Passport Renewal

planobob

My renewal in January was that fast as well.

Dennis

Those getting new or renewed passports should also consider spending the extra bucks and applying for Global Entry - you need a personal interview, but we think it will be worth the extra time and expense.

Those getting new or renewed passports should also consider spending the extra bucks and applying for Global Entry - you need a personal interview, but we think it will be worth the extra time and expense.

That's great turnaround. I would second the global access.

Renewal application mailed on 2/22/16. New passport received today, 3/11/16.

Bob

Congratulations! Hope you have many days of cruising ahead!.

Also, check you signature. You are missing a bracket at the beginning of your image tag. It should start [img

NBC news was talking tonight about the very long lines at TSA due to spring break time and lack of officers courtesy of budget cuts by our friends the politicians. My last trip, 10 days ago, Chicago Midway walking off the plane to luggage area went past the VERY VERY long TSA lines snaking all the way almost to the street (it was Thursday 5PM). We made a note to leave plenty of time on the way back. Sat. morning 11 AM no line. Sat. noon -- line out to the street again.

This was our first time with the GOES card -- it was just fabulous! Only saw one other in the dedicated line. I hear tell when leaving a ship at the end of the cruise you will also have a dedicated line. Hope so let you know after the next cruise in July. Also anxious to see if there is a benefit to the card when passing through borders of Europe/Canada.

Just to clarify your post: I thought The Global Entry is only good for Psgrs flying in & out of some airports.. Anyone who is not flying does not need a global entry..

Notice that you are from Florida.. Am I correct in assuming that you do not fly in & out of Ft. Lauderdale & would have no use for a global entry.. Or is it something which can be used for Port arrival too?

If they had something like this for port arrivals, I would spend the extra $$$ just to clear faster..

Many years ago, when we arrived from the Bahamas on our private sailboat, all we had to do was call Customs & Border Protection to give them the passport No's of the entire crew & advise if we had anything to declare.. Fantastic service & we were cleared in 10minutes..

It takes much longer to clear customs on arrival in Port when you are cruising...

Edited by serendipity1499

I renewed my passport in February and I had it back in just under three weeks. I was in no hurry so did not ask for expedited service or overnight mail. I was well pleased how seamlessly and easily it was handled.

Edited by sail7seas

Now that you post this message, it reminds me when we renewed our last passports which was 9 1/2 years ago, there was a flood of people getting passports and I made a mental note to self....... renew early when it is time. I forgot the mental note but am happy I didn't forget to renew. :)

I live in London Ontario and we can get a passport renewal done in 10-14 days. We also have nexus and it helps at airports and our recent cruise returning from Fort Lauderdale at our debarkation at the cruise terminal. Avoided long lines. Only one couple ahead of us.

Global Entry qualifies you for TSA pre-check line for all domestic flights where one exists. Not to mention the speedy processing in qualified international airports (Amsterdam among them). We've found it worth the expense and the drive to the screening interview. Living near a border, the drive to Port Huron was only about an hour each way.

Even with the pre-check, if you have a knee or hip replacement, at times it takes a bit longer as you need to get to a scanner. I don't miss taking off shoes or having to deal with the 3-1-1 rule, either!

Edited by Nanner

Just to clarify your post: I thought The Global Entry is only good for Psgrs flying in & out of some airports.. Anyone who is not flying does not need a global entry..

Notice that you are from Florida.. Am I correct in assuming that you do not fly in & out of Ft. Lauderdale & would have no use for a global entry.. Or is it something which can be used for Port arrival too?

If they had something like this for port arrivals, I would spend the extra $$$ just to clear faster..

Many years ago, when we arrived from the Bahamas on our private sailboat, all we had to do was call Customs & Border Protection to give them the passport No's of the entire crew & advise if we had anything to declare.. Fantastic service & we were cleared in 10minutes..

It takes much longer to clear customs on arrival in Port when you are cruising...

In February we used Global Entry when we disembarked in Port Everglades; we were directed to the "Special Assistance" lane and there were just a handful of people ahead of us whilst the regular line was long already (we were doing self disembarkation).

In February we used Global Entry when we disembarked in Port Everglades; we were directed to the "Special Assistance" lane and there were just a handful of people ahead of us whilst the regular line was long already (we were doing self disembarkation).

Interesting.. Thanks Peter...If we decide to book another cruise we'll think about applying for Global Entry..

Interesting.. Thanks Peter...If we decide to book another cruise we'll think about applying for Global Entry..

Bring your GEOS or NEXUS card if you are cruising out of Port Everglades terminal 2 or 18. Line is to the right of the mazes and much faster. And as others noted it gets you into the TSA Precheck line at airports that have them. Catch with those is your airline must participate and your trusted traveler number must be on file for that ticket with the airline (either in your account or added when you buy your ticket.

At least we have a few years before we need to renew passports. Took us three months to get the interview after applying for the GOES card.