Another Attack in Turkey

Well another terroroist attack in Turkey!!!!!!!

I guess our Eurodam cruise on May 6 is looking less likely to stop at Istanbul & Ephesus.

I hope HAL gives us a good indication quickly whether they will continue with Turkey ports or advises of any changes to our itinerary.

It would be a disappointment not to go to Turkey, but I can live with it, as safety should always be the prime driver for port changes.

Chris

Yes, Ankara. I don't know that the geographical location of one city vs another will be a deciding factor as to whether to port call or not. Maybe it will but we'll have to wait and see.

So sad to see this. I loved Turkey and so glad I got to go in 2013. Area around Ephesus was beautiful and still rather rural and safe, so maybe that port can be saved. Istanbul? Time will tell.

Truly heartbreaking. We visited Kusadasi last September, and were fortunate to have a wonderful tour of Ephesus and the village of Sirince. We had a private tour there, and have since communicated with our guide. I heard from her just today, asking that we share our positive experiences with our friends, as tourism is already being hurt by the cancellations by the cruise industry. :(

Had thought of booking the. Eurodam for late August going to Turkey.I. Asked here whether or not we would actually go to Turkey ...Istanbul or would Cruise line cancel ....well loandbehold another terrorist attack probably sealed that fate

I doubt anyone will go to Turkey now ...howver if this ship were to go to Malta or other Croatian ports .i might reconsider ...I did want to see Venice as well

But I think Lesbos will be another problem ...coud Crete be a good alternative .?

It remains to be seen what HAL will do. Early information is suggesting the attack isn't linked to ISIS but to the ongoing political struggles between the Turks and Kurds. Tourists were not targeted. And attacks have occurred in Ankara many times before without cancellation of the ports on Turkey's western coast. (Ankara is about a 5-hour drive by car from Istanbul, to give an idea of its location.)

It remains to be seen what HAL will do. Early information is suggesting the attack isn't linked to ISIS but to the ongoing political struggles between the Turks and Kurds. Tourists were not targeted. And attacks have occurred in Ankara many times before without cancellation of the ports on Turkey's western coast. (Ankara is about a 5-hour drive by car from Istanbul, to give an idea of its location.)

True - but any significant unrest in a country - especially involving violence - will likely result in a line's rethinking itineraries.

Does it make all that much difference who was responsible for the attack in terms of cruise lines making choices about cancelling ports?

Does it make all that much difference who was responsible for the attack in terms of cruise lines making choices about cancelling ports?

I maybe wrong but I don't believe thr Kurds have ever struck out at the tourists.

These threads always puzzle me as attacks occur almost daily in Isreal. A recent one involved a tourist yet no one stops going there.

Actually I think it does. Factors will be location, targets, type of attack, etc. Since the conflict between the Turks and Kurds is not particularly new nor near or involving major tourist spots the cruise lines may not cancel ports in Turkey. I think cruise lines also pay attention to the warnings and cautions coming out of the various foreign/state departments of countries so they'll be watching those.

Edited by Randyk47

Actually I think it does. Factors will be location, targets, type of attack, etc. Since the conflict between the Turks and Kurds is not particularly new nor near or involving major tourist spots the cruise lines may not cancel ports in Turkey. I think cruise lines also pay attention to the warnings and cautions coming out of the various foreign/state departments of countries so they'll be watching those.

I agree, here is what our Australian Government is posting re travel to Turkey:

http://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/turkey#modal-country

http://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/turkey#

Thought provoking actually

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always think the Australian government is like my mother-in-law; would like us to spend our lives safely at home in front of the TV and away from all danger. Not to trivialise the impact of the latest attack. I just love Turkey and it is awful seeing these things happen.

In 2011 our cruise itinerary was changed twice as it was to Egypt and Israel as well as four Turkish ports, one being Iskenderun very close to the Syrian border. We were amazed when we actually did get to all the original ports.

Two of our best ever travel experiences are from Turkey; having a hot air balloon ride in Cappadoccia and attending the Anzac Day services at Gallipolli.

I really hope things settle down there.

Ugh!!!! Leaving on the Oosterdam April 18th. So far so good for our stop in Ephesus. Just holding my breath every time I check my email.

I hope you do. The stop in Kusadasi and the visit to Ephesus is one of the "not to miss" stops. We've been there three times in four years and love the Ephesus tours and enjoy the port city.

Assuming no big change in the situation, the odds of a terrorist attack harming me during a few port stops in Turkey this fall are too small to worry about. I will cancel my cruise if I think Holland America will cancel the Turkish ports, not that HAL would make the announcement before final payment. HAL's decision will be affected by how timid my fellow cruisers are.

I would hope they would make any announcement of deletions/changes before final payment, or at least give passengers the option of cancelling without any penalty. We have a b2b with 6 stops in Turkey (one of which is an overnight in Istanbul) in the fall, plus Black Sea stops, plus stops in Israel. I can't imagine what the cruise would be without them! Greek Isles? And changes late in the day would make for difficulties finding new ports.

I maybe wrong but I don't believe thr Kurds have ever struck out at the tourists.

These threads always puzzle me as attacks occur almost daily in Isreal. A recent one involved a tourist yet no one stops going there.

Quoting for truth about the Kurds, the Kurds have consistently only attacked their oppressors. Considering the treatment the Kurds have rec'd for years by the Turkish gov't, their restraint is admirable as Turkey's handling of its citizens is best termed "Stalin-esque".

Don't believe me? Look at the operations Turkey is carrying out and claiming they're assisting the war on ISIS but in truth are attacking Kurds (who also are resisting ISIS).

I'm not so sure all the North American travelers who might cruise that region actually know who attacks tourists....... Kurds ? ISIS ? The traveler who might/will cancel a visit there do not necessarily differentiate.

There are a great many European itineraries available that do not include Turkey, if passengers do not wish to travel there.

I would suggest the ship's reasons for cancellation would likely revolve more around whether there is a significant risk to the safety of passengers and ship.