Harmony of the Seas sets sail

Sailing with a bigger help desk?

The world's largest cruise liner ever built has set sail on it's shake down voyage in preparation for her inaugural passenger voyage.

At 227700 tonnes and 1187 feet in length, it has 2394 crew to serve 6400 passengers.

Having sailed on the 41 day inaugural cruise on the Quantum of the Seas, I am most interested to know if the guest services counter has a desk bigger than accommodating two people to serve this amount of passengers?

Of course the Quantum had extended service even at midnight when you could see only ten passenger queued up for help.

But don't also let us forget that officers from the inner sanctum behind the desk helped by servicing people standing in the long queues.

harmony-of-the-seas.jpg.7a8e1d1c4142296e5fcc2ce4a6ce4230.jpg

209404251_harmonyoftheseas2.jpg.f319930bfc89a32cf9c89ecc5c8ffa4d.jpg

It's just that there seems to be an adverse proportion of service to passengers in relation to the growing size of ships.

When we sailed on the brand new Quantum for her 41 day repositioning cruise to China from New York, the help desk was a quarter the size for 4200 passengers than is normal on other ships for just half that many.

On Princess ships they even have one or two at the desk just to cater for the Elite level passengers, plus four more for the others.

I wonder how big the help desk will be for 6400 passengers?

It's just that there seems to be an adverse proportion of service to passengers in relation to the growing size of ships.

When we sailed on the brand new Quantum for her 41 day repositioning cruise to China from New York, the help desk was a quarter the size for 4200 passengers than is normal on other ships for just half that many.

On Princess ships they even have one or two at the desk just to cater for the Elite level passengers, plus four more for the others.

I wonder how big the help desk will be for 6400 passengers?

I had read a similar comment before and so I decided to see if I could quantify this theory.

To avoid duplication of my previous post, if you're bored or curious about what I found, I've posted it in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327364

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Overtyme

I just like the headline..."We're Going to Need a Bigger Sea!" : http://news.yahoo.com/we-are-going-to-need-a-bigger-sea-worlds-100957371.html

Thanks so much for this link....but straining my eyes to see the Abyss...and the relation to those Boardwalk Balcony views....Looking forward to those pics from those that board her first....But this is exciting...We wont't be on her until March 2017 :D

but straining my eyes to see the Abyss...and the relation to those Boardwalk Balcony views....:D

We've never been on an Oasis class ship. Do you think the Abyss slide is that weird tube behind the Aquatheater?

Edited by Coralc

We've never been on an Oasis class ship. Do you think the Abyss slide is that weird tube behind the Aquatheater?

We've been on Oasis (amazing)...of course the Abyss feature is new for the HOTS...and thought it was to be in front (or what I consider the front :confused:) of the Aquatheater near the aft Boardwalk cabins (I guess in reality it is the back)....I can't see much from the pic so maybe your eyes are better than mine :D We have the last 4 cabins on deck #9 starboardside.

Edited by Ashland

Overtyme, the most important line in your comprehensive post is........

"

The devil may be in the details, which I don't have access to, which would include the break-down by roles within the number of staff.

My post is specifically about the help desk staff, which on the Quantum were very inadequate.

I wonder at the staff amount who will be applied to the Harmony?

Overtyme, the most important line in your comprehensive post is........

"

The devil may be in the details, which I don't have access to, which would include the break-down by roles within the number of staff.

My post is specifically about the help desk staff, which on the Quantum were very inadequate.

I wonder how the staffing levels compare to other Oasis Class ships.

I'm guessing they're the same.

Never saw an issue with guest services on Allure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for this link....but straining my eyes to see the Abyss...and the relation to those Boardwalk Balcony views....Looking forward to those pics from those that board her first....But this is exciting...We wont't be on her until March 2017 :D

Here is the link to the video of the sea trials.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2327886

Abyss is not there yet....so it isn't your eyes!!!;)

Edited by little britain

Now that's a funny headline :D:D:D
And as usual one of our mainstream 'respected' newspapers gets it wrong and loves nothing more than sensational headlines. You should have read the outcry on social media by those who've never sailed RCI nevermind Oasis!

One of the best things about rci is that they don't come to your house and force you to book a cruise on one of their ships with little tiny help desk:rolleyes:

And as usual one of our mainstream 'respected' newspapers gets it wrong and loves nothing more than sensational headlines. You should have read the outcry on social media by those who've never sailed RCI nevermind Oasis!

ITA Pete -- I was appalled at some of the comments left on the DM 'click bait' comes to mind!

One of the best things about rci is that they don't come to your house and force you to book a cruise on one of their ships with little tiny help desk:rolleyes:

No, but Cunard, P&O and Princess do. I have had to put a sign out front of the house saying NO SHIPPING AGENTS.

Hey, By the way, you sound like a nice person. :)