Be Careful Booking Air Through Norwegian

Lovex4

We have never before booked airfare through Norwegian but did this last time for our upcoming cruise. Just like the cruise our airfare price was set when we booked.

We were told that we could not select our seat assignments until 60 days before our cruise. So, on the 60th day I went on the computer to select our seats and that's where we had a problem... The only way my wife and I could sit together would be to upgrade our seats at the cost of $67 per person per flight. All available seats were singles scattered around the planes. Round trip this is an additional cost of $536.

If you book air through Norwegian, please be aware of this. They will get you to the port as promised for the price they quote but don't necessarily think your party will be able to sit together. This may not be an issue for some. Just an FYI.

Unfortunately that's the case with most cruise line air programs.

Keith

I just booked our air with HAL and we were able to choose seats when we booked. Our flight is in November with Westjet and we did not pay extra to pick our seats in economy. We have also booked our air with Celebrity many times and and we had seat selection at time of booking.

I booked air through NCL twice and it was all good. The first time was Boston to L.A., same day flight. I asked for a nonstop, and they arranged it for me.

Next was Boston to Honolulu, two days early, also booking hotels pre & post cruise. They did well with this one also.

I really took a chance with a same day flight for the L.A. cruise, but I had no choice due to work schedules.

We have never before booked airfare through Norwegian but did this last time for our upcoming cruise. Just like the cruise our airfare price was set when we booked.

We were told that we could not select our seat assignments until 60 days before our cruise. So, on the 60th day I went on the computer to select our seats and that's where we had a problem... The only way my wife and I could sit together would be to upgrade our seats at the cost of $67 per person per flight. All available seats were singles scattered around the planes. Round trip this is an additional cost of $536.

If you book air through Norwegian, please be aware of this. They will get you to the port as promised for the price they quote but don't necessarily think your party will be able to sit together. This may not be an issue for some. Just an FYI.

Too bad you did not ask for advice here before you booked this. Most everything I've seen here in response to questions say that you can do much better booking cruise and individual components like airfare seperately on your own. I did see someone say recently that NCL beat other prices, but, they were booking really late.

Maybe I can't do math this morning, but you said seat selection fee was $67 pp per flight. For two people, this is $134 one way and $268 roundtrip. You quoted $536 which is double. Is another couple traveling with you and your wife? Is this seat selection fee info divulged somewhere in the fine print before you book? It would make price comparison difficult and misleading without it.

Edited by punkincc

Do you have the airline confirmation number/record locator? If so, just log on to the airline's website every few days and check for empty seats. Seating rarely stays the same over time, especially a few days out from departure, when frequent flyers begin to get upgraded.

If that doesn't work, tell the airline when you check in at the airport. Most airlines will try to work something out to put couples together.

I've booked my air with NCL for years and have never had a problem. The seating on the airline really has nothing to do with NCL. I think you are blaming them because you only get your flight arrangements 60 days ahead of your cruise. But, that's unfair.

As someone suggested keeping looking up your airline in the event seating arrangements are available. At any rate enjoy your holiday!

happytotravel

Too bad you did not ask for advice here before you booked this. Most everything I've seen here in response to questions say that you can do much better booking cruise and individual components like airfare seperately on your own. I did see someone say recently that NCL beat other prices, but, they were booking really late.

Maybe I can't do math this morning, but you said seat selection fee was $67 pp per flight. For two people, this is $134 one way and $268 roundtrip. You quoted $536 which is double. Is another couple traveling with you and your wife? Is this seat selection fee info divulged somewhere in the fine print before you book? It would make price comparison difficult and misleading without it.

They have a layover, 2 planes to get there x2 people, two planes x 2 back... 67 times 8 flights is 536.

Wait until you get to the airport, approach the gate agent, and very nicely ask if they can help find you two seats together. 99% of gate agents (when asked nicely and respectfully) will work with you to get two seats together. Easy Peasy. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

They have a layover, 2 planes to get there x2 people, two planes x 2 back... 67 times 8 flights is 536.

Ah, I get it now. All the more reason to be in control of your own flight times and itineraries. But, Hawaii is worth all the hassle. Hope you have a great cruise.

Wait until you get to the airport, approach the gate agent, and very nicely ask if they can help find you two seats together. 99% of gate agents (when asked nicely and respectfully) will work with you to get two seats together. Easy Peasy. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

Will this work even for airlines who have the fee requirement for choosing your own seat? If so, I'd be darned if I would pay that $536 fee. In fact, I think I could fly the entire route sitting by myself if necessary to avoid it. It might even be a little more restful!;).

Will this work even for airlines who have the fee requirement for choosing your own seat? If so, I'd be darned if I would pay that $536 fee. In fact, I think I could fly the entire route sitting by myself if necessary to avoid it. It might even be a little more restful!;).

I am not sure if airlines like Spirit would do it, I would not be caught dead on one of their planes. But, I like you, would never pay for an assigned seat. And you are totally correct, sometimes alone is much more restful! May be for the return flights keep those apart haha.

While I realize it is ideal to sit together especially if it is a long flight, you're going to be together on the vacation. I would rather sit by myself than spend an extra $500 to sit together. I have better things to spend that $500 on! :)

Edited by cml4958
  • Like 1

OP is your flight with Delta? Just wondering because I recently helped some friends book their air through Celebrity's ChoiceAir program to fly down from Ohio and meet us for a Celebrity cruise from Ft Lauderdale and also ran into this same problem.

Apparently Delta has a newer program in some markets called "Basic Economy". The terms are:

BASIC ECONOMY COMES WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS:

No seat assignment is available until after check-in

Refunds and ticket changes are not permitted

Same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes are not permitted

Zone 3 boarding priority, except for Medallion® members and other Priority Boarding-eligible customers

Priority Boarding not available for purchase

No paid or complimentary upgrade to Delta One™, First Class, Business Class, Delta Comfort+™, or Preferred Seat

Terms apply to all customers including but not limited to Medallion® members and SkyTeam® elites

Delta explains it as:

If you’re looking for a low fare, your travel plans aren’t likely to change, and you don’t mind where you sit, Basic Economy just may be your ticket. With Basic Economy, you’ll find low fares while still enjoying access to our premier onboard experience, including Wi-Fi, free personal video entertainment with Delta Studio™, complimentary snacks and award-winning service. This fare option includes no ticket changes, Main Cabin seat assignments after check-in, pending availability and limited Medallion® benefits.

Currently, Basic Economy is only available in select markets, but look out for it on more flights soon. More flexibility including the ability to select an available Main Cabin seat at booking is available with the Main Cabin product.

For my friends flights from CVG to FLL they would have had to pay an additional $52pp per flight to be able to pick their seats (they didn't):

MAIN CABIN.

You can select your seat while booking and you'll have options if plans change.

$52 00pp

Of course the cruiselines are going to go for the lowest price fare, so when the airline starts expanding this program this is probably going to happen to many more cruisers in the future.

At least it's good to know ahead of time to be able to check this when booking air!

Edited by SeaHunt

I am not sure if airlines like Spirit would do it, I would not be caught dead on one of their planes. But, I like you, would never pay for an assigned seat. And you are totally correct, sometimes alone is much more restful! May be for the return flights keep those apart haha.

Fly Spirit 90% of the time! Only 1 minor issue , that was resolved by calling customer service, in approx 15 RT flights.

Yes it is no frills with extra fees, but even with paying for 1 suitcase RT still less expensive than other airlines.

To the OP always try to control your flights. And yes I would just sit apart rather than pay extra or look for a single person sitting by spouse.

There were 2 legs each way...

OP is your flight with Delta? Just wondering because I recently helped some friends book their air through Celebrity's ChoiceAir program to fly down from Ohio and meet us for a Celebrity cruise from Ft Lauderdale and also ran into this same problem.

Apparently Delta has a newer program in some markets called "Basic Economy". The terms are:

BASIC ECONOMY COMES WITH THESE RESTRICTIONS:

No seat assignment is available until after check-in

Refunds and ticket changes are not permitted

Same-day confirmed or same-day standby travel changes are not permitted

Zone 3 boarding priority, except for Medallion® members and other Priority Boarding-eligible customers

Priority Boarding not available for purchase

No paid or complimentary upgrade to Delta One™, First Class, Business Class, Delta Comfort+™, or Preferred Seat

Terms apply to all customers including but not limited to Medallion® members and SkyTeam® elites

Delta explains it as:

If you’re looking for a low fare, your travel plans aren’t likely to change, and you don’t mind where you sit, Basic Economy just may be your ticket. With Basic Economy, you’ll find low fares while still enjoying access to our premier onboard experience, including Wi-Fi, free personal video entertainment with Delta Studio™, complimentary snacks and award-winning service. This fare option includes no ticket changes, Main Cabin seat assignments after check-in, pending availability and limited Medallion® benefits.

Currently, Basic Economy is only available in select markets, but look out for it on more flights soon. More flexibility including the ability to select an available Main Cabin seat at booking is available with the Main Cabin product.

For my friends flights from CVG to FLL they would have had to pay an additional $52pp per flight to be able to pick their seats (they didn't):

MAIN CABIN.

You can select your seat while booking and you'll have options if plans change.

$52 00pp

Of course the cruiselines are going to go for the lowest price fare, so when the airline starts expanding this program this is probably going to happen to many more cruisers in the future.

At least it's good to know ahead of time to be able to check this when booking air!

We have American Airlines...

Happened to us once and now we know to watch for this "revenue enhancer" for the airlines. We flew Air Canada and they had an up charge to choose your seat, I think it was $29.00. Closer to the flight date the price dropped to $15.00 per seat and we said we could sit alone. We ended up seated together at the airlines discretion BUT will not choose that airline again. This is just another "gotcha" in airline travel. Remember when airline travel an elite way to travel? People in dresses and suits? Now you pray that they took a shower, have on clean clothes and didn't bring the tuna sandwich from home for a 6 hours flight. Truly why planes are called Air buses.

We have American Airlines...

I read an article today with more about the fee for choosing your seats. Looks like you will have to be careful on Delta, United and American (for now) - well, at least if you care about sitting with your traveling companions ;):

Airlines have long seen profitability in investing heavily in first- and business-class while degrading the flying experience in coach to cut costs. But why stop there? Coach, they have discovered, can itself be subdivided, and then subdivided again. First there was the creation of premium economy, which charges passengers extra for what used to be a standard amount of legroom, and for the exit-row seats that were previously the dominion of in-the-know flyers. Now there is a new class, a cut below standard economy. Please welcome “basic economy”, known to some as “last class”.

Delta was the first big airline to introduce basic economy, and it refined it last year as one of its five fare classes. Now United and American have both announced that they will be debuting their versions of basic economy later this year.

So what is basic economy? For frugal travellers, it’s shorthand for giving up some of the few remaining comforts of flying economy. The biggest sacrifice is losing the ability to reserve a seat when booking a flight (so be prepared for a middle seat in the back row). If you are travelling with family or colleagues, forget about sitting together. Passengers flying basic economy also forfeit their right to upgrade their seats and to change or cancel their reservations more than 24 hours after booking.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/02/bottom-class?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/bottomoftheclassamericasairlinesareintroducingaclassbeloweconomy

Guess I was out of the loop when it came to the cruise line air departments using this class, but it looks like NCL did it to the OP (American) and Celebrity ChoiceAir on my friends flights (Delta).

Just a friendly warning to others to be aware (if seating matters to you). :)

Guess I was out of the loop when it came to the cruise line air departments using this class, but it looks like NCL did it to the OP (American) and Celebrity ChoiceAir on my friends flights (Delta).

Just a friendly warning to others to be aware (if seating matters to you). :)

No, not to the OP, American doesn't have it yet. What it did do is on AA if you have no status, the free seats are the rear half of the plane. There may no longer be two seats together in that section depending on the popularity of the flight or the flight is already oversold, which then would show no available seats. As of now, AA always lets you select a seat if one is available with the exception of the above oversold situation.

Two separate flights each way per person would be 8 flights to give the right cost.

Mike

1) Booking air on your own is almost always much cheaper than booking via NCL.

2) Even with a pre-seleted seat, you are not 100% guaranteed that seat. This is disclosed in all airline contracts. The earlier you book the higher the chance of a change happening actually. Flights change and sometimes planet type as well. Even with a paid seat you are not 100 guaranteed the seat you paid for.

3) If all else fails, when you board the plane talk to the passengers next to you to see if any of them would be willing to swap seats with your traveling companion.

4) Go on your cruise and have a good time!