Evening Chic dress code question

lawgirl

Just off the Summit dining in Lumanie and a few men wore a sports jacket or suit but most everyone were dressed the same as every other night. Same for most woman.

I think how passenger's dressed are based on itinerary. We were in Europe and most tended to dress about more formal for dinner.

I think how passenger's dressed are based on itinerary. We were in Europe and most tended to dress about more formal for dinner.

Karyn, we just have to set a good example and maybe others will see the error of their ways. HaHaHa.;)

That was also the trend on our 3 April Eclipse(14 night Cruise) Cruise in the Caribbean. We had early traditional dining in the MDR and the majority of passengers for that seating were still electing to dress formally (according to Celebrity's definition) on Chic Evening. Maybe that was due to the new suggested evening dress guideline in the MDR being fairly new? We had a table for two by the wine tower and had a great view of the dining room.

Thank you for all the contributions It's been very informative reading all the comments as we were unsure about Chic.

We were on infinity in November 2015 before the changes to formal. We did like all the formal evenings my husband always dresses in his full Scottish highland dress (kilt)

We are cruising on constellation In November 2016 & on infinity b2b in September 2017.

I am sure we will still dress up makes things so special.

However each to their own ideas of chic.

James & Kathleen Gillespie

Having been planning other trips first, I just got around to checking in on the X boards for our Infinity cruise later this year. I noticed formal nights are gone and replaced by evening chic. For those who cruised since the change: are there any men in suits? Are there any women in long gowns?

I have a TON of gowns I have purchased over the years, probably about 10 of which I have never worn....(got on sale, knowing we cruise every year). Wondering if I will look WAY overdressed? Hate to just donate them .... Oh, I should mention we are in a CS, so does anyone dress up in Luminae for Evening Chic nights?

Thanks!

Lately, I have been staying away from the controversial topic. However I wanted to ease your mind. On our last cruise this past March on the Equinox, I saw a mix of everything. The majority were "dressed up" almost every night. Only saw probably less than 10% in tuxes, but lots of suits or jackets and ties. Ladies looked great, some in formal, but most in cocktail dresses, dressy tops and pants, and lots and lots of bling accessories. Simpler dress on some women, but almost everyone looked tasteful. Personally, I love to get to wear the clothing I don't get to wear often at home. I bring maxi-dresses, silky tops and black pants, cocktail dress or two, and bring a bucket load of fun accessories. Hubby no longer packs his tux, but one suit or jacket and tie. He just changes the shirts and ties around. Yes, we end up with two large suitcases, a duffle bag and each bring a small carry-on, and I'm jealous of those who pack so light, but I love the ritual of dressing up while DH is having his martini at the bar. It feels like a date!! He doesn't mind, and it takes me all of about 45 minutes to get ready from start to finish! :)

Bottom line: bring your gowns!! Hey as long as you feel like packing them, you will fit in just fine!

Edited by Cruisen'Susan

We're on Eclipse on 14 August to Scandinavia & Russia and I've just bought two gowns, definitely going to dress up. My sister is on the same cruise and she will be "gowned" as well. This will be our first cruise.:):)

Thank you for all the contributions It's been very informative reading all the comments as we were unsure about Chic.

We were on infinity in November 2015 before the changes to formal. We did like all the formal evenings my husband always dresses in his full Scottish highland dress (kilt)

We are cruising on constellation In November 2016 & on infinity b2b in September 2017.

We are off this week and for the first time not taking the kilt or trews. Its just too formal for "Evening Chic" - feel a bit overdressed - doing suits and cocktail length dresses instead.

We're on Eclipse on 14 August to Scandinavia & Russia and I've just bought two gowns, definitely going to dress up. My sister is on the same cruise and she will be "gowned" as well. This will be our first cruise.:):)

How wonderful! There is nothing so exciting as embarking on your first cruise. I am sure you will look fantastic in your gowns. I have been on 35 cruises and enjoy the anticipation prior to each one. I will not be wearing a gown on my Bermuda cruise. I will be wearing dresses and fancy slack outfits. That is what I enjoy about the new Celebrity dress code...we will both be wearing what we wish. Having only sailed on casual cruises for the last 10 years, I have gotten away from the fancy attire. Windstar, Regent, Azamara and river boat cruising have made us comfortable with wearing more casual clothing while cruising. When I heard that Celebrity had gone to a more relaxed dress code, we booked our cruise to Bermuda as we could dress for the cruise the way we wish.

Thank you Nashna, I've been trying for a couple of years to get hubby to go on a cruise, but he never fancied it, said he would feel like a captive audience!! Then he said he would go if we had a balcony, well, that was hardly a problem! It was no sooner said than I had it booked:D:D. Mind you we did go on Nile cruise when we were in Egypt, but obviously it would not be the same. I'm already looking at 2017 cruises.

Mary

We leave on Infinity June 5 out of Vancouver for Alaska. I have no idea what to pack, was not taking gowns for me or a tux for him, even though we have many. Do people dress a little warmer, in colder climates? Was thinking longer sleeved cocktail dresses, then sweater dresses for non Chic nights? Never been to Alaska, always done Caribbean or Panama Canal cruises, know how to pack for that! So confused!

We leave on Infinity June 5 out of Vancouver for Alaska. I have no idea what to pack, was not taking gowns for me or a tux for him, even though we have many. Do people dress a little warmer, in colder climates? Was thinking longer sleeved cocktail dresses, then sweater dresses for non Chic nights? Never been to Alaska, always done Caribbean or Panama Canal cruises, know how to pack for that! So confused!

I have only done Alaska on HAL and RCCL, so I can't speak for how things are for sure on Celebrity, but at least on the other two lines, people seemed slightly more casual in Alaska. There were a few people in gowns and tuxes, but not many.

As far as temperature, when you're inside the ship, it's temperature controlled. I only worried about "warm" (turned out to be a non-issue most of the time as it was exceptionally warm when I was there both times) when I was out on the decks or my balcony. If I was going to be inside I just dressed normal - no long-sleeved anything.

But I go back to my previous statement - as long as it fits in the guidelines, wear what makes you happy! If dressing up makes you happy, go for it! If dressing down a bit (staying within the guidelines) makes you happy, go for it! :D

We did like all the formal evenings my husband always dresses in his full Scottish highland dress (kilt)

Seeing a Gentleman in full Scottish Highland Dress is among my best memories of cruising. Go for it!

I agree, we will continue to dress up as well. In my opinion, Celebrity is dumbing down the whole cruise experience. If I wanted to wear shorts, I'd cruise carnival.

The last Carnival cruise we took had many more men in tuxedos than our last Celebrity cruise.

Edited by PROCRUISE

I'm just coming back from my first Celebrity Baltic cruise and found the so-called "smart casual" and "evening chic" dress code to be a strange mixing between "storage war" and "fashion week"!!!! Ah! Those so chic large, floating, knee-long things (don't know if I have to call them shorts, trousers or bermudas), probably an emotional tribute to grand-father's d-day-parachute! Ah! Those "never without my base-ball cap" men, so chic in their full-day-worn jogging and their sweat-absorber T-shirt! Were not they ashamed of themselves, meeting this so nicely dressed family from India, with ladies in elegant saris and men in spotless perfectly tailored white jackets, even worn by children?

No, I don't agree with people saying on this thread : "dress as you want and don't mind about the way other people are dressed", it's simply ugly, unsightly, and a lack of respect toward crew members who are properly dressed, and toward fellows passengers who don't have to bare the view and smell of your full-day-worn-baggy-jogging for dinner!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm just coming back from my first Celebrity Baltic cruise and found the so-called "smart casual" and "evening chic" dress code to be a strange mixing between "storage war" and "fashion week"!!!! Ah! Those so chic large, floating, knee-long things (don't know if I have to call them shorts, trousers or bermudas), probably an emotional tribute to grand-father's d-day-parachute! Ah! Those "never without my base-ball cap" men, so chic in their full-day-worn jogging and their sweat-absorber T-shirt! Were not they ashamed of themselves, meeting this so nicely dressed family from India, with ladies in elegant saris and men in spotless perfectly tailored white jackets, even worn by children?

No, I don't agree with people saying on this thread : "dress as you want and don't mind about the way other people are dressed", it's simply ugly, unsightly, and a lack of respect toward crew members who are properly dressed, and toward fellows passengers who don't have to bare the view and smell of your full-day-worn-baggy-jogging for dinner!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Too bad for you if it bothers you how others dress. I am not about to get bothered by what other passengers are wearing. That includes passengers dressed up more than myself. I am what I am and they are what they are.

It is the same as some have nicer and newer cars than I do. Some have older and less nice cars than I do. All I care about is that they drive well....

Too bad for you if it bothers you how others dress. I am not about to get bothered by what other passengers are wearing. That includes passengers dressed up more than myself. I am what I am and they are what they are.

It is the same as some have nicer and newer cars than I do. Some have older and less nice cars than I do. All I care about is that they drive well....

Bingo!

I also know that things can happen beyond the control of people. A friend of mine went on a Caribbean Running Cruise (this was on RCCL) and even though she planned everything right, her luggage did not make it. She was given a tiny amount of money to "replace" the clothes which didn't go far at all - plus when you're not the size of a stick it can be harder to find clothes outside of specialty stores. The others in the group pulled together as much as they could to share what clothes they could with her, but she was nowhere near dressed as she would have been had she had her own stuff. She felt horrible for having to wear a lot of repeats over the course of the week - she did do hand-washing in her cabin each night - and felt even more horrible because she saw the looks she was getting from some of the other passengers. People automatically judging her as a "storage war victim" or the like when in reality SHE HAD NO LUGGAGE!

I'm not saying that's the case with everyone who chooses not to dress up. I'm just saying you don't know the circumstances, so maybe think twice before judging. (Besides, unless you (not the poster I'm quoting - the other, judgy one) saw the person at breakfast, throughout the day, and at dinner, you really don't know that they wore the same thing the entire day.)

Kind of agree with this. It is my vacation and I'll dress how I please. If you want fancy, go on a fancy boat.

We are off this week and for the first time not taking the kilt or trews. Its just too formal for "Evening Chic" - feel a bit overdressed - doing suits and cocktail length dresses instead.

Please don't leave the kilt at home! They fit right in with the new Evening Chic! I was a supporter of formal night till I sailed my first Celebrity cruise with the new Chic night. I love it! It is actually more fun dressing for that than formal night. I did have to bring more shoes though:D! Excellent move Celebrity!

In general, our habit over the past several years is to skip dinner in the MDR on formal evenings. We would dine in an alternate venue. We have done this because we only travel with carry on. A cruise for us is invariably a component of a longer land vacation. But we do travel with a pair of docker slacks, collared shirt ( short sleeve), and sweater. Never a jacket, tie, dress shirt, etc. There is not room in my bag for this. DW will have a dress but certainly not a cocktail dress.

Will this suffice for gala evenings or should we continue on as we have in the past? We anticipate being on a Celebrity Med cruise in the fall and possibly another cruise line as well depending on the last minute pricing.

Edited by iancal