Small staircase in Crows Nest

frankc98376

Captain Albert mentioned a starboard staircase from Crows Nest to Sky Deck on Koningsdam today.

I've noticed on Vista ships there is a staircase on the starboard side of Crows Nest that goes down to the hallway by the gym- staircase is always roped off. Anyone know what the original intent was for this staircase?

I assume easy access to that sun/observation deck up there.

Here's the picture that shows the "silver bubble" he spoke of:

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/uploads/entertainment/CrowsNest2_20160107_1920x1080.jpg

The "bubble" looks like a convex mirror in the photo. Is it 3-D or flat on the opposite side (one wonders)?

Is that on Port side looking aft??
Since Capt Albert said the silver bubble hides the stairs up to the Sky deck, it has to be the starboard side looking forward. The coffee counter must be behind the partition on the left. Edited by jtl513

It is possible that these stairs are simply emergency exits ;)

Not just only a 'possible'... that is EXACTLY what is... EMERGENCY EXIT. There is only one entrance to the Crows Nest. Likewise the Gymnasium... the spiral tower goes up to 10 Deck.

Is that on Port side looking aft??

Since Capt Albert said the silver bubble hides the stairs up to the Sky deck, it has to be the starboard side looking forward. The coffee counter must be behind the partition on the left.

For the sake of shipboard accuracy - port and starboard are always relative to facing forward.

and can we just take a moment to appreciate how gorgeous this version of the Crow's Nest is?

http://koningsdam.hollandamerica.com/uploads/entertainment/CrowsNest1_20160107_1920x1080.jpg

I agree it's beautiful. My personal opinion though...I don't like how HAL puts those inward facing couches along the windows. Again, just my opinion.

For the sake of shipboard accuracy - port and starboard are always relative to facing forward.

I don't see anything wrong with how they are using port and starboard; "port side looking aft" indicates which side of the ship as well as the which direction one is facing on that side - forward or aft.

I don't see anything wrong with how they are using port and starboard; "port side looking aft" indicates which side of the ship as well as the which direction one is facing on that side - forward or aft.

I guess they will start using UP DECK and DOWN DECK.... depending on what direction the elevators are going!

Port is always port and starboard is always starboard, no matter if you're facing forward, aft, sideways, up, down, or swimming alongside the ship. This whole "facing forward" thing is something I've only ever heard on cruise ships. I can't fault them though. Most passengers aren't mariners so I guess it's an easy way to describe it.

No, for the sake of accuracy, port and starboard have nothing to do with which way anyone is facing. Which side is port or starboard, and which way you're facing, are two separate and independent bits of information. The starboard side of the ship is always the starboard side, regardless of which way you or anyone else is facing.

Port is always port and starboard is always starboard, no matter if you're facing forward, aft, sideways, up, down, or swimming alongside the ship. This whole "facing forward" thing is something I've only ever heard on cruise ships. I can't fault them though. Most passengers aren't mariners so I guess it's an easy way to describe it.

On cruise ships I can see that it makes it easier for non-sailors to think about direction when dealing with port and starboard. In the South African Navy we were introduced to it by the phrase "there is no port left". Non-sailors may think about it as "port is the left side of the ship when I am looking at the pointy end".

The two posts that we are arguing about were not trying to figure out which side is port and which is starboard, they were asking in which direction a picture was taken: "is the angle of this picture on the starboard side of the Crow's Nest the one you see when looking forward or towards the back?". (I guess we won't confuse it more by bringing in terms like "abaft"!)

Hence, I see no issue with how LAFFNVEGAS and jtl513 used it. :D

No, for the sake of accuracy, port and starboard have nothing to do with which way anyone is facing. Which side is port or starboard, and which way you're facing, are two separate and independent bits of information. The starboard side of the ship is always the starboard side, regardless of which way you or anyone else is facing.

But when you are facing forward (towards the bow or pointy end), port is always left and starboard is always right. So "port and starboard are always relative to facing forward" is correct. [emphasis mine]

;)

Edited by Boytjie

But when you are facing forward (towards the bow or pointy end), port is always left and starboard is always right. So "port and starboard are always relative to facing forward" is correct. [emphasis mine]

;)

Nope; starboard is starboard and port is port regardless of which way anyone is or is not facing. Whether port is on your left-hand side may depend on which way you're facing, but one of the specific reasons the terms "starboard" and "port" are used is because they are explicitly NOT relative to facing forward or aft or any other direction.