Salmon Bake with a Bear?

paylady

I seem to remember reading a few years ago about a salmon bake where a bear came by to lick the ground around the grill area after everyone was done eating.

Was this at Orca Point Lodge, or somewhere else?

I seem to remember reading a few years ago about a salmon bake where a bear came by to lick the ground around the grill area after everyone was done eating.

Was this at Orca Point Lodge, or somewhere else?

I'm assuming it was part of the entertainment and not just happenstance :eek::D

Yes, we had one at Taku Glacier Lodge salmon bake. Really huge black bear came in

to lick the grill. :eek: They told us the secret ingredient to their delicious grilled salmon

was "bear slobber". :p :p

By far the best excursion we have ever done in Alaska, with the flight seeing trip

in and the landing at the dock in the float plane. Really great salmon bake with

all the extras and fantastic view of the glacier.

That's good to hear. We have that trip booked on our August cruise, the review pictures show the Bears around the grill, we are very much looking forward to the trip. Jean.

Are you doing the Taku Glacier fly in and salmon bake?

Yes we have booked it as the float plane I think fly in and salmon bake. This is our third Alaska cruise but a first for this excursion, so we are both looking forward to it. The walks around the area look super too, it looks great. Jean.

Yes we have booked it as the float plane I think fly in and salmon bake. This is our third Alaska cruise but a first for this excursion, so we are both looking forward to it. The walks around the area look super too, it looks great. Jean.

It is indeed fantastic! The views over the glaciers, etc. were wonderful from the small

plane. Our pilot was a great guide. Soft landing on the lake below the glacier, then step

out onto the dock to enjoy Taku Glacier Lodge property.

Delicious and fresh King Salmon bake with all the traditional sides, and plenty of time to walk around the estate. The view from their front yard is beautiful of the lake and the glacier. Just be careful of the piles of Bear "do-do" all over the yard. :eek:

Would go again in a heartbeat, and is still the best excursion we have ever done in Alaska. :)

Edited by island lady

Thanks so much Island Lady. We read the reviews and saw the photos and knew it would be great. Your review is confirming that we will probably find this our best booked excursion. On a damp miserable day in North East Scotland today makes you wish the cruise can't come soon enough. We are used to rain and cold so Alaksa does not phase us at all. We are organised with the clothing and covering all weather eventualities . Thanks again, Jean.:)

Thanks so much Island Lady. We read the reviews and saw the photos and knew it would be great. Your review is confirming that we will probably find this our best booked excursion. On a damp miserable day in North East Scotland today makes you wish the cruise can't come soon enough. We are used to rain and cold so Alaksa does not phase us at all. We are organised with the clothing and covering all weather eventualities . Thanks again, Jean.:)

You are most welcome! Hopefully you will get lucky, as we did the last time we cruised

Alaska, and have beautiful weather. We had many sunny days which gave us fantastic

views down the inland waterway.

Sorry to hear about your dreary weather. We get the bad weather here in Florida in

the summer. I call it the "Swamp time". Yuck...hot, humid, sticky. Even the Alligators

don't want to come out of the water. :eek: ;)

Have a fantabulous time in Alaska!

This excursion was amazing and the food was very delicious. The host asked about the taste of our iced tea that was chilled with fresh glacier ice from hundreds of years ago.

The king salmon was caught the day before, just 12 miles from the lodge. Every plane seat was a window seat and the chance to get a picture of the scenery as well as your ship in Juneau harbor was great.

As noted above, landing on water is very smooth.

Here are my pictures to get you in the mood:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau/taku-lodge/nggallery/page/2

This excursion was amazing and the food was very delicious. The host asked about the taste of our iced tea that was chilled with fresh glacier ice from hundreds of years ago.

The king salmon was caught the day before, just 12 miles from the lodge. Every plane seat was a window seat and the chance to get a picture of the scenery as well as your ship in Juneau harbor was great.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/juneau/taku-lodge/nggallery/page/2

Thanks for the link and for sharing! Great pictures! Does bring back fond memories,

that is for sure! :)

Hi Crew News your photos are great. What time of year were you there? It has certainly got us more excited about the trip there. Everything at the lodge looks perfect from the views, the walks, the food and the Bears. I am grateful to you for posting your photos, thanks and good wishes, Jean.:)

Hi Crew News your photos are great. What time of year were you there? It has certainly got us more excited about the trip there. Everything at the lodge looks perfect from the views, the walks, the food and the Bears. I am grateful to you for posting your photos, thanks and good wishes, Jean.:)

My Taku Lodge photos were taken the first week of May 2015. We did not see any bears but lots of warm droppings. Although not going to Taku Lodge this May, I will definitely be returning next season for one of my two weeks in Alaska.

We sail from Vancouver August 24th, so I am not sure if that's a good time to see the Bears? We will be delighted seeing all the wildlife and scenery. The last Alaska cruise we took was 2008, so we are so excited about this forthcoming one. :) Jean.

Thanks so much for the pics. [emoji4] We are going late May.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does anyone happen to know how often the flight plane to Taku gets cancelled because of weather? Is there a time of year when it's more or less likely to be cancelled?

Thanks-- and for all the other info and photos as well.

Does anyone happen to know how often the flight plane to Taku gets cancelled because of weather? Is there a time of year when it's more or less likely to be cancelled?

Agree, weather in Alaska is very unpredictable at any time of the year, but

if you have booked the tour and it is canceled due to bad flying weather....

I am sure you will be refunded.

We sail from Vancouver August 24th, so I am not sure if that's a good time to see the Bears? We will be delighted seeing all the wildlife and scenery. The last Alaska cruise we took was 2008, so we are so excited about this forthcoming one. :) Jean.
For cruisers with a Vancouver port.... do check out Grouse Mountain's bear breakfast. Please do not feed the spouse to the bears.

https://www.grousemountain.com/products/breakfast-with-the-bears

[YOUTUBE]RJZcYalXkPg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]XyFPg0DYywk[/YOUTUBE]

I have had one Taku Lodge flight cancelled May 2014 when the winds were very high and last May 2015 the weather was wonderful as was the food.

Edited by Crew News