Britannia negativity

BarnhamDave

I read elsewhere that someone had an illicit peek at the central stairs and reported that they are already carpeted :confused:

Yes but I suspect just the lower floors where they can be used. It's not a massive task to convert them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I read elsewhere that someone had an illicit peek at the central stairs and reported that they are already carpeted :confused:

edit - here it is

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?p=49118384

We were on Britannia in December in a midship cabin.

The central staircase is opened up to use for the muster drill (and real emergencies ) and is very basic, just metal stairs and rails and definitely no carpet above deck 7.I think it would be a big job to change for passenger use.

We didnt find the lack of stairs a problem but it was a bit strange having to get the lift for 1 or 2 decks sometimes..If we thought it was a busy time we walked to the front or back stairs.

We couldn't find anything negative about Britannia if fact as said many time it has a lot of ++++ shower screens, buffet, atrium not being a dance floor.

We just prefer Azura and Ventura the entertainment venues suit us better.

So would be our first choice and maybe we will go on the Britannia in the future if the itinerary or the price suited our requirements better, after all it's still the good old P & O product we know and love.

I took my wife for her birthday on Britannia's maiden voyage to the Baltics and I must say we absolutely loved it. Since then we have been on four other cruise holidays and have heard people say that they didn't like it, but many more have said they loved it. And we will definitely be booking a cruise on her.

My main concern is will there be enough to keep a 15 year old entertained whilst on the ship?!?

Poppins74, do not worry for one minute that your 15 year old will be bored. We spent two weeks on Britannia over Christmas/New Year. Our 15-year-old son signed in to the kids' club on our first afternoon on board shortly before it closed. He then went back there after dinner to get to know some people. He very quickly made friends with a large group - 14-17 year olds, girls and boys. They hung out, played pool, swam... on sea days we never saw him from after breakfast until just before dinner, and then he vanished again until around midnight! He had a great time and begrudged the time he had to spend with us!

Poppins74, do not worry for one minute that your 15 year old will be bored. We spent two weeks on Britannia over Christmas/New Year. Our 15-year-old son signed in to the kids' club on our first afternoon on board shortly before it closed. He then went back there after dinner to get to know some people. He very quickly made friends with a large group - 14-17 year olds, girls and boys. They hung out, played pool, swam... on sea days we never saw him from after breakfast until just before dinner, and then he vanished again until around midnight! He had a great time and begrudged the time he had to spend with us!

Thanks for that,I've just read that to him and he seems pleased with it, Like I've said he is easy going and mixes well so I have no reason to worry really, but this is our first cruise and just needed reassuring. Which I thank you for.

We've just returned from the recent 2-nighter on Britannia. It was a recce as we really like one of her itineraries later in the year. I expressed to having some concerns prior to boarding, but we needn't have worried. Admittedly she is a little big for us but on the plus side, all the public spaces are open and airy, with plenty of seating. We had a great time and are looking forward to cruising on her again. Azura is still my favourite ship, but Britannia and Arcadia (very different ships) are vying for second place - Britannia for 'fun in the sun' but Arcadia for 'the culture vulture' in the Far East.

Thanks for that,I've just read that to him and he seems pleased with it, Like I've said he is easy going and mixes well so I have no reason to worry really, but this is our first cruise and just needed reassuring. Which I thank you for.

I've just noticed that you said there doesn't seem to be much information about activities for teens (for some reasons I seem to be getting slow CC updates). Well, my son's group got involved in a talent contest, scavenger hunt, sports tournaments, quizzes, board and card games, video game tournaments...

There is a dedicated deck area and plunge-type pool at the back of the ship for the teens; however on our cruise it was taken over by adult passengers who refused to move, even when politely asked by the children. They reported it to the kids' club staff, who next day asked the adults to move. Many refused point blank, some did move but returned later. The staff then escalated the complaint and P&O did.... absolutely nothing! It seems wrong that people complain bitterly about teens hogging the main pool area, so P&O give them their own, dedicated space, which they then can't use.

Sounds like he'll have plenty to keep him busy, don't think I have anything to worry about. Seems a shame that P and O couldn't do anything about the "unruly" adults who took over the pool, I think it's a good idea the teens get their own area so they can enjoy themselves without having to worry about being too rowdy and upsetting other passengers.

So glad to hear this, I'm on Britannia later in the year and I read the negative comments with a pinch of salt now. It will be my first cruise and I am SO excited, so will be making my own mind up. I don't mind having to walk for the stairs to each end of the ship because the lifts are full and there's no stairs mid ship, I'm sure I will need the exercise. Please more positive comments to get me even more excited!!!!:)

Can't be more positive than this Poppins...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/03/30/britannia-the-maiden-cruise/

16929790376_5a8ff52505_z.jpg

Edited by Solent Richard

We've just returned from the recent 2-nighter on Britannia. It was a recce as we really like one of her itineraries later in the year. I expressed to having some concerns prior to boarding, but we needn't have worried. Admittedly she is a little big for us but on the plus side, all the public spaces are open and airy, with plenty of seating. We had a great time and are looking forward to cruising on her again. Azura is still my favourite ship, but Britannia and Arcadia (very different ships) are vying for second place - Britannia for 'fun in the sun' but Arcadia for 'the culture vulture' in the Far East.

Any comments on food quality ?

Any comments on food quality ?

Hi, unfortunately I can't comment on the MDR. It was a 2-night cruise; the first night we ate in the Limelight Club where the food was adequate. It was not an extensive menu - one meat main, one fish, one vegetarian. The portion sizes were just right for us though. We didn't have dessert so I can't comment on that either. The second night, we ate in the Glass House which is our favourite. As usual the food was delicious and superbly cooked; we enjoyed steak and battered haddock. Chips were sublime! Again, just the right portion size for us. We didn't have dessert here either; in fact we have been known to go to restaurants just for starters and dessert as we can't manage three courses.

Sorry bee-ess, but having read my response, I don't appear to have been much use :o . Maybe somebody else can help......... However, we really enjoyed ourselves and Britannia exceeded our expectations.

Hi, unfortunately I can't comment on the MDR. It was a 2-night cruise; the first night we ate in the Limelight Club where the food was adequate. It was not an extensive menu - one meat main, one fish, one vegetarian. The portion sizes were just right for us though. We didn't have dessert so I can't comment on that either. The second night, we ate in the Glass House which is our favourite. As usual the food was delicious and superbly cooked; we enjoyed steak and battered haddock. Chips were sublime! Again, just the right portion size for us. We didn't have dessert here either; in fact we have been known to go to restaurants just for starters and dessert as we can't manage three courses.

Sorry bee-ess, but having read my response, I don't appear to have been much use :o . Maybe somebody else can help......... However, we really enjoyed ourselves and Britannia exceeded our expectations.

Thanks for that, glad to hear that you enjoyed the ship.

We are on in 4 weeks and was just interested in the food quality as there was another thread 'P&O Standards' which said that the food quality was poor.

Found this video, gives a really good overview, both good and bad points. Pretty much agree with everything said!

We are on in 4 weeks time and that video makes me a bit apprehensive. Seems to bear out the earlier thread about food quality, that food in the buffet looked really poor quality. I don't know, it seems worse seeing it than reading about it.

We are on in 4 weeks time and that video makes me a bit apprehensive. Seems to bear out the earlier thread about food quality, that food in the buffet looked really poor quality. I don't know, it seems worse seeing it than reading about it.

Sums up exactly what we thought of Britannia with the exception of food in the Peninsular Restaurant which we found acceptable but definitely not as good on our previous P & O cruise on the Azura in 2010. I doubt very much that we will ever sail with P & O again as standards have definitely dropped, perhaps its the same with all the cruise lines but for the moment we will be doing land based holidays and then going back to Celebrity if the right itinerary and price come up.

I was on same cruise as when the video made, I thought it was a fair and honest account. However I disagree with food in the buffet (Horizon).. I found food to be fresh and tasty, had breakfast and afternoon tea in there most days, all good. We also loved the Beach House restaurant, not mentioned in the video, this carried a supplement of only £5 and we really enjoyed the meals in there, located at the back of the horizon at night, really nice atmosphere and great food. My husband paid an additional £2.95 for steak cooked on a lava stone, and well worth it. Would recommend. We would re-book Britannia in a heartbeat, it's not all bad.

Edited by jojo9152

Thank you for posting the video.

Feel rather dejected regarding this ship now. This will be our first ever cruise with P & O and would like to think it wouldn't be our last !

Hate the look of all those sun beds pushed together.

My question to all that have cruised aboard Britannia - is there really enough deck space ?

Always ever hopeful and a cruise / holiday is what you make it. :)

Edited by Shallwe123
Typo

Thank you for posting the video.

Feel rather dejected regarding this ship now. This will be our first ever cruise with P & O and would like to think it wouldn't be our last !

Hate the look of all those sun beds pushed together.

My question to all that have cruised aboard Britannia - is there really enough deck space ?

Always ever hopeful and a cruise / holiday is what you make it. :)

Liked the video but I have to disagree about the food in the MDR.. We had 4 weeks on her in Sep/Oct and on the two tables for 8 no one had cold food or anything they could not eat and enjoy. You cannot take what happens on one cruise on one table as to be the case for all the ship on every cruise.

With regard to small portions, I agree, however if you want a bigger meal just ask. You say the magic words "a large portion please."

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I thought the video was overly negative. e.g. sunbeds-I've not been on any cruise ship where sunbeds were not pushed together. Perhaps the 6 star luxury lines have them spaced but then your paying a much higher cruise fare. Also the complaint re being asked if they wanted a drink. We didnt find this a problem at all last year on Britannia and didnt find the bar waiters pushy at all. Finally, its hard to make buffet food look good on camera unless it is shot before any of the dishes have been disturbed by passengers.