No longer a cruising virgin! My thoughts on the Carnival Pride

almendrada

Hi everybody!

I just returned from my very first cruise on Sunday, and I gotta tell you, I'm grieving. I miss being on that beautiful ship! And it's total crap that I am now expected to take care of myself, and do actual WORK. :mad:

The experience was overwhelmingly good on the Carnival Pride. The ship was in good repair, and the service was outstanding. Only a few negatives, and they were quite minor.

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

• FTTF is so worth it. We didn't have any tender ports, but it paid for itself at least three times. When we arrived on embarkation day, around 1:00 p.m., there was a LONG line, which we were able to skip. On that first day, we needed to go down to Guest Services to have our balcony divider opened, and again we were able to walk right past a very long line to receive immediate service. Finally, on debarkation morning we were able to relax in the Captain's Lounge, and then got off the ship long before most everyone else.

• I am officially a devotee of the Main Dining Room. We had an amazing service team, and I don't know what all the fuss is about with American Table. Most days there were too many good choices, and I simply didn't have room in my stomach to try everything I wanted to try. With a very few exceptions, everything was the right temperature, and delicious. Also, I actually preferred the nights when we did not have tablecloths (casual nights), because the tablecloths tended to get in the way. Just my opinion.

• I know you can't bring plastic bottles of water on board. I know that. BUT-- in both Nassau and Freeport, we didn't use all the water we brought off the ship, and "forgot" them in our backpack. We had no trouble getting them back on board. Your mileage may vary, of course.
  • I was really excited to try the steakhouse, and the food was pretty good, but honestly I think I preferred the MDR. The food wasn't THAT much better, the service was not as good as what I received from my MDR team, and the atmosphere was just off. I think it's a fault with the design of the Spirit-class steakhouses in the funnel. There was no physical barrier, such as a door, between the steakhouse space and the atrium, so while the steakhouse was playing subdued music, and the atrium was playing louder, more bass-driven pop, we weren't able to actually hear either one. It just felt like a cacophony of sound.

• As someone who had been really excited to start cruising for the last year, no one was more shocked than I when I woke up the first morning super disoriented at the fact that HOLY CRAP WE WERE MOVING. I took a meclizine and my body eventually adjusted. My husband, on the other hand, had a rougher time and we will be getting him a prescription patch before our next cruise. I wish I had taken the prospect of motion sickness more seriously.

• Guy's burgers are good, but Blue Iguana burritos are great! However, I was a little underwhelmed at their breakfast burritos.

• Bonsai Sushi is incredible. I went to the sushi demonstration the first day, and then went there for one dine-in meal, and got take out sushi a different day. Absolutely outstanding. Also, they have free pickled ginger if anyone wants it for motion sickness.

• Nassau didn't feel dangerous and crime-ridden like everyone says, but it also didn't feel very relaxing. It had a very frenetic pace, and it felt like a big city, which it is. Freeport, on the other hand, was much more relaxing. We got the My Bahamian House excursion and it was incredible. I would recommend that highly to anyone going to Freeport.

• I brought my own tea bags and was glad that I did. Most other cruisers at tea time seemed surprised at the upcharge for specialty tea. I didn't see anyone who actually bought it.

• Dive-In Movies are fun, but the lido lounge chairs were a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it's because my husband and I are both a bit fluffy, but we both got really uncomfortable after about an hour of sitting in those chairs.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm happy to answer any questions, though!

Hi everybody!

I just returned from my very first cruise on Sunday, and I gotta tell you, I'm grieving. I miss being on that beautiful ship! And it's total crap that I am now expected to take care of myself, and do actual WORK. :mad:

The experience was overwhelmingly good on the Carnival Pride. The ship was in good repair, and the service was outstanding. Only a few negatives, and they were quite minor.

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

• FTTF is so worth it. We didn't have any tender ports, but it paid for itself at least three times. When we arrived on embarkation day, around 1:00 p.m., there was a LONG line, which we were able to skip. On that first day, we needed to go down to Guest Services to have our balcony divider opened, and again we were able to walk right past a very long line to receive immediate service. Finally, on debarkation morning we were able to relax in the Captain's Lounge, and then got off the ship long before most everyone else.

• I am officially a devotee of the Main Dining Room. We had an amazing service team, and I don't know what all the fuss is about with American Table. Most days there were too many good choices, and I simply didn't have room in my stomach to try everything I wanted to try. With a very few exceptions, everything was the right temperature, and delicious. Also, I actually preferred the nights when we did not have tablecloths (casual nights), because the tablecloths tended to get in the way. Just my opinion.

• I know you can't bring plastic bottles of water on board. I know that. BUT-- in both Nassau and Freeport, we didn't use all the water we brought off the ship, and "forgot" them in our backpack. We had no trouble getting them back on board. Your mileage may vary, of course.
  • I was really excited to try the steakhouse, and the food was pretty good, but honestly I think I preferred the MDR. The food wasn't THAT much better, the service was not as good as what I received from my MDR team, and the atmosphere was just off. I think it's a fault with the design of the Spirit-class steakhouses in the funnel. There was no physical barrier, such as a door, between the steakhouse space and the atrium, so while the steakhouse was playing subdued music, and the atrium was playing louder, more bass-driven pop, we weren't able to actually hear either one. It just felt like a cacophony of sound.

• As someone who had been really excited to start cruising for the last year, no one was more shocked than I when I woke up the first morning super disoriented at the fact that HOLY CRAP WE WERE MOVING. I took a meclizine and my body eventually adjusted. My husband, on the other hand, had a rougher time and we will be getting him a prescription patch before our next cruise. I wish I had taken the prospect of motion sickness more seriously.

• Guy's burgers are good, but Blue Iguana burritos are great! However, I was a little underwhelmed at their breakfast burritos.

• Bonsai Sushi is incredible. I went to the sushi demonstration the first day, and then went there for one dine-in meal, and got take out sushi a different day. Absolutely outstanding. Also, they have free pickled ginger if anyone wants it for motion sickness.

• Nassau didn't feel dangerous and crime-ridden like everyone says, but it also didn't feel very relaxing. It had a very frenetic pace, and it felt like a big city, which it is. Freeport, on the other hand, was much more relaxing. We got the My Bahamian House excursion and it was incredible. I would recommend that highly to anyone going to Freeport.

• I brought my own tea bags and was glad that I did. Most other cruisers at tea time seemed surprised at the upcharge for specialty tea. I didn't see anyone who actually bought it.

• Dive-In Movies are fun, but the lido lounge chairs were a bit uncomfortable. Maybe it's because my husband and I are both a bit fluffy, but we both got really uncomfortable after about an hour of sitting in those chairs.

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm happy to answer any questions, though!

Nice suscinct review. First cruises set the bar for all that will follow. Glad you enjoyed your first cruise and especially the Pride.

Enjoyed reading the review of your first cruise, and glad you enjoyed the Pride. We just returned two weeks ago from our fourth cruise on the Pride. We had a great time. We've been cruising since the 80's, and we've cruised on other cruise lines as well, but we're spoiled with the Pride. We only live an hour and a half from the pier in Baltimore, and the commute is so much better than flying to a port, or driving to the next closest port in New York. I'm in the process of looking for our next cruise for late 2016, or something in 2017. I'm geared in to the Pride to Bermuda, but I seriously think my DH will think I'm crazy as that would be the 5th Pride cruise. (-:

Again, glad you had a nice time.

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your first cruise and the Pride.:)

Just a note: you probably had no problem getting that water back on the ship because it is allowed to come back on the ship. You weren't breaking any rules.;)

From Carnival's Liquor and Beverage Policy:

"Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

:)

I too lost my cruise virginity on the Pride! She is a beautiful ship. Glad to see you also enjoyed her as much as we did. Be careful though, now you're going to want to cruise all the time - like us! :)

thanks for the review. I too love the pride.

For the Dive in movies, we often sit back by the pool. I sit on the edge of the pool, my dad brings over a regular straight back chair and my mother - well she always travels with her own chair (she is a full time wheelchair user). I actually found it more comfortable to sit on the edge of the pool than on the lounger - you're sitting straight, you have a great eye line for the movie screen and if you start to get uncomfortable you can move around a bit (because there is no one behind you).

Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed your first cruise and the Pride.:)

Just a note: you probably had no problem getting that water back on the ship because it is allowed to come back on the ship. You weren't breaking any rules.;)

From Carnival's Liquor and Beverage Policy:

"Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

:)

Aha! That makes so much more sense! :)

thanks for the review. I too love the pride.

For the Dive in movies, we often sit back by the pool. I sit on the edge of the pool, my dad brings over a regular straight back chair and my mother - well she always travels with her own chair (she is a full time wheelchair user). I actually found it more comfortable to sit on the edge of the pool than on the lounger - you're sitting straight, you have a great eye line for the movie screen and if you start to get uncomfortable you can move around a bit (because there is no one behind you).

That is not a bad idea. Thanks! (I probably also wouldn't have had the obnoxious movie-talker sitting right behind me.)

Glad to read you enjoyed your first cruise. I have not yet been on the Pride. I talked to some Pride passengers when in port at Mahogany Bay and they all raved about the ship. I hope to sail on Pride one day. You did a great 1st review.:cool:

I'm going on the Pride this coming December for an xmas cruise. I have a random question. How was the salad dressing selection in the buffet? I only ask because my last cruise was on the NCL Dawn and the selection was abysmal. They had ranch and something weird they were trying to pass off as italian.

Glad you had a great first cruise. I started on that cruise but had to disembark in Nassau on Thursday due to a medical emergency.

The rest of my family went on with the cruise and were at The Bahamian House with you. They said it was great!

I'm glad you had a great time on the Pride. We have been on the Pride 5 times and always had a great time and enjoy the ship. We are planning our next trip but it won't be soon enough.

I too lost my cruise virginity on the Pride! She is a beautiful ship. Glad to see you also enjoyed her as much as we did. Be careful though, now you're going to want to cruise all the time - like us! :)
Yup . Pride took ours too and got us addicted as well . :D

Glad you enjoyed your first almendrada

Glad you had such a wonderful first-time experience! See you've already got another one booked. :)

As of 10 minutes ago, I've got two booked! I had that other one nailed down before we even sailed the first time. I think I've got it bad...

Hopefully you booked while on board and got the On Board Credit OBC. Did you get the Carnival Mastercard for additional credit added to the card? Your itinerary looks great for your next cruise.:cool:

I got the MasterCard last summer, and actually used it enough that we had $200 OBC for this last cruise.

Also, as I stated above, we already had the second one booked before we went. We opted against booking onboard. We decided the OBC wasn't worth the chance to do lots of research before booking the next one. We have lots of opportunity to get OBC! And I value the chance to talk to my PVP about it before booking.

I'm going on the Pride this coming December for an xmas cruise. I have a random question. How was the salad dressing selection in the buffet? I only ask because my last cruise was on the NCL Dawn and the selection was abysmal. They had ranch and something weird they were trying to pass off as italian.

I am so sorry, I wish I could help you. I actually never ate lunch on Lido... there were too many other options! But I really enjoyed the salads in the MDR.

Glad you had a great first cruise. I started on that cruise but had to disembark in Nassau on Thursday due to a medical emergency.

The rest of my family went on with the cruise and were at The Bahamian House with you. They said it was great!

Oh no! I hope you are OK!

The Bahamian House really was wonderful. I'm so sorry you missed it.

I had the salad for lunch everyday. I had blue cheese dressing. I remember seeing at least six choices.

Oh no! I hope you are OK!

The Bahamian House really was wonderful. I'm so sorry you missed it.

Yes, I'm fine. It was my brother and he is fine now too. Just one of those useless body parts that seem to expire at inconvenient times!

I have that same excursion booked for my next Pride cruise in August. I'm really glad everyone enjoyed it because the last time I was in Freeport we hung around the port and it was boring. Was it enough time? That was my main concern.

Thanks