Another Terrorist Attack In Turkey

curtdesilets

Antwerp is a great idea...it's a wonderful city, has a bit more charm and the Flemish area of Belgium might be less on edge.

My Belgium experience goes back to my first trip to Europe in 1970 when my sister and I left the train (in Brussels) in the early morning with "gentlemen" making lascivious comments that fortunately my younger sister didn't understand. "Just keep walking, Karen," I said. "Ignore them."

On Renaissance in 1999 we had ports of call in Bruges and Antwerp which were wonderful. We particularly enjoyed Antwerp and had no need for a guide.

So if you decide to do that instead, you won't be unhappy. The Rembrandt Huis is wonderful. (Or was in 1999 ... I assume it still is.)

Mura

I wonder how an O ship designated to sail some uncomfortable areas...but promised great lecturures would sell? In other words, going mid market between Voyages of Antiquity and NatGeo? The field goals are pretty wide there.

Sign me up.

Still kicking myself for not going to Libya when I had the chance in 2010.

Sign me up.

We were on a cruise in Nov '05 that was supposed to go to Libya but Kaddaffi was kicking up dust and decided that U.S. passport holders wouldn't be allowed on shore, and so Oceania changed the itinerary ... it was still a great cruise but we missed our opportunity to see the Libyan sites. At least we got to Tunisia ...

Mura

Do to a lack of safe places we decided instead of a summer cruise, we will take a bus tour of National Parks. Its the 100th anniversary of our National Parks and a great year to visit. Hopefully ISIL will fizzle out by next year, but I doubt it.

We were on a cruise in Nov '05 that was supposed to go to Libya but Kaddaffi was kicking up dust and decided that U.S. passport holders wouldn't be allowed on shore, and so Oceania changed the itinerary ... it was still a great cruise but we missed our opportunity to see the Libyan sites. At least we got to Tunisia ...

Mura

One never knows what's around the corner. I'm just happy I got to Syria and went to Palmyra.

Do to a lack of safe places we decided instead of a summer cruise, we will take a bus tour of National Parks. Its the 100th anniversary of our National Parks and a great year to visit. Hopefully ISIL will fizzle out by next year, but I doubt it.

We are big fans of the national parks ... have taken our Danish friends to a number of them over the past 7-8 years. You could do far worse!

Mura

Sign me up.

We discovered Azamara when looking for an October 2012 cruise to recover from our daughter's late September wedding. (We had to cancel a late August one on Oceania so as not to desert the bride too close to the big day.)

I was so taken with an itinerary that had four stops in Sicily plus Malta and Salerno, a dream itinerary for us admirers of the ancients. Turns out that the itinerary only existed because Azamara had cancelled its stops in Libya.

Which was 25 years ago when we were little pups of 40 or so, we went to Greece on a land tour - Athens to Athens, a bus tour that included all the wonderful historic sites....& the grand dame of the group who established herself in the first days of the trip in the role told many of us that she'd spent all her life in anticipation of her retirement...when she could go to ancient Greece & Rome...& on that trip she realized that she had left it too long & her ankles weren't up to the terrain of the Acropolis or indeed any other major site.

We learned from that & THANK GOODNESS! In the intervening 25 years, we've been almost everywhere in Europe AND Asia AND Africa that we could have wished....and now the world is on fire. We are hoping that one day we can safely again return to Europe...but it won't be any time soon except on the most selective tours (Ireland, anybody????).

Thirty years ago I lived in England & the worry was the IRA blowing up the underground stations in London. This is sort of like that but on SUCH SUCH SUCH a bigger scale & there is no western leadership willing to take on the problem. What to do? And what can we as citizens do about it???

What a worry. To think that we could lose the likes of Florence, Venice, Athens, Rome ---- the world needs to pull up its socks & do something. This is far more worrying than not getting on shore for your excursions....deep & troubled sigh....

My Belgium experience goes back to my first trip to Europe in 1970 when my sister and I left the train (in Brussels) in the early morning with "gentlemen" making lascivious comments that fortunately my younger sister didn't understand. "Just keep walking, Karen," I said. "Ignore them."

On Renaissance in 1999 we had ports of call in Bruges and Antwerp which were wonderful. We particularly enjoyed Antwerp and had no need for a guide.

So if you decide to do that instead, you won't be unhappy. The Rembrandt Huis is wonderful. (Or was in 1999 ... I assume it still is.)

Mura

Hi Mura

i think the RUBENS HUIS is wonderful :)

Sorry

Gilbert

• 2 weeks later...
One never knows what's around the corner. I'm just happy I got to Syria and went to Palmyra.

Lucky you!

I remember reading this National Geographic on Libya a few years ago. It was FASCINATING. Cover story was on Libya.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/02/125-ancient-libya/steinmetz-photography

Has ISIS destroyed this site as well??

I've been sitting on this for a couple of hours, debating whether or not to post it.

In the end, I felt it would be irresponsible of me to withhold this information. I know I'll be criticized, scolded, and I'm weary of all that which is why I was hesitating to post, but our news is highlighting the story, and calling it an unusual occurrence. I'll post this on a few relevant threads, and you might want to post it on others. Hopefully, hopefully all will stay quiet, but I think it is important to be informed.

Please note: I am not scaremongering. I am not telling you not to go to Turkey. I am not telling you not to complain if your port stops in Turkey are cancelled. If you read the entire article (I've only copied part of it below), you will see that even with all the alerts after the most recent terror attack, and Israel telling its citizens to get out of the country, over 100,000 Israelis were still planning to visit Turkey at the end of this month.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-tells-its-nationals-in-turkey-get-out-now/

Israel tells its nationals in Turkey: Get out now

Counter-Terrorism Bureau cites ‘real and immediate’ threat of terror attacks, following Istanbul bombing, Turkish intel on IS plots targeting Jews.

April 8, 2016

Israel’s Counter-Terrorism Bureau issued in a rare statement Friday night repeating a recent travel warning calling on Israelis to avoid visiting Turkey, and urging those currently there to leave as soon as possible.

“Following a situational assessment, we are reiterating and sharpening the high level of threat in Turkey,” a statement from the bureau said.

"Real and immediate terror threats remain throughout the country,” the statement continued, urging Israelis in Turkey to “avoid crowded tourist areas, follow instructions of local authorities and get out as soon as possible.”

"There are immediate risks of attacks being carried out in the country, and we stress the threat applies to all tourism sites in Turkey,” Israel‘s counter terrorism bureau said in a statement.

It is interesting that a number of other cruise lines are NOT avoiding the area.

Having been to Turkey several times in recent years I don't think we'll look to returning until things are quieter. But I regret that fact since it's such a fascinating area.

Still, there are many areas we have NOT visited! So it's not like there is no where to go ...

Mura

After reading this I do not know why anyone would want to go anywhere in Turkey, or why any cruise line would put their passengers in danger by going there. All cruise lines have a basic duty to keep their passengers and crew sate and going to Turkey at this time is sure taking a major risk that could come back to bite them in the a....

It is interesting that a number of other cruise lines are NOT avoiding the area.

Perhaps it would be most interesting to see what the "number" is against what was originally scheduled.

I just saw this posted on another thread, right after a poster from another country posted a map of a Turkey with the areas his country said to avoid- and he pointed that those areas were nowhere near the tourist areas..

Emergency Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Public Squares and Docks in Istanbul and Antalya

April 9, 2016

The U.S. Mission in Turkey would like to inform U.S. citizens that there are credible threats to tourist areas, in particular to public squares and docks in Istanbul and Antalya. Please exercise extreme caution if you are in the vicinity of such areas.

http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/sm_040916.html

Edited by happy trailer

After reading this I do not know why anyone would want to go anywhere in Turkey, or why any cruise line would put their passengers in danger by going there. All cruise lines have a basic duty to keep their passengers and crew sate and going to Turkey at this time is sure taking a major risk that could come back to bite them in the a....

Who cares what lines or companies are going...thats beside the point that them ignoring reality for PR or profit..... You can always find someone doing something with our regard ... It dosent take brains to be dangerous or get in trouble.

The point being that I am in no way even going near the country or region. Its called being responsible and logical.... not all are.