Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

Regent pulled out because they have to dance to NCL's tune these days. Celebrity makes their own decisions.

And NCL, MSC, Disney... They pulled out for a reason. NCL didn't pull out of Turkey just to show Regent and Oceana that they can't make their own decisions. The situation has worsened since those lines announced their decision.

I am not a fearful traveler. I took my two daughters to Turkey last year, by myself, and had a wonderful time. But let's face it. When the US government has issued a travel warning that includes Izmir, has ordered all non mission critical military, their families... out and warned citizens of the dangers, I personally don't think it's prudent to hop on a loaded tour bus full of a bunch of western travelers with our Celebrity bags, and head off for my tour to the quaint village of Selcuk in the Izmir Provence. Not to mention Kusadasi is right on the border.

I mean what's the wait and see at this point given that kind of govt warning in post number one? Wait for the first few ship filled tour busses to come back from Selcuk?

Edited by littlelulu01

What you guys are missing is the passengers disembarking and embarking Istanbul. What would Celbrity do with these passengers . What port could they change for them Aussie

NCL Spirit had some cruises embarking and debarking in Istanbul . They changed the embarkation and debarkation ports. I think substituted with Venice. Istanbul and Kusadasi port calls substituted with ports in Croatia and Greece.

Regent pulled out because they have to dance to NCL's tune these days. Celebrity makes their own decisions.

I am not sure that's entirely correct. I think if Royal Caribbean made a policy decision not to go somewhere Celebrity and Azamara would soon follow. Such was the case when both Celebrity and RCCL pulled out of Bali a couple of months ago

On the Constellation Roll Call it was reported today that the Captain was asked if the upcoming Turkey (Kusadasi) visit was still a goer and the response was yes

Edited by Beanb41

On the Constellation Roll Call it was reported today that the Captain was asked if the upcoming Turkey (Kusadasi) visit was still a goer and the response was yes

The Captain participates in the Roll Call / Someone on the roll call is in communication with the Captain?

Edited by DYKWIA

The Captain participates in the Roll Call / Someone on the roll call is in communication with the Captain?

On Celebrity Cruise Critic Meet and Greets I have attended in all cases the Captain has attended even if just for a short time. The Captain on the 4 Celebrity cruises I have done to date is also often seen around the ship and will stop and talk if he is otherwise not engaged doing something. The current Captain on the Solstice often eats lunch in the Oceanview café more often than not without senior officers and is often seen in conversation with passengers.

The way some of these cruise lines communicate with their customers ashore it would not surprise me if senior staff on board their ships are also kept in the dark regarding any proposed itinerary changes until the last moment

That is good but I hope that they will pull out if the danger warnings increase.:D

On Celebrity Cruise Critic Meet and Greets I have attended in all cases the Captain has attended even if just for a short time. The Captain on the 4 Celebrity cruises I have done to date is also often seen around the ship and will stop and talk if he is otherwise not engaged doing something. The current Captain on the Solstice often eats lunch in the Oceanview café more often than not without senior officers and is often seen in conversation with passengers.

The way some of these cruise lines communicate with their customers ashore it would not surprise me if senior staff on board their ships are also kept in the dark regarding any proposed itinerary changes until the last moment

Agreed, however, things can change quickly.

In my experience X officers are very accessible and personable and will have a chat if time permits and they do attend the many Captain's Club functions as well as the M&Gs. Sometimes they will pass on information and other times they will not, however they are usually correct and are honest in their responses at the time.

Agreed, however, things can change quickly.

In my experience X officers are very accessible and personable and will have a chat if time permits and they do attend the many Captain's Club functions as well as the M&Gs. Sometimes they will pass on information and other times they will not, however they are usually correct and are honest in their responses at the time.

The recent pullout of Bali for "security reasons" shows a very conservative approach by RCCL and Celebrity as apparently a couple of other cruise lines went there with no issues.

As someone who is due to visit both Kusadasi and Bodrum shortly I am not too concerned either way. However if it is indeed the intention to cancel these ports then I would like to know sooner rather than later so that I can plan accordingly.

Hal prisindam pulled into Istanbul scheduled port but only stayed for 5 hours to drop off and pick up some crew. Passengers not debarking were not allowed off the ship. They did stop in Kusadasi today.

Thanks for the information. We may get to Kusadasi after all.:D

I am not sure that's entirely correct. I think if Royal Caribbean made a policy decision not to go somewhere Celebrity and Azamara would soon follow. Such was the case when both Celebrity and RCCL pulled out of Bali a couple of months ago

The reason Celebrity pulled out of Bali a couple of months ago was because it was on a very religious day nobody allowed on the streets all transport banned all shops closed all tourist confined to there hotels all airports closed i think it was called NYPIE day maybe Hindu Religion Aussie

The recent pullout of Bali for "security reasons" shows a very conservative approach by RCCL and Celebrity as apparently a couple of other cruise lines went there with no issues.

Read My reply Bean41 Aussie

The reason Celebrity pulled out of Bali a couple of months ago was because it was on a very religious day nobody allowed on the streets all transport banned all shops closed all tourist confined to there hotels all airports closed i think it was called NYPIE day maybe Hindu Religion Aussie

That only explains one cancellation though.

That only explains one cancellation though.

there are more than one ship a day that goes into Bali they are building a new port

Months ago there where huge volcano eruptions the airport was closed for two weeks Australians from Perth travel to Bali for holidays some twice a year its only three hours flight from Perth and seven flights a day any big warning we would no about it i have been in Bali on Nypie day as i said its closed no lights in streets ports closed to my knowledge ships are porting Bali to this day Aussie

The Solstice was pulled first and a few days later an RCCL ship due to visit Bali was also pulled. Without trying to get into a slanging match it had nothing to do a religious holiday which would have only affected one ship but a heightened terror alert issued by both Australian and UK governments.

I checked the NZ Govt Travel advisory for Turkey yesterday and South East Turkey near the Syrian border is a recommended no go area and Ankara and Istanbul around tourist areas are considered a no go area as well.

Kind of makes RCCL and Celebrity decision to pull the plug on Istanbul a couple of months ago pretty sound to me. In light of the advisory I don't think I would be happy going into Istanbul for embarkation or disembarkation either.

The Solstice was pulled first and a few days later an RCCL ship due to visit Bali was also pulled. Without trying to get into a slanging match it had nothing to do a religious holiday which would have only affected one ship but a heightened terror alert issued by both Australian and UK governments.

I checked the NZ Govt Travel advisory for Turkey yesterday and South East Turkey near the Syrian border is a recommended no go area and Ankara and Istanbul around tourist areas are considered a no go area as well.

Kind of makes RCCL and Celebrity decision to pull the plug on Istanbul a couple of months ago pretty sound to me. In light of the advisory I don't think I would be happy going into Istanbul for embarkation or disembarkation either.

That's correct about Bali. On a social media site I read, one of the pax said they would miss Bali because of the terrorist threat based on that particular holiday that was issued by NZ and Australia and X didn't want to jeopardize any of the pax so they rerouted.

Some months back when I purchased flights to BCN, Turkish air had fantastic fares but, even at that time, I knew I didn't want an Istanbul connection. Thank goodness.

I'm glad RCCL and X is being proactive in this situation.

there are more than one ship a day that goes into Bali they are building a new port

Months ago there where huge volcano eruptions the airport was closed for two weeks Australians from Perth travel to Bali for holidays some twice a year its only three hours flight from Perth and seven flights a day any big warning we would no about it i have been in Bali on Nypie day as i said its closed no lights in streets ports closed to my knowledge ships are porting Bali to this day Aussie

from Beanb41

Exactly my point, NYPIE day is only one day, so why did they cancel the port for all their cruises there then.

Edited by MicCanberra

That's correct about Bali. On a social media site I read, one of the pax said they would miss Bali because of the terrorist threat based on that particular holiday that was issued by NZ and Australia and X didn't want to jeopardize any of the pax so they rerouted.

Some months back when I purchased flights to BCN, Turkish air had fantastic fares but, even at that time, I knew I didn't want an Istanbul connection. Thank goodness.

I'm glad RCCL and X is being proactive in this situation.

What you have said about RCCL's and Celebrity's decision not to call in at Bali is quite correct - it was because of the threat of terrorism. I remember reading the same post. Which makes Celebrity's failure to cancel calls in Istanbul and possibly Kusadasi as well all the more surprising. There have been actual terrorist events in Istanbul and the Australian Government also has issued a "reconsider your need" to travel to Istanbul warning. All that Celebrity have done to date is to cancel the overnight stay in Istanbul on the cruise I am currently booked on. But we are disembarking there and the following cruise is embarking there. How is it safe to disembark or embark a few thousand passengers in Istanbul given the current warnings?

It is a real problem for us as we booked nearly 12 months ago and are due to fly home from there. We cannot change our airfares without financial penalty. I don't know whether to cancel the cruise or not. I just wish Celebrity would bite the bullet and cancel the calls in Turkey or at least tell us what is happening. :eek:

It's an odd one isn't it.

The Foreign Office advice for Turkey is the same as it is for Bali, i.e. high threat.

Having said that, Turkey is a big place and the attacks, certainly in Istanbul seem to be very few and far between (especially compared to evens closer to the Syrian border which is a no-go area).

I was in Istanbul last August, just a week after the shooting at the Palace near the port and I felt as safe as I would in any other major city despite that.

We can guess and opine about all of this on the board here but I would hope Celebrity/RCCI have much better intel on the exact situation than any of us have and will base their decisions on that.

On a personal note I am visiting Kusadisi (for the 4th time) and Bodrum (for the 1st time) this summer and am looking forward to it. I hope they don't cancel.

It's an odd one isn't it.

The Foreign Office advice for Turkey is the same as it is for Bali, i.e. high threat.

Having said that, Turkey is a big place and the attacks, certainly in Istanbul seem to be very few and far between (especially compared to evens closer to the Syrian border which is a no-go area).

I was in Istanbul last August, just a week after the shooting at the Palace near the port and I felt as safe as I would in any other major city despite that.

We can guess and opine about all of this on the board here but I would hope Celebrity/RCCI have much better intel on the exact situation than any of us have and will base their decisions on that.

On a personal note I am visiting Kusadisi (for the 4th time) and Bodrum (for the 1st time) this summer and am looking forward to it. I hope they don't cancel.

I think that if people feel like they are at risk, they should take the appropriate actions to suit themselves. I am looking forward to Kusadasi and will be disappointed if it is cancelled but would understand if it was.:D

News in Uk are reporting of camps being set up at Piraeus Port. The asylum seekers are being sent back to Turkey from the port. Hope it doesn't get violent as we have an overnight.

I just hope the cruise lines don't react. A lot of it is media hype