Britannia negativity

BarnhamDave

I thought the video was overly negative. e.g. sunbeds-I've not been on any cruise ship where sunbeds were not pushed together. Perhaps the 6 star luxury lines have them spaced but then your paying a much higher cruise fare. Also the complaint re being asked if they wanted a drink. We didnt find this a problem at all last year on Britannia and didnt find the bar waiters pushy at all. Finally, its hard to make buffet food look good on camera unless it is shot before any of the dishes have been disturbed by passengers.

It did feel overly negative and I agree about the sunbeds, no different to any other ship we have been on. The food though is a bit worrying. there seems to be lots of complaints about the quality and I have to say that buffet food did look pretty uninspiring. We are going on for a week to 'test out' the ship before deciding on a ship for the Caribbean next year, but I do feel apprehensive about the food after seeing that video.

Thank you for posting the video.

Feel rather dejected regarding this ship now. This will be our first ever cruise with P & O and would like to think it wouldn't be our last !

Hate the look of all those sun beds pushed together.

My question to all that have cruised aboard Britannia - is there really enough deck space ?

Always ever hopeful and a cruise / holiday is what you make it. :)

Can only speak the truth as relayed by my BIL, in the knowledge of a potential flaming. The bed problems are real in warmer climes.

For example, the soot problem extends from the stacks to aft. With the further back and higher you go, the more soot is found. Some cheerleaders say "it is cleaned up", but you are still breathing it in, and have it landing on you clothes.

This soot problem pushes the guests forward to escape a sprinkling.

To get a sunbed in a good position in the quiet zone then rise at 06.00 (or earlier) and physically place you beds from the stacks. Other areas you have to move other beds to gain some semblance personal space. Both these actions causes some arguments, which can get heated.

Best to book the retreat to avoid the bed mayhem, and dine in the speciality restaurants for the duration of the cruise.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

It did feel overly negative and I agree about the sunbeds, no different to any other ship we have been on. The food though is a bit worrying. there seems to be lots of complaints about the quality and I have to say that buffet food did look pretty uninspiring. We are going on for a week to 'test out' the ship before deciding on a ship for the Caribbean next year, but I do feel apprehensive about the food after seeing that video.

The problem with testing the food now for next year is that by then the staff will have changed. We had excellent food last October but that does not mean the food will be the same this summer. The staff who were on Britannia may be on Azura.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Would just like to say that we have disembarked Brtitannia today from our repositional cruise (Barbados to Southampton). We have had a fantastic time! Friendly staff, great entertainment, good food, loads to do.... so please do not always believe the negative comments you may read about this ship.

Would add that we are not "1st timers" and have cruised many times with different cruise lines.

Just got to add, that in my experience, I always treat the staff as human beings and find that the service given in return has always been superb.

I have seen some people treat the staff as if they were dirt, and then complain that the staff response is a little cold - nuff said.

Britannia is also a great ship and |I cannot understand the complaints. :)

Would just like to say that we have disembarked Brtitannia today from our repositional cruise (Barbados to Southampton). We have had a fantastic time! Friendly staff, great entertainment, good food, loads to do.... so please do not always believe the negative comments you may read about this ship.

Would add that we are not "1st timers" and have cruised many times with different cruise lines.

Would like to know how the weather is sailing back from Barbados, on the sea days was it still warm enough to sit round the pool. We have been on this ship twice and loved it.Would consider the sail back so not to have the long flight home.

I thought the video was overly negative. e.g. sunbeds-I've not been on any cruise ship where sunbeds were not pushed together. Perhaps the 6 star luxury lines have them spaced but then your paying a much higher cruise fare. Also the complaint re being asked if they wanted a drink. We didnt find this a problem at all last year on Britannia and didnt find the bar waiters pushy at all. Finally, its hard to make buffet food look good on camera unless it is shot before any of the dishes have been disturbed by passengers.

Absolutely not! We have sailed with Disney and Royal Caribbean plenty of times and we have never been crammed in so tightly - most of the sunbathing areas (or sardine areas) were next to the engine so if you are ok with the horrible noise and smell you could find somewhere a little quieter. This video highlights the massive issue of capacity problems - all of the venues were so small and not fit for purpose! We always treat waiters and staff with the upmost respect and with excellent manners, we go out of our way to thank people and talk to people - it was just so hard on our trip with Britannia, it was like pulling teeth just to get them to crack a smile! There were a few outstanding staff but we found them to be few and far between. Most staff looked miserable and not wanting any banter or conversation - just sales, sales, sales focussed. The food well enough has been said, was it ok? Yes but just that - nothing special at all and often cold and boring! I never thought I had high expectations but I guess I do. When I pay £3000 for a holiday (then spend another £1500 on board) I expect value for money!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by jetset763

Absolutely not! We have sailed with Disney and Royal Caribbean plenty of times and we have never been crammed in so tightly - most of the sunbathing areas (or sardine areas) were next to the engine so if you are ok with the horrible noise and smell you could find somewhere a little quieter.

I would have to agree with you re the sunbeds. I think the issue is there are very few small tables by the sunbeds which means the beds are forced together, instead of being spaced apart by the small drinks tables you usually get on other lines.

I would have to agree with you re the sunbeds. I think the issue is there are very few small tables by the sunbeds which means the beds are forced together, instead of being spaced apart by the small drinks tables you usually get on other lines.

I agree. You don't see the "sardine can" sunbeds on RCI, Celebrity or Disney.

I agree. You don't see the "sardine can" sunbeds on RCI, Celebrity or Disney.

mmm, after 4 Celebrity cruises in 2 years and 2 Royal cruises I have experienced the exact sun bed layout as per the video. Maybe Disney is a notch above but we have yet to try them.

mmm, after 4 Celebrity cruises in 2 years and 2 Royal cruises I have experienced the exact sun bed layout as per the video. Maybe Disney is a notch above but we have yet to try them.

As others have said. Usually you have two sun beds and a drinks table.

Britannia it's like you on a battery sunbathing farm with just rows and rows of beds. I had to lay closer to a total stranger then I do my own husband in bed.

Edited by tankmc

We have never been surrounded so tightly like that on a Royal ship! Yes some areas have a lot of sunbeds but not like this. With Britannia it wasn't just 1 or 2 rows of tightly packed sunbeds - it was three layers deep with no tables or anything. You had someone almost laying between your legs, I was almost lying in another persons legs and I had two people next to me so close i could smell what they had for breakfast. We have always been able to move sunbeds together and away from the crowds - there was no room for that on Britannia because they were so tightly packed.

Yes there was one or two areas as an exception but you needed to claim them before 6.30am! Never known anything like it. There were people sunbathing in 9 degree weather after we crossed the Atlantic - absolutely nuts it was freezing!! I remember being sat in Serenity and not being able to move without knocking the woman next to me - 0 elbow space. So uncomfortable.

Edited by jetset763

You get runs of beds but they are usually split up by small tables in between, I know this as I put my book, sun cream, drinks etc on them. Also they are rarely row after row after row like the video. Perhaps we have just been lucky but I doubt it.

To be fair to P&O the last time were onboard it was not like that either. Perhaps worse on Brittania as it has so many passengers.

I also agree with Jean, we haven.t seen this on Fred Olsen or other smaller ships either.

We have just booked a cruise on Britannia and then discovered this forum so,it was a bit of a disappointment to read all the negative comments. As its our first cruise though we shall just wait and see how things are and everyone has different expectations. Just to be off work and on holidays is a huge perk and we have never been disappointed in any holiday we have been on and I'm sure this will be no different.

We have just booked a cruise on Britannia and then discovered this forum so,it was a bit of a disappointment to read all the negative comments. As its our first cruise though we shall just wait and see how things are and everyone has different expectations. Just to be off work and on holidays is a huge perk and we have never been disappointed in any holiday we have been on and I'm sure this will be no different.

We just did a taster cruise on Britannia as I too had read some poor reviews and was a bit anxious about sailing on her. Happily we really enjoyed our 2 nights and there were many positives to be seen, and she exceeded our expectations. Sunbeds weren't an issue as the weather was poor, but it wouldn't bother us anyway because we don't 'do' sunbeds. Didn't use a sunbed on any of our Caribbean cruises; far too busy doing 'stuff'. If you're like us and just love being on holiday, you'll have a fab time :D

Edited by NauticalMiss

I highly doubt that sunbeds are anyones main worry. It's all the small things that a wrong with the ship that add up. Most venues were way too small for that size of ship. Take Anthem for the seas a marginally bigger ship but the theatre has almost 400 seats more. The entertainment Lounges on board are quadruple the size. There are 18 different places to eat. Britannia crammed on so many cabins that there is little room for anything else!

Edited by jetset763

If sun beds is anyone's main worry why do a cruise do a land based holiday.

As I said at the beginning of this thread we had a great time just avoid the negative people.

Unless you sunbathe what else is there to do? Very few daytime activities that repeat every day.

We enjoyed our cruise on Britannia last year and are looking forward to the two booked for this year. As is often said we are all different and like different things. We are not sunbed or entertainment people. We just enjoy mooching about, enjoying the views from on board and the excursions. Plus for us the evening entertainment is a good meal and drinks in a pleasant bar meeting new people followed by a stroll around the ship. Then an excellent night's sleep in a very comfy P&O bed!

We went in the school holidays and there was plenty of room and we always managed to find sunbeds with spaces either side. Perhaps it was us :-) Loved the ship so to anyone new who is worried having read this thread just go and see for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

When this was first posted there was a link to the actual site and so I read it there. Judging by the comments after the review the poster seems to be indicating he's joking somewhat. He still sounds like someone who is a right bore!

Not laughed so much for a while, good sense of humour (I think).

I agree with a lot and laugh at the rest.

I agree with the comments about the Epicurean, we went on my wife's 60th, had the same starter which wasn't great, main course was just about OK and even though the place was over half empty the service was very poor, after the main course we waited about 5 minutes and then I filled our wine glasses myself (having to leave my seat to retrieve the bottle from the wine cooler) and then left without even receiving the sweets menu as we were fed up of waiting.

We could have complained but as this was a special night we didn't want to spoil it by getting to worked up so we just up and left without any questions from the staff.

Sindhu and Beach house and Limelight were great.