My Time Dining

sellwingri

On most Princess ships it is actually hard to make reservations. Sometimes they will let you call in the morning for that day, sometimes the maitre d will let you make reservations for the whole cruise. As often as not they won't take reservations between 6:30 and 8:00.

In general you just show up. If you want a two-top you might have to wait. If you want to eat with other folks it is often just walk-in.

One caveat: If the dining room opens at 5:30 (this varies), it will likely fill by 6:30. So if you show up at 7:00 there won't be any seats available and they will give you a beeper. Same as a shore restaurant. If you like to eat after 8:00 there is almost never a line. Some cruises people like to eat early, some cruises they eat late - you can't tell until you get onboard.

Also, several ships use one dining room for fixed early seating and then open for Anytime after that. So space doubles at around 7:30. If there is a line at one dining room the other might not have one.

When I have anytime dining if I have to get a beeper and wait I just go have a drink. I see no reason to stress about it.

I agree that the 5:15 time slot is just too darn early. Our last cruise was 17 days and we chose early seating. When we got onboard we found they had moved it to 5:15. We're booked for anytime dining in June.

Your personalizer allows you to request three different fixed dining times: 5:15, 6:00 or 8:15. On many ships the 6:00 is often moved up to 5:45 (and thus the last seating to 8:00) but you generally don't find that out until boarding. If the OP originally requested 6:00 and it was already full when they booked they should have been placed on the waiting list, not automatically switched to 5:15. If you booked with a TA and they told you only 5:15 is available rather than waitlisting you for 6:00 they did not do their job. You have nothing to lose in putting your name on the wait list for 6:00; if you do not clear, see the Maitre d' at boarding and you still might get it, or else you can just switch to ATD then.

We usually select early seating but were assigned 5:15which is just too early so we switched to anytime dining. Are reservations required or suggested? Will we have to wait in line? We're on the Coral Princess in May.

No reservations required or suggested.

Anytime means anytime.

Just show up when you want.

Last Cruise the MyTime Dining was a long line mess. Not interested in the beeper go get a drink concept. Back to traditional and sp restaurants or go the lazy route with buffet or RS.

Just sayin'

Barbara

The options are 5:15, 5:45, and 8:00 in addition to anytime dining. When I switched from 5:15 to 5:45 it says I'm 7th in line on the wait list so I switch to anytime.

It is still nearly two months to your cruise. You will very, very likely clear that list, possibly within a few days of selecting 5:45 if you chose to.

The options are 5:15, 5:45, and 8:00 in addition to anytime dining. When I switched from 5:15 to 5:45 it says I'm 7th in line on the wait list so I switch to anytime.

If 5:45 pm is not to early for you, go ahead and request the 5:45 time. If you are 7th, you may get it. If not, you will be in anytime.

If you are in anytime, you can usually request a reservation for 5:45 or 6:00 pm. If you have requested 5:45 and not gotten it, they will probably make you a standing reservation for 5:45 or 6:00 if you request it.

Your personalizer allows you to request three different fixed dining times: 5:15, 6:00 or 8:15. On many ships the 6:00 is often moved up to 5:45 (and thus the last seating to 8:00) but you generally don't find that out until boarding. If the OP originally requested 6:00 and it was already full when they booked they should have been placed on the waiting list, not automatically switched to 5:15. If you booked with a TA and they told you only 5:15 is available rather than waitlisting you for 6:00 they did not do their job. You have nothing to lose in putting your name on the wait list for 6:00; if you do not clear, see the Maitre d' at boarding and you still might get it, or else you can just switch to ATD then.
I wouldn't say it is the TA's fault.

For about the last six cruises, the 6:00 PM Traditional Dining time is a myth.

Last cruise (3 weeks ago) we were CONFIRMED at 6:00, but when we got our cruise card it said 5:15. The MaitreD was unable to get us the table size we wanted at the 5:45 sitting (there was no 6PM sitting) and we ended up going to the 8PM dining. This turned out to be too late.

We eventually switched to Anytime half way through a 14 day cruise. However, at no time were we able to get a table for 2, including the one time we arrived late at 8PM. That night our table was the last one in the whole restaurant with people dining.

I am convinced that Princess' scheduling system for dining is broken, so don't give up, but see the MaitreD ASAP when you board, and he will do what he can to accommodate you. He is a really nice guy.

I wouldn't say it is the TA's fault.

For about the last six cruises, the 6:00 PM Traditional Dining time is a myth.

Last cruise (3 weeks ago) we were CONFIRMED at 6:00, but when we got our cruise card it said 5:15. The MaitreD was unable to get us the table size we wanted at the 5:45 sitting (there was no 6PM sitting) and we ended up going to the 8PM dining. This turned out to be too late.

That is essentially what happened to us on our Panama Canal cruise as well. We found that we had been switched to 5:15 which really is crazy early.

We cruised on the Coral Princess last month with one other couple. We both had anytime dining. We made dining reservations each morning for a table for 4. We were given a choice of either 5:30 or 7:30. We selected 7:30 every evening. We were seated each evening with only a few minutes wait. Without reservations, there is usually a line and a wait unless you are willing to sit with a large group.

We sat with a large group the first couple of evenings and found that a table of 8-10 made our meal almost 1 hour longer. Service for a table of 4 was much faster.

Mike

We just completed our first Princess cruise. We do not like a set time to eat, and we always eat alone (no, we're not awful bores, we just like to have a very leisurely, quiet dinner). Our usual routine is to go to a bar with live music around 7:30 or so, have a drink, and then go to dinner. From everything I had read on these boards, I feared we would have a significant wait (and perhaps have to have another drink or two:eek:). In fact, the first evening when we arrived at 8, we were asked if we would like to share and we said no. We were nevertheless immediately seated at a two-top. Unfortunately, the server rushed us with our dinner. One course immediately followed the next, and we were done very quickly, which is not what we wanted. The next night we were again seated at a two-top immediately (this was probably closer to 8:15), and we specifically asked the servers to serve us very slowly. Same problem as the first night. The third night, this time again closer to 8, I spoke to the maître d' and told him we had not been happy with the service. I asked him to please tell the servers we were not planning to go to a show after dinner and we wanted to eat at a leisurely pace. He put us at a two-top next to a French Canadian couple, whom were absolutely loved sitting next to for the rest of the cruise, and he told us that table was ours for the rest of the cruise. Thereafter, we did not even check in; we simply walked into the restaurant, once at well before 8, and went directly to our table. For all the comments of how Anytime Dining is a problem for many, we found it to be perfect. In June, we're sailing on the Pacific Princess, and, while we love the small ships, I sure wish we had the option of Anytime Dining on that ship. Hopefully our dining style will fit nicely with the late seating. Bottom line, though: if you like eating late (8 or after), you'll have no problem getting a two-top with no waiting. __________________

So if I'm reading these posts correctly, if I wait list for 5:45 and it's not available when we board, we'll be switched to anytime dining? My biggest fear is that they'll assign me back to 5:15.

Even if they do, you can always switch to Anytime once on board. Seems like you have nothing to lose.

We usually select early seating but were assigned 5:15which is just too early so we switched to anytime dining. Are reservations required or suggested? Will we have to wait in line? We're on the Coral Princess in May.

This refers to the night time meal only,not breakfast or lunch.

I say bring your patience with you. I have tried Anytime dining 3 times and its not for me, but......... Glad we have a choice.

It varies from ship to ship as how Anytime really works. Sometimes you can make a reservation sometimes not. Sometimes there is a line and sometimes not. They don't always give you a beeper,sometimes you just wait in line until they seat you.

Just call the DINE line from any ship phone(cabin or around the ship) and try to make a reservation for when you think you want to dine and see what happens. Same for just showing up to the Anytime dining room(s),just see what happens. You need to be flexible with ANYTIME.

Just look at your patter-newsletter and see which rooms are scheduled for anytime and go to one of those when you wish.

Julie

We have used anytime dining in all our cruises. We have never made a reservation. We usually go to eat between 5:30 and 6 and are never in a hurry. We also always tell them we are willing to share a table (in anytime dining, you are not assigned to a table-you can share or not. If you share you will be placed at a table for 6, 8 or 10. after a few nights they might not be strangers.)

Telling them you are willing to share makes things a lot easier for them and the do appreciate that. After a few days they get to know you and tend to put you in interesting spots around the MDR.

As for waiting, We've gone down and had maybe 20 people in line ahead of us and have waited no more than 5 or 10 minutes to get in.

Only one week did we have to wait with the pagers. That was a Super Bowl cruise with a large group (over 1000).

Another advantage of anytime is the entertainment schedule. We have decided to go to an early show and eat dinner at 8:00 or 8:30. Anytime lets you do that if you want.