Question About Cruising Fjords in Norway & Denmark

Boiler Cruiser

For those of you who have had the opportunity to cruise the Oslo Fjord, Limsfjord and/ or Stockholm Archipelago...do guides join the ships, as they do in Alaska, and provide a narration, calling attention to wildlife and points of interest?

What has been your experience cruising these locations?

We had a narration when we sailed out of Flam. That was the only time.

Also we werenot realy impressed by the Oslo fjord, by far not as nice as Sognefjord or Hardangerfjord.

I've always had the ship's port expert give narration while we sailed through the important waterways in the north country. They have all been very, very good presentations, and I felt fortunate to be able to see and hear all those areas have to offer.

There's no need to bring someone aboard just for that purpose.

We had narration, at least for a time, on both rides through the sail away from Stockholm. I can't remember how long the narration lasted, but it wasn't for the entire four hours of the ride.

I've also heard narration sailing out Oslofjord (which isn't a fjord, but a bay), but I can't remember if it happened every time I sailed out (there's been a bunch of times).

Geirangerfjord, Sognefjord, Hardangerfjord all had narration either on the way in, or the way out. Worth getting up for.

There was also a fabulous narration sailing out of Murmansk, and around North Cape, as well as other points north.

The Stockholm archipelago was the surprise of our trip. I hadn't known anything about it before we entered into that delightful water passageway with small islands, vacation homes and lush forests - you could almost reach out and touch the many, many small islands.

Then our treat was to anchor right in the middle of the old town harbor area. This meant we had to tender on and off the ship, but what a wonderful location, central to everything and surrounded by intimate city views.

One of our many great HAL cruise - a specialty one called - "Northern Strongholds" on the Rotterdam - a repositioning cruise -shoulder season. Wish they would offer that itinerary again - including the small Danish island of Borhholm.

Eurodam Baltic/Viking Passage Cruises, 2013:

Our On Location expert--who truly did fit the title--did provide commentary from the Crow's Nest when we sailed from Stockholm. Also, commentary was offered from other ports as well and he was joined by a native of Iceland for the Icelandic ports as well as some others. Added to the cruises' enjoyment immensely!