Riviera on Code Red again

MVPinBoynton

Thank you for continuing to be a voice of logic and reason rather than hysteria.

No hysteria, just reality. Can't keep putting all this on the passengers. There has to be something else going on here also.

I'm not saying that that many boarded sick, I'm showing how many people could be sick on ships homeporting out of Miami, and there would be no public awareness of it. And yes, the two outbreaks on Riviera were at the higher percentages, but still only 222 people. My point is that Riviera is highlighted as 3+% outbreaks simply because she is a smaller ship, and the percentage is reached quicker.

Good luck explaining that to RJB. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying that that many boarded sick, I'm showing how many people could be sick on ships homeporting out of Miami, and there would be no public awareness of it. And yes, the two outbreaks on Riviera were at the higher percentages, but still only 222 people. My point is that Riviera is highlighted as 3+% outbreaks simply because she is a smaller ship, and the percentage is reached quicker.

You can play with the numbers all you want to come out how you want them to but the fact is there are many smaller ships that board in South Florida that do not have 3% or more sick passengers. (Seaborne, Silver Sea, Regent Navigator and the R ships from Oceania) And a few I have not thought of. Even though they take LESS people than Riviera they do not reach the 3% level. I think your numbers have little value and we need to find a different answer than the passengers.

No, it didn't stop, even though there were no new cases. I assume they wanted to make sure the ship was clean.

thank you for posting

sorry you had to deal with that your entire vacation but it is good to hear they are taking it seriously

thank you for posting

sorry you had to deal with that your entire vacation but it is good to hear they are taking it seriously

It really didn't take that much away from our vacation. Plus it did prevent the spread of noro to us and the other passenger. The biggest issue to us was not having munchies in Martinis; which probably saved us a lot of calories. :D The other procedures were a minor inconvenience that once you got used to them it wasn't an issue for us. Most people we talked with felt the same as us; but there were some people that thought the world was ending and they deserved a free cruise for the cruise from Hell. After reading some of the posts on the earlier Code Red cruises, I was expecting a much worse experience. We personally appreciated all the extra work the crew did for us to keep us healthy. Plus most of the employees were still very friendly, smiling and anxious to make our cruise an enjoyable experience, which it was.

It really didn't take that much away from our vacation. Plus it did prevent the spread of noro to us and the other passenger. The biggest issue to us was not having munchies in Martinis; which probably saved us a lot of calories. :D The other procedures were a minor inconvenience that once you got used to them it wasn't an issue for us. Most people we talked with felt the same as us; but there were some people that thought the world was ending and they deserved a free cruise for the cruise from Hell. After reading some of the posts on the earlier Code Red cruises, I was expecting a much worse experience. We personally appreciated all the extra work the crew did for us to keep us healthy. Plus most of the employees were still very friendly, smiling and anxious to make our cruise an enjoyable experience, which it was.

You deserve a gold star for today because of your amazing positive attitude and outlook. I will be doing the same when I board Riviera in July.

Edited by JVNYC

You deserve a gold star for today because of your amazing positive attitude and outlook. I will be doing the same when I board Riviera in July.

Then I believe you too will have a wonderful cruise. Enjoy the lovely Riviera.

Thank you for providing a realistic picture of the situation. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your cruise.

Thank you for your very reassuring review of Riviera. So glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise. Love to read your reviews.

I was on the March 3rd to 13 cruise where Noro never reached the CDC requirement to report and we were in Code Red for 4 or 5 days. After reading some of "the sky is falling" reports, I did wonder what kind of cruise I would have in comparison to my previous O cruises. Like you, it was just a few minor inconveniences that didn't in any way spoil my cruise.

:DI did think the world was ending when I ate in Jacques a second time and they brought a plate of cheese to me instead the the rolling cart:D I just love looking at all those amazing cheeses and choosing which ones I want the most.

Thank you for your very reassuring review of Riviera. So glad to hear you enjoyed the cruise. Love to read your reviews.

I was on the March 3rd to 13 cruise where Noro never reached the CDC requirement to report and we were in Code Red for 4 or 5 days. After reading some of "the sky is falling" reports, I did wonder what kind of cruise I would have in comparison to my previous O cruises. Like you, it was just a few minor inconveniences that didn't in any way spoil my cruise.

:DI did think the world was ending when I ate in Jacques a second time and they brought a plate of cheese to me instead the the rolling cart:D I just love looking at all those amazing cheeses and choosing which ones I want the most.

You are most welcome. I am working on the full review with photos and listings of the Code Red inconveniences. You obviously have great self control for not raising a ruckus about no cheese cart.:D

MVP,

One often reads here about glass half full and glass half empty people.

You are most definitely one of those glass half full people - not just by saying so but by actually acting like it.

Kudos to you and thank you for your past reviews (looking forward to the latest on Riviera).

Everyday life must be so much more pleasant for people like you with such a positive attitude.

Edited by Paulchili

I think a lot of hysteria has been created on this thread, when as you can see even if the ship goes Code Red, it's not the end of the world and the cruise can still be greatly enjoyed. I've also sailed on cruises that have gone Code Red. Yes there are some minor inconveniences but a great cruise can still be had. I've even contracted noro on a cruise and still managed to enjoy myself for all but about 24 hours. It wasn't the end of the world. I realize no one wants it to happen, but life happens and sometimes you have to make the best of it.

I spoke with our travel agent today and she has phoned Oceania several times for updates. She keeps being put on hold - someone comes on and then states that the last outbreak of noro was in February and that afterwards the ship was sanitized. Nothing since then!!

This is crazy since the latest outbreak was reported on CDC!

It is very worrying that Oceania is in denial mode.

I do appreciate reading all the postings which have tried to put a code red into perspective but nevertheless I find it very troubling that Oceania is actually denying that there was an outbreak on the cruise that just ended.

Perhaps agents haven't been briefed but that in itself is troubling...they should be prepped to handle such inquiries.

MVP,

One often reads here about glass half full and glass half empty people.

You are most definitely one of those glass half full people - not just by saying so but by actually acting like it.

Kudos to you and thank you for your past reviews (looking forward to the latest on Riviera).

Everyday life must be so much more pleasant for people like you with such a positive attitude.

Thank you Paul. You are most correct that I do enjoy life quite a bit. I have been so blessed to be able to travel to so many wonderful places in the world.

MIke, I love this summation. It mirrors my experience on other cruise lines when Noro was an issue. Almost everyone carried on with their business and had a good time.

The online handwringing about Noro precautions began on the Riviera transatlantic. While i was not on that cruise we met two couples who were and they vehemently disagreed with "the world was ending" commentary as posted on cruise critic.

I look forward to your full report.

Question for anyone on recent sailings with reported noro... was the laundry facility closed the entire cruise or did it become available at some point?

They laundromats were closed after we went Code Red on day 3 and they remained closed for the rest of the cruise. However they had a laundry bundle package for $24.99 they would wash and fold 20 items. It was originally only to be allowed the first couple days; but was extended for the full cruise due to the laundromats being closed.

I have tried to avoid using the laundry bundles....not sure what happens...do your clothes get mixed in with a lot of others?

Do they actually pay any attention to washing instructions....as in warm not hot water for example?

I know that sounds pernickety but I'm a very fussy washer and use different cycles etc etc. and would probably just wait till I got home.

We were on the Celebrity infinity last year on a south american cruise and there was no self service laundry on board so just did hand washing.