How far out do you book?

Foxinspace

I was looking at cruises March 2018 for March Break. My DD will be in Kindergarten so it's the first time we've had to book any vacation around school schedules.

I really wanted Scenic Oceanview rooms and I am willing to be flexible on ship and port in order to get them. Of the 4 ships I think have them only 1 appears to have available.

This is for a shorter (5 day) cruise. I want to avoid this length as we are flying in from Canada and it's hard to justify the cost of the flight for a shorter cruise!

This leads me to ask... How far ahead do you book? If these rooms are already gone, do I need to be pouncing on the first day they announce itineraries??

I mean it's 2 years out, Holy Smokes!!

Because of my work we are limited to very few options. Thus since its set with such rigidity we often book a whole year in advance. Often right after the current cruise ends, for the exact same week a year later.

How far out I book depends on the situation. There are a number of factors. Is there a particular cruise that I want to take. Is there is a specific stateroom I want. What is the size of the ship. etc. The more rigid my desires, the earlier I book. In the past I've booked a cruise anywhere from 14 months to 3 weeks before sail date.

Because of my work we are limited to very few options. Thus since its set with such rigidity we often book a whole year in advance. Often right after the current cruise ends, for the exact same week a year later.

Do you find it hard to get the cabin you want?

Do you find it hard to get the cabin you want?

No, usually plenty of choices I would take. Last time I changed cabins 3 times before we settled.

Only tough cabins would be ones like the 4j and 6S cabins on the Breeze and Magic, there aren't many and go quick.

We like higher up cabins and forward.

So for example Spa Balconies or Lido deck. and forward of the front stairwell.

Depending on the ship of course.

I booked for Feb 2018 last month. It will be our first cruise. I wanted to be sure we got connecting deluxe ocean view rooms. 2 toilets, 4 showers!! I also think we got a good price doing it this way. I did a mock booking to next feb and the prices are close to $100 more per person

March 2018 is probably too far out for you to find all available cruises. Try to wait until late summer/early fall and look again.

I usually book about a year out. And it seems to take forever to get here!

We typically book a year out. Have been know to go out much further - it was almost 2 years for the NCL Escape. :eek:

But because we look the same time of year and specific cabins - aft wraps/Suites - those get snapped up pretty fast.

That being said....we've never had problem securing the cabins we prefer! Pricing is usually better too the further out you are - unless you can wait and book last minute, not being too concerned about location of the cabin.

Edited by happy cruzin

I only like to book my cruises when I am ON a cruise ... so that way I get the BONUS Onboard Credit (in addition to the Shareholder Credit and my TA credit).

My last cruise was a few weeks ago, and I booked FOUR (yes 4!) cruises!

10/2016 - Conquest 8 day Eastern (Balcony, Deck 8)

2/2017 - Vista 6 day Western (Balcony, Deck 7)

5/2017 - Sunshine 8 day Southern (Inside with Picture Window)

9/2017 - Pride Bermuda (Bowling Alley Balcony!!!!!)

I had all these cruises pre-selected. I have found I get the cheapest prices the earlier I book. Plus, with Early Saver I typically end up getting a little more bonus OBC with price drops.

I was lucky that they had the $99 deposit sale when I booked these.

I also pay for my cruises entirely with Carnival gift cards I buy at a 10% discount via Citi/Verizon/AARP/eBay -- I save the gift cards and use all at once for final payment. Those first three cruises are already "paid for" and every couple months i'll buy a few more gift cards for Bermuda ...

In October while I'm on the conquest I'll book my 2-2018 and my "TURNING PLATINUM" cruise for May 2018!!!

Book early if you want any "specialty" cabin!

Hope this helps!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I would call and talk to your pvp. They are able to choose rooms that don't show online.

Saying that we try to book at least a year in advance. We booked cruises for September 2016 and September 2017 in January.

I booked my April 2016 cruise in March of 2015. Man, that countdown was hard to look at back then!

I regards to getting the cabin we want, we don't want much, just a port side balcony that has rooms above and below. Mid, forward or aft doesn't matter much. Those are always available.

I usually book when we have a firm time that we can get off of work and school (if kids are going with us) and know which ship we want to sail. This is usually between 5-8 months out. Having said that we started looking at cruises last July for a cruise in May. We were planning on booking in October when DH would know his vacation availability. Only I got sick in August so instead of booking in October we had to wait for doctors ok to cruise which I just got last month (February) so we booked approx. 3 months in advance. During that time I was watching prices on 6 different ships. The one we booked, CCL Dream had actually gone down in price while the others went up....especially the NCL ones. We have an NCL FCC that needs to be used before Oct 2017 so we decided to start looking at what was available now and book it since it seems their rates went up the most. We wouldn't be out any money now since we already paid the deposit with the FCC and we could still cancel it if the timing didn't work with DH's vacation schedule when it came out in October. So we now have a cruise booked on NCL Escape for Sept 2017. That is the farthest out we have ever booked...but we did get a much better selection of rooms to choose from than we did our CCL Dream one 3 months out.

I tend to book at least a year out. I love having something upcoming and spending the year learning about the islands etc. Part of the fun for me.

I did go a bit overboard for the next two years but I also wanted the grand scenic ocean view. I scored it on two of the year+ out cruises but I did have to call They didn't show as available when looking and are only a little more than the smaller scenic oceanview.

If they aren't showing available call, the person at Carnival also could check different dates so I could find a grand scenic oceanview that was available.

The two I got did not show when I looked myself.

Good luck.

Tcwoah is correct. Are you looking at rooms through a booking engine, or did you specifically ask a Carnival rep or TA. My TA can see all cabins available, so if I don't see the one I want, I have her check, and they are usually there. They only show a few cabins available.

I booked the first day the Vista sailings came out (1/23/15) for 3 legs starting Oct 1, 2016. I was able to get the same 4J cabin for all 3 legs.

I'm using Carnival's website. Your right I haven't seen a single Grand Scenic Oceanview available. While I am sure those get scooped up, maybe they just aren't showing as available, even though they are. We stayed in the GSOC previously and it was amazing. Just did a balcony and I think the extra space serves us better than having the outdoors, so I want to find 2 connected Scenic Oceanviews.

I have a friend whose a TA and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

Thanks everyone!

I am a last minute booker. I just booked a cruise for May of this year. I never have a issue getting a ocean view room but I do have a issue getting anytime dining. Oh well with our jobs and crazy schedules there is not much I can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm using Carnival's website. Your right I haven't seen a single Grand Scenic Oceanview available. While I am sure those get scooped up, maybe they just aren't showing as available, even though they are. We stayed in the GSOC previously and it was amazing. Just did a balcony and I think the extra space serves us better than having the outdoors, so I want to find 2 connected Scenic Oceanviews.

I have a friend whose a TA and I'm waiting to hear back from her.

Thanks everyone!

We changed from a Scenic Ocean View to a Grand Scenic Ocean View. For some reason, Carnival had the GSOV listed as a 2-person occupancy but we needed 4-person. Because I was checking obsessively, as soon as I saw it was available I called my PVP to get changed. He's the one who said they had just changed the occupancy requirements. So another good reason to call your PVP.

My partner has to put his holiday requests in about15 months in advance to ensure we can get the weeks we want so that is the minimum we book in advance but usually 18 months out. We have already booked for November 2017 (Spirit in Australia) but we are taking at least 24 days holiday minimum so want to ensure we can get those weeks off.

We are last minute travelers with no patience. Been on 19 cruises so there isn't much research necessary. We pretty much see a deal and decide to go or not. We are retired now and will get in the car and drive if we can't find a reasonable airfare. Our longest wait was about 14-15 months (it was torture waiting that long so we took another cruise while waiting ) because others going with us needed more lead time. Shortest wait time was a little less than a month.