Turkey Travel Warning issued March 29, 2016

Boscodog

I cancelled my Celebrity cruise on Saturday. It wasn't so much the threat of terrorism as it was the potential for cancelled ports at the last minute and potentially just more sea days. I don't want to make the long flights just to float around on a ship. I have another deposit on NCL that replaced Turkey ports last year. That sailing has only gone up in price since I booked.

NCL Jade with Turkey replaced sailings are selling for more than double what HAL, and Celebrity, which kept Turkey are getting.

Curious question, currently booked on Athens>Istanbul trip July 9th. Given the additional bombing today and general unrest in Turkey have some concern of travel in general. I don't see any new statements nor expect Celebrity to have any major changes however I am curious has anyone tried to cancel and get a full refund due to this situation even within the say 30-40 day to disembark window?

Thanks for the info

Curious question, currently booked on Athens>Istanbul trip July 9th. Given the additional bombing today and general unrest in Turkey have some concern of travel in general. I don't see any new statements nor expect Celebrity to have any major changes however I am curious has anyone tried to cancel and get a full refund due to this situation even within the say 30-40 day to disembark window?

Thanks for the info

I think it depends on the insurance policy you have. If you booked prior to the warning issued then you might have ability to cancel but the government warning was issued prior to final payment so probably not covered. Also if situations change within something like 30 days prior to travel you might have ability to cancel. I don't think the us government has changed their warnings. What they warned a few months ago is coming to pass so if you booked after they gave the warning I don't think you are covered. The policies are difficult to weed through and confusing. They also vary quite a bit if you bought cruise lines plan vs independent policy.

I know it's a tedious task but worth a read of your policy. I may have interpreted my policy wrong but it went so far as to exclude payments should I choose to cruise in a region where it is known unsafe and something happens. Btw: my policy is travel guard gold. Pretty basic cruise policy.

Edited by littlelulu01

My Travel Insured policy is pretty simple. Under reasons listed for cancellation:

"a Terrorist Incident that occurs within 30 days of Your Scheduled Departure Date in a city listed on the itinerary of Your Trip;"

In a Global Alert policy I have, it says this:

"If within 30 days of Your departure, a politically motivated Terrorist Attack occurs within a 50 mile radius of the territorial City limits of the City to be visited as shown in Your itinerary and the United States government issues a travel advisory indicating that Americans should not travel to a City named on the itinerary."

Fortunately I have the Travel Insured policy for our cruise embarking Istanbul next year. No State Department declaration needed.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

I didn't book any travel insurance with my cruise is there some basic coverage included in all travel?

Idk what country you live in but in the US pretty sure you either purchase the right plan or are out of luck. That goes for medical costs as well as trip delay, missed flight... I purchase cruise insurance for medical coverage in foreign countries. The cost of the trip is minimal compared to what a medical emergency could cost.

Obviously if things went terribly awry the cruise line would cancel. But even so, unless you have purchased an insurance plan you're going to be out something. Even with insurance you might not be covered. All depends on the plan you purchase and reason for cancel.

I didn't book any travel insurance with my cruise is there some basic coverage included in all travel?

It may not be too late for you to buy travel insurance. It would depend upon where you live, the trip and existing conditions. I suggest you visit the Cruise Critic Insurance forum to see if you might get help there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

The warning is for an area about 400 miles away. Nothing near Istanbul. It is Eastern Turkey. Understand everyone has a different comfort level and will just say DW and I are heading to Spain and France is 2 weeks. If we give in to terrorists they win. terrorism is alive and unfortunately well worldwide. Australia, Canada and the USA have had incidents as well.

I agree to some extent, but the key language here is the second paragraph which states that terrorists are targeting Western tourists. This increases the risk of even visiting Istanbul.

I had been to Egypt and wanted to take my DW there, but our cruise that stopped in Alexandria was cancelled. The radicals in Egypt are targeting Western tourists. Yes, some people still go there, but if you go the risks are definitely higher.

The incidents you refer to in Western countries are not incidents where tourists are targeted. Big difference.

I have just checked the UK government site for Turkey and it says:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to within 10 km of the border with Syria and to the city of Diyarbakir.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to:

the remaining areas of Sirnak, Mardin, Sanliurfa, Gaziantep, Diyarbakir, Kilis and Hatay provinces

Siirt, Tunceli and Hakkari

I have checked all of those places and none is near Istanbul. I therefore consider Istanbul to be relatively safe at this time. I will be there in about 2 months, so I hope it continues to be safe.

We are still thinking of booking the Aug 25 Equinox cruise that disembarks in Istanbul.

Both the US and Canadian govt travel sites suggest vigilance and an increased risk but don't actually issue an advisory for Istanbul.

if it looks like its getting worse, we can leave immediately upon disembarkation. My DW would like a chance to get a carpet but we could drop that idea if Istanbul sounds too dangerous.

We'll have to decide before we book of course.

But things get a little hairy if Celebrity decides to pull the plug on Turkey completely after we make our reservations.

Anyone have any idea how bad it could get before they cancel the stop in Istanbul?

If Celebrity does cancel, can anyone suggest the alternate port they might use? Back to Athens maybe?

Does anyone know how would they handle the flight change? Do they organize it for you even if you don't use ChoiceAir? Who pays for the airline rebooking and change fees ?

I called Celebrity and their operator said that nothing had been decided on cancelling the stop in Turkey and that Celebrity would "help" with the airline re-booking if there was a change but what kind of help was not clear. I can't imagine rebooking 3000 people would be easy.

Thanks

Marc C.

We are still thinking of booking the Aug 25 Equinox cruise that disembarks in Istanbul.

Both the US and Canadian govt travel sites suggest vigilance and an increased risk but don't actually issue an advisory for Istanbul.

if it looks like its getting worse, we can leave immediately upon disembarkation. My DW would like a chance to get a carpet but we could drop that idea if Istanbul sounds too dangerous.

But things get a little hairy if Celebrity decides to pull the plug on Turkey completely after we make our reservations.

Anyone have any idea how bad it could get before they cancel the stop in Istanbul?

If Celebrity does cancel, can anyone suggest the alternate port they might use? Back to Athens maybe?

Does anyone know how would they handle the flight change? Do they organize it for you even if you don't use ChoiceAir? Who pays for the airline rebooking and change fees ?

I called Celebrity and their operator said that nothing had been decided on cancelling the stop in Turkey and that Celebrity would "help" with the airline re-booking if there was a change but what kind of help was not clear. I can't imagine rebooking 3000 people would be easy.

Thanks

Marc C.

We're booked on a cruise departing from Istanbul in November. We're going to fly in a couple of days early and already have air purchased on our own. My thought is IF Celebrity changes the port to another, we'll be able to just purchase a one way ticket to wherever the ship will be departing from. Air is usually pretty inexpensive in Europe and I'm sure we'll have more than a couple of days advance notice.

Meanwhile, my TA that I sometimes use thinks I'm nuts to be doing this cruise as it's a Suez Canal transit from Istanbu but that's another story.

Thanks

Marc C.

Make sure you have an extensive inclusive Travel insurance policy to cover all eventualities

• 1 month later...

You can get all 4 perks, a reduced deposit, and 90% off listed price. Of course,

you may have to decide on which side you;re fighting for ( the government or the military) and pick the winning side.

What a dangerous world we are living in. As far as U.S. is concerned, we only have a large air force base used to fight against ISIS and a large number of nukes. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Yikes.

What;s really important is that they get these new production shows sorted out. We must have priorities.

Edited by NordicPrince

You can get all 4 perks, a reduced deposit, and 90% off listed price. Of course,

you may have to decide on which side you;re fighting for ( the government or the military) and pick the winning side.

What a dangerous world we are living in. As far as U.S. is concerned, we only have a large air force base used to fight against ISIS and a large number of nukes. Don't let it ruin your vacation. Yikes.

What;s really important is that they get these new production shows sorted out. We must have priorities.

and dont forget about not being allowed to bring bottled water on board NCL now.

Not quite. He was in Marmaris and is now back in Istanbul

And I stand corrected... Hindsight--based upon verifiable events occurring over a period of eight hours--is predictably 20/20!

My initial response was "in the moment"--specifically meant for an earlier poster who was of the impression that Erdogan was already in Germany-- and was based upon early, widely circulated news reports here as to his vacation spot and as to his next step... In retrospect, surely that intelligence was not intelligent and it has subsequently occurred to me that misinformation might have been planted by the Government so as to keep the military from focusing on Marmaris and/or to otherwise divert attention from Erdogan's travel plans [for a time--after Marmaris was revealed--it was reported that he would be returning to Ankara rather than Istanbul]...

I've not posted to Cruise Critic "in the moment" before and will not do so again... Lesson learned...

Turkey Travel Warning

LAST UPDATED: JULY 16, 2016

The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of increased threats from terrorist groups throughout Turkey and to avoid travel to southeastern Turkey. In light of the July 15 coup attempt and its aftermath, we suggest U.S. citizens reconsider travel to Turkey at this time. This replaces the Travel Warning dated June 27, 2016.

Foreign and U.S. tourists have been explicitly targeted by international and indigenous terrorist organizations. As stated in the Worldwide Caution dated March 3, 2016, throughout Europe extremists have targeted large sporting events, theaters, open markets, aviation services, transportation systems, and public venues where people congregate as well as religious sites and high-profile events. U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans and remain vigilant at all times. U.S. Government personnel in Turkey remain subject to travel restrictions in the southeastern provinces of Hatay, Kilis, Gaziantep, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Diyarbakir, Van, Siirt, Mus, Mardin, Batman, Bingol, Tunceli, Hakkari, Bitlis, and Elazig. U.S. citizens should avoid areas in close proximity to the Syrian border.

Per the Federal Aviation Administration’s notice to airmen (NOTAM) dated July 15, 2016, following the launch of an unsuccessful military coup in Turkey, U.S. airline carriers are currently prohibited from flying to or from Istanbul and Ankara airports. All airline carriers, regardless of country of registry, are currently prohibited from flying into the United States from Turkey either directly or via a third country.

The Department of State extended its March 29, 2016 ordered departure of family members of U.S. Government personnel posted to the U.S. Consulate in Adana and family members of U.S. Government civilians in Izmir province through July 26, 2016. The Department of State terminated its March 29, 2016 ordered departure declaration for Mugla province. The U.S. Consulate in Adana remains open and will continue to provide all routine consular services.

My initial response was "in the moment"--specifically meant for an earlier poster who was of the impression that Erdogan was already in Germany-- and was based upon early, widely circulated news reports here as to his vacation spot and as to his next step...

Mine was similarly intended for a poster who was under an impression that was based upon early news reports... Touché..