Sweden Archipelago

I have heard that it is very nice to be on deck while the ship sails into and out of the port of Stockholm, to see the Archipelago views. We are on the NCL Star in June and will sale out of Stockholm at 4 pm. We have dinner reservations for 6pm. I am wondering if we will have enough time to see the view before going for dinner?

Going through the archipelago was one of the best cruise related memories of all time. My husband and I ordered room service and sat on our balcony and watched for hours.

The arrival to the archipelago was on of the few times I set my alarm to wake up extremely early... The sun was going up and the light on the islands was amazing. Lovely.

We were on the Star 2 years ago, and had a lovely view (and excellent meal) at Moderno during the sailaway from Stockholm. It was pretty empty, so we always had an easy time getting a table near the window. If you are going to splurge on a specialty restaurant, this is a great night to do it! Have a wonderful cruise.

Here is an approximative route used by the bigger ships; http://kartor.eniro.se/m/vChxM

The pilot will usually disembark at Tjärven http://kartor.eniro.se/m/6IgcR which marks the end of the sail out.

Then since your cruise is in June, you can expect very long days with almost 20 hours of daylight (if the weather is nice).

So you should have plenty of time to enjoy the journey after your dinner.

http://www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/sv/sun/sverige/stockholm/2016/juni

The narrowest passage will be Oxdjupet (about 1½-2 hours into the sail out) and then Furusund towards the end of the sail out.

Edited by Desdichado62

On our itinerary we are in Stockholm from 8am to 6pm.

1. What time should I be up for sail in?

2. Our itinerary has "cruising the archipelago" the following day after our departure from Stockholm, is that correct? Wouldn't we depart this area the night we leave?

It is not marked as an overnight stop.

On our itinerary we are in Stockholm from 8am to 6pm.

1. What time should I be up for sail in?

2. Our itinerary has "cruising the archipelago" the following day after our departure from Stockholm, is that correct? Wouldn't we depart this area the night we leave?

It is not marked as an overnight stop.

1. sometime around 2-3am if you want to watch the entire sail in but it depends when your cruise is, since if it is dark you won't see much.

Also see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49131801#post49131801

2. I don't know. Which ship and when is it due?

Edited by Desdichado62

1. sometime around 2-3am if you want to watch the entire sail in but it depends when your cruise is, since if it is dark you won't see much.

Also see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49131801#post49131801

2. I don't know. Which ship and when is it due?

1. ok will watch the end bit and the sail away :D

2. We are on the HAL Koningsdam due in on the 28th June- actually just double checked the itinerary, the cruising archipelago is the same date they just added an extra line - my fault, sorry:rolleyes:

Will be back with more questions, thanks for providing this great thread

Just a note.

While enjoying the sail thru the Archipelago is great from your balcony, unless you have a rear or corner balcony, you are missing half the enjoyment. You really should be on an upper deck where, preferably aft, where you can see the entire sweep of this magnificent sailing. Why limit yourself to half a viewing by remaining in your room, on your balcony.

Here is a short video from an aft deck.

http://vid834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1374.mp4

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

• 4 weeks later...

This may be a stupid question, but do you sail through the archipelago coming into and going out of the port? Asking this because sometime you may be sailing into the port from one direction and leaving in another (ie entering from the North and then heading South for the next port). I am sailing the Baltic in July and just wondering if we need to get up super early in the morning of if the evening cruise will be the same.

I apologize if that's a stupid question.

This may be a stupid question, but do you sail through the archipelago coming into and going out of the port? Asking this because sometime you may be sailing into the port from one direction and leaving in another (ie entering from the North and then heading South for the next port). I am sailing the Baltic in July and just wondering if we need to get up super early in the morning of if the evening cruise will be the same.

I apologize if that's a stupid question.

Most ships have to use the northern route (Furusund/Tjärven) but the smaller ships can also arrive/depart via the Sandhamn (Revengegrundet) fairway.

I don't think any cruise ships uses Landsortsleden but I am not sure.

Size restrictions for Sandhamnsleden is max length 245m, max breadth/width/beam 32,31m max depth is 11m. Bigger ships then that have to use the northern fairway via Tjärven/Furusund.

But use the lots info website to check your ship.

Also see these posts:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49472866&highlight=furusund#post49472866

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49131801&highlight=sjofartsverket#post49131801

Edited by Desdichado62

Hope you don't mind Desdichado if I add a clarification for those not familiar with the Swedish geography.

What Desdichado says here is this (in other words):

Near Stockholm there is just one sea-line but some 2/5 out through the archipelago the the sea-line divides so there is an alternative route for smaller ships ( less than 800 feet) that wants to go South East towards for example Germany or Latvia. The main route continues North East towards Finland. But both routes continue through the archipelago.

So yes, you will always have to go through the archipelago but for smaller ships you might possibly go though different parts of the archipelago on the way in than on the way out.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. And thank you Desdichado62 for those links.

Hope you don't mind Desdichado if I add a clarification for those not familiar with the Swedish geography.

What Desdichado says here is this (in other words):

Near Stockholm there is just one sea-line but some 2/5 out through the archipelago the the sea-line divides so there is an alternative route for smaller ships ( less than 800 feet) that wants to go South East towards for example Germany or Latvia. The main route continues North East towards Finland. But both routes continue through the archipelago.

So yes, you will always have to go through the archipelago but for smaller ships you might possibly go though different parts of the archipelago on the way in than on the way out.