Leatherman, Swiss Army Knife & O'Maras

Mach1

A few questions to the wise:

I have cruised a few times before (as noted by sig) usually with my sister.

My DH wants to know if he can bring his average size Leatherman and Swiss army knife on the ship. He knows he would have to check them on the plane. I'm in the camp "just leave them at home" but said I would check with the "experts"

I have never brought neither, what is the results?

NEXT QUESTION:

I know RCI lets you bring wine, not sure on the exact amount (as never done that either), but has anyone had success with O'Mara's -it is a dessert wine from Costco similar to Bailey's....But with WINE and not alcohol....as in hard liquor like Bailey's....

Thanks so much

~Anna

And if he feels the overwhelming need to "McGyver" something, either call the engineers onboard, they're pretty good at that, or bring duct tape, a spare toothbrush, 2 AA batteries, and some dental floss (all are allowed), and he can make his own Leatherman onboard. :D

... I know RCI lets you bring wine, not sure on the exact amount (as never done that either), but has anyone had success with O'Mara's -it is a dessert wine from Costco similar to Bailey's....But with WINE and not alcohol....as in hard liquor like Bailey's....

Thanks so much

~Anna

If the bottle looks line a wine bottle, it will probably get by. If they inspect it and they discover it is fortified wine, then it may be refused.

Leave them at home.... they supply silverware in the dining rooms.

I doubt he was planning to use them in the dining room........:rolleyes:

I had a leatherman a few years ago and was called down off the ship to security they'd spotted it in the xray in our checked baggage. Then he ran it back and forth a couple times in the machine again didn't see it that time..... I guess bottom line is they aren't allowed and you might not get it onboard. I haven't bothered bringing it again. Ridiculous for the 2.5" blade on a leatherman, but those are the rules:rolleyes:

My husband is also in the "never leave home without it" camp, but even he leaves his Gerber at home. (Like a Leatherman.) Its not worth the risk of having it confiscated and not getting it back.

As for the wine, I don't know, sorry. (Sounds tasty though!)

Safe travels, Sam :)

Out of all my cruises, around 30+- I do not keep count, I have only had it confiscated twice. Once, a smaller version was given back to me, luckily it had scissors in it and trying to find scissors on the ship is a PITA. We, if internationally travel/cruise, usually spend 2-4 week before and after, so I take a camping combo of fork/knife/spoon for both of us and last trip to Europe, I was called to the naughty room and I willing showed it to to the guy at the desk and he just said, keep it in your room, with a smile. Never showed him the swiss army knife.

I really wonder why the have such rules, you can barrow a steak knife from the MDR any time which is over the limited size of knife blade.

PS the Blade site limit is under 3 inches.

My husband packed his leatherman in his suitcase, not realizing it was something he couldn't bring onboard. They saw it and we were called down to pick up the bag - minus the leatherman. Had to wait in line plus he didn't get his bag until later in the evening.

They did tag it and we got it back when we departed but instead of enjoying our first night we were stuck in line at security.

*Can* he take a leatherman? Yes/maybe.

Is taking it allowed? No. (Depending in the version of the tool.)

I took a Leatherman Wave on 5 different cruises before I was called to the naughty room. They confiscated it and then returned it when I disembarked. I honestly wasn't trying to sneak it onto the previous ships. I normally carry it all the time, but packed it in my checked bag since we were flying. I even told the guy who confiscated that I'd taken it on previous cruises. At the time I was somewhat surprised that they cared since it doesn't have a very large knife blade on it.

It occurred to me after that 6th time when I got 'caught' that the difference was in how I packed it. I've since stopped taking it with me as I rarely used it onboard, but I'm confident I could take it if I was so inclined.

My recommendation is that if he really feels he needs one, have him get one of the travel friendly (TSA compliant) versions of a multi-tool. They don't have a knife but they do have scissors smaller than the RCCL allowed 4".

I took a Swiss Army Knife last time. I took it on board with my carry on bag and no one noticed it at the San Juan pier. Next day I took it off ship, but ship security saw it in my back pack when I came back and took it. I was able to pick it up after we cleared customs. It was in a box with several other Swiss Army knives. There was a rubber band wrapped around it with my cabin number so I know it was mine.

If the bottle looks line a wine bottle, it will probably get by. If they inspect it and they discover it is fortified wine, then it may be refused.

O'Maras definitely looks like Bailey's, I'm sure that is by design. [emoji6]

As far as Leatherman or Swiss Army, I have seen them at the confiscated table when you get off of Freedom.

FWIW, here is the wine screw I bring in Port Canaveral. 2" blade.

b9383a91a78cf53c597649d20b8c3872.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I always take my Swiss Army knife with me, and have never had it confiscated. On the last cruise, it proved useful because the hinges on the closet doors and the drawer pulls were all loose, and the nut driver with Phillips head made short work of getting everything tight. Also the rungs on the ladders to the upper berths were full of loose screws, which I also fixed.

I always take my Swiss Army knife with me, and have never had it confiscated. On the last cruise, it proved useful because the hinges on the closet doors and the drawer pulls were all loose, and the nut driver with Phillips head made short work of getting everything tight. Also the rungs on the ladders to the upper berths were full of loose screws, which I also fixed.

I think that's one of the reasons they don't want people having these tools, because they don't want passengers trying to be do-it-yourself-ers on the ship. While you may have done a good thing by tightening up some loose screws, I'm sure there have been times that passengers decided to "fix" something themselves and ended up doing something they shouldn't have. ;)

They enlist 'illegal drugs' THREE times. Probably this is more common than I thought.

I believe baileys is 17% alcohol and O'maras is 15%.

I sometimes bring a small bottle of baileys on board as I really enjoy a little in the evening sitting on the balcony.

Instead of stuffing socks in my packed shoes, I stuff miniatures of Baileys. Nothing like sitting on the balcony in the evening with a Baileys.

Thank you for all of your replies, some of them were very witty!! :p I will have my DH just leave them at home.

As for the O'Mara's yes it is in a plastic bottle and it does look like Baily's more than wine. Who knows, maybe if it is plastic and I pack it with my other tolities it might not be a big deal?

We always have a glass of it at sail away. Yes we have the drink package, but it's nice to have in our room. ;)

~Anna

Thank you for all of your replies, some of them were very witty!! [emoji14] I will have my DH just leave them at home.

As for the O'Mara's yes it is in a plastic bottle and it does look like Baily's more than wine. Who knows, maybe if it is plastic and I pack it with my other tolities it might not be a big deal?

We always have a glass of it at sail away. Yes we have the drink package, but it's nice to have in our room. ;)

~Anna

Stopped in the wine aisle of Publix this afternoon. All they had was O'Rileys, probably the same.

00413cbb65d9d5353caf2fe57040ce71.jpg

9dd88155d3297ac15e85e0db5cee9e87.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk