What to do in Roatan and Belize

Beachgirl2016

Hi leaving on Norwegian Dawn on Sunday and am trying to figure out what to do in Roatan and Belize. Anyone get off the ship and grab a cab and do your own tours there? Roatan I know we want to see the country, monkeys and snorkel. There was one excursion that included a boat ride and covered those things. Belize - snorkel and?? I see so many tour companies I'm getting confused. I'm Cozumel I just have gotten off the ship and went on my own but unsure of these places. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm asking... Costa maya? Ideas? I'm traveling with 2 adults and 5 kids ages 8-14. Thank you!!!

Hi leaving on Norwegian Dawn on Sunday and am trying to figure out what to do in Roatan and Belize. Anyone get off the ship and grab a cab and do your own tours there? Roatan I know we want to see the country, monkeys and snorkel. There was one excursion that included a boat ride and covered those things. Belize - snorkel and?? I see so many tour companies I'm getting confused. I'm Cozumel I just have gotten off the ship and went on my own but unsure of these places. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

While I'm asking... Costa maya? Ideas? I'm traveling with 2 adults and 5 kids ages 8-14. Thank you!!!

Theris Dixon Tours in Roatan. Make your own private tour with her.

Great snorkelling at west bay and beautiful beach. Some of the cruise companies have private "resorts" there I was told when visiting.

Where in Belize do you dock, there is great snorkelling in Belize but you generally need to take a boat trip away from the islands/coastline to see it. Caye Caulker is a really cute little island a boat ride away from Belize city

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Please read the article at the following link:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/03/articles/crime/travel-crime-warning-tourists-assaulted-robbed-terrorized-in-roatan-honduras/

When we were in Belize a couple of weeks ago we went cave tubing with V.I.V. Tours. I know my kids would have loved it. You are able to hike a bit through the rainforest before getting on the river. It was not a strenuous hike and the tour company arranges for your tubes to be waiting for you at the top, unlike many others. We were on the tour with one other couple who decided to also go ziplining. This was one of the highlights of our trip, along with the food tour in Cozumel.

We booked our Belize cave tubing through ShoreTrips (sent to me by my travel agent) but I think you can also book it directly. Hope this helps.

That is a couple of years old, but I would agree some caution. Honduras is a dangerous place, my wife and I were robbed at gunpoint on the mainland. Events on Roatan are much less but more people have been moving there from the mainland chasing the economy.

I am guessing by the sounds of it that event happened on one of the deserted beached we were warned not to go there. That is why I recommend west bay, it's a popular tourist place but with the most beautiful beach and snorkelling. Either get a cab there or go to west end (another popular tourist place) and take the boat round to west bay

Note that Belize is a tendered port. You use boats ("tenders") to take you between ship and shore. This can take a while. Usually those with ship-sponsored excursions get the first tenders.

Edited by Jimnbigd

The other year I did both those stops. Belize we did cave tubing and zip lining. I'd recommend doing only the cave tubing. Zip lining added too much time and they rushed us thru the tubing. Would have rather strolled and learned more about the area. In Roaton we went to Little French Key. OMG my favorite stop. A bit pricey, but you get food, drinks and some of the water toys to play with. So pretty too! They even, for an additional cost/tips, have horseback riding, monkeys you can hold, and I didn't find out til too late but you can swim with a jaguar.

That is a couple of years old, but I would agree some caution. Honduras is a dangerous place, my wife and I were robbed at gunpoint on the mainland. Events on Roatan are much less but more people have been moving there from the mainland chasing the economy.

I am guessing by the sounds of it that event happened on one of the deserted beached we were warned not to go there. That is why I recommend west bay, it's a popular tourist place but with the most beautiful beach and snorkelling. Either get a cab there or go to west end (another popular tourist place) and take the boat round to west bay

U.S. Consulate Excerpt:

"If you are traveling on a cruise ship, you should take safety precautions, avoid unfamiliar areas, and take care to book only with reputable tour companies during your stopover in Honduras. Cruise lines and port agencies work with approved tour companies to offer packages. The port agencies at Mahogany Bay and Towne Center have worked to improve taxi service to and from the ports. The vast majority of cruise line passengers in Honduras experience no problems, but incidents of armed robbery and carjacking have been reported."

Full Consulate Warning Link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/honduras-travel-warning.html

U.S. Consulate Excerpt:

"If you are traveling on a cruise ship, you should take safety precautions, avoid unfamiliar areas, and take care to book only with reputable tour companies during your stopover in Honduras. Cruise lines and port agencies work with approved tour companies to offer packages. The port agencies at Mahogany Bay and Towne Center have worked to improve taxi service to and from the ports. The vast majority of cruise line passengers in Honduras experience no problems, but incidents of armed robbery and carjacking have been reported."

Full Consulate Warning Link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/alertswarnings/honduras-travel-warning.html

Go look at a number of other cruise ports and you will see similar warnings.

I agree people need to remember they are in a foreign country and things are not the same as home, but again this applies to many ports.

Bottom line, pay attention to your surroundings, don't go off the beaten path, use a reputable guide, etc. No need to pick on Roatan in particular.

To the OP, enjoy your cruise and days in both Roatan and Belize. We pre-arranged tours, recommended on the ports of call board, in both ports and had great, safe days. Don't let some posters get to you, but yes do be aware and you too will have a wonderful time.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Imagine if I didn't go to a USA port because of a 2 year old news report of a gun crime.

As I said I have been a victim of gun crime in Honduras so I definitely wasn't recommending the op just go self exploring, I recommended visiting the tourist havens.

You can contact Daniel Johnson. He gives great excursions in Roatan. He's like 5th generation Honduran. He has a Monkey/Sloth refuge that he gives tours of. Very interactive and you can play and hold the Monkeys/Sloths. He can also help with snorkeling etc. His email is dandan_johnson@yahoo.com. Email him and he can give you quotes. VERY reasonable and personable! Tell him Jim and John referred you. We just got back from there last week. I have pics if your interested.

There were two armed robberies of cruise passengers last week in Belize. Apparently they were not CC members, and there were no CC members on the one organized tour. One was a couple from a Royal Caribbean ship. EM

There were two armed robberies of cruise passengers last week in Belize. Apparently they were not CC members, and there were no CC members on the one organized tour. One was a couple from a Royal Caribbean ship. EM

How unfortunate, in Belize city? It was not a very appealing place, other parts of Belize are great

We have done this itinerary a few times and these are our favorites:

Roatan - Radical Catamaran Adventures : You can find them on Trip Advisor. Top notch couple run this operation. We had a wonderful day including pick up and drop off at port, snorkeling, a wonderful lunch, begerages and sailing. Great service and a super fun day.

Roatan - Victor Bodden Tours : Driver for the day. I highly recommend Frankie. We have made such stops for monkeys, ziplining, beach time, snorkeling, grocery store etc.... We like Eldon's for coffee and vanilla as well as fun local candy for our kids souvenirs.

Belize - VIV Tours for cave tubing. Wonderful operation and great people. We had an amazing time.

Belize - Do not use - Coral Breeze - Snorkel/Shark Ray Alley/Caye Caulker. The boats were crowded and check in was disorganized and slow. For as long as they have been doing this, it should be much better/faster. Also, had to chase after the snorkel guide ( who we were compelled to stay with) while trying not to get kicked by the other snorkelers in our group. Couldn't see a thing if you stayed with the group due to all the bubbles. Some education would have helped perhaps reduce these problems, but the guide was trying to cover too much area in too little time so it was not enjoyable. We are experienced snorkelers, actually getting dive certified this year. We were miserable. They supposedly put the inexperienced snorkelers in one of the 3 groups (8ppl each) but honestly, I don't think that's what actually happened. In short - If you are going to use these guys, you may as well just take a ship sponsored tour.

Go look at a number of other cruise ports and you will see similar warnings.

I agree people need to remember they are in a foreign country and things are not the same as home, but again this applies to many ports.

Bottom line, pay attention to your surroundings, don't go off the beaten path, use a reputable guide, etc. No need to pick on Roatan in particular.

To the OP, enjoy your cruise and days in both Roatan and Belize. We pre-arranged tours, recommended on the ports of call board, in both ports and had great, safe days. Don't let some posters get to you, but yes do be aware and you too will have a wonderful time.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

No one is "picking on Roatan"! The OP wanted to know about Roatan. The excerpt is clear and mirrors your response:confused:

To the OP; have a wonderful voyage and smooth sailing!:)

With no pun intended: "Forewarned is Forearmed" - Old Proverb ;)

Old thread on T/A but the last few posts are a couple of days old.:)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303872-i29539-k8107935-o10-Best_Off_Ship_Excursion-Coxen_Hole_Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Smooth Sailings !:cool:

Articles about robberies in Belize:

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/articles/crime/

Thanks for sharing link. Not wanting to dismiss these incidents as I know how harrowing it can be for the victims but websites like this can focus too much on the negative and provide an unbalanced view.

All that said there is no doubt you need to be careful in much of Central America.

Edited by teamflames

Thanks for sharing link. Not wanting to dismiss these incidents as I know how harrowing it can be for the victims but websites like this can focus too much on the negative and provide an unbalanced view.

All that said there is no doubt you need to be careful in much of Central America.

Ditto !:)