WOW! Coffee on Princess is Confusing.

WYTinman

OK, I just booked my first Princess cruise.

Now I'm reading through the threads on this board and am really confused on, of all things... COFFEE.

I have only cruised with NCL in their suites and know their Perks well. (NCL has Lavassa espresso/cappuccino machines in room)

I have a Vista suite booked on the Island Princess. Is brew coffee not available in my suite?

How about French Press in the morning at Sabatini's with breakfast?

Do any Princess cabins have coffee makers?

I like a fresh brewed cup in the morning and a regular drip coffee is fine. But from what I read here I have to go to some coffee shop to get a brewed cup. Is that true?

I get the whole specialty coffee thing. Buy a card get the specialty coffee like "Starbucks". But do I have to pay for brewed coffee?

I know coffee and cards is discussed often on this board, reading through them and trying to figure out what it all means as a new cruiser is confusing.

Thanks.

Mark

Now I'm reading through the threads on this board and am really confused on, of all things... COFFEE.

I have only cruised with NCL in their suites and know their Perks well. (NCL has Lavassa espresso/cappuccino machines in room)

I have a Vista suite booked on the Island Princess. Is brew coffee not available in my suite? No.

How about French Press in the morning at Sabatini's with breakfast? Any specialty coffee, including mimosas

Do any Princess cabins have coffee makers? No.

I like a fresh brewed cup in the morning and a regular drip coffee is fine. But from what I read here I have to go to some coffee shop to get a brewed cup. Is that true? Bring packets of Starbucks Via and order hot water through room service or go to the International Cafe

I get the whole specialty coffee thing. Buy a card get the specialty coffee like "Starbucks". But do I have to pay for brewed coffee? Yes.

I know coffee and cards is discussed often on this board, reading through them and trying to figure out what it all means as a new cruiser is confusing.

Thanks.

Mark

Please see bolded comments.

I have a Vista suite booked on the Island Princess. Is brew coffee not available in my suite? No

How about French Press in the morning at Sabatini's with breakfast?

Do any Princess cabins have coffee makers? No

I like a fresh brewed cup in the morning and a regular drip coffee is fine. But from what I read here I have to go to some coffee shop to get a brewed cup. Is that true? The buffet, room service and the restaurants have coffee at no charge that is made from a commercial syrup. Some people hate it. Some like it. (Many restaurants on land also use coffee made from a commercial syrup. This product comes in various quality levels and Princess might not be using one of great quality.)

Fresh brewed coffee is available at La Patisserie on deck 5.

I get the whole specialty coffee thing. Buy a card get the specialty coffee like "Starbucks". But do I have to pay for brewed coffee? There is a charge for the brewed coffee. If you purchase a coffee card (about $33 including 15% gratuity) yiu can use it to get unlimited brewed coffee at La Patisserie the entire cruise. The coffee card also includes 15 punches for speciality coffees which are available in the dining room and at La Patisserie.

Thanks.

Mark

see above in red

Edited by caribill

Thanks for the quick answer Nina and Caribill

Has Princess never had drip coffee in their cabins, or is this a new thing?

I ask because my impression of Princess was always a tier or two above NCL.

I don't mean to offend anyone but, if Motel 6 can equip their rooms with coffee makers should I not expect similar from the Hilton?

Edited by WYTinman
Added thanks to Caribill

I'll drink the coffee from concentrate when in the dining room, buffet, or from room service. It's not great, but (in my opinion) it's not the horrible swill some seem to make it out to be. I do drink it with sweetener and cream, so that likely helps. Sometimes I'll pay for a speciality coffee at the International Cafe. Coffee is not a deciding factor in my cruise choices.

Before deciding that you have to buy a coffee card, try the free stuff. You might be fine with. I just wish you could get real mugs instead of the tiny tea cups. I find drinking out of those feels awkward!

Thanks for the quick answer Nina and Caribill

Has Princess never had drip coffee in their cabins, or is this a new thing?

I ask because my impression of Princess was always a tier or two above NCL.

I don't mean to offend anyone but, if Motel 6 can equip their rooms with coffee makers should I not expect similar from the Hilton?

We were just on the Sapphire, our 6th cruise with Princess and we feel their service level is cut above NCL. However my big disappointment has always been their coffee. This time I bought the coffee card and last time, on the Diamond in 2014 it was via packets. However I would book Princess again in a heartbeat and just buy the card.

I did include my coffee comments in my post cruise evaluation and hopefully someday they get the idea. If they read this board they should.

I'll drink the coffee from concentrate when in the dining room, buffet, or from room service. It's not great, but (in my opinion) it's not the horrible swill some seem to make it out to be. I do drink it with sweetener and cream, so that likely helps. Sometimes I'll pay for a speciality coffee at the International Cafe. Coffee is not a deciding factor in my cruise choices.

Before deciding that you have to buy a coffee card, try the free stuff. You might be fine with. I just wish you could get real mugs instead of the tiny tea cups. I find drinking out of those feels awkward!

I have retired from both the Military and Law Enforcement and have had my fair share of coffee concentrate.

I am by no means a "Coffee Snob" and generally don't order specialty Coffees.

But I do prefer regular brew over concentrate.

It's partly the smell of coffee brewing in the morning that brings me full awake.

Now for the questions I'll truly get flamed over....

I'm thinking of getting the drink package. The description includes specialty coffee. Will that be like the card that will allows me brewed coffee?

Or do I have to purchase a coffee card in addition to the drink package?

Or (like wine) can I bring a small drip machine and grounds aboard and brew that first pot of the morning in my cabin?

If I can, Does Princess charge a coffee "corking fee" ?

Like I said earlier, being new to Princess and this board, Coffee is confusing.

Thanks

Mark

I'm thinking of getting the drink package. The description includes specialty coffee. Will that be like the card that will allows me brewed coffee?

The AIBP includes all alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages priced under $10 which is about 95% of everything on board. It does include espresso drinks, brewed coffee, special teas, everything. It is a sticker on your cruise card. You do not purchase the coffee card if you have the AIBP. On the Island Princess brewed coffee and espresso drinks may also be served at the bar in the indoor pool area. Princess has been placing this equipment at these bars, but I haven't been on the Island in quite a while, and I'm not certain if it is there or not. Check it out once on board.

Or do I have to purchase a coffee card in addition to the drink package?

NO

Or (like wine) can I bring a small drip machine and grounds aboard and brew that first pot of the morning in my cabin?

This question is tricky to answer. Princess will not allow any appliance in the cabin that may have a chance to cause a fire. The appliance must have an automatic thermostat shut off. Even if your coffee maker meets the requirements it may be taken and held.

If I can, Does Princess charge a coffee "corking fee" ?

No.

Like I said earlier, being new to Princess and this board, Coffee is confusing.

Not Confusing, Just order a pot from room service, you may like it. You are only on the ship for a week or two.

Thanks

Mark

See above

I bought a plastic french press on Amazon and bring it with me along with my favorite coffee - order room service hot water and make your own - I then keep the carafe (plastic) from room service for the rest of the cruise and fill it myself in the mornings with hot water from the buffet - we travel in suits only so this is prior to Sabatini's...

We bring our own travel mugs and they just fill them, at the IC, a great start to the day.Their mugs are to small.

Sabatini's will hook you up. The ship's best waitstaff is ready to caffeinate you in high style. Specialty teas too.

Vista Suite? My favorite! You'll have a great cruise.

Yes, one of the Aft Vistas with a wrap around balcony on the Aloha deck. I thought that would be the perfect cabin for a Panama Canal Cruise.

I'm looking forward to trying a new cruise line.

I haven't been back to Panama since "Christmas" 1989 and want to see how things have changed there as well.

Mark

It's a wibbly wobbly timey wimey thing

Had to throw that in for sminfiddle

Edited by WYTinman

Glad you started this thread - we're taking our first princess cruise next week, & I find the coffee thing a bit frustrating too.

We just paid over 2 grand for our cruise, and do I understand we can't get a simple cup of brewed coffee without paying extra for it?? Our only no-charge option is the "syrupy swill", as someone put it ?

( I think there's also one spot where the pastries are FREE, but you PAY for the coffee??...go figure)

(ps - do ya think anyone from the cruise lines reads theses posts???)

Glad you started this thread - we're taking our first princess cruise next week, & I find the coffee thing a bit frustrating too.

We just paid over 2 grand for our cruise, and do I understand we can't get a simple cup of brewed coffee without paying extra for it?? Our only no-charge option is the "syrupy swill", as someone put it ?

( I think there's also one spot where the pastries are FREE, but you PAY for the coffee??...go figure)

They are serving coffee for 3000 people 24/7 - I think the issue is brewing coffee would be out of control to have someone in charge of that - the onboard coffee that has no charge is fine -

They are serving coffee for 3000 people 24/7 - I think the issue is brewing coffee would be out of control to have someone in charge of that - the onboard coffee that has no charge is fine -

Thanks deisel - it's not ME I'm worried about (all the same to me). Da wife however does enjoy her cuppa java in the morning. She's fine with the starbucks or mcdonalds or Timmies (we're in canada,eh?) swill that she drinks at home. So do you think she'll be OK with the princess swill? :)

Thanks deisel - it's not ME I'm worried about (all the same to me). Da wife however does enjoy her cuppa java in the morning. She's fine with the starbucks or mcdonalds or Timmies (we're in canada,eh?) swill that she drinks at home. So do you think she'll be OK with the princess swill? :)

It's not that bad - but...as others have said you can get from IC - do what I suggested bring a small plastic press and favorite coffee - get hot water delivered and its great

The free coffee is really not that bad. On our last cruise, it was actually good. If we have an early excursion, I don't hesitate to order my morning coffee from room service even if we are staying in a suite. I do order cream to put in it which gets rid of any bitterness.

I bought a plastic french press on Amazon and bring it with me along with my favorite coffee - order room service hot water and make your own - I then keep the carafe (plastic) from room service for the rest of the cruise and fill it myself in the mornings with hot water from the buffet - we travel in suits only so this is prior to Sabatini's...

I like the French press idea.

That may be my solution.

I wish it replicated the brewing aroma too.

Mark

Edited by WYTinman

Are you on the Royal or Regal? They have equipment that brews coffee from grounds, not concentrate. It is free and available self and waiter served in the buffet area from 5am until around midnight.

Yes, Princess does monitor this, other social media postings, and the post cruise surveys. They did take notice and improve their free coffee on their new ships.

Are you on the Royal or Regal? They have equipment that brews coffee from grounds, not concentrate. It is free and available self and waiter served in the buffet area from 5am until around midnight.

We're on the Regal.

So... I'm getting mixed signals here...

if what you say above is correct,sknight - I think that's all we're looking for: brewed from grounds (beans???) And FREE!

Can others confirm this is correct?

Got back recently from a NCL Jewell cruise. Our first NCL cruise in six years after a few cruises with Celebrity and Princess. Was refreshing to have a four cup coffee maker in the room. DW is a coffee snob. We brought our own coffee.

On Princess we buy the coffee card, Celebrity we usually have the drink package which includes good coffee.

I have to say, I love the coffee service in the morning- with a little pastry- it is a real treat- at home, I do not have that service. I bring with me my flavored coffee creamer- and love sitting on my deck- no matter the temp.- And I bring my insulated cup for other times of the day.

The beauty of a cruise, is that there are many choices and no one really has to be in lock step. Even though there are up to 3,000 different folks, the cruise line tries its best to make all of us happy.

Have a great cruise, and delight in all the services you are getting- that you do not get when you are on a land vacation or at home.