to go to the Mustard drill. All in fun.

Some people think it's funny...

Some people think it's been repeated so many times that it is not...