ANTHEM - What's going on with DD/Classic Dining?

Now see, this statement makes me think the change is a bunch of bologna. Is it possible that this is all just a rumor or is this change really going to happen?

You have to remember that the phone reps are usually looking at the same system info you have access to online. So if it looks sold out to you it may very look sold out to them - but they have no better idea why than you do.

You have to remember that the phone reps are usually looking at the same system info you have access to online. So if it looks sold out to you it may very look sold out to them - but they have no better idea why than you do.

Ahhh. Ok..Got it. :)

My reply was to the poster (and subsequent ones that quoted that post) that said there were no seatings before 7:30PM, not yours. And again, DD Choice not being available at all is more likely an IT glitch and not an indication that there's a change coming. Some sailings show all sold out when RCI is doing some inventory shuffling - a day or two later, everything is back to "normal".

I'm coming up 2 weeks on and a mock booking for my September 8th cruise still only offers late seating with a LOT of cabins still bookable, to a point that I don't think there is enough spaces in late seating as a whole to cater for all the cabins that are yet to be booked

There was nothing available earlier than 7:30 in the 4 main dining rooms for our October 6 Anthem cruise. However earlier times were available for Coastal Kitchen, and specialty restaurants. I agree with you…it is odd.

Let me clarify the intention of my post.

I feel that it is "odd" that, on two different cruises that are still months away, nothing was available before 7:30 in the 4 main dining rooms on any night

We've been on three "Dynamic Dining" cruises (2 Quantum and 1 Anthem) and had absolutely no difficulty booking 6:00 or 6:15 before boarding. When booking for this cruise (at least a month ago) I was surprised at the consistency in which 7:30 appeared on every night…..I even thought it was odd at that time.

Solarium Bistro: a couple of days ago I went back into my reservation and easily switched my "main dining room" reservations to 6:00 in Coastal Kitchen AND Solarium Bistro (which is currently a complimentary dining area for all guests).

All of this led me to make the statement that I think it is odd.

(Hopefully this clarifies my other post).

Edited by beachnative

Just a week ago there was plenty of places within 6 o clock and then suddenly nothing before half 7, that certainly is unusual

Maybe not if the changes that are being reported actually happen. Royal will need to merge the reservations that passengers that had DD Choice in the two restaurants that will become traditional into the two MTD restaurants. They can easily manage the numbers of traditional reservations as they will know how many spots they have available in the two traditional restaurants, which may explain why "classic" is available.

Hopefully if/once the announcement is made and after several months (remember Royal's IT) to get everyone already with reserved dining straightened out then the dining options for those with MTD will be clearer. Hopefully they will try to merge existing reservations for those now with choice and not just cancel everything and have those booked have to reselect their dining choice and make new reservations...but you never know. :D

Plus as others have said only a percentage of space is available for pre-booking and I believe that might be adjusted as the cruise gets closer, while still leaving a certain percent available for on board booking. Royal may also need to get a handle on groups to get them situated before opening up dining in either choice/MTD and classic/traditional. Chances are more early times will be available and dining options will open up closer to the cruise regardless if DD stays or goes.

Now see, this statement makes me think the change is a bunch of bologna. Is it possible that this is all just a rumor or is this change really going to happen?

Based on the source of the information, being someone who is actually on the ship now, who has access to the officers, and who has endeavored to give completely accurate info on this forum for years, I trust the info.

This is what I leaning towards as well. It seems like the reps are just telling me the same thing I can see online, when I'd just like some sort of straight answer as to what's going on. You'd think the reps could have a better answer than "yep ... all sold out"

I'll be interested to see what happens to my 7:15 reservation in the Solarium Bistro. If that gets moved to a main dining room then I'll be very disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel that it is "odd" that, on two different cruises that are still months away, nothing was available before 7:30 in the 4 main dining rooms on any night

We've been on three cruises (2 Quantum and 1 Anthem) and had absolutely no difficulty booking 6:00 or 6:15 before boarding. When booking for this cruise (at least a month ago) I was surprised at the consistency in which 7:30 kept appearing on every night.

Yup, I'm right there with you on this. I'm a very experienced vacation planner (but not with RC). Even with Disney, I was experienced with getting up at midnight and booking dining at the theme parks 180 days out.

While I've never planned on RC, nothing available on my November cruise before 7:15 in the 4 main rooms on any night has me head scratching ...

But I agree that it could be some sort of system wide reservation issue

Edited by Brocktoon623

Based on the source of the information, being someone who is actually on the ship now, who has access to the officers, and who has endeavored to give completely accurate info on this forum for years, I trust the info.

Ok, then I am going to believe it, because I know that there are a handful of you that are never wrong. So....I shall watch and prepare. I am very surprised however, that officers would leak this type of info. Look at all of the uproar here because of it.

Just my two cents..assuming this will take place, it is really a shame. The one thing we DID love on the Breakaway, was visiting different venues every night at OUR leisure. I think most of the loyal RCCL pax would have enjoyed it also.

Ok, then I am going to believe it, because I know that there are a handful of you that are never wrong. So....I shall watch and prepare. I am very surprised however, that officers would leak this type of info. Look at all of the uproar here because of it.

Just my two cents..assuming this will take place, it is really a shame. The one thing we DID love on the Breakaway, was visiting different venues every night at OUR leisure. I think most of the loyal RCCL pax would have enjoyed it also.

That is why guests who hear such things should be very careful about whether or not to repeat it…especially on Cruise Critic.

I'm coming up 2 weeks on and a mock booking for my September 8th cruise still only offers late seating with a LOT of cabins still bookable, to a point that I don't think there is enough spaces in late seating as a whole to cater for all the cabins that are yet to be booked

A combination of it being still far out and the RCI's focus on sooner sailings could explain that away. Many sailings' DD looks sold out, yet when you get on the ship you can get into a DD venue within a reasonable wait time. As with a lot of things with RCI, thankfully, the onboard product is a lot better than the IT system front end you see (and sometimes the phone reps you talk to) before the cruise.

Edited by Biker19

I'll be interested to see what happens to my 7:15 reservation in the Solarium Bistro. If that gets moved to a main dining room then I'll be very disappointed.

I don't see the Bistro being added to the mix - they'll need that to relive the crowding of the 4 main venues.

We've been on three "Dynamic Dining" cruises (2 Quantum and 1 Anthem) and had absolutely no difficulty booking 6:00 or 6:15 before boarding. When booking for this cruise (at least a month ago) I was surprised at the consistency in which 7:30 appeared on every night…..I even thought it was odd at that time.

Solarium Bistro: a couple of days ago I went back into my reservation and easily switched my "main dining room" reservations to 6:00 in Coastal Kitchen AND Solarium Bistro (which is currently a complimentary dining area for all guests).

All of this led me to make the statement that I think it is odd.

(Hopefully this clarifies my other post).

Gail, something is definitely odd. We're not cruising till Nov and honestly didn't have a problem with DD reservations for 8 people - all bookings are for DD and we also booked solarium bistro for 2 nights. Wonder what's going to happen to our reservations now.

Not sure I'm understanding this right. Is SB going to be for Suites and P's only along with CK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that THIS is absolutely the heart of the issue.

A FB friend also currently onboard yesterday confirmed the identical details from the executive chef on board.

A FB friend also currently onboard yesterday confirmed the identical details from the executive chef on board.

Also, I don't get the impression that these details are meant to be confidential.

Yup, I'm right there with you on this. I'm a very experienced vacation planner (but not with RC). Even with Disney, I was experienced with getting up at midnight and booking dining at the theme parks 180 days out.

While I've never planned on RC, nothing available on my November cruise before 7:15 in the 4 main rooms on any night has me head scratching ...

But I agree that it could be some sort of system wide reservation issue

I'm having the same issue with my November 20th cruise...nothing available before 7:15pm even in the specialty restaurants. Only thing I could get an early reservation for was Solarium Bistro. Hoping it's some system issue...

I'm having the same issue with my November 20th cruise...nothing available before 7:15pm even in the specialty restaurants. Only thing I could get an early reservation for was Solarium Bistro. Hoping it's some system issue...

That may be because the 5:30 and 6:00 and even the 6:30 reservations may be booked and they are not able to turn the tables over before 7:30 or 8. If they allot 2 hours dining time per table top, the earliest they could turn over a table booked for 5:30 would be 7:30.

The change will be happening based on the email responses I received from RC.

So may I suggest everyone relax a little and see how they plan on rolling out the changes. Maybe the delay in announcing the change is to have a system in place to adjust everyone's reservations. I know we all booked with a certain Dining Plan in mind, however sometime things change. The cruise is not all about food, and a changed menu should not ruin anyone's vacation.

For those that just want a "Food Cruise" check out the article on the new RC cruise advertised in "The Onion"!!

Edited by dedosr

Gail, something is definitely odd. We're not cruising till Nov and honestly didn't have a problem with DD reservations for 8 people - all bookings are for DD and we also booked solarium bistro for 2 nights. Wonder what's going to happen to our reservations now.

Not sure I'm understanding this right. Is SB going to be for Suites and P's only along with CK?

I don't know the answer to that however the trustworthy person currently on board posted that as one of the things that she had been told.

I changed all of our dinner reservations to Coastal Kitchen and Solarium Bistro because on the Quantum and Anthem we like the menu in those two restaurants very much. If they system changes and reports are good about the 4 Main Dining Room we will not have regrets.

On our last 4 cruises on the Oasis we never went to the Main Dining room and ate all our meals in either Coastal Kitchen or specialty restaurants because we like the service and food.

Edited by beachnative

For those that are on the ship and have been told about this was there any information on what the menus are changing to? Are they going to be the same as other RCCL ships or will it be something like, night one current Silk menu in the all four restaurants, night two chic menu in all four restaurants, etc. We were looking forward to the different menus.

Edited by jonj

Also, I don't get the impression that these details are meant to be confidential.

This person was doing the standard galley tour, with a large group of people. The executive chef was clearly trying to get the word out.