Charleston, SC hotels

cruznjan

We recently stayed at the Homewood Suites near the airport. There were 4 adults so we had the 2 bedroom/2 bath room which was amazing. Very nice staff, easy drive to the historic area, free parking, near outlet mall and lots of restaurants. Previously we have stayed at the Doubletree Suites in the historic area. Very nice and convenient but a bit pricey!

You will pay through the nose staying downtown. Best bet is Mt Pleasant. You are just across the bridge from the port and cheaper. Just look for Patriots point/Mt pleasant area. You can also stay by the airport (North Charleston) as it is not that far away. The Charleston area is really not that big and won't take you long to get to the port the morning of your sailing.

We're staying at the MainStay Suites in Mount Pleasant. For a room with 2 queen beds we paid $127 a night after taxes. They have free parking there while you're on your cruise also so you can save money on parking. They do not have a shuttle to the port, but you can catch an Uber and ride to the port. (or a taxi if you're old fashioned)

What's a good pre-cruise hotel in Charleston, SC?

We've stayed at Hampton Inn both in Isle-of-the-Palms and also in West Ashley. We like Hampton Inns b/c they wash ALL of the bedding after each guest.

They are basically the same distance to the pier. Both hotels are lovely, VERY clean, and located in safe areas. However, I must say that I liked West Ashley the best b/c the free breakfast is just over the top. Lots of choices and way better than your average free breakfast. They also have a "reception" with free beer & wine, snacks in the evening for a few hours. We did not do the park-and-cruise at either hotel, but it is probably available. I have the name of a great taxi guy here if you want it.

Hampton Inn & Suites Charleston / West Ashley

678 Citadel Haven Drive, Charleston, South Carolina, 29414,

USA TEL: +1-843-573-1200

Edited by audcc77
add'l info

We've stayed at Hampton Inn both in Isle-of-the-Palms and also in West Ashley. We like Hampton Inns b/c they wash ALL of the bedding after each guest.

They are basically the same distance to the pier. Both hotels are lovely, VERY clean, and located in safe areas. However, I must say that I liked West Ashley the best b/c the free breakfast is just over the top. Lots of choices and way better than your average free breakfast. They also have a "reception" with free beer & wine, snacks in the evening for a few hours. We did not do the park-and-cruise at either hotel, but it is probably available. I have the name of a great taxi guy here if you want it.

I live about a mile or so from there (as the crow flies). Just up the next exit is where i am. :D

I'm not the OP, but I'm looking for something that would be close in price to what we would pay to park, around $102. Is it unreasonable to look for a room for one night with free parking for the week and a shuttle, or pay for a taxi, that would be not too much more than what we'd pay for cruise parking if we drove 8 hours the morning of embarkation?

I'm not the OP, but I'm looking for something that would be close in price to what we would pay to park, around $102. Is it unreasonable to look for a room for one night with free parking for the week and a shuttle, or pay for a taxi, that would be not too much more than what we'd pay for cruise parking if we drove 8 hours the morning of embarkation?

Try the one I mentioned above, it's only $20 more than what you're looking to pay and as I said, it has free parking for the week. Uber can get you to the port.

What's a good pre-cruise hotel in Charleston, SC?

Way too vague to get a good answer.

Are you flying in the day before or spending several days?

If spending time here, how much and what do you want to do in that time?

Will you be driving your car or a rental? Or taking taxis/uber to get around?

Do you have a budget?

Have you ever been to Charleston?

What time of day will you arrive? (If flying in late at night for ex, staying near the airport may be more convenient.)

Try the one I mentioned above, it's only $20 more than what you're looking to pay and as I said, it has free parking for the week. Uber can get you to the port.

And if you can find anything cheaper than that in the Charleston area, good luck! If you do, you'll likely be 45 min to an hour from the port. Anything closer (downtown Charleston, Mt. Pleasant/Patriots Point, or airport area) is bound to be that much or more unless you stumble across a heck of a special.

We are cruising out of Charleston next February. I tend to get bogged down in details, and I started looking for hotels. We are flying 2 days ahead, so that adds a different wrinkle to our situation. We will be DH, DS, DIL, 2 grandkids and myself. We are meeting others who will be driving in.

My first thought was to stay in West Ashley and take a shuttle to downtown. Once I really started looking at rooms and what was in the downtown I started to rethink. I was able to book a 2 bedroom suite at Embassy Suites for $300. That will accommodate our entire party. to book two rooms anywhere else will cost that.

We will be nearer to the sights and more choices of restaurants. Of course, I will still look at other options, (because that's what I do!) but I feel fairly comfortable I've made a good choice.

We are cruising out of Charleston next February. I tend to get bogged down in details, and I started looking for hotels. We are flying 2 days ahead, so that adds a different wrinkle to our situation. We will be DH, DS, DIL, 2 grandkids and myself. We are meeting others who will be driving in.

My first thought was to stay in West Ashley and take a shuttle to downtown. Once I really started looking at rooms and what was in the downtown I started to rethink. I was able to book a 2 bedroom suite at Embassy Suites for $300. That will accommodate our entire party. to book two rooms anywhere else will cost that.

We will be nearer to the sights and more choices of restaurants. Of course, I will still look at other options, (because that's what I do!) but I feel fairly comfortable I've made a good choice.

If you're happy with the rate and accommodations then you've made a very good choice. It is a good property and centrally located. You're only one block away from the Charleston Visitors Center.

In their bus shed, you can take one of several van tours of the downtown area if you like. Also on the John Street side is a DASH Trolley stop for all three FREE Dash routes. Here's a link to their route map and timetable.

http://www.ridecarta.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/DASH_MapsR3.pdf

The orange route takes you to the Aquarium and Maritime Center. If you want to go to Patriots Point across the river, you can take the water taxi for $10/pp all day that drops you off at the Naval & Maritime Museum.

The green DASH route takes you to the City Market area, Broad Street, King Street and Meeting Street.

I hope y'all enjoy your Charleston visit prior to your cruise.

Don't forget some of the plantations. You will need other means of transportation to get to them, but can be quite interesting. (I just took my mom to Magnolia Plantation and Gardens a couple weeks ago when she was in town for a visit). At least in Feb you won't be roasting in the heat and humidity. :D

Is there anything specific you are looking for? Do you have to park a car? Do you want to be close to the ship? Do you want to do anything else in Charleston? What is your price range? There are hundreds of hotels here- help us out a little bit.

Do any of the hotels offer shuttle service to the pier?

• 1 month later...

Thank for the info, I booked the Snooze and Cruise package at the West Ashley location today for our cruise in August.

• 1 month later...

It is a better value for your money to stay in West Ashley rather than Mt Pleasant or Downtown. The round Holiday Inn is old but very affordable and it has the absolute best view in town.

Just got back from our cruise in Charleston and I must say our hotel was FANTASTIC. Very secure, very clean and comfy, right at the end of the bridge next to downtown in Mt. P, and our 2bedroom 2 bath suite was $118/ni and we kept our car there for free for the week. Uber was $15 to port for an Uber XL.

• 2 weeks later...
Which hotel did you stay at? I'm trying to book a hotel for the night before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

There are many hotels in Mt Pleasant at the foot of the Ravenel bridge. Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn express, Hampton Inn, Hilton garden Inn, Best Western are just a few of them. They are all in the same area pretty much at the foot of the bridge.

There are many hotels in Mt Pleasant at the foot of the Ravenel bridge. Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn express, Hampton Inn, Hilton garden Inn, Best Western are just a few of them. They are all in the same area pretty much at the foot of the bridge.

And the Quality Inn & Suites Patriots Point at the MP right foot of the bridge. :D