Live From Oasis 3/26

Not planning on turning this into a full blown review, but have some time and want to share a few observations while they are fresh in my head. We are currently enjoying the Western Caribbean on Oasis with friends who have never cruised before. The ship is absolutely amazing, but must admit that a few things are not going as expected.

Check-in could not have been easier. Parking at the pier was super fast. The porters were friendly. The folks at the counter were great. After that, we waited until almost Noon before they boarded. That was OK, but the people around the waiting area acted more put out and like their job was crowd control more than representing RCI. They weren't horrible, but smiling and acting a little excited for the people would have been nice.

After boarding, we went to Solarium Bistro for lunch. It is never crowded there and it was our favorite breakfast spot on Allure. The mix is healthy and plentiful, but I could see the selection was less than past cruises. The following morning, we went back for breakfast and the first thing I noticed is that they no longer offer smoked salmon. That really sucked, because I look forward to that. Today we went to the Windjammer for breakfast, and the selection there sucked, too. They weren't even making omelettes. And the scrambled eggs aren't even real eggs, but this yellow, gross textured thing. I have never had to circle like a vulture looking for something decent to eat at a buffet before. Tomorrow we're going to try the main dining room.

Dinner Night 1 was in the Main Dining Room. The meal and service were excellent. Last night, we were supposed to eat in Izumi, but the menu changed since we were last there and there was nothing my husband could eat. They only offered Sushi and Sashimi, and he won't do it. The last time we went the menu had a wonderful steak teriyaki option. Our server just shrugged it off like she is accustomed to people leaving. Back to the Main Dining Room. We had the same waiter as the night before, and he was great (Frank: American Icon, Deck 3). Luckily, dinner was wonderful.

Entertainment on Oasis is phenomenal. The first night we saw Oasis Of Dreams at the Aqua Theater. It was PHENOMENAL. And last night was Cats. I do not like Cats, but the performers were outstanding. They were way better than the show they were in. After the Intermission, about half the audience bailed, and I think that's really rude to the performers. We got to the Aqua Theater 45 minutes before the show. By 30 minutes out, no good seats remained. Cats was not as bad, but definitely feel more crowded on this cruise than previous ones. People waiting for standby had no idea where to wait. Nobody gave any direction.

Our cabin steward, Seymour, is very attentive and friendly. He wouldn't empty the mini fridge, but he's on top of the room.

We are using Voom, and it is fast and good. If you want to switch between devices, you need to go to LogOff.com to log out of the one device before logging on with the other. This wasn't immediately shared with us and we had to figure out how to go between iPhones and Macbooks.

So far, the poor quality of the food and diminished selection at the buffets has been my biggest bitch. Hoping the Main Dining Room has smoked salmon tomorrow! :-D

Thanks for sharing. We are on Oasis in early May, also doing western, so look forward to your updates. I have read that Wipeout Cafe is a good place for breakfast, so maybe that has what you are looking for. As far as Izumi, did they still have the Hibachi option? We have that booked for one night.

Yes, they have the Hibachi, but we could not switch to that, because it was sold out. I was bummed because I LOVE sushi, but two people in our party don't eat seafood. Luckily, the Main Dining Room has been great and we have not had to wait long with My Time Dining to get a table.

Wipeout Cafe advertises omelettes. I am really shocked that the Windjammer stopped making them to order. The guy behind the counter only made fried eggs and pretended not to understand when people asked about omelettes.

Edited by Eriksgarden

Thanks for the review.

Just some notes on salmon and eggs made to order. If you don't see the salmon, ask for it. They may have it available upon request.

Eggs made to order have never been available in Oasis class Windjammer. However, you should be able to find them in the Main Dining Room, Johnny Rockets, and Wipeout Cafe.

Thanks for the review.

Just some notes on salmon and eggs made to order. If you don't see the salmon, ask for it. They may have it available upon request.

Eggs made to order have never been available in Oasis class Windjammer. However, you should be able to find them in the Main Dining Room, Johnny Rockets, and Wipeout Cafe.

You are the best! Thanks! I have hope for a bagel heaped with salmon tomorrow! The omelette eaters in our group are on their own! :-D

Yes, they have the Hibachi, but we could not switch to that, because it was sold out. I was bummed because I LOVE sushi, but two people in our party don't eat seafood. Luckily, the Main Dining Room has been great and we have not had to wait long with My Time Dining to get a table.

Wipeout Cafe advertises omelettes. I am really shocked that the Windjammer stopped making them to order. The guy behind the counter only made fried eggs and pretended not to understand when people asked about omelettes.

Thanks. WJ should have had premade omelettes, Oasis doesn't do made to order omelettes. I like that they do made to order fried eggs, didn't know that.

You are the best! Thanks! I have hope for a bagel heaped with salmon tomorrow! The omelette eaters in our group are on their own! :-D

You're welcome, and if you are successful getting the salmon, please let us know where. In other words, they might say no in WJ, but say yes in Solarium Cafe.

Plenty of salmon, real eggs, and omelettes in the Main Dining Room. We found our new go-to spot for breakfast. Tragedy averted!

Also, we went to Sabor last night for dinner. It was EXCELLENT! Got fresh guac made at the table. Everything is super fresh and tasty. The plates are huge servings. The poor server does it all, though. She kept a fantastic attitude, but she needed more help. Definitely need reservations as it was packed.

Edited by Eriksgarden

Best place fora better Bagel selections is at the Park Cafe. You can just pick one upon e way to the WJ. Only found Smoked Salmon one day in the WJ. It was at the side bar were the lunch time hamburgers are served. I was told by the Park Cafe I could get Salmon at the Wipe Out Cafe as we have done on previous cruises on Allure which turned out to be false. May this be just another cut back such as I could not even find any low fat cream cheese even though I asked for it at the Park Cafe counter. The senior server retrieved several tubs from the back room, but it was same regular CC. Although I am sure it is served in the MD. I have found from past experience,when cruising on the same class of ship, you will most always find there will be some trival differences.

Best place fora better Bagel selections is at the Park Cafe. You can just pick one upon e way to the WJ. Only found Smoked Salmon one day in the WJ. It was at the side bar were the lunch time hamburgers are served. I was told by the Park Cafe I could get Salmon at the Wipe Out Cafe as we have done on previous cruises on Allure which turned out to be false. May this be just another cut back such as I could not even find any low fat cream cheese even though I asked for it at the Park Cafe counter. The senior server retrieved several tubs from the back room, but it was same regular CC. Although I am sure it is served in the MD. I have found from past experience,when cruising on the same class of ship, you will most always find there will be some trival differences.

I did order it once from the MDR as well.

Are you serious? Do they have low fat cream cheese readily available? Is it an effort to find? I can't imagine there are that many people who still eat regular cream cheese these days as compared to the number of people who do not.

Not sure on the low fat cream cheese. You can try by the breads/bagels station where they serve fried eggs.

Personally, I eat regular cream cheese. I do not like any "light" products as they are typically with more chemical stabilizers/other ingredients that I'm not a fan of. But I understand that for some individuals counting calories, they are a great option. Just not for me. I just eat less of the regular stuff.

Another glorious salmon/bagel breakfast in the Main Dining Room. Now we are parked on loungers for a Sea Day on route to Cozumel.

Yesterday we got off at Jamaica just to T-shirt shop the stores around the port, then enjoyed a hot rock massage at the spa. The ladies in the spa were fantastic. Sure they strong sell the spa products after, but it works. I bought facial scrub for $30! LOL

Lunch yesterday was in Park Cafe. The salads and Kummelwick sandwiches were great. The desserts there were good, too.

Dinner was again in the Main Dining Room. Our Waiter, Frank, is really awesome. He carved apples into birds for us and entertained the kids at the neighboring tables. The Head Waiter is making sure my Husband gets duck again tomorrow night. We have been ordering extra appetizers for the table. Had Rack of Lamb last night. Frank brought extra lamb out. We have gone whole cruises never stepping into the Main Dining Room. We are so happy we gave the MDR another shot.

Last night was the Comedy Show. It was great. And it also drove home how important it is to pre-book meals and shows on this ship. The stand-by crowd looked annoyed. We've always been about planning early to avoid disappointment.

Edited by Eriksgarden