Early boarding, what do you do with your carry ons?

juanarcin

I've only cruised with Royal Caribbean so this question might not apply to Carnival. I'm wondering what you guys do with your carry on bags when you get on the ship early?

In my past experience (only happened on my last cruise) I got on the ship as soon as I was allowed to without thinking about my backpack I was carrying. I ended up carrying it for a few hours while the staterooms were being prepared. This got old after the first 5 minutes! I wanted to explore the ship and grab a bite, but had to lug around this heavy bag lol

Do you guys just check everything in? or is there a place to drop off bags while you wait?

If you can get Faster to the Fun then once you are on board you can go straight to your room and ditch the carry on.

If not, then you have to lug it around until the time that your cabin is ready. You can always poke your head in and ask if the room steward would mind if you drop off your carry on (if you did not purchase the FTTF). Depending on the Steward and the status of your room they may let you ditch the carry on early.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!!

It's pretty much just like Royal Caribbean. I usually take a backpack for my carry on, but I just keep it light and pack everything non essential in my checked bags. So my carry on usually just has a change of clothes and my tablet.

You could always just pack your carry on in your checked bag right before you give it to the porters as long as there is nothing you need in the next few hours.

I have to have a carry-on for my medicine and jewelry, that's why I love getting FTTF...I have immediate access to my cabin as soon as I board the ship, so I can drop my carry-on off in the cabin and then can go start exploring the ship without having to lug around everything! I can't wait to get on the ship but I know some people wait and go later after the cabins are prepared.

its a carry on.... So carry you shall!

No big deal

Don't blow 60 on FTTF....totally do not need it

Well you may think it's a waste of money however I feel it's worth every penny, just for early access to my cabin. I have a couple ruptured discs in my neck and back so it's difficult for me to carry around luggage, it's just easier to pay for the FTTF and not have to worry about it. I don't drink so the Cheers package would be a waste of money for me cause I'd never get my money's worth out of it. I only paid $50 for FTTF but I've heard some ships have gone up to $60. :p

Well you may think it's a waste of money however I feel it's worth every penny, just for early access to my cabin. I have a couple ruptured discs in my neck and back so it's difficult for me to carry around luggage, it's just easier to pay for the FTTF and not have to worry about it. I don't drink so the Cheers package would be a waste of money for me cause I'd never get my money's worth out of it. I only paid $50 for FTTF but I've heard some ships have gone up to $60. :p

we get the port later and board. the check in line is way less. All cabins are ready..No problem

FTTF price depends on length of cruise... 4 day or less is $50...5+ is $60

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

Before I was platinum, I would just roll my one piece oof 21" luggage around, set it up near a 2 top table in Lido, and carry my shoulder bag with the important stuff in it as I got my lunch ready.

By the time I finished lunch, the cabins were usually open. With just the carry on and a shoulder bag, it was fairly easy to move my stuff around and keep track of it.

Since I've been platinum, I can board, go to my cabin and unpack and shower, and then head to Lido for lunch by noon or so. Since I fly in the morning of the cruise, breakfast is just a faint memory by that time.

Edited by evandbob

Hi there

I agree that if FTTF isn't available or you don't feel the extra cost is of any value, the pick a slightly later check-in time.

If you arrive around 12:30/1:00 p.m., by the time you have a bite to eat, you will be able to go to you cabin and drop off your carry-on. No extra expense and no lugging you bag for hours.

have a great cruise

its a carry on.... So carry you shall!

No big deal

Don't blow 60 on FTTF....totally do not need it

I totally disagree, but we all have our own opinions. I like the shorter line at the port and customer service, boarding earlier so my vacation starts sooner, having immediate access to our cabin to drop our stuff off and getting our luggage quicker. After spending all that money on a vacation, what's another $50 or $60 to make it just a tad nicer?

If you can get Faster to the Fun then once you are on board you can go straight to your room and ditch the carry on.

If not, then you have to lug it around until the time that your cabin is ready. You can always poke your head in and ask if the room steward would mind if you drop off your carry on (if you did not purchase the FTTF). Depending on the Steward and the status of your room they may let you ditch the carry on early.

You should make sure the cabin steward is finished with your room before dropping off your carry on. You wouldn't want to leave anything of value laying around with the door propped open. It's not the cabin steward's responsibility to keep an eye on your stuff while your room is being prepared.

FTTF is sold out already for our cruise in June 2016. So I'm thinking just boarding at 1:30 is the least stressful option.

I totally disagree, but we all have our own opinions. I like the shorter line at the port and customer service, boarding earlier so my vacation starts sooner, having immediate access to our cabin to drop our stuff off and getting our luggage quicker. After spending all that money on a vacation, what's another $50 or $60 to make it just a tad nicer?

some folks have more of a budget and they are not looking to fork over another 60 to cut lines. That's why I say its not really needed.

On our last three cruises the cabins were open at 12:30 so there was no long wait to take our carry-on bag but even if the cabin was opened later it is no big deal. We find a place to hangout for a while, eat and/or swim if the weather allowed.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

Keep checking for FTTF. For my sailing it was sold out at the time of booking. Checked everyday (sometimes several times a day) and all of a sudden it became available and I was able to snatch it right up.

To me it is worth every penny. :-)

some folks have more of a budget and they are not looking to fork over another 60 to cut lines. That's why I say its not really needed.

Oh it's not. ITA with you. And I can afford it and have had it, so this is based on experience. Now granted, people waste money on all kinds of things. I just choose not to feed into the hype anymore and waste money on fttf. OP can arrive a little later and not have much of a wait.

We've always just toted it with us to Lido buffet, found a table to have lunch at. One of us watch the carryon's while the other got food, etc. Usually by the time lunch is over and we have relaxed for a bit from the frenzy and excitement of the morning, the cabin is ready!

Luckily on both my Carnival cruises the room has been ready when I boarded, without FTTF. But regardless I would head to the room and just toss my carry on in the closet and leave immediately.

Unless you are platinum or diamond or purchased FTTF, going to your cabin prior to them being ready is against the rules. When lots of people attempt doing this, it holds up the entire process of getting the cabins ready for the new arrivals.

Clogging the hallways is not suggested. Nor is leaving your luggage unattended and insecure. If you wouldn't leave your bag in Lido unattended, why would you do the same in your cabin with the door open?

Haven't cruised Carnival in awhile, but on other ships the hallway entrances to rows of cabins have been locked so one couldn't put a carryon in his cabin. Even if I could though, I'd be too worried about it being there with the door open.

We usually take one lightweight "pocketbook" and a SMALL "carry-on" with wheels for pills and other things that we would not want in our checked luggage. Very easy to tote around ship.

Our plan is usually to tour the ship from top to bottom when we embark and then head for pool area if weather is nice and eat from grill while waiting for cabins to be ready to avoid the buffet crowds.

If weather isn't good, we head for somewhere else that is open for lunch other than the buffet.

I remember being on a cruiseline (NCL?) which let us drop off our carry-on if we wanted to when we embarked and pick them up in that area later. Seemed to be more work than just pulling the carryon along with us.

Thank you all for your input and ideas! FTTF sounds like a perfect option that I hadn't heard of. I tried adding it to my cruise but it turns out that it's not offered in Europe. I'll be on a Mediterranean cruise, so that's disappointing.

Either way I guess a little planning will help make sure I don't have too much to carry and should make things easier. I want to board as soon as possible because I have a 10 day cruise with only 1 sea day! So not much time to get to know the ship once it has sailed. On top of that I will be on the Vista! So it being a new ship and all, I definitely want to explore and see everything Carnival has to offer. Very excited!