Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

I have tried to avoid using the laundry bundles....not sure what happens...do your clothes get mixed in with a lot of others?

Do they actually pay any attention to washing instructions....as in warm not hot water for example?

I know that sounds pernickety but I'm a very fussy washer and use different cycles etc etc. and would probably just wait till I got home.

We were on the Celebrity infinity last year on a south american cruise and there was no self service laundry on board so just did hand washing.

Generally pax laundry is done in different, smaller machines than the ship's laundry. Some do individual cabin loads, some use mesh bags to segregate, and some use iron on labels. Generally, wash instructions are not followed, so only "sturdy" items should be sent out.

As this is a thread on noro, all linens and laundry from cabins of passengers and crew that have reported AGI will be washed in separate, special temperature and chemical cycle "medical" washing machines.

I have tried to avoid using the laundry bundles....not sure what happens...do your clothes get mixed in with a lot of others?

Do they actually pay any attention to washing instructions....as in warm not hot water for example?

I know that sounds pernickety but I'm a very fussy washer and use different cycles etc etc. and would probably just wait till I got home.

We were on the Celebrity infinity last year on a south american cruise and there was no self service laundry on board so just did hand washing.

I haven't the slightest idea, since we just put in t-shirts, pajamas and underwear. It doesn't matter what they do with it, as far as I am concerned.

MIke, I love this summation. It mirrors my experience on other cruise lines when Noro was an issue. Almost everyone carried on with their business and had a good time.

The online handwringing about Noro precautions began on the Riviera transatlantic. While i was not on that cruise we met two couples who were and they vehemently disagreed with "the world was ending" commentary as posted on cruise critic.

I look forward to your full report.

Could you point out some of those specific world is ending postings? As one that was actually on that cruise I only saw people posting the truth as to what occurred.

I do agree one has to keep a positive attitude.

Could you point out some of those specific world is ending postings? As one that was actually on that cruise I only saw people posting the truth as to what occurred.

I do agree one has to keep a positive attitude.

I don't recall those exact words but I do recall phrases like "the cruise (or ship) from Hell".

Some posts suggested that noro occurrences are under-reported because a lot of passengers dont want to incur huge medical bills especially when no medication is effective and the only solution is to wait it out plus hydration. If they dont seek medical help then I assume no one would be aware that someone was sick?

On a ship's tour (not Oceania) we visited the laundry. Each cabin's laundry was sorted into bags according to washing instructions. The bags were marked with the cabin numbers and then put into a machine with bags from other cabins. The machines were huge!

After seeing this I wouldn't send my clothes to the laundry - I too prefer to do it myself if I need to.

An interesting fact - the passenger linen was all white, whereas the crew linen was lemon and was laundered separately.

Thank you for your very reassuring review of Riviera. So glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise. Love to read your reviews.

I was on the March 3rd to 13 cruise where Noro never reached the CDC requirement to report and we were in Code Red for 4 or 5 days. After reading some of "the sky is falling" reports, I did wonder what kind of cruise I would have in comparison to my previous O cruises. Like you, it was just a few minor inconveniences that didn't in any way spoil my cruise.

:DI did think the world was ending when I ate in Jacques a second time and they brought a plate of cheese to me instead the the rolling cart:D I just love looking at all those amazing cheeses and choosing which ones I want the most.

thank you for this post .. i will be sure to save room ...

I don't recall those exact words but I do recall phrases like "the cruise (or ship) from Hell".

Nice to see that this thread seems to be coming to a close. Enough said. Good healthy cruising from now on. :):):)

Nice to see that this thread seems to be coming to a close. Enough said. Good healthy cruising from now on. :):):)

Some of us who are about to go on the transatlantic are still very concerned. The good news is that we haven't heard anything in the past few days but the bad news is that while checking another thread I came across a post that said there were several cases on the Riviera in early March after the ship was sanitized but the numbers did not warrant a report to CDC.... so it looks as if there have been cases for a large part of Feb and March.

Anyway all we can do now is to keep fingers crossed...and bring plenty of wipes.

Some of us who are about to go on the transatlantic are still very concerned. The good news is that we haven't heard anything in the past few days but the bad news is that while checking another thread I came across a post that said there were several cases on the Riviera in early March after the ship was sanitized but the numbers did not warrant a report to CDC.... so it looks as if there have been cases for a large part of Feb and March.

Anyway all we can do now is to keep fingers crossed...and bring plenty of wipes.

To be honest, I can't remember a single cruise when NO AGI cases were reported, when I was working the ships.

We tried the laundry "bundle" once and was unhappy. My DH's new polo shirt came out several shades lighter. It seemed that the machines were very rough on clothes.

No hysteria, just reality. Can't keep putting all this on the passengers. There has to be something else going on here also.

Totally agree.

Also, the statement, "One often reads here about glass half full and glass half empty people", depends on if you were one of the 100+ people that got sick, spend a horrible day vomiting & with diarrhea, only then to be quarantined to their rooms for anywhere from 3-6 days with terrible room service. Add to that, the fact that you missed a port (Aruba wouldn't let us enter) and then not allowed off the ship in to additional ports because you were once sick. I guess the half full part could be "I'm happy I survived this cruise".

I think it is not a question of whether you are a glass half full or empty type person. I believe that it is more difficult to stay positive for those who don't have the good fortune to cruise on a regular basis and spend a large amount of cash on a yearly or special cruise. A Code Red experience is very unpleasant. People who cruise frequently can afford to have a better outlook simply because they know they have several trips planned. Also, it is easier to have a better outlook when you've sailed regularly with O and know what the experience is normally like.

I think it is not a question of whether you are a glass half full or empty type person. I believe that it is more difficult to stay positive for those who don't have the good fortune to cruise on a regular basis and spend a large amount of cash on a yearly or special cruise. A Code Red experience is very unpleasant. People who cruise frequently can afford to have a better outlook simply because they know they have several trips planned. Also, it is easier to have a better outlook when you've sailed regularly with O and know what the experience is normally like.

You make a good point.

I beg to disagree about the Code Red experience being very unpleasant. It was a minor inconvenience that became routine. Granted, the cruise was not as elegant as we expect from O; but it was still a very enjoyable cruise. Had I been planning on using the Artist Loft, Culinary School, Concierge Lounge, Executive Lounge or Library, I would have been disappointed about that. But those were never areas that we planned on using in the first place. Everything we were interested in was fully functional.

I beg to disagree about the Code Red experience being very unpleasant. It was a minor inconvenience that became routine. Granted, the cruise was not as elegant as we expect from O; but it was still a very enjoyable cruise. Had I been planning on using the Artist Loft, Culinary School, Concierge Lounge, Executive Lounge or Library, I would have been disappointed about that. But those were never areas that we planned on using in the first place. Everything we were interested in was fully functional.

And I beg to disagree to disagree. I was tired of the constant hand sanitizer, goop being on everything, no laundry facilities. I did not like at all going to Polo and my only choice of steak was well done.

And I beg to disagree to disagree....I did not like at all going to Polo and my only choice of steak was well done.

Disagree3 (trying to express cubed). Was on the March 20 Ghostbusters Cruise, yes virtually everyone at one point was slimed. However, as regards Polo, visited three times and there was no restriction as to meat preparation. Nor Jacques nor Toscana....

Edited by Goldmann
Typo

Hi!

We also ate in Polo 3X and all my steaks were prepared medium. The food was prepared according to our directions in Toscana(2X), Reg Ginger(1X) and Jacques(3X). The crew worked extra hard and were still smiling and helpful to the passengers.

Rhea

P.S.We still enjoy sailing on Oceania and booked 4 more cruises wwhile onboard. We now have a total of 8 upcoming cruises.

And I beg to disagree to disagree. I was tired of the constant hand sanitizer, goop being on everything, no laundry facilities. I did not like at all going to Polo and my only choice of steak was well done.

Every steak we had in all th restaurants was medium rare. I did have to have a well don hamburger at waves.

I agree ... you make an excellent point ... We are first timers and this is a special cruise ...not one we can take every year ...so I am hoping that by 4/25 the slime and closures will be done

yes we will still have a good time even if the slime and closures are there but we cannot help feeling cheated of the TRUE O EXPERIENCE if this is the case.

Agree 100%

While looking around on Cruise Critic I came across this link it's multi pages of photos of the Riviera, I am impressed and my wife is excited to board her.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm

Tonight she looks to be headed to the Virgin Islands

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:2764817/zoom:10

While looking around on Cruise Critic I came across this link it's multi pages of photos of the Riviera, I am impressed and my wife is excited to board her.

http://www.thepreismans.com/riviera_mayan.htm

Tonight she looks to be headed to the Virgin Islands

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:2764817/zoom:10

I believe that "MVP in Boynton" is the photographer/blogger you have discovered - and greatly admired around these boards!

(I will be corrected if wrong)

Donna