Captain Albert will be doing updates on Koningsdam

vagporto

Hi all,

Just an heads-up to inform that Captain Albert in his blog ( http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/ ) will be giving updates on the final touches and crew training on Koningsdam.

Thanks for the heads up.:)

His report brought up an interesting thought.... he mentioned "stowaway reports". I hadn't even thought that there might be stowaways on a cruise ship. Hmm.

Edited by Lizzie68

Reading through the lines, today he confirmed mustering will be held indoors (which we all knew already but hey whatever).

I wonder if the Vista/Signature ships will convert to indoor muster like QE and QV as their architecture seems to support either model. I suspect that initially a promenade deck muster was chosen to keep it consistent throughout the fleet as the R/S ships do not have public rooms on the Promenade deck where this would be possible.

Roy

I wonder if the Vista/Signature ships will convert to indoor muster like QE and QV as their architecture seems to support either model. I suspect that initially a promenade deck muster was chosen to keep it consistent throughout the fleet as the R/S ships do not have public rooms on the Promenade deck where this would be possible.

Roy

It'll be interesting to see, indeed. I'd guess not for a while - Captain Albert is responsible for emergency training and he'd I think have to spent expansive time on each of the ships to retrofit it.

I hope it's sooner rather than later though! Does Crystal do indoor musters?

It'll be interesting to see, indeed. I'd guess not for a while - Captain Albert is responsible for emergency training and he'd I think have to spent expansive time on each of the ships to retrofit it.

This is very dependent on ship design and Crystal does it ship by ship. Kind of like the R and S class, Symphony's Promenade deck is all cabins, and doing it in public rooms would require every body to walk up a flight of stairs if muster devolved into abandon ship. On Symphony it's done under the life boats.

Serenity's life boats are recessed into the hull on the deck below the Promenade. There muster is done on the deck with the boats in lounges, and there are direct exits from all the lounges to the boats.

I assume HAL could copy Cunard's plans for muster on the Vista/Signature ships from that of QE/QV although some adaptation would be required. I've never been on the Vista/Signature ships but suspect they could pretty much copy Cunard's plan except where Cunard's Queens Room sits. There would certainly be no rush but once the R&S ships are gone it would be nice to have one muster plan fleet wide.

I also suspect that all Cruise Lines have a Plan B for muster if the primary muster site is untenable, be it a major storm affecting the promenade deck or a fire near one of the lounges where an inside muster is held. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL's plan B is very similar to Cunard's plan A and in that case making the switch would be pretty easy.

Roy

This is very dependent on ship design and Crystal does it ship by ship. Kind of like the R and S class, Symphony's Promenade deck is all cabins, and doing it in public rooms would require every body to walk up a flight of stairs if muster devolved into abandon ship. On Symphony it's done under the life boats.

Serenity's life boats are recessed into the hull on the deck below the Promenade. There muster is done on the deck with the boats in lounges, and there are direct exits from all the lounges to the boats.

I assume HAL could copy Cunard's plans for muster on the Vista/Signature ships from that of QE/QV although some adaptation would be required. I've never been on the Vista/Signature ships but suspect they could pretty much copy Cunard's plan except where Cunard's Queens Room sits. There would certainly be no rush but once the R&S ships are gone it would be nice to have one muster plan fleet wide.

I also suspect that all Cruise Lines have a Plan B for muster if the primary muster site is untenable, be it a major storm affecting the promenade deck or a fire near one of the lounges where an inside muster is held. I wouldn't be surprised if HAL's plan B is very similar to Cunard's plan A and in that case making the switch would be pretty easy.

Roy

Good info, thank you. I assume you are right and they can cyclone GHE Cunard plan easily, the ships are essentially the same as you said.

T

Roy

My last cruise on Rotterdam at drill time the wind was very strong with heavy rain (basically rain coming sideways) and the port side wasn't usable. Port side drill was in the theater. Starboard side was under the lifeboats as usual.

In the theater they allotted a seating area for each lifeboat.

Edited by saatuk

No.....they do an outdoor.

I can't explain it but something about today's update made me excited for February 19.

Roy

It is so nice to see it coming to completion. I love his photos. Talking of which, the info for the photographer area shows the same old system of photos on walls, to be searched through. There are better systems on other cruise lines.

It is so nice to see it coming to completion. I love his photos. Talking of which, the info for the photographer area shows the same old system of photos on walls, to be searched through. There are better systems on other cruise lines.

But if they haven't moved to this system and maybe it's only cost effective to do it fleetwide, it COULD possibly be foolish to change the system and pay a fortune for one ship

The lights in the dining room are beautiful!!

Does anyone know if the former Ryndam crew will make up part of the Koningsdam's crew? Just wondered what happened to all of them---scattered out around the other HAL ships? Or maybe now on the new ship? This has probably been asked and answered somewhere, but if so I missed it. They were THE BEST crew.

He posted a photo today of the main dining room.

Oh man oh man oh man. November can't get here soon enough.

It does looks gorgeous. I find it interesting about the backup system in the event of an engine fire - all a/c and plumbing would continue to function, and this system will go fleet-wide.

It does looks gorgeous. I find it interesting about the backup system in the event of an engine fire - all a/c and plumbing would continue to function, and this system will go fleet-wide.

Me too! I bet he expands on the technical side too, a second bridge and all.