PSA: wash your hands w/ soap & water(GEM denied entry to ST Martin today-NOROVIRUS)

renata102

PSA: wash your hands people - OFTEN

now the gem is not visiting ST Martin. It's at sea.

It's 10 day cruise and only 4 port days. Now it's down to 3 port days. And there are still a port or two left

So wash your hands. Soap and water. Use hand sanitizers

I am not on the GEM. but I am boarding her Tuesday

Edited by renata102
Word

Noro is a tough one...washing your hands with soap and water like you said is the only thing that can help prevent it, but even if you are diligent, you still could wind up with this awful virus....the more kids on a ship, the worse your chances (cute little petri dishes!!)

Noro is running rampant through parts of NC right now. My daughter's family is just getting over it. My husband and I escaped it...by some miracle...because we were with them the day they started showing symptoms. A few schools were closed due to it.

It's not fun. I truly feel bad for people who wind up on a ship with it.

Noro is a tough one...washing your hands with soap and water like you said is the only thing that can help prevent it, but even if you are diligent, you still could wind up with this awful virus....the more kids on a ship, the worse your chances (cute little petri dishes!!)

Noro is running rampant through parts of NC right now. My daughter's family is just getting over it. My husband and I escaped it...by some miracle...because we were with them the day they started showing symptoms. A few schools were closed due to it.

It's not fun. I truly feel bad for people who wind up on a ship with it.

So if more people are diligent it would further reduce your own risk.

Pass the word.

Wash yo' hands

Just to be clear, I am on the Gem right now... and while there is definitely a serious medical ailment happening onboard, so far no one has referred to it as Norovirus.

I'm not sure if Acute Gastroenteritis is the same thing as Norovirus, but that is what it is being called.

Just to be clear, I am on the Gem right now... and while there is definitely a serious medical ailment happening onboard, so far no one has referred to it as Norovirus.

I'm not sure if Acute Gastroenteritis is the same thing as Norovirus, but that is what it is being called.

Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause inflammation of the stomach and large intestine lining (gastroenteritis); they are the leading cause of gastroenteritis in the U.S. The norovirus was originally called the Norwalk virus after the town of Norwalk, Ohio, the location of the first confirmed outbreak in 1972.

Noroviruses are a group of viruses that cause inflammation of the stomach and large intestine lining (gastroenteritis); they are the leading cause of gastroenteritis in the U.S. The norovirus was originally called the Norwalk virus after the town of Norwalk, Ohio, the location of the first confirmed outbreak in 1972.

AGI (Acute Gastro Intestinal) is a "handle" for a group of illnesses characterized by diarrhea and vomiting. Noro is one AGI. Without analysis of stool samples, the actual causative agent cannot be identified.

The bottom line is, we all need to be more vigilant with our "washy washy"

I'm on the gem right now, I'm fairly certain I can do a back stroke faster than the ship is moving. Not exactly pleasant as the seas are less than ideal.

Anyone on board heard of we're going to make it into Tortola tomorrow? The last announcement from Drew made no mention of tomorrow, not exactly promising.

AGI (Acute Gastro Intestinal) is a "handle" for a group of illnesses characterized by diarrhea and vomiting. Noro is one AGI. Without analysis of stool samples, the actual causative agent cannot be identified.

I was hoping you would find these threads. The story on the other thread it is the local water in San Juan.

Anyone on board heard of we're going to make it into Tortola tomorrow? The last announcement from Drew made no mention of tomorrow, not exactly promising.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:370675/mmsi:309951000/vessel:NORWEGIAN%20GEM

Shows Tortola as set destination, for now..

edit; take care, sorry you missed StM

Edited by FreestyleNovice

Honestly, I don't think the tongs are better. Possibly worse if you think about. Dont flame me, I do use them but think of this....

If each person grabbed their croissant, most could do it without touching any of the others. A few may touch a couple on accident but only the one right next to the one they grabbed. No one croissant would likely be touched by more than one , maybe two, other people. However, if everyone uses the tongs, then you use the tongs, then you go back to your table and eat your croissant, you have everyone's germs. Many more people's grubby hands have touched those tongs you just used then would have touched the croissant you ended up with. I've not known many people to go wash their wands each time they fill their plate. That's what would help most I bet.

Buffets are just germy, it doesn't matter what you do.

On my January Celebrity cruise a woman was pointing to some shrimp in a dish and stuck her finger in the food. As I pointed this out to the server at that station, she licked her finger as she said, I didn't touch the food. The server did the correct thing and removed the dish from the buffet and replaced it with a new full tray.

The employee definitely did the right thing. That is what they did when I pointed out the instances I saw as well on the Getaway.

However, I am sure there are many times when no one sees or says anything and the food is contaminated and then that is how illness gets spread.

The sad part is that this behavior comes from grown adults with no shame touching and contaminating communal food with bare fingers and hands.

Honestly, I don't think the tongs are better. Possibly worse if you think about. Dont flame me, I do use them but think of this....

If each person grabbed their croissant, most could do it without touching any of the others. A few may touch a couple on accident but only the one right next to the one they grabbed. No one croissant would likely be touched by more than one , maybe two, other people. However, if everyone uses the tongs, then you use the tongs, then you go back to your table and eat your croissant, you have everyone's germs. Many more people's grubby hands have touched those tongs you just used then would have touched the croissant you ended up with. I've not known many people to go wash their wands each time they fill their plate. That's what would help most I bet.

Buffets are just germy, it doesn't matter what you do.

That's exactly why I make my kids wash their hands after going through a buffet and before they eat. Or my wife forces them to slather down their hands with hand sanitizer, liberally.

If they'd allow me, I'd roll out the smart tongs program.

What the heck is that? Well let me explain!

A smart tong is an active device that functions like a normal set of tongs but has a sensor array on the outside. The key to this is the washywashyhappyhappy attendant at the buffet entrance. Sidestep them, and your hands are tainted and this is where the program differs.

The smart tong's sensors activate when handled. They identify a taggant that's in the sanitizing agent. If the sensors don't pick this up they trigger an alarm output.

The alarm can trigger local haptic feedback (making them vibrate like your cell phone), output an electrical stimulus similar to a pet training collar, or flash a light bar with audio cues to alert nearby crew so action is taken. Similar to anti theft systems at stores. ;)

Next phase is smart sneeze guards that detect grabbers and grazers. ;)

A smart tong is an active device that functions like a normal set of tongs but has a sensor array on the outside. The key to this is the washywashyhappyhappy attendant at the buffet entrance. Sidestep them, and your hands are tainted and this is where the program differs.

The smart tong's sensors activate when handled. They identify a taggant that's in the sanitizing agent. If the sensors don't pick this up they trigger an alarm output.

The alarm can trigger local haptic feedback (making them vibrate like your cell phone), output an electrical stimulus similar to a pet training collar, or flash a light bar with audio cues to alert nearby crew so action is taken. Similar to anti theft systems at stores. ;)

Sounds like a great idea. I would see NCL adding a cover charge to the Garden Cafe to cover the cost. :)

Hand sanitizers are NOT better than soap & water. The new ships have it right with sinks outside the buffet.

Before I eat anywhere I wash my hands with soap & water. I do not touch anything on my way to the restaurant. I do not stop for the miniscule spray of washy, washy. I do not want alcohol, or lotion, or whatever on my hands when I pick up a roll...

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

Well, according to the Captain - several of the people under quarantine left their cabins. A nurse told me that they visited the Garden Cafe. ALL of that is stupid... and selfish.

On Gem's 2/21 sailing a minor outbreak resulted in self-service being banned in the Garden Cafe --- but I frequently saw passengers grabbing things with their hands - often touching several items before settling on what they wanted.

Sadly, aside from the abysmal service on Gem, many of the passengers seem to have been raised by wolves -- perhaps it is NCL's "do it your way" marketing which attracts slobs and fools, but in any case it is reason enough to avoid NCL in future.

I cannot help wondering why so many seem to like NCL, and continually sail them. Obviously a number of them have only experienced something like the Staten Island ferry as an alternative, so they think NCL is great; but the fact that some have experienced other lines and still repeat on NCL indicates that there is an NCL mindset of which I want no part.

Hand sanitizers are NOT better than soap & water. The new ships have it right with sinks outside the buffet.

Before I eat anywhere I wash my hands with soap & water. I do not touch anything on my way to the restaurant. I do not stop for the miniscule spray of washy, washy. I do not want alcohol, or lotion, or whatever on my hands when I pick up a roll...

http://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/show-me-the-science-hand-sanitizer.html

I was being sarcastic with that post. ;)

Most people don't even know how to properly wash their hands.

And too, the sinks of convenience aren't even that effective. Call me pedantic if you will, but a proper washtub will utilize shutoff paddles operated by the knee or foot pedals and a tub depth sufficient to eliminate splashback. Touchless, IR operated faucets are a step forward but these are often not set up correctly, water temperatures aren't sufficient.

And above all, people aren't washing their hands properly! Twenty seconds, MINIMUM, full lather.

And as many will tell you, they see people that just cannot be bothered with washing their hands after doing a number two! That's disgusting. Those folks aren't going to be using a sink anywhere else. I've had guys telling me that they don't need to wash hands (after peeing) because their junk is clean and urine is sterile! Whiskey Tango!

I know a thing or two about hand sanitation having experience in reptile farming. Salmonella is no joke.

Edited by cpufrost

When I use a public bathroom, I flush the toilet with my foot unless the toilet is a self-flusher.

I don't want to touch the handle that so many yet-unwashed fingers have touched. Open the stall door using a piece of tissue.

Then wash hands for 20 seconds.

I agree. Hand sanitizer pails in comparison to washing your hands. "Science" proves it.

BTW, I love it when people suck on their fingers or dig in their mouth and head back up to the buffet. Its not a NCL thing. Its everywhere. I deal with some pretty "fancy" people on my business trips who do such things, though we are rarely eating at buffets unless its catered or a Vegas conference.

Its a main reason why I try to avoid buffets if at all possible. And make my kids wash their hands AFTER they've got their food and before eating if we do go to one. I don't think I'm snooty. Its just that I help manage risk for a living and its too risky for me versus going to a restaurant or dining room. :D

And you have sailed NCL 6 times but Royal, Carnival and Princess only once each. What kind of people sail those lines?:D

My 2/21/2012 on NCL was the first since 2008 Boston to Bermuda. Sadly, some of the best itineraries (embarkation port and destination - which are significant factors in my decision making) are only sailed by NCL.

After my fifth disappointment (first NCL cruise was on the Norway - before their "Freestyle" was fully implemented - and was good enough to warrant returning to NCL) I have finally decided that their lackluster service does not deserve ANY more sampling - despite their tempting itineraries.

With regard to your specific question: I found far more discerning (and courteous) people on Royal, Carnival and Princess - as on Cunard, Celebrity and HAL; which latter three offer better service generally - and are thus lines of choice.

It would be nice if NCL would have a ship friendly video on expected protocol on the ship. Some people forget to remember. I remember seeing a small clip on my last NCL cruise but it could be expanded. It could be a reminder on considerate buffet manners, chair hogs, hand washing etc. This could be done in a humorous manner; Considerate Pax vs. Dudley do wrong. You can't change some peoples behavior, (they don't read CC) but maybe a reminder video might help them to remember that they aren't the only ones on the ship.

Edited by gwsster