Oasis vs. Freedom class

Good morning!

We are sailing Liberty in 10 days (and I've been on both Freedom and Independence). We are discussing booking our next cruise while on board of course, and I've been researching options for a cruise in October and debating between the Oasis and Freedom.

Anyone have any comparison/pro&con between the two ships if you have sailed both classes?

Good morning!

We are sailing Liberty in 10 days (and I've been on both Freedom and Independence). We are discussing booking our next cruise while on board of course, and I've been researching options for a cruise in October and debating between the Oasis and Freedom.

Anyone have any comparison/pro&con between the two ships if you have sailed both classes?

Oasis class is similar in that it has the Royal Promenade, Flowrider (2 of them), and cantilever whirlpools. However, it has many other things that Freedom does not have, like the Aquatheater, zipline, Central Park, Boardwalk, dedicated comedy venue, dedicated jazz venue, covered solarium (with the mini solarium pool:rolleyes:) and over 20 different food venues.

Oasis class is similar in that it has the Royal Promenade, Flowrider (2 of them), and cantilever whirlpools. However, it has many other things that Freedom does not have, like the Aquatheater, zipline, Central Park, Boardwalk, dedicated comedy venue, dedicated jazz venue, covered solarium (with the mini solarium pool:rolleyes:) and over 20 different food venues.

Yes, I read all about the differences. Was looking for some personal experience between the two ships :)

Yes, I read all about the differences. Was looking for some personal experience between the two ships :)

I've been on both ships. I feel like Windjammer is more crowded on Oasis class. I also don't like the need for show reservations on Oasis, but I understand that with 6000+ guests, they have to have more than the traditional two shows per evening. I did like the wide variety of food venues on Oasis. I much prefer the balcony stateroom design on Freedom over that on Oasis.

Edited by clarea

I've been on both ships. I feel like Windjammer is more crowded on Oasis class. I also don't like the need for show reservations on Oasis, but I understand that with 6000+ guests, they have to have more than the traditional two shows per evening. I did like the wide variety of food venues on Oasis. I much prefer the balcony stateroom design on Freedom over that on Oasis.

Thanks for your feedback!

We generally don't book a balcony with the five of us because of price

But I did notice it looks like there are a lot of 'standard' state rooms with a 3rd Pullman AND a sofa bed

Thanks for your feedback!

We generally don't book a balcony with the five of us because of price

But I did notice it looks like there are a lot of 'standard' state rooms with a 3rd Pullman AND a sofa bed

The sofa bed is pretty small. I would not want to put two adults in that bed. Two smaller children, no problem.

We have done Oasis, Allure and Freedom 2x. There is nothing like the big girls. They are amazing and we spent the week going where is everyone. Yes for sure there are times its crowded after muster, embarkation day, but every ship feels crowded at those time.

I was shocked at how well the neighborhoods manage the flow of people. Since your siggy says you have already done Freedom do Allure or Oasis or Harmony, its an experience.

Should be no problem.:)

Good to know....makes trying oasis a better choice for us more than likely since we could cancel my husbands reservation as late as two weeks before if he doesn't get leave approved.

We have done Oasis, Allure and Freedom 2x. There is nothing like the big girls. They are amazing and we spent the week going where is everyone. Yes for sure there are times its crowded after muster, embarkation day, but every ship feels crowded at those time.

I was shocked at how well the neighborhoods manage the flow of people. Since your siggy says you have already done Freedom do Allure or Oasis or Harmony, its an experience.

Thank you! If the price is right I think that's what we will do

How were the pools during sea days?

My kids will be 11, 9 and 6 :)

Given the ages of the children, I think you will find that there is so much more for them on the Oasis class ships. I absolutely LOVE both classes, but honestly, for the active family, I just don't think you can beat the O class.

Enjoy ! You won't be disappointed with either one.

I've sailed the Liberty and Allure. Both were "the latest and greatest" when I sailed each of them, and I felt the crowd more on the Liberty, particularly in the WJ. The Allure had way more shows, and I absolutely loved having the ability to pre book all shows and spa appointments. I would certainly sail a Freedom class ship again, but if all things were equal for itinerary, pricing, etc, between a Freedom class and an Oasis class, I'd go Oasis class every time.

Good morning!

If you go to my profile and find the threads I've started here, my last review of my 2015 Freedom cruise was a comparison to Allure. It finally came down to I like them both, there are things I like better for each. Since you will be on Freedom and having tried the other two, book Oasis, Allure or Harmony. Chances are you will love it. I booked Freedom specifically in 2015 because we were doing western and I wanted to stop in Grand Caymen, which the Oasis class doesn't. In 2016 our 35th anniversary I booked Oasis because my wife wants to see CATS and I want to do Eastern this year. I would happilly go on either again.

Edited by BillOh
typo

Oasis' Sorrento's pizza offers a made to order personal pizza.

Freedom's Windjammer is less crowded IMO

I like the Ocean view of Chops on Freedom vs the Park view on Oasis.

Given the ages of the children, I think you will find that there is so much more for them on the Oasis class ships. I absolutely LOVE both classes, but honestly, for the active family, I just don't think you can beat the O class.

Enjoy ! You won't be disappointed with either one.

My kids will be 11, 9 and 6 :)

Have you looked at booking 2 (connecting cabins)? I actually find the cabins on oasis to be SMALLER (less square footage) than similar categories on other ships.

Last time we sailed Oasis, we found it pretty tight/cramped with 4. We had a great deal on our November sailing which allowed us to book 2 balconies for less than what we paid for 1 the last time we sailed Oasis.

Have you looked at booking 2 (connecting cabins)? I actually find the cabins on oasis to be SMALLER (less square footage) than similar categories on other ships.

Last time we sailed Oasis, we found it pretty tight/cramped with 4. We had a great deal on our November sailing which allowed us to book 2 balconies for less than what we paid for 1 the last time we sailed Oasis.

This is how we normally book, and my parents come with us, however, they will not come if we go in October.

My husbands work does not always allow flexibility for time off and we don't know if he will be local or out of town this far out, so booking in one room for October is ideal for us because I have up until two weeks before the trip to cancel only his reservation if the rest of us are still traveling (just did this as he will not be joining us next month) so 'dealing' with five of us in a room for the week is worth the risk of him potentially not going and me paying four full price fairs when I didn't need to

Edited by Lynn1179

Have you priced out a Boardwalk view? Can see the ocean a little, people watch, and the aqua theater. You could have the divider opened up and have one large balcony.

Yes, the Windjammer is much more crowded on the Oasis. But there are many other places to eat as well. I think people forget that when they board.

It's so large, but only times feels crowded as mentioned. The shows are superior IMO. You would probably never see your kids :D

My vote is for Oasis!

I've sailed on both classes a few times. I have trips booked on the Allure and Harmony coming up in the next 16 months.

The ships are both incredible. The only thing the Freedom class does better than her big sisters is connecting you to the sea. On the Freedom class, you can see the ocean from the Schooner bar, outdoor promenade deck and helipad. On the Oasis class you are limited to a stateroom balcony,pool deck, or behind the aqua theatre- and this isn't always accessible .

Oasis class has better shows and more of them,more dining options and manages the crowds in a more efficient manner. Having to pre book shows never bugged me.

I have sailed on both classes. I did a B2B on the Freedom & Indy last spring and have been on Oasis twice. I have 5 cruises booked right now, all Oasis (2) or Freedom Class (Liberty x 1, Freedom x 2). I have never sailed on a smaller RCL ship and not sure I could convince hubby to even try one lol.

I found there are more similarities than differences as far as the FEEL of the ships. The RP is similar, the pub is virtually identical, many of the activities are the same, etc. The Oasis class definitely has more venues as noted above. I also prefer the WJ on the Freedom class, but I cannot exactly define why. One reason I guess is that they have sushi - you have to pay for sushi on the Oasis (if it is free somewhere other than Izumi, I have yet to find it, so if you know where it is let me know - I sail in two weeks!).

For venues, I much prefer On Air on Oasis and Oasis has Dazzles which is a great little club to watch live music and dance. I like Schooner on both, but prefer Oasis because of the additional seating. Sorrento's is way better on Oasis because of the additional choices and the make your own option. I find Cafe Promenade also better on the Oasis. Freedom class does not have Park Cafe which we eat at alot on the Oasis Class and we always miss when we are on the Freedom.

If anyone in your party smokes cigars, Oasis does not have a dedicated Connoisseur Club, the area to smoke on the Oasis is outside by the pool. DH is not really a smoker but does smoke cigars when on vacation so he does miss the club when on the Oasis.

Of course the Oasis also has the Aquatheatre which not only has the Aqua show but also offers a great location to watch live sporting events if there are any big ones when you are travelling. We have been on the Oasis on November twice and they always show at least one Sunday NFL game as long as there is no show going on.

All in all, I would sail either one in a NY minute, it would probably come down to price. I do not think I would spend more to go on one vs the other. If the price and itinerary were the same, I think I would also have difficulty choosing.

If you have never tried the Oasis class I would definitely do it at least once to see how you like it. I think your little ones would really enjoy it :)

Edited by Canadian Disney Mom

Have you priced out a Boardwalk view? Can see the ocean a little, people watch, and the aqua theater. You could have the divider opened up and have one large balcony.

Yes, the Windjammer is much more crowded on the Oasis. But there are many other places to eat as well. I think people forget that when they board.

It's so large, but only times feels crowded as mentioned. The shows are superior IMO. You would probably never see your kids :D

My vote is for Oasis!

This is actually what I've been pricing during my research :)

I'm not a huge fan of the Oasis ships. The one personal observation that stuck with me was how I felt as if I was in a floating Las Vegas hotel for an entire week - and not on an cruise where I'm connected to the seas.

The Freedom class is my personal favorite for all the reasons mentioned above.