Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

There shouldn't be VAT on the gratuities, that's a separate thing.

That's not what I meant. I was referring to your post stating the amount you see in Europe is what you usually pay and so you would need to add the % on top of items such as a drink purchase, spa treatment etc. ;). The total would be approximately 38%-40%, not the 20% you quoted, by the time the grats were also included. Didn't want you to have a shock, should the itineraries be changed to EU only, thinking it was only 20% to add :).

How does this euro VAT work?, if a purchase is made onboard in international waters, in the med, why should VAT be charged and who would get it?

I can understand being charged if moored at the key in Barcelona, but surely not when out at sea in international waters.

i remember being charged VAT on a drink purchased in Spanish waters some years ago, but the ship did warn us that would happen, as soon as out of Spanish waters no VAT,

never been charged VAT at any other port in Europe.

Isn't this why the shops are always closed until the ship is at sea and in international waters.

Now the lines are giving out the included drinks packages there is no need to worry about VAT,

How does this euro VAT work?, if a purchase is made onboard in international waters, in the med, why should VAT be charged and who would get it?

I can understand being charged if moored at the key in Barcelona, but surely not when out at sea in international waters.

i remember being charged VAT on a drink purchased in Spanish waters some years ago, but the ship did warn us that would happen, as soon as out of Spanish waters no VAT,

never been charged VAT at any other port in Europe.

Isn't this why the shops are always closed until the ship is at sea and in international waters.

Now the lines are giving out the included drinks packages there is no need to worry about VAT,

The whole issue of VAT is incredibly complex even within the UK there has been legal cases and controversies over whether VAT should apply to Jaffa Cakes (It's a cake not a biscuit and that makes a difference), Pasties and sanitary wear - to name a few!

Spain is unusual they seem to apply VAT to all ships stopping there.

Normally, in Europe, if a ship has a non EU port on its itinerary (as listed earlier) then once the ship leaves its embarkation point the whole cruise becomes VAT free. If however there is no non EU port on an itinerary then VAT is applicable throughout the cruise, I think it is applied at the rate of the country of embarkation.

How VAT applies to "free" drinks packages or things purchased in advance I don't know, but any purchases on board, including Specialty restaurants, I would think would attract VAT, if VAT were payable on a cruise.

How Cruise lines work VAT on some of these cruises, particularly where they do 7, 14 and 21 day options is beyond me, but it wouldn't surprise me if they make the most of the situation one way or another!

I think it's such a shame things get overcomplicated at sea. On land in the uk it's simple! VAT ( usually 20%) is added to everything you buy and for members of the public most prices quoted include vat:

So a pint of beer in a pub listed as £3.50 is £3.50 and that's all you pay.

A pair of jeans in a shop ticketed at £25.00 are £25.00 and that's all you pay.

A massage in a beauty salon is £30.00 and that's all you pay.

The English Channel used to be vat free... get on a boat in Dover, travel to France and buy drinks / cigarettes on-board without the 20% vat ( Duty Free ) ...but not any more.

I find 'gratuities' on American boats very odd. You pay a price ( massage / beer / meal )..then you HAVE to pay a tip on top!? What's that all about?

In the UK tips / gratuities are discretionary. You pay a tip for service that is above and beyond the norm! It's an incentive for staff to up their customer service.

I think it's such a shame things get overcomplicated at sea. On land in the uk it's simple! VAT ( usually 20%) is added to everything you buy .

If only it were as simple as you claim it to be

Items that are zero rated for VAT in the UK include

• Baby wear, children’s clothing and children’s footwear
  • Books, newspapers and magazines
  • Printed or copied music
  • Caravans (depending on their size)
  • Water supplied to homes
  • Donated goods sold in charity shops.
  • Betting and gaming
  • Bingo and lotteries
  • Physical education and sports activities
  • Burial or cremation of dead people, or burial at sea
  • Funeral plans written under contract of insurance
  • Medical treatment and health care
  • Postage stamps (UK and Isle of Man)
  • Financial services such as loans and other forms of credit
  • Insurance services.

Cold take-away food is zero-rated for VAT, while hot take-away food is subject to standard-rate VAT

Nuts in their shells are zero-rated for VAT, while shelled, roasted or salted nuts are subject to VAT at the standard rate

Potato crisps are subject to standard-rate VAT, but maize and corn-based snacks, such as tortilla chips, are zero-rated

Frozen foods are zero-rated, yet ice-cream and frozen yoghurt are subject to standard-rate VAT.

But it doesn't matter about that - the price you see is what you pay. whether there is no VAT or 20% VAT. It's not like in the US where you get Sales Tax added at the till.

The point that the poster was making was that you don't even consider VAT when you're buying things - it's all in the price already if it applies. They weren't talking about the complexities of which items carry VAT or not.

But it doesn't matter about that - the price you see is what you pay. whether there is no VAT or 20% VAT. It's not like in the US where you get Sales Tax added at the till.

The point that the poster was making was that you don't even consider VAT when you're buying things - it's all in the price already if it applies. They weren't talking about the complexities of which items carry VAT or not.

Yes that's what I meant, the price listed is what you pay. rather than a nasty shock of sales tax or gratuities being added afterwards!

The other ports that are non EU have issues regarding the size of the ship according to Celebrity. Back to your OP. There is no travel warning anyplace near the ports being visited. The area is about 400 miles away. I agree there is an issue with the refugee situation, but saying one should not go to Ephesus because of a travel warning in Eastern Turkey is the same as saying one should not travel to Crete or Malta because of the war in Syria.

And I do agree everyone has their own comfort level. Sadly if one is to avoid ALL terrorist violence today one would need to find a very remote island. It happens in the US, Canada and Australia as well.

It seems that Australia & New Zealand have also joined other countries who are warning their citizens regarding travel to Turkey, herewith their warning

here is extreme risk to your security within 10 kilometres of the border with Syria due to the threat of terrorism and kidnapping and the potential for violence associated with the ongoing conflict in Syria. We advise against all travel to this area.

There is extreme risk to your security in the city of Diyarbakir, in south-east Turkey, due to ongoing security force operations in the Sur district and we advise against all travel.

High Risk

There is high risk to your security in the provinces of Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Kilis, Mardin, Mus, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Siirt, Tunceli and Van in south-east Turkey. We advise against all tourist and other non-essential travel to these provinces due to the unpredictable security situation and the threat of terrorism and kidnapping.

There is high risk to your security in Ankara and Istanbul due to the heightened threat of terrorism and potential for civil unrest. We advise against all tourist and other non-essential travel to these cities. New Zealanders transiting Ankara or Istanbul on their way to other destinations in Turkey are advised to minimise transit time and avoid tourist sites in those two cities.

Some Risk

There is some risk to your security elsewhere in Turkey due to the heightened threat of terrorism and the potential for civil unrest and we advise caution.

View Larger Map Close/Open map

Terrorism

There is a significant threat from terrorism in Turkey. Terrorist groups, including those based in Syria and Iraq, continue to make threats to conduct attacks in Turkey, including plots that may involve foreign fighters returning to Turkey from the conflicts in Syria and Iraq. There is also a threat from domestic-based extremists.

Most terrorist attacks in Turkey target Turkish government institutions and security forces, however recent attacks have also occurred in tourist areas and locations frequented by foreigners, resulting in deaths and injuries. Terrorist attacks have been regularly carried out in the south-east; more recently attacks have occurred in Ankara and Istanbul, and could occur in other parts of the country, including, Izmir, Adana, other major centres, tourist areas and along the Mediterranean and Aegean coasts.

Recent incidents include:

On 19 March 2016, a suicide bombing in Istiklal Street in central Istanbul killed 5 people, including foreigners, and injured a number of others.

On 13 March 2016, an explosion in the Kizilay district in central Ankara killed 37 people and injured many more.

On 17 February 2016, a large explosion in central Ankara killed 28 people. The attack appeared to specifically target military personnel.

On 12 January 2016, a suicide attack in the Sultanahmet tourist district of Istanbul killed twelve foreign nationals and injured a number of others.

On 23 December 2015, a mortar attack which killed one person was conducted at Sabiha Gökçen Airport, Istanbul’s second largest airport, by the Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK).

On 10 October 2015, an attack on a political rally outside the main railway station in Ankara killed 102 people.

Further attacks targeting tourists and Western interests in Istanbul, Ankara, or elsewhere in Turkey, are possible. The Kurdistan Freedom Falcons (TAK), who claimed responsibility for the 13 March and 17 February attacks, have stated their intention to target tourist areas in Turkey in future attacks.

New Zealanders throughout Turkey are advised to remain vigilant, keep themselves informed of potential risks to safety and security by monitoring the media and other local information sources. We recommend following any instructions issued by the local authorities and exercising a high degree of vigilance in public places, especially around buildings and sites associated with Turkish security forces. You should also be security conscious around landmark places known to be frequented by foreigners, such as embassies, tourist locations, public transport facilities, airports, places of worship, government buildings and identifiably western businesses.

If you are in a location affected by a recent attack, you should avoid the immediate vicinity, follow any instructions given by Turkish security forces and let you family in New Zealand know you are safe and well.

The terrorist group Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) controls a part of the Syrian side of the border with Turkey. The long and porous nature of the border with Syria provides ISIL and other terrorists with an opportunity to travel with relative ease between Turkey, Syria and Iraq. Turkish security forces’ presence in these border areas has been strengthened to counter such illegal activity.

Although based in Syria and Iraq, ISIL has the capacity to carry out attacks across the border. Spillover violence in border areas is likely and we advise against all travel to within 10 kilometres of the border with Syria. ISIL has previously threatened to conduct attacks against targets elsewhere in Turkey.

A number of domestic terrorist groups are active in parts of Turkey. The Kurdistan People's Congress (also known as the Kurdistan Workers’ Party or PKK) has targeted Turkish government interests, although Westerners have also been targeted in the past. Following the ending of a ceasefire between the Turkish government and the PKK in late July 2015, there is a high level of tension and security activity and a heightened threat from terrorism in south-east Turkey, where the PKK has focused its activity. There have been a high number of recent attacks targeting and killing security force personnel in this area and further attacks there are likely.

The Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP/C), an extreme leftist terrorist organisation, maintains an anti-Western ideology and remains active in Turkey. The DHKP/C has in the past conducted attacks on Turkish government and security institutionsand has stated its intention to undertake further attacks.

Kidnapping

The risk to foreign nationals of kidnapping extends from Syria to the regions of Turkey bordering Syria. Groups operating in northern Syria have the capacity to carry out kidnappings across the border. Reporting indicates that ISIL have in the past planned kidnapping operations specifically targeting Westerners inside Turkey.

We advise New Zealanders to avoid all tourist and non-essential travel to areas close to the border with Syria, Iraq, and Iran, in southeast Turkey.

Civil unrest

Protests and demonstrations take place regularly throughout Turkey and could occur at short notice, especially in major cities and in the south-east of the country.

New Zealanders in Turkey are advised to avoid all political gatherings, protests and demonstrations as even those intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn violent. Police may use tear gas and/or water cannons to disperse demonstrations.

New Zealanders throughout Turkey are also advised to adhere to any instructions and restrictions issued by the local authorities, including curfews issued in response to protest activity. There is a higher likelihood of protests and demonstrations occurring on days of national significance.

General travel advice

New Zealanders travelling or living in Turkey should have a comprehensive travel insurance policy in place that includes provision for medical evacuation by air.

New Zealanders in Turkey are strongly encouraged to register their details with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.

here is extreme risk to your security within 10 kilometres of the border with Syria due to the threat of terrorism and kidnapping and the potential for violence associated with the ongoing conflict in Syria. We advise against all travel to this area.

There is extreme risk to your security in the city of Diyarbakir, in south-east Turkey, due to ongoing security force operations in the Sur district and we advise against all travel.

I........

There is high risk to your security in Ankara and Istanbul due to the heightened threat of terrorism and potential for civil unrest. We advise against all tourist and other non-essential travel to these cities. New Zealanders transiting Ankara or Istanbul on their way to other destinations in Turkey are advised to minimise transit time and avoid tourist sites in those two cities.

This is a key point IMO, Celebrity have a couple of cruises starting in Istanbul. For many it isn't easy to quickly fly in and head to the ship - one needs to fly in the day before

[1]The EU countries are: Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, The Netherlands, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

So all the others are not ;). DYKWIA mentioned Kotor as Montenegro is not, neither is Gibraltar ;).

This link will provide you with the definitive list http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/customs/customs_duties/rules_origin/introduction/article_403_en.htm

We now have to pay a VAT tax for anything purchased on the ship? :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

We now have to pay a VAT tax for anything purchased on the ship? :eek: :rolleyes: :mad:

It's complicated but YES if the ship embarks and disembarks in Spain you do for the entire cruise. If the cruise includes a non EU port, then I believe you only have to pay the Spanish VAT while in their waters. It's a pretty complicated scenario depending upon the ports.

It's complicated but YES if the ship embarks and disembarks in Spain you do for the entire cruise. If the cruise includes a non EU port, then I believe you only have to pay the Spanish VAT while in their waters. It's a pretty complicated scenario depending upon the ports.

Okay, so we depart from Barcelona and disembark in Italy with France, Italy and Sicily ports in between. Then what? I just told someone we didn't have to pay a VAT tax because we never have in the past.

Okay, so we depart from Barcelona and disembark in Italy with France, Italy and Sicily ports in between. Then what? I just told someone we didn't have to pay a VAT tax because we never have in the past.

Any chance you're calling in at Gibraltar? If not, and you're only visiting Spain, Italy and France then I think you'll be liable to VAT on on-board purchases.

Does that include pictures and speciality restaurants?

Hi, the people who were on the same cruise as ours last year reported back that they did pay the VAT on onboard purchases... I already upgraded our drinks packages, otherwise we'd pay the extra 20%

Yeah I know, Kotor would be the only option, but no room for many ships in port.

I remember when Tunisia used to be a stop on the western med cruises I always wondered why, never thought about Vat.

What about your up coming Harmony cruise will that have vat aplied

Yeah I know, Kotor would be the only option, but no room for many ships in port.

I remember when Tunisia used to be a stop on the western med cruises I always wondered why, never thought about Vat.

What about your up coming Harmony cruise will that have vat aplied

We're actually waiting to transfer that booking on Harmony (Anthem's new itineraries release date has been delayed for next year until next week). It was a FCC and we decided to sail Connie instead this year due to an unexpected wedding invitation. I can't transfer until the actual itineraries are released and Royal keep postponing the date :confused:.

The Equinox sailings for next August have suddenly disappeared and so it looks like it may be Reflection next year with a Gibraltar stop to ensure the VATs not a worry :). Our friends got really stung on the Cannes Film Festival itinerary last year as they were not aware of the VAT implications and didn't have a drinks package either :eek:.

That's the one we're on. Even speciality restaurants?

Food supplied through catering should be subject to full VAT.

VAT is usually charged at the point of sale so not sure it is payable if you buy before you cruise via Celebrity?