WOW! Coffee on Princess is Confusing.

WYTinman

23833907011_14b4ef3cfa_z.jpg

23916400625_6471e901ab_z.jpg

Is it really only a dollar??

It's $1.25/$1.50 for a small cup & $1.75/$1.95 for a large cup and like other drink purchases probably a 15% tip is automatically added just like when purchasing a coffee card.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I have to say, I love the coffee service in the morning- with a little pastry- it is a real treat- at home, I do not have that service.

Yep, so do we, and we drink it black! Our cruise last 2 weeks, our wonderful room service guy, Pavlo, suggested we try HOT croissants with our coffee at 5:30am, as they were just coming out of the oven. Darn you, Pavlo! Every morning we loved the crispy, hot, buttery melting in your mouth delights...if you'd like it early like we do, just write in the time! They're wonderful about that!

The free coffee is hot brown water to me! Coffee is very important to my husband and I and we want it to taste like coffee. Maybe if you put cream and sugar in it, it's somewhat palatable. But I take it black.

We're getting the card for unlimited drinks of all kinds. Coffee and booze, baby! :D

If you are in a Vista suite, you get complimentary laundry service, a wonderful suite benefit. So you won't have to do your own laundry. I asked for soy milk for my coffee the first morning in Sabatini's and they had to fetch it from the main galley, but they had it waiting every morning after (on the Caribbean Princess).

This is good to know. I recently had to give up dairy due to allergy and switched to soy milk (boo and tears in comparison to half n half). Would I be able to get vanilla soy milk for dinner, or a vanilla soy latte at the IC?

Hi all,

I have pre- purchased my coffee card for my cruise this coming Saturday ,now if I ask for a small cappuccino that's one punch from my card ok, but if I want a large cappuccino is that 2 punches and if I want an extra shot in small or large coffee will I be charged 1 dollar. :confused:

Been doing room service the last few cruises and have had no problem with their coffee. The main dining rooms coffee I also don't mind. The one place I have issues with has been in the Horizon Court buffet. I seems to always come out of the dispenser too weak or too strong. It never seems to get mixed right.

framer

Hi all,

I have pre- purchased my coffee card for my cruise this coming Saturday ,now if I ask for a small cappuccino that's one punch from my card ok, but if I want a large cappuccino is that 2 punches and if I want an extra shot in small or large coffee will I be charged 1 dollar. :confused:

I think it depends on the barista. Usually, I can get away with just one punch for an extra.

• 2 months later...

I used to really dislike the coffee but I found it much improved on our last couple of cruises. I drink it in the dining room and buffet and it is fine. We trade our mini bar for coffee cards and I enjoy fresh brewed in the morning and a speciality later in the day. Win win.

Hi all,

delete

Edited by JF - retired RRT

OK, I just booked my first Princess cruise.

Now I'm reading through the threads on this board and am really confused on, of all things... COFFEE.

I have only cruised with NCL in their suites and know their Perks well. (NCL has Lavassa espresso/cappuccino machines in room)

I have a Vista suite booked on the Island Princess. Is brew coffee not available in my suite?

How about French Press in the morning at Sabatini's with breakfast?

Do any Princess cabins have coffee makers?

I like a fresh brewed cup in the morning and a regular drip coffee is fine. But from what I read here I have to go to some coffee shop to get a brewed cup. Is that true?

I get the whole specialty coffee thing. Buy a card get the specialty coffee like "Starbucks". But do I have to pay for brewed coffee?

I know coffee and cards is discussed often on this board, reading through them and trying to figure out what it all means as a new cruiser is confusing.

Thanks.

Mark

You might consider bringing your own French Press... we use to cruise with a couple from Monte Carlo... she always brought her own French Press... this was years ago, even brought the whole pot to the MDR in the am. LOL She had what she wanted that way.

Can I get iced coffee from the IC in the middle of the afternoon? I just assumed I could, but since the topic came up, I thought I'd ask.

I haven't sailed Princess recently but on Celebrity we could get brewed coffee at the bar in the buffet every morning. Apparently some people like their alcoholic coffee in the morning, so they have the brewing equipment available.

I'll try the regular buffet coffee first and see how it goes. The biggest problem I find is I usually get the last cup before the pot is replaced. YUCK!

Kathy

Coffee is harder to write about than it is to use on the ship. It really makes sense when you see how it works. When you throw in the permutations of suite vs. regular cabins, it gets even more confusing.....and then add that it isn't totally consistent across the entire cruise line and it is a mess.

Coffee from concentrate--free to all, available at buffet, room service, dining rooms, etc. Exceptions--some dining rooms serve brewed coffee. If they do, it is also included in the cruise fare.

Brewed coffee--included if you have a coffee card, no punch needed (at least if card is purchased for this cruise) YMMV on an old card. Available at International Cafe or similar outlet (different names on different ships). Brewed coffee at Sabitini's (where suite guests have breakfast). Coffee card, which includes 15 punch spots for specialty coffee/tea plus all the unlimited brewed coffee or tea you wish costs about $35 including gratuity. You may trade a suite minibar set up for 2 coffee cards if desired. Note--coffee card may be shared (not per person)

If purchasing that "All Inclusive Beverage Plan" all brewed or specialty coffees are included. You just have to go to the appropriate place to get it. DO NOT buy a coffee card if you have AIBP!

I can't have caffeine at the moment (shame because I love decent barista coffee) so will I be able to source free decaf or will I have to buy it on board or bring it with me?

Free.

Coffee card' date=' which includes 15 punch spots for specialty coffee/tea plus all the unlimited brewed coffee or tea you wish costs about $35 including gratuity. You may trade a suite minibar set up for 2 coffee cards if desired. Note--coffee card may be shared (not per person)

Punches may be shared.

The unlimited brewed is meant just for one person, the one with the card.

• 1 year later...
Princess swill is fine at 5.00am,any other time its putrid,their barista coffee is excellent.

One of the most accurate posts ITT.

Anyone with the opinion that "Princess (complimentary)coffee is not that bad" is either being a dishonest apologist or does not know coffee. Princess syrup coffee is one of the worst cups of coffee one can acquire. It's a step below what one might expect from a gas station/24-hr convenience store or the complimentary stale packets one might see offered in a dive motel room.

That stated, for those that wake and rise with coffee, it will fill the void and that's about it.

Having to leave one's cabin to get a decent coffee in the morning on Princess can be a pain/chore. A good place to go for espresso-based drinks when the lower deck options might be busy, is to the mid-ship bar on the Lido deck. They have an espresso machine there and the wait-times are often minimal.

...Anyone with the opinion that "Princess (complimentary)coffee is not that bad" is either being a dishonest apologist or does not know coffee. Princess syrup coffee is one of the worst cups of coffee one can acquire. It's a step below what one might expect from a gas station/24-hr convenience store or the complimentary stale packets one might see offered in a dive motel room...

I am not a coffee drinker, but me darling wife is and she would be in full agreement with you. I observed them "making coffee" in the buffet one morning. They use Nescafe syrup or concentrate if you will.