Beware, No Power Strips Allowed

No outlaw...just smart.

That's just incredibly misguided in terms of what was said.

There is virtually no risk whatsoever in using a UL approved surge protector on the ship, so your misleading statement is just that. Anyone who claims there is any risk to others is simply uniformed. As for being an expert - I am one when it comes to this kind of electronics. I don't profess to be one on ship's electronics, but stating that there is any danger using a UL approved surge protector anyplace, anytime is simply wrong.

Just for kicks...I called an associate at our company who is an IEEE certified electrical engineer, and when I told him about these claims he thought I was joking. Then he told me that "whoever is making such claims has no clue about these devices or how they can be used". Enough said. End of conversation.

And therein lies the problem.

No outlaw...just smart.

There is virtually no risk whatsoever in using a UL approved surge protector on the ship, so your misleading statement is just that. Anyone who claims there is any risk to others is simply uniformed. As for being an expert - I am one when it comes to this kind of electronics. I don't profess to be one on ship's electronics, but stating that there is any danger using a UL approved surge protector anyplace, anytime is simply wrong.

Just for kicks...I called an associate at our company who is an IEEE certified electrical engineer, and when I told him about these claims he thought I was joking. Then he told me that "whoever is making such claims has no clue about these devices or how they can be used". Enough said. End of conversation.

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This article has been quoted already, but I thought it worth noting again, since you are pointing to UL ratings. Top of page 2, bullet point 2: 'There is no official Underwriters Laboratory standard for Marine Surge Protective Devices despite numerous

retailers advertising “UL Marine 1449.”'

Edited by hapster85

LMBO! But, how would you get the hamster certified as a service animal so that you could legally bring HIM on board? :D:D:D

Easy, even in a still photo you can easily see that hamster is providing a service. :p

That's an expansion and broad translation of my point.

I understand that the ship power ecosystem is different than land-based power sources and distribution. It's also different in automobiles...yet...power protection is commonplace in the latest auto electronics include expensive GPS, audio systems, and computer-based technology. While generally DC power based...there are some AC conversion electronics onboard some automobiles.

I certainly don't know as much about electrical systems as you and Chengkp75. So my question is pretty simple. If you are right and they are perfectly safe to use on board, then why would the Coast Guard have issued a warning in the first place? Why would the cruise lines prohibit them?

Without really being able to speak first hand to all the interesting electrical knowledge, I find myself wondering about the simple business question. If they are not a risk, why the ban? It's not like the cruise lines sell "approved" surge protectors, or somehow profit from keeping them off the ship. Don't you think it must be they have some concern?

Then he told me that "whoever is making such claims has no clue about these devices or how they can be used". Enough said. End of conversation.

Dang, these threads would be a lot shorter if you just passed everything by this dude from your work! Forget all the articles and safety posts from the Coast Guard and people actually educated in NAVAL electronics. Could you ask him about how to deal with chair hogs, people saving seats for shows and who should have a passport? Then we can close all those as well.

Well, maybe that is why my extension cord gets through. It is not a lamp type cord. Still, how much amperage can a phone, a camera, and a laptop generate. I'm not bringing an iron, a heater, and an oven.

No, but the breaker for the circuit is rated at 15-20 amps and so every item attached to the circuit must be capable of carrying that much current.

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

This article has been quoted already, but I thought it worth noting again, since you are pointing to UL ratings. Top of page 2, bullet point 2: 'There is no official Underwriters Laboratory standard for Marine Surge Protective Devices despite numerous

retailers advertising “UL Marine 1449.”'

That is absolutely correct, but UL 1449 (not marine) does include chapters on proper grounding of surge protectors and the additional requirements for using these surge protectors in specially grounded systems like marine applications.

No outlaw...just smart.

And I would ask that this IEEE engineer study the standards that I've referenced, he should have them available at work, or easily obtainable, since they cost to download for me, and have him look at these standards in relation to a floating ground system. He may also want to look at the US Navy's MIL spec quoted in the USCG report, though that already incorporates ASTM 1507. He may also want to inquire of the marine engineering departments at the various state maritime universities, the Naval Academy, the USMMA, and as I've said, the USCG's Cruise Ship National Center of Expertise, which is a think tank of experts the USCG has tapped to study cruise ship safety.

I've even gone back and found the post where I gave another CC member the contacts that cavediving used in his research:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47247425&postcount=93

I'm sure one of these people will gladly discuss this with your friend.

And I'd sure like to hear his take on why they are being banned on cruise ships if they are completely safe.

... Just for kicks...I called an associate at our company who is an IEEE certified electrical engineer ...

My understanding is that the states certify electrical engineers, not the IEEE.

That takes minutes, not all day. Why would you download updates on a ship?

I usually take a power strip. I don't leave my devices out while out of the cabin. I charge at night. Which requires more than two outlets. One is in use all the time with a travel clock, I like to glance at the time when I get up at night, phone would be too bright. My point is not everyone can get by with two outlets.

Sort of figured you might be a member. Nice that they have a "contact site", so hoping for a response today before the holiday weekend.

Another thing to consider is that EE is a very wide field, and someone could be certified (or have over 40 years experience), and still not be a power engineer.

Actually, I checked the RCI website for prohibited items, and electrical extension cords are there. Not sure how recent a change.

I called and was told by Royal Caribbean that any electrical cord are prohibited, do not bring one it will be confiscated.

My understanding is that the states certify electrical engineers, not the IEEE.

That's correct Bob.

IEEE is a professional association, representing members nationwide, but they have their own certification program.

Without continuing down this rabbit hole, the point is that when someone with extensive expertise/credentials questions the validity of claims regarding surge protection devices being a "risk", at least some of us take notice.

So at this point we know (and seem to all agree):

1) The electrical power ecosystem on ships is different than land-based.

2) The standards for the use of surge protection onboard ships is different than land-based.

3) RCI provides additional (approved by them) power plug expansion devices for passengers.

4) RCI has a policy that prohibits the use of land-based surge protect devices.

Where we respectfully will continue to disagree regarding some of the previous posts pertains to if there is actually any risk using a land-based surge-protection unit on a ship.

A) Some electronics experts have stated that there is absolutely no risk whatsoever in using a land-based surge protection device aboard a ship (or any other AC power location for that matter).

B) Some electronics experts specifically familiar with ship-based power ecosystems feel land-based surge protection poses some form of power risk.

If a passenger conforms with points 3, 4 & B, they are compliant on RCI ships.

We all seem to agree and understand that there is an RCI policy against using land-based surge protection devices, and no one is promoting violating that policy, rather, there is simply some legitimate questioning of the foundation of the policy as being valid. I don't see that being resolved here.

Thanks for the additional information, added resources for various positions, and respectful alternative views. :)

I often leave my laptop on all day in my room, especially if I am backing up photos or downloading updates.

I'd be careful doing that. We've returned to our rooms on many cruises, where the door is propped open, and steward nowhere in sight. It wouldn't take long at all for a passenger to walk off with it.

No outlaw...just smart.

So you admit you aren't an expert on a cruise ships electronics but you dismiss claims by someone that actually is and has works for many years on ships in this capacity. Ok. Makes perfect sense.

So you admit you aren't an expert on a cruise ships electronics but you dismiss claims by someone that actually is and has works for many years on ships in this capacity. Ok. Makes perfect sense.

??? Apples and Oranges my friend.

We've been talking specifically about land-based surge protection units used on ships. I am indeed an expert on the units, while another person is acknowledged as an expert on the ship power ecosystem.

Two different things. When they are combined into a single discussion...the plot thickens.

So here's a question without any answer to date - how many cruise ships have experienced a fire from a land-based surge protection unit?

Sitting back to see what surfaces to prove the risk that is inferred by the ship expert. So far in searching the web - the answer is 0.

Thanks.

Whatever the answer I receive from the IEEE, I will post it here.

So, using your analogy, if I were to say that crossing the street has no inherent risk, just because I haven't been hit by a car yet, makes it a valid argument?

I'd still be interested in your take as to why the cruise lines are implementing, and taking the time and cost to enforce a policy that supposedly has no risk to them, and only places your belongings at risk? Especially when it has been shown to annoy guests when their power strips are taken away for the cruise.